HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Can someone tell me how a HDTV antenna works? I have a 42" Samsung Plasma and a standard definition Direct TV receiver. Can I still use the HDTV antenna?

I was wondering since Plasma is so much better than LCD why are LCD's more expensive and more recommended at the stores?

Originally Posted by patrickcakes

Can someone tell me how a HDTV antenna works? I have a 42" Samsung Plasma and a standard definition Direct TV receiver. Can I still use the HDTV antenna?
You can pick up your Local HD channels.

Originally Posted by SGS MM

I was wondering since Plasma is so much better than LCD why are LCD's more expensive and more recommended at the stores?

its not that they're are better. Plasmas and LCDs are like toasters and toaster ovens. Some like one over the other depending on said persons need.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Originally Posted by monday22

ok NT - i want a tv ($3000 max) for a gameroom thats currently empty

im thinking 46 or 52" Samsung Touch of Color 120mhz LCD, thoughts?

i mainly just play ps3, wii, and watch movies. I dont really watch tv too much (dont even have cable tv, lol...)

Should I go with TofC Samsung or just get a cheaper LCD if it means savin $ ?
If thats your whole budget for the set up... Cut down your TV costs, then go and get some nice audio... maybe customize a 5.1 surround with a nice receiver
pimp.gif

$1800 on a LN46A650 with $1200 to mess with on speakers + receiver...

All before tax of course.

......thanks for the comments/suggestions

i guess im just a TV newb and dont know what a TV should cost for my needs...i want the samsung cuz the display @ the store was gorgeous and lookd better than other TVs...will i really notice any difference if i choose another samsung LN52A530 for about $1900 ?? again i dont know what all is involved in the audio set-up but ive been putting off gettn a tv for about 3 yrs now so i think im finally ready and just want a tv thats awesome and that will last a long time with little to no repairs

Originally Posted by LALAKERFAN213

My setup
That is a nice set up. Iron Man theme?

i mainly just play ps3, wii, and watch movies. I dont really watch tv too much (dont even have cable tv, lol...)

If thats your whole budget for the set up... Cut down your TV costs, then go and get some nice audio... maybe customize a 5.1 surround with a nice receiver
pimp.gif

i guess im just a TV newb and dont know what a TV should cost for my needs...i want the samsung cuz the display @ the store was gorgeous and lookd better than other TVs...will i really notice any difference if i choose another samsung LN52A530 for about $1900 ?? again i dont know what all is involved in the audio set-up but ive been putting off gettn a tv for about 3 yrs now so i think im finally ready and just want a tv thats awesome and that will last a long time with little to no repairs

I'll be right back with some stuff for you.

Originally Posted by MexicanSoul

Originally Posted by SGS MM

its not that they're are better. Plasmas and LCDs are like toasters and toaster ovens. Some like one over the other depending on said persons need.
Thats a pretty good simile actually.

I just picked up two 32" samsungs for $910 out the door and 0% financing. Hooking it up right now, pics will be up in minutes
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by LALAKERFAN213

Thanks...it is just the Iron Man game demo.
Oh. The stand had me thinking Iron Man. How is that game BTW?
I just picked up two 32" samsungs for $910 out the door and 0% financing. Hooking it up right now, pics will be up in minutes
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
More details? And we'll be waiting.
pimp.gif

I think LCD is marketed more because there are more name brands that make LCD TVs and there are hardly any name brands that make good plasmas. Also, there areless plasma screens available at smaller sizes because it's harder to pack in pixels in the smaller screen areas. That's generally why most smallerplasmas are 720p and the bigger 1080p plasma screens generally cost more.

pimp.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Sam...id=1226902151&sr=1-1#
http://www.amazon.com/Sam...qid=1226902151&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Sam...qid=1226902151&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Sam...qid=1226902151&sr=1-6
http://www.amazon.com/Sam...qid=1226902151&sr=1-8

Do you have a TV stand yet?

Here's my set-ups. (Sorry for the monstrous pics)

In my main floor living area. 40" Samsung LCD w/ PS3, Xbox 360, DVR, Phillips Surround Sound System.
2qvteyr.jpg

The Blu-Ray collection!
1zzqkg3.jpg

This is my basement living area, or "the mancave" as I like to call it.

Here's my 61" Samsung DLP w/ PS3, DVR, Altec Surround System.
x283dd.jpg

Here's my "command center"...lol. AKA my recliner with laptop stand and mini fridge. I always wanted a recliner with a mini-fridge next to it incollege, so those are two of the first things I bought after I graduated.
zmjr5h.jpg

The other side of the room.
2qlygdx.jpg

The pool table room...
2ynp0zt.jpg

SO gottagitdemjs I'm gonna take a wild guess and say your a blu ray fan.

But seriously great house man. I want a mancave lol. Whats up with the movie posters? I'm digging those. Info please?

Originally Posted by RKO2004

But seriously great house man. I want a mancave lol. Whats up with the movie posters? I'm digging those. Info please?
I get all of my Blu-rays from CD tradepost. I've never paid retail for one. As for the posters, I just get the movie posters off ebay and buythe frames from WalMart. On the pic facing the pool table, there is a Superman I and Superman Returns poster behind me that I didn't take pics of. Oh andif anybody is wondering, all of my HDMI cables were purchased on monoprice.com...don't waste your money on expensive cables.

i will post my set up later aint nothing much... the samsung toc LN46A650 in AMAZING!!!!!!!!!...
laugh.gif
it even plays a little melody when you turn it on and off

Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs

I get all of my Blu-rays from CD tradepost. I've never paid retail for one. As for the posters, I just get the movie posters off ebay and buy the frames from WalMart. On the pic facing the pool table, there is a Superman I and Superman Returns poster behind me that I didn't take pics of. Oh and if anybody is wondering, all of my HDMI cables were purchased on monoprice.com...don't waste your money on expensive cables.
Thanks for the info. How is monprice's shipping? I'll have to look into CD tradepost. Sounds good. And you know whats crazy. I love theanimated series of superman but I don't like his movies. I'm a Batman guy. Mainly because anybody can be Batman if they had the resources
laugh.gif

I get all of my Blu-rays from CD tradepost. I've never paid retail for one. As for the posters, I just get the movie posters off ebay and buy the frames from WalMart. On the pic facing the pool table, there is a Superman I and Superman Returns poster behind me that I didn't take pics of. Oh and if anybody is wondering, all of my HDMI cables were purchased on monoprice.com...don't waste your money on expensive cables.
Thanks for the info. How is monprice's shipping? I'll have to look into CD tradepost. Sounds good. And you know whats crazy. I love the animated series of superman but I don't like his movies. I'm a Batman guy. Mainly because anybody can be Batman if they had the resources
laugh.gif
i picked up to red hdmi cables from them and they ship FAST... i really didnt know what KDMI cables to get but with a avs foums they helped out alot....
just get the 1.3 category 2... and you do not need those big thick cables unless you are running them long ways... all i got was the 6ft

Here's my "command center"...lol. AKA my recliner with laptop stand and mini fridge. I always wanted a recliner with a mini-fridge next to it in college, so those are two of the first things I bought after I graduated.
my command center>your command center.
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
. it's funny because me and my friends actually refer to it as the command center. nicefrikkin setups though. youre right, mini fridges are a must. its off to the side in this pic, but really should be the center piece of the room
laugh.gif

3033857823_48daa024e4_o.jpg

*edit - freshh/eman - right on for the NES. had to take it apart and clean it up to get it working right
laugh.gif
. thanks though, appreciate it.

Hey guys I'm looking for a HDTV for my room. Something I could mount would be nice and cheap too. Size isn't that important as long as it's in HD.But I'm looking for something around the mid 20 to 30 inches. How much am I looking to spend? Looking for a GOOD HDTV tv but also cheap. Is that possible?lol.

Some stuff I got from the BESTBUY Black Friday ad :

-LG 32" Widescreen 1080p LCD HDTV w/ Free TV Setup - $699.98
-Samsung 32" Widescreen LCD HDTV - $499.99
-Samsung 42" Widescreen Plasma HDTV - $699.99

But I've spotted this. Seems like I can't go wrong.
TV

What you guys think?

Originally Posted by Tom Jooks

Hey guys I'm looking for a HDTV for my room. Something I could mount would be nice and cheap too. Size isn't that important as long as it's in HD. But I'm looking for something around the mid 20 to 30 inches. How much am I looking to spend? Looking for a GOOD HDTV tv but also cheap. Is that possible? lol.

Some stuff I got from the BESTBUY Black Friday ad :

-LG 32" Widescreen 1080p LCD HDTV w/ Free TV Setup - $699.98
-Samsung 32" Widescreen LCD HDTV - $499.99
-Samsung 42" Widescreen Plasma HDTV - $699.99

But I've spotted this. Seems like I can't go wrong.
TV

What you guys think?
Hmmm I would go with the tv on amazon or the LG. Those seem like the best options.

Back
Top Bottom