HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

second one. only 100 bucks more but double your refresh rate

That's what I was leaning towards too and the fact that I can always plug my computers into the tv so I don't neccessarily need an internet tv but I really want one I'm just trying to find a reason to justify spending more just because

Been looking for some good overall 2.1 speakers to connect it to the tv. Been seeing some mixed reviews with some that I've looked at though.

nerd.gif
Any 2.1 for a 150$ price range? I can probably do 200$ too.

This theater is 
eek.gif

Gear and accessories as follows: Marantz AV7005 pre-pro, 2 x Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks for mains, Rotel RMB-1095 5 channel amp for center and surrounds, Swan F2.2+ mains, Swan 2.3C+ center, Swan R3 surrounds and C3 rear surround , SVS PB-12 Ultra/2 sub, Sony S560 Blu-Ray, Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD, Buttkicker 300, Samsung 63'' plasma, Lovan rack, Harmony One, Emotiva/Monster/Blue Jeans interconnects, 4 dedicated circuits w/medical grade outlets, 3 zone X10 RF lighting control.

The small front stage area includes a built-in cable management hole and track in the back. The curtains also help to hide all of the cables by passing them under to the rear area, where I left room to channel them around. The Swan F2.2+ mains are as big as they look, making my 63'' plasma actually seem much smaller on the pics when hanging between them. Swan's 2.3C+ center is as good as a main speaker on it's own. Although capable of wall cracking dynamics in my room, IMO, these speakers are also quite exceptional at delivering very detailed and transparent sound on softer classical and jazz music.

The left side area shows the entrance/exit of the room, leading upstairs to the main floor of the house. I designed a transition area there with a curtain entrance, setting a theater atmosphere when arriving. All posters are original, full size editions that were used for the cinema showing of those movies. The Forrest Gump one is actually the ''July 6'' preview poster, quite rare. The Matrix poster was the version used for theater relaunch of the movie.

Had a plexiglass sign custom made and installed in the entrance area where the curtains are.

The Emotiva monoblocks each drive one main, giving them all the headroom my ears can handle, and then some.

Properly isolate my source player, specially with the sub sitting only a couple of feet away.

Modified a basic door, giving it an old art deco style theater design. Columns with dimmable sconces were installed on both sides, adding to that atmosphere.

Backstage, behind the front wall curtains, I left room to route my connections. Now that I've finished upgrading components, I'll be channeling the cables properly this week-end. I installed three dedicated 15A outlets for the various components + another dedicated outlet for lighting. At the end of the wall, the SVS serial killer hides behind the curtains, waiting to claim it's next victim
biggrin.gif

Also built a riser area with built-in tube LED for the back row seats, matching the small front stage in design.

My original front center speaker now serves as rear center surround.

My X10 3 zone lighting control. The front zone sconce/curtain lights are dimmable, the second zone controls the LED tube on the riser and the theater sign. The third zone controls the rear poster and staircase lights.

Originally Posted by CampbellSoup

Son just shut this post down.

May I ask what you do for a living, sir?

Nice setup. Actually, beyond nice.

Yes, MNR has The Pregnant Theater.

That's not his place
laugh.gif

holy **** Monday, how much do you think something like that would run?

We have an unfinished room that my dad is gonna convert into a media room once my sister get's out of high school and hopefully gets a scholarship.

Here's my set up:

42" Phillips 1080p LCD
Sony BDP S550 Bluray Player
Denon AVR 3805 Receiver
Dali Evidence 870 Main Towers
Definitive BP-8 rear channel towers
EPOS M8 Center Channel
Velodyne F-1200 Sub
Sony Turntable
Monster HT1500 power strip
PS Audio upgraded wall socket
4th generation IPOD
Logitech Harmony 550 Universal Remote

Both book cases are for movies and vinyl

CD Collection in bedroom since I use my system as music first and movies second.

And then this is my son's setup which is video games first and movies second.

I do plan to upgrade this year and get a Marantz SR5005 receiver so Ican get uncompressed audio for movies and HDMI hookup, Peachtree Novaintegrated amp for stereo use only, Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 turntable and ifmoney permits a 50" Panasonic Plasma to put on the wall and then I'll beable to center my turntable on the entertainment center so it's notjust pushed off to the side and then I'll be making these speaker cableupgrades http://www.6moons.com/aud...ightning/moonshine.html. And would also love to upgrade my sub but that's last on the list and haven't decided on which sub I want to get.

How would I connect speakers like this to my computer?
We have some laying around and I'm wondering if it's possible
h065CS23B-B.jpeg

Originally Posted by jc619er

Here's my set up:

42" Phillips 1080p LCD
Sony BDP S550 Bluray Player
Denon AVR 3805 Receiver
Dali Evidence 870 Main Towers
Definitive BP-8 rear channel towers
EPOS M8 Center Channel
Velodyne F-1200 Sub
Sony Turntable
Monster HT1500 power strip
PS Audio upgraded wall socket
4th generation IPOD
Logitech Harmony 550 Universal Remote

Both book cases are for movies and vinyl

That's not a bad setup, but that 42" is way too small.  shoot for a 55"?

Originally Posted by omgitswes

h065CS23B-B.jpeg

it's possible.  i'm not that knowledgeable with a/v stuff, but i think you're gonna need to get a receiver to power them.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

How do i play my iPod on my HDTV, while playin' PS3 on the same TV?

Dont think it would be possible. Your PS3 is using the sound input already for your tv. You would have to play the ipod through the PS3 if thats possible (i think you can do that on XBOX)

h065CS23B-B.jpeg
If you're tight on space and just want to hook up two speakers, here's a nice little small amp that will do the job perfect. Just take an RCA out from your sound card and then plug it into this amp and you're good to go.

http://www.audioadvisor.c...rodinfo.asp?number=AUN22

Originally Posted by jc619er

h065CS23B-B.jpeg
If you're tight on space and just want to hook up two speakers, here's a nice little small amp that will do the job perfect. Just take an RCA out from your sound card and then plug it into this amp and you're good to go.

http://www.audioadvisor.c...rodinfo.asp?number=AUN22
200 for that?
grin.gif

http://www.parts-express....l.cfm?Partnumber=300-380

Btw, guys..that theater is definitely not mine..i am not about that life yet
laugh.gif

Yo, that's what's up.
Thanks bro, exactly what I need

Does it matter what it powers though? There are two bookshelf speakers or I can just grab this one center speaker and put it under my desk. Not sure of the models on either, I'll go take a picture of them brb

Never mind the center one, that's actually being used. But these are the two I was talking about, model number was on the back.
After looking at a few reviews real quick, no wonder they're not being used. Most reviews were pretty negative. They should be fine just for computer use though right? mainly gaming
I may need to get a sound car too instead of using on board sound
2857_1.jpg

[h1]Yamaha NS-A638[/h1]

[table][tr][th=""]Type[/th][td]Three-Way Acoustic Suspension, Magnetically Shielded Bookshelf[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Driver Complement[/th][td]Woofer = 8 in. Hi-polymer Coated Cone with Inverted Dust Cover, Midrange = 4 in. cone with Inverted Dust cover, Tweeter = 3/4 ' in. Dome, Ferro-fluid cooled[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Input Power[/th][td]Nominal = 70 W, Music Input = 140W[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Frequency Range[/th][td]90 to 20,000 Hz[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Sensitivity[/th][td]91 dB/W/M[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Dimensions[/th][td]Width = 10-1/2 in., Height = 16-3/16 in., Depth = 13 in.[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Weight[/th][td]14 lbs., 6 oz.[/td][/tr][/table]

Never mind the center one, that's actually being used. But these are the two I was talking about, model number was on the back.
After looking at a few reviews real quick, no wonder they're not being used. Most reviews were pretty negative. They should be fine just for computer use though right? mainly gaming
I may need to get a sound car too instead of using on board sound
2857_1.jpg

[h1]Yamaha NS-A638[/h1]

[table][tr][th=""]Type[/th][td]Three-Way Acoustic Suspension, Magnetically Shielded Bookshelf[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Driver Complement[/th][td]Woofer = 8 in. Hi-polymer Coated Cone with Inverted Dust Cover, Midrange = 4 in. cone with Inverted Dust cover, Tweeter = 3/4 ' in. Dome, Ferro-fluid cooled[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Input Power[/th][td]Nominal = 70 W, Music Input = 140W[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Frequency Range[/th][td]90 to 20,000 Hz[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Sensitivity[/th][td]91 dB/W/M[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Dimensions[/th][td]Width = 10-1/2 in., Height = 16-3/16 in., Depth = 13 in.[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Weight[/th][td]14 lbs., 6 oz.[/td][/tr][/table]
Those will work nicely on that. But yeah as far as the sound card goes as long as it can output an RCA jack somehow that's all you need. You want to just make sure that it's a pure signal coming out of the sound card and then the amp will take over as your volume control.

I've been too far removed from TVs to know as much as I once did.

That being said, we'd like to get one for the new house.

No bigger than a 42, ideally, 40.

The living room gets a lot of light as it basically faces west.

We don't watch a ton of shows, stream shows from netflix, some video games and sports is important.

Is Samsung still good as a LCD/LED brand? Would Plasma not be so good due to the reflection from sun/glass?

Ideally don't want to spend over $1000

Back
Top Bottom