HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

just picked this up for 380 total at bb...it has a pc port to use as a monitor and some usb slots, theres different models i guess mines is the good s-ips screen theres also a tn panel screen too idk ...ill post some pics when i set it up

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I've been too far removed from TVs to know as much as I once did.

That being said, we'd like to get one for the new house.

No bigger than a 42, ideally, 40.

The living room gets a lot of light as it basically faces west.

We don't watch a ton of shows, stream shows from netflix, some video games and sports is important.

Is Samsung still good as a LCD/LED brand? Would Plasma not be so good due to the reflection from sun/glass?

Ideally don't want to spend over $1000

You can get solid tv's for under $1000.  I would recommend going for something 46' and above for the living room.  They don't take much space, especially if they are wall mounted.  It sounds like you are trying to say you don't use your tv a lot, when in fact you do use your tv a lot,
laugh.gif

Samsung is good, I love my 6 series that I got from Fry's for $700 (46' LCD), just lurk on slickdeals and when you find a tv you like pounce on that @**+#***!$#%.

Quick question, how do you guys deal with glare from lighting?  I have a ceiling light, and it bugs the %%#* out of me, simple solution is turning the light off obviously, but a lot of times I'm watching tv while doing stuff in the room so I need the light on.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Samsung is good, I love my 6 series that I got from Fry's for $700 (46' LCD), just lurk on slickdeals and when you find a tv you like pounce on that @**+#***!$#%.
precisely. check out SD every day, you'll find a steal at some point. just make sure to buy quickly. they had this one a few days ago and i'm glad I didn't give it a second thought 'cause it literally sold out within hours.

Quick question, how do you guys deal with glare from lighting?  I have a ceiling light, and it bugs the %%#* out of me, simple solution is turning the light off obviously, but a lot of times I'm watching tv while doing stuff in the room so I need the light on.
Honestly I've never had a lighting issue, but if you somehow can point your lights away or have the TV in a position where the light is not directly pointing at it. I know that sounds hard but that's really about the only way. Or get some sort of recessed ceiling lights, that helps as well.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I've been too far removed from TVs to know as much as I once did.

That being said, we'd like to get one for the new house.

No bigger than a 42, ideally, 40.

The living room gets a lot of light as it basically faces west.

We don't watch a ton of shows, stream shows from netflix, some video games and sports is important.

Is Samsung still good as a LCD/LED brand? Would Plasma not be so good due to the reflection from sun/glass?

Ideally don't want to spend over $1000

You can get solid tv's for under $1000.  I would recommend going for something 46' and above for the living room.  They don't take much space, especially if they are wall mounted.  It sounds like you are trying to say you don't use your tv a lot, when in fact you do use your tv a lot,
laugh.gif

Yeah I can see how you'd think we watch a lot of tv from what I said...I meant it more as what type of things we watch. We don't steam a lot of shows, but more so than watching cable (which haven't had for months). I'm just trying to give examples of what we do watch for screen preference.I think a 46 is going to be too big cuz of the layout of the room. From the couch we wont be too far from the tv. It's an intimate setting with a fire place.

Honestly I've never had a lighting issue, but if you somehow can point your lights away or have the TV in a position where the light is not directly pointing at it. I know that sounds hard but that's really about the only way. Or get some sort of recessed ceiling lights, that helps as well.
Guess, I'm going to change the light fixtures, %+%+

Another

Speakers:

Martin Logan;
Prodigy (mains)
Theater (center)
4 Scripts (sides & rear)

Subs:

JL Audio Fathom f113(x2)

Preamp/Processor:

Denon AVP-A1HDCI

Amplifiers:

McIntosh MC501(x2) (Mono-block amps)
McIntosh MC205 (5-channel amp)

Sources:

McIntosh MCD500 (SACD/CD player)
Oppo BDP93 (blu-ray)
Toshiba A-35 (HD-DVD)
DirecTV HR-21

Display:

JVC DLA-HD950 projector and Stewart Firehawk G3 screen

Power Protection:

PS Audio Power Plant Premier PPP(x2)

Cables:

Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cables

Acoustic Treatments:

Two Reel Traps behind the Prodigies

Components that have been put in the storage closet
frown.gif
... for now:

Pioneer Elite CLD-99 (Laser disc)
B&K DT-1 (RF demodulator)
Pioneer Elite PDR-19RW (CD-recorder) - Pre PC burners
Mitsubishi HS-U65 (S-VHS)
Nakamichi DR-2 (Cassette)

Stand:

Salamander Synergy Triple 30 337.

The McIntosh MC501 mono-block amp:

The McIntosh MC205 5-channel amp:

The McIntosh MCD500 SACD player:

Another of the MCD500:

Dual PPPs PS Audio Power Plant Premier

Martin Logan Theater center channel speaker:

Martin Logan Script right side:

Martin Logan Script left side:

Autographed by the TNG crew, except for Michael Dorn (Worf):

JVC DLA-HD950 projector:

Martin Logan Scripts left & right rear, plus the BD/DVD/CD collection:

Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cables:

rock.gif

Starting with a base point of a Denon AVR5800 and Paradigm Signature speakers that I owned in ~2005, I started trying out different high-end processor/ amp cobos. First up was the NAD M15 prepro and M25 amp, then the Anthem D2 and matching Anthem Amp, and a few years later the Lexicon MC12HD and the Lexicon LX7 amp. In regards to innate sound quality (sans processing) I heard slight differences between them ( the NAD a little smoother, the Anthem a bit brighter / more clinical, and the Lexicon being somewhere between), but none of the differences were significant enough to result in a strong preference from me. However, the Logic 7 surround processing was significantly better than the processing in the other two, so I stuck with that.

To try to take my system to the next level, I got a Linn Unidisk and a Classe Delta series CD player on loan from a local dealer. I ran both players into the Lexicon via coax digital and analog connections. Again the differences were so slight that I felt no compelling reason to buy these to replace the Lexicon RT-20 player I owned at the time, which incidentally is a rebadged Marantz player.

After the CD players, I decided to try out a few different amps. The Lexicon LX-7 amp was my current amp (Lexicon design, Crown made), which I compared to a pair of Bel Canto Ref 1000s, a Parasound Halo A51, and a pair of Classe CAM-400 monoblocks. Four very different designs, and four very different price points. At the time, these amps were all paired to the Lexicon and Revel Studio2 speakers. You would think that the $10K a pair Classe monblocks would have stomped all over the other amps. To me, they didn’t. And CAM-400’s are small-refrigerator sized, 400 watt amps that run in pure Class A mode for the 100 watts. Were four amps identical? No. Were they within 15% of each other? To me, yes.

Not being completely satisfied with the Lexicon / Revel combo, on the recommendation of my acoustician, I bought the Classe SSP-800 and CA-5100 amp combo to try out. I did find the sound of the Classe stack to be a bit smoother and more “analog

What in the tiger woods is going on here? some of you guys have some amazing systems and setups!
Great stuff!

These are not my setups

For 2 channel listening:
Monitor Audio Gold Reference GR20 speakers
Odyssey Candela tube (12AU7) preamp with HT bypass - one of my favorite pieces of equip. together with Pass and the Bryston DAC...
Pass Labs x350.5 2 channel power amplifier 350wpc, first 30 watts of pure class A power
Shunyata Venom Power Cord for the Pass amp
Bryston BDA-1 DAC (see pic at bottom of page)
dbx223XL active crossover
Pioneer PL-530 turntable
John Kenny Modified M2Tech HiFace USB Transport
Streaming FLAC files from my pc using Foobar2000
Jensen IsoMax isolation transformer
Custom made speaker cables, XLR and RCA by John Wood
Oyaide DB-510 BNC from the USB transport to the DAC

HT setup:
All of the above plus:
Onkyo Tx Sr 805 receiver
Polk Surrounds OWM5
Polk Surround backs OWM3
Polk center (upgrading to M.Audio sometime in the near future)
Velodyne CT-150 15" sub
Panasonic BD-30 bluray player
Pioneer 51FD bluray player
JVC VHS player (still keeping it for the unbelievable build quality)...
Pioneer KURO Elite 9G Pro 151-FD 60" plasma
Toshiba A30 HD-DVD player (not shown in pictures)
XBOX 360 slim in black color
Harmony 880
monster RCA and monoprice HDMI, optical and digital coax cables

Room Treatments:
OC 705 bass traps: 4 pieces
OC 703 4 x 2 panels: 14 pieces
OC 703 2x 2 panels: 4 pieces
Poly diffusers: 14 pieces
All hand made by yours truly...

Other:
Panamax 5400 power conditioner/voltage regulator
Cowon D2 PMP, 8GB + 16GB expandable SDHC card
Lutron remote control dimmer

Here are some pics:

64522_full.jpg

64519_full.jpg

64514_full.jpg

64520_full.jpg

64515_full.jpg

64516_full.jpg

64517_full.jpg

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Kuro's being gone makes me sad 
frown.gif

Yeah it really does suckI had a kuro, but ditched it for a XBR which I don't even own anymore.Biggest mistake I ever made......smdh

Back
Top Bottom