HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

TimelessFlight wrote:
Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Originally Posted by TimelessFlight

anybody who watches blue ray movies on their PS3, what settings do you guys have it on? I have a 32" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV 720p, capable of playing 1080p

thanks man

�� This video pretty much just tells you�to leave everything at the default setting.

Question: I have an LCD monitor from my computer that I don't use anymore, I want to put it in my kitchen. Itjust a display, no tuner and I don't want to buy another cable box for it. Do you think I could use a splitter on the cable coax from the wall and connectit to one of those DTV converters or some other kind of converter and use that. I can run the audio through some small speaker I have. Would that work?

[h2]HDMI Receivers: The Two Best Buys on the Planet![/h2]
txsr_607b_front_300.jpg

Onkyo TX-SR607

vsx1018.jpg

Pioneer VSX-1019

(Note- this is an updated page to reflect a model change from both Onkyo and Pioneer.)

If you are building a new surround sound system and looking for the best value in an HDMI receiver, the Onkyo TX-SR607 and the http://The SpeakerCompany and you will have a home theater with sound that belies the price.

Current Pricing

As I type this, Amazon.com has the TX-SR607 for $459.95. The Pioneer VSX-1019 is selling on Amazon for $469.00. As you will see, the value you get for yourmoney with these products in unbeatable and makes it hard to justify spending much more on a receiver, unless you have very expensive and demanding speakers ora very large room.

Feature Set

I said they had an unbeatable combo of advanced features- here they are!

High-Def Audio Decoding

truehddtshdma.jpg

The ability to decode bitstreamed Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio is a must-have as the market transitions from DVD to Blu-ray. Both the TX-SR607 andthe VSX-1019 can decode these lossless, high definition sound formats, both of which can duplicate the sound quality of the studio's original master tape.It literally doesn't get any better, and the difference between lossless sound and ordinary Dolby Digital and DTS is dramatic, to say the least.

dts_hd_606.jpg

Seeing this on your display tells you the receiver is decoding he high-def audio properly.

To enjoy lossless sound via the receiver's decoding, connect your Blu-ray player to the receiver with an HDMI cable, enter the player's setup menusand set audio to "Bitstream" or HD Audio Output." Different players will have different names for it, but the function is the same.

If you have a PlayStation 3 for Blu-ray, it will decode the high-def audio internally and send it out as a generic digital audio "PCM" signal. Itwill still be lossless but you won't see DTS-HD MSTR or DOLBY TRUEHD light up on the front of your receiver.

Multiple HDMI Inputs

607_hdmi.jpg

TX-SR607 HDMI inputs and output

The Onkyo TX-SR606 has 5 HDMI inputs, the Pioneer VSX-1018 has 4 HDMI inputs.

Clean, Ample Power

These ratings must be taken with something of a grain of salt. Almost all home theater receivers are rated optimistically, and they are measured with onlyone channel driven to full power. I can assure you that if you compared a 75 watt per channel home theater amplifier from the likes of Outlaw Audio, it wouldblow these two away, despite the receivers' higher ratings. What is important to know is that both of these receivers have ample power for a medium tomedium-large room when used with appropriate speakers. I will explain their power ratings below.

Onkyo: 90 watts per channel from 20-20,000 Hz, THD .08% at 8 ohms

Pioneer: 120 watts per channel at 1,000 Hz, THD .05% at 8 ohms

THD means Total Harmonic Distortion, i.e. the level of distortion. Note that the Onkyo is rated over the entire audible range, 20 Hz (lowest audible bass)to 20,000 Hz (highest audible treble) and the Pioneer is only rated at one frequency, 1,000 Hz. This is fudging the numbers somewhat… it would be better if wehad a rating from the Pioneer that was from 20-20,000 Hz. My research tells me that in real-world conditions, the Onkyo has a more powerful amplifier despitethe ratings and the lower price. I wouldn't worry too much about it though as both should have more than enough to meet your needs.

Video Processing

Both receivers use video processing from Faroudja, one of the better names in the business. The Onkyo upscales to 1080i, the Pioneer to 1080p.

Automatic Setup and Room Correction

mcacc_mic.jpg

MCACC microphone input, located on the front panel.

Both systems allow you to connect a microphone to the receiver and engage an automatic setup function. The microphone is placed in the listening area andthe receiver plays test tones while measuring the results with the microphone. Both systems not only configure your speakers, they measure the effect of yourroom's acoustics and makes adjustments (equalization) to make the system sound its best. The Onkyo's system is called Audyssey2EQ. The Pioneer's iscalled MCACC Advanced Room Correction.

mcacc.jpg

MCACC Advanced Room Correction provides superior performance.

I've never had good luck with automatic setup systems on lower priced gear, from versions of Audyssey to Sherwood Newcastle's SNAP. SNAP isn'teven a lower priced option - the processor I used it with cost $1,500, and that did not even include an amplifier. No matter how the automatic systemsconfigured and adjusted the system, I always found I preferred the sound of the system when I set it up on my own and turned off the equalization. In short,they were doing more harm than good.

Pioneer's Advanced MCACC is a game changer in this regard. It's simply fantastic and yielded an improvement that was dramatic and obvious. If I hadthe Onkyo I would set it up myself. If I had the Pioneer, I would definitely use the MCACC.

Satellite-Ready

Both receivers are satellite ready. Just add the antenna and a subscription and you are good to go. The Onkyo is compatible with one service, the Pioneer iscompatible with both services.

Onkyo: Sirius Satellite-Ready with On Screen Display

Pioneer: Sirius and XM Satellite-Ready with On Screen Display

iPod Connectivity

ipod_1018.jpg

The Pioneer has an iPod-ready USB port on the front panel.

Onkyo vs. Pioneer

Onkyo Advantages

• 6 HDMI inputs, one more than the Pioneer
  • Real-world power is likely to be higher, based on test reports of other models from both manufacturers
  • Lower price
Pioneer Advantages
  • Advanced MCACC system provides superior performance and a noticeable improvement in sound quality
  • 1080p upscaling vs. 1080i upscaling in the Onkyo
  • Better remote control
  • iPod USB Connectivity
  • Compatible with both Sirius and XM satellite radio
  • An informal straw poll shows most preferred the styling, finish and LCD display over the Onkyo, so you may prefer it as well
What would I buy?

The actual answer to this question is I have already purchased one of each unit and use them to test speakers that are likely to be paired with them. Iwouldn't test a pair of $3,000 speakers with a $500 receiver (though these are up to the task in a lot of cases) nor would I test a $500 set of surroundspeakers with $8,000 worth of amplifier and surround processor.

My overall preference is for the Pioneer, mostly for its MCACC system but I love its high-end look, too. I consider the looks a bonus while I enjoy theamazing sound that I know has been equalized near-perfectly for my room and speakers. It's fun to watch the on-screen display as the VSX-1019 go throughits paces and configures the system, and the difference made by the room correction must be heard to be appreciated. It really is that good, and at the price,a game changer.

Reasons to buy the Onkyo: it is less expensive, it has an additional HDMI input, and I believe it to be more powerful in real-world conditions. If you have4-ohm speakers like the Acculine A3 towers I would rather drive them with the Onkyo that with the Pioneer. If you have speakers that promise to be easy todrive (which is almost everything selling in the sub-$2,000 price range) and you won't be playing especially loud, the Pioneer will be more thanadequate.

You can't go wrong no matter which you choose. The Pioneer has more going for it in the way of features, but the real draw is the MCACC. If you need 4HDMI inputs, I'd go for the Onkyo and never doubt my choice for a second.

Finally ditched the LCD... Bought a Panasonic this weekend
pimp.gif

Breaking it in right now...
wtx5e0.jpg

If anyone is looking for an entry receiver your best bet is to go with the Denon 1610/590.

Got one recently and it is clean
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Question: I have an LCD monitor from my computer that I don't use anymore, I want to put it in my kitchen. It just a display, no tuner and I don't want to buy another cable box for it. Do you think I could use a splitter on the cable coax from the wall and connect it to one of those DTV converters or some other kind of converter and use that. I can run the audio through some small speaker I have. Would that work?
Did you get it working?

And can someone give me a backlight link? Like for the lamp, clamp and bulb?

Got around to my new setup. Replaced my old Klipsch towers (they were literally 4 feet tall) with this KEF setup. Definitely an upgrade in sound quality andlooks. Next step is getting a new entertainment center and cleaning up my wires.

3771073326_999e8c6aa4_o.jpg

My setup is now:

KEF iQ3 mains
KEF Q6c center
Klipsch CTD-3650 x 4 in the ceiling (surround and surround back)
Energy S10.2 sub
Sammy PN50A550 Plasma
Yammy RX-V1600 Receiver

Just picked up a Samsung 40" B630 on sunday. Got it at a really good price but I already have a 32" in my room. Anyone know the best place to selltv's locally other than craigslist?

I have a samsung 550 series 40inch 1080p 60hz and a samsung blu Ray 1500..I need something with good surround cuz so far not happy wit the sound quality..anyhelp or suggestions?

Originally Posted by superman1007

I have a samsung 550 series 40inch 1080p 60hz and a samsung blu Ray 1500..I need something with good surround cuz so far not happy wit the sound quality..any help or suggestions?
Whatever you do stay away from this years sound bar from Samsung, its terrible.

Originally Posted by nnarum

pimp.gif

wtx5e0.jpg
Whats with the blue screen?
nerd.gif

Just picked up a Samsung 40" B630 on sunday. Got it at a really good price but I already have a 32" in my room. Anyone know the best place to sell tv's locally other than craigslist?
Asking around would be best. But craigslist may be your best option.

Which one you trying to sell?

Originally Posted by RKO2004

Originally Posted by nnarum

pimp.gif

wtx5e0.jpg
Whats with the blue screen?
nerd.gif

Just picked up a Samsung 40" B630 on sunday. Got it at a really good price but I already have a 32" in my room. Anyone know the best place to sell tv's locally other than craigslist?
Asking around would be best. But craigslist may be your best option.

Which one you trying to sell?

The 630. I got it for an amazing price that I had to buy it. Its on sale most places right now for $999, but I'm trying to unload it foraround $870. It's still sitting in the box right next to me. But if the home girl will cop the 32" for a decent price then I might just keep it.

I'm breaking it in... The DVD goes through different colors. I'm going to try to calibrate when I've reached 200 hours, I'm almost there...
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by superman1007

I have a samsung 550 series 40inch 1080p 60hz and a samsung blu Ray 1500..I need something with good surround cuz so far not happy wit the sound quality..any help or suggestions?
budget?

3 hours to go! Should be done today
pimp.gif

PS, my camera phone sucks. My digi cam failed on me a couple weeks ago. Sorry about the basura quality.
24gkol4.jpg

So wait have you had the TV on for 200 straight hours??? What does that do for it? And I know Plasmas are supposed to be better for movies and TV, but did theyfix the bun in things for games and stuff?

Originally Posted by jrp44

So wait have you had the TV on for 200 straight hours??? What does that do for it? And I know Plasmas are supposed to be better for movies and TV, but did they fix the bun in things for games and stuff?
No, I have been running it in 6-8 hour intervals. The Break-in DVD plus running max settings will ensure proper aging of the phosphors. I havealso been playing Halo and Madden too in about 1-2 hour sessions.

No signs of IR. The reason besides equal aging of the phosphors is that I want to calibrate it. And many recommend running the DVD with max settings to agethem the best.

BTW, no IR of any logo so far. None from Halo, Madden, ESPN, or baseball with scoreboards. The image quality is bananas.

On AVS, the guys even state it's not necessary with the current plasmas. I'm just doing it as insurance as well.

BTW, straight from Panasonic.

Plasma Myths and Facts

Burn In
Much has been written about the possibility of permanently marking a plasma
screen by viewing a static image on the screen for too long. This is often
referred to as "static image burn in," which is a misnomer. The phosphors are
never "burnt," rather they are unevenly aged. While the possibility of uneven
aging exists, it can also occur with any other phosphor-based display such
as a direct-view CRT television or CRT rear projection TV. Panasonic has
developed new phosphors that are resistant to image burn-in and has added
other features that minimize its occurrence. One such feature imperceptibly
moves the image around the screen to eliminate sharp delineations between
dark and light areas.
There are several simple steps to take to further prevent the possibility of
image burn-in which should be performed during the break-in period.

The streams sent over an optical or coaxial audio cable are encoded to either Dolby digital or DTS to get true surround. BUT, you'll need a decoder to beable to decode these streams into their respective channels. If your receiver doesn't have dd or dts decoders then you'll only get 2.1 channel audio.Left, right, and sub.

Originally Posted by Gmills23

Anyone got experience with surround sound with HDMI cord vs a Digital Optical?

optical cannot support the HD sound formats.

Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS Master Audio cannot be transmitted through optical audio. you must use HDMI 1.3.

The streams sent over an optical or coaxial audio cable are encoded to either Dolby digital or DTS to get true surround. BUT, you'll need a decoder to be able to decode these streams into their respective channels. If your receiver doesn't have dd or dts decoders then you'll only get 2.1 channel audio. Left, right, and sub.

that's not what you said originally. you said that optical and coax cannot support surround. what you're saying here is that if yourreceiver doesn't support it, then you won't get surround.

Back
Top Bottom