HDTV & Audio FAQ, Accessories and TV area setup Official Post Vol. That time again...

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Chill...

5.1 done right is expensive..i'm still using a 2.1 in my living room since i don't have the funds to properly setup 5.1

2 better speakers is way better than buying 7 cheaper ones

less=more
You're in my boat...glad I asked for your input. I'm a minimalist... I dont like clutter so I'll be fine with a 2.1 system. I do light entertaining and just need it for the ipod (people like to bring theirs over) and for date nights.

can anyone recommend a tv? i have a 32 inch samsung, but i want to move it to the bedroom...i need something slightly bigger for the living room maybe 40" or 42" i have $800 to spend...

Follow the link CasperJr posted.  It's a 46" Samsung, the only negative is that it's 60hz (
grin.gif
), but for $815 shipped, not too bad.

I am looking to get a new LCD in the range of 42"-46", is LED LCD worth it or am I better off with a regular LCD?
I'm also considering 120Hz refresh rate, is 240Hz worth the extra $$$ though?

Here's my scenario, I'm trying to get a REAL system not that BS I was dealing with b4
I keep seeing Onkyo in this thread; Are they a good brand known for quality?
I 'm willing to pay up to $500 - $600

I just want a decent sound system for my dorm room that can hook up to my PS3 via optical chord and provide me with True Surround
Should I purchase an altogether system or a separate receiver and piece together separate parts?
It doesn't have to be Onkyo, I just saw it mentioned in here and figured I'd ask
Any help will be appreciated.

Originally Posted by YDBoUnCe

Here's my scenario, I'm trying to get a REAL system not that BS I was dealing with b4

I just want a decent sound system for my dorm room that can hook up to my PS3 via optical chord and provide me with True Surround
Should I purchase an altogether system or a separate receiver and piece together separate parts?
It doesn't have to be Onkyo, I just saw it mentioned in here and figured I'd ask

which equipment do you have already? just the ps3, or do you need speakers and an avr on a $500 budget. Also it's impossible to get thrue hd sound via optical. You need hdmi.

Originally Posted by livewyre

which equipment do you have already? just the ps3, or do you need speakers and an avr on a $500 budget. Also it's impossible to get thrue hd sound via optical. You need hdmi.
Just the PS right now
I have 2 hdmi chords
Problem is the PS hooks up to my TV via HDMI 

My plan is to have the optical go through the system and have the TV just handle the video

I just can't go higher than that
Onkyo does have systems that are way less than that and based off of what ppl seem to think about that brand in particular; I think for just a dorm room, I can't go wrong with them
When I'm out of school then I can work toward upgrading

Can't believe I never noticed this thread before, consider my self a home theater pro so ill answer some questions. 
RFX45 wrote:
I am looking to get a new LCD in the range of 42"-46", is LED LCD worth it or am I better off with a regular LCD? 
I'm also considering 120Hz refresh rate, is 240Hz worth the extra $$$ though?

You can't tell the difference between 120hz and 240hz, but DO your research the difference between to models of a tv is rarely just the refresh rate usually higher end are ussually 240hz and may give better picture quality regardless simply becuase it's a higher quality tv.
But the the Refresh rate buy itself is will make no difference in picture quuality. 

YDBoUnCe wrote:

Onkyo is an excellent brand, if you looking for surround sound system the new onkyo HT-S5300
Amazon product ASIN B003BEDQRG
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQRG7.1 system, 10 inch sub woofer, Ipod dock, Adio and video processing through hdmi, value is off the charts. if it's too much for your room size the 5.1 version is like 350 and is nice as well. 

I noticed you guys seem to adamant about creating your own system using parts from seperate companies as opposed to HTIB setups
Is there a reason for this?
And Mondaynight would that be a better setup than any of the Surround Sound HTIB from Onkyo?

Originally Posted by IMPORTKING

posted in the bluray thread,

im in the market for a blu ray player to ease the load on the ps3.

im in search of a player with built in wifi of the sort , where i can watch netflix films online, BD live etc

anyone have something of the sort ? recommendations ? im reading online on a few but id take my fellow nt'ers word for it.

thanks
glasses.gif
Samsung c-6500 netflix, blockbuster, vudu streaming support, samsung apps, with youtube and twitter apps, discrete 7.1 outs, wifi. ect ect all for around 210. plus it looks cool, or the LG BD570.

I noticed you guys seem to adamant about creating your own system using parts from seperate companies as opposed to HTIB setups
Is there a reason for this?
And Mondaynight would that be a better setup than any of the Surround Sound HTIB from Onkyo?
Because the quality of the HTIB setups are lower but also a lot cheaper, lower power, only about 65 wats per channel on the onlyo and cheaper speaker construction, the onkyo are made of plastic as opposed to wood or higher quality materials. But hey the ONkyo systems are a good half way point between the htib's and component systems. The onkyo has a real receiver and a powered subwoofer so if you do decide to upgrade you won't necessarily have to throw out the whole thing. 
If you have 600 bucks to spend, it's your best bet. 

There are some htib sets that are nice, but most offer poor sound quality.

There's a reason they're so inexpensive..materials are cheap, they're constructed poorly, and you can't upgrade anything in that set once u buy it..want a better sub? or better speakers? won't happen..

Onkyo offers the best htib solutions but i'd still piece one together...

if i were you, i would get the 607 + the polks then down the line get some better fronts and move the polks to rear duty.

I'm not necessarily an audiophile but when I get into something I tend to get immersed in whatever it is
You'll have to forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between the two receivers you guys just recommended for me besides the fact that one is being sold as a stand alone and the other is a HTIB ?

Seems like you just need it for gaming? If so cop those bookshelfs and the receiver. You don't need a sub for gaming so save your $.

Now if you want a decent home theater system then it will run you between $1000-1500.

what are your guys opion on arcam? planing on upgrading my reciever to an arcam avr600 soon.
BALLIN!

Not familiar with Arcam but googeling your model I found that it has been having issues. Check AVS Forums.

Originally Posted by livewyre

Just the PS right now
I have 2 hdmi chords
Problem is the PS hooks up to my TV via HDMI 

My plan is to have the optical go through the system and have the TV just handle the video
I currently have this avr.harmonkardon254. Its refurbed but still pretty good imo.

as for speakers you can get 2 of these polk monitor 50s

and for a sub I would use this sony sub.
that will run you about 600+ taxes and shipping.
you should focus on a good 2.1 setup then add a center speaker followed by surrounds as your budget allows.

as far as needing an optical cable for sound, all you have to do is run an hdmi cable from the ps3 > the avr, then one from the avr to your tv. set the avr to only output video, then your avr will decode the audio and still send your tv the video signal.

Back
Top Bottom