Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yeah, your approach makes total “common sense” because you can’t be asymptotic and spread it...
That applies for a good majority of infectious diseases.

So what's your solution? Self-quarantine?

How many of you guys actually work in health/medicine?

Very smart assumption.

If I'm feeling sick, I stay away from people and ask them to stay away from me. I had the flu last month and left work as soon as started feeling ill, wore a mask to the doctor, stayed out of work, and kept away from people until I started feeling better. It's common ****ing sense.

One is asymptomatic for up to 2 weeks with COVID-19 and the most contagious.
Once one feels sick...is why the R-0 is so high.

This is the absolute MAIN reason why I don't want to contract the virus. Not because I think I'll die, but I don't want to be responsible for putting my parents in the icu, or killing them.

Exactly. I'm not afraid for myself, but my dad has lung cancer. It's under control at the moment, but a few years ago he got sick while traveling in SE Asia. Whatever he got caused his medicine to stop working, and his lungs flooded with fluid again. He had to get another medicine, and there's not many of these types of meds left.

If a minor virus can do that, imagine what this coronavirus can do? That's why I'm just SMH at these reckless dudes talking about "who cares, it's fake/overhyped" I agree being hysterical isn't the way to go, but to completely downplay it because it doesn't affect you personally is pretty selfish

I'm doing what I can to prevent the spread of disease the same way I always have. I'm just not putting a stop on my everyday life because of this.

This is how I feel. I feel like people who are panicking assume anyone who isn't panicking is out here licking subway steps and rubbing their eyes after they shook 100 hands. You can be cautious while not freaking out.

I don't think going nuts about the virus is a preventative measure so you refreshing Twitter every 15 min to see how many people have corona now isn't gonna protect you from it. Be careful, wash your hands often, don't touch your face, etc.

Yeah, your approach makes total “common sense” because you can’t be asymptotic and spread it...
This is where I'm confused about.

I've been keeping up with the coronavirus.

I can't keep track of who is saying what but I read that the coronavirus can't spread when you're asymptomatic, but I also read that coronavirus can.

I read coronavirus is droplet precaution only, but I also read that it's airborne.

I read coronavirus can only stay on surface 3 days, but I've also read 6 days.

Too many conflicting reports.

Man, hearing Gov. Cuomo talk about this feels like a joke, and he peddling NY hand sanitizer :lol:. Trump is a bigger joke.

That applies for a good majority of infectious diseases.

So what's your solution? Self-quarantine?

How many of you guys actually work in health/medicine?
Don’t deflect, you’re the one in here minimizing the disease.
I respect the service you’re providing on the daily basis and respect the fact that you have a different opinion than me, but just as there is no reason to let fear paralyze is us a society, there is no reason to pretend we should all just go about our lives like it’s no big deal. My solution is to practice social distancing (work-home-only going to the store for necessities) and having the best personal hygiene I possibly can in order to lessen the risk of potentially catching and passing the disease.

This is where I'm confused about.

I've been keeping up with the coronavirus.

I can't keep track of who is saying what but I read that the coronavirus can't spread when you're asymptomatic, but I also read that coronavirus can.

I read coronavirus is droplet precaution only, but I also read that it's airborne.

Too many conflicting reports.

From CIDRAP (CENTER FOR INFECTIOUS DISEASE RESEARCH AND POLICY)

COVID-19 can be spread before it causes symptoms, when it produces symptoms like those of the common cold, and as many as 12 days after recovery, according to a virologic analysis of nine infected patients published today on the preprint server medRxiv.

Also, in a study published in today's Annals of Internal Medicine, researchers at Johns Hopkins found a median incubation period for COVID-19 of 5.1 days—similar to that of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

Virus concentrates quickly, sheds efficiently
Led by researchers in Germany, the virologic study, which has not yet been peer-reviewed, found that the novel coronavirus quickly begins producing high viral loads, sheds efficiently, and grows well in the upper respiratory tract (nose, mouth, nasal cavity, and throat).

"Shedding of viral RNA from sputum outlasted the end of symptoms," the authors wrote. "These findings suggest adjustments of current case definitions and re-evaluation of the prospects of outbreak containment."

The nine patients, who were admitted to the same Munich hospital, were studied because they had had close contact with an index case. Cell cultures and real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) were done on throat swabs and samples of sputum, stool, blood, and urine. Throat swabs showed very high viral shedding during the first week of symptoms.

The findings contrasted starkly with those from the 2003 outbreak of SARS in terms of viral load. "In SARS, it took 7 to 10 days after onset until peak RNA concentrations (of up to 5x105 copies per swab) were reached," the researchers wrote. "In the present study, peak concentrations were reached before day 5, and were more than 1,000 times higher."

Throat swabs were much more sensitive with COVID-19 than with the SARS virus, and the virus was easier to isolate. Seven of the nine patients had upper respiratory infection.

Social distancing to prevent infection
Michael Osterholm, PhD, MPH, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, which publishes CIDRAP News, said that the results challenge the World Health Organization's assertion that COVID-19 can be contained.

The findings confirm that COVID-19 is spread simply through breathing, even without coughing, he said. They also challenge the idea that contact with contaminated surfaces is a primary means of spread, Osterholm said.

"Don't forget about hand washing, but at the same time we've got to get people to understand that if you don't want to get infected, you can't be in crowds," he said. "Social distancing is the most effective tool we have right now."

Data generally back 2-week quarantine
The Johns Hopkins study used news reports and press releases to analyze the demographics and dates and times of possible exposure, emergence of symptoms, fever onset, and hospitalization of 181 patients with confirmed COVID-19 infection outside Hubei province, China, from Jan 4 to Feb 24.

The researchers estimated the median incubation period at 5.1 days (95% confidence interval [CI], 4.5 to 5.8 days). They found that 97.5% of patients who have symptoms do so within 11.5 days of infection (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days).

After the recommended 14-day quarantine or active monitoring period, "it is highly unlikely that further symptomatic infections would be undetected among high-risk persons," the authors wrote. "However, substantial uncertainty remains in the classification of persons as being at 'high,' 'medium,' or 'low' risk for being symptomatic, and this method does not consider the role of asymptomatic infection."

Understanding how long active monitoring is needed to limit the risk of missing COVID-19 infections is important for health departments faced with limited resources. The results support current proposals for length of quarantine or active monitoring of people who may have been exposed to [COVID-19], "although longer monitoring periods might be justified in extreme cases," they wrote.

In a Johns Hopkins news release today, senior author Justin Lessler, PhD, an associate professor in the Bloomberg School's Department of Epidemiology, said, "The current recommendation of 14 days for active monitoring or quarantine is reasonable, although with that period some cases would be missed over the long-term."

Of the 181 patients, 69 (38%) were female, 108 were male (60%), and 4 (2%) were of unknown sex. Median age was 44.5 years. Cases were collected from 24 countries and areas outside mainland China (108 cases) and 25 provinces in mainland China (73 cases).

The researchers noted that publicly reported cases may overrepresent severe cases, which may have a different incubation period than that of mild cases.

This is how I feel. I feel like people who are panicking assume anyone who isn't panicking is out here licking subway steps and rubbing their eyes after they shook 100 hands. You can be cautious while not freaking out.

I don't think going nuts about the virus is a preventative measure so you refreshing Twitter every 15 min to see how many people have corona now isn't gonna protect you from it. Be careful, wash your hands often, don't touch your face, etc.
There's definitely a desensitization element with me/other direct care providers as opposed to the general population though.

The other day one of the computers in a patient's room **** the bed, so IT needed to go in and fix it. The patient was on contact isolation precautions (usually reserved for MRSA, ESBL, E. coli, etc.), and these IT dudes were ****ting bricks asking "AM I GONNA GET IT IF I GO IN THE ROOM?!". All of the nurses just laughed at these dudes because of how OD they were. They had to go in the room ONCE and only had to touch the computer, yet they were about ready to refuse, even though we're in and out of the rooms multiple times throughout the day.

There's definitely a desensitization element with me/other direct care providers as opposed to the general population though.

The other day one of the computers in a patient's room **** the bed, so IT needed to go in and fix it. The patient was on contact isolation precautions (usually reserved for MRSA, ESBL, E. coli, etc.), and these IT dudes were ****ting bricks asking "AM I GONNA GET IT IF I GO IN THE ROOM?!". All of the nurses just laughed at these dudes because of how OD they were. They had to go in the room ONCE and only had to touch the computer, yet they were about ready to refuse, even though we're in and out of the rooms multiple times throughout the day.
I dont blame the guy. Completely understand his thinking. Us non-medical civilians are ignorant to what we can catch. And to be honest, I prefer to be ignorant and take precautions, even if its unnecessary. Makes me get through the day.

God bless everyone in the medical field. I couldn't do it. My germaphobe tendencies make it difficult to go to hospitals and the doctors office.

I dont blame the guy. Completely understand his thinking. Us non-medical civilians are ignorant to what we can catch. And to be honest, I prefer to be ignorant and take precautions, even if its unnecessary. Makes me get through the day.

God bless everyone in the medical field. I couldn't do it. My germaphobe tendencies make it difficult to go to hospitals and the doctors office.
That's fine, and I understand the perspective. Just don't come in here and act like I'm "completely downplaying" this when I'm on the front lines of this. I understand the virulence and the impact from an epidemiological standpoint. I'm just trying to keep a level-head and not get pulled into the hysterics from the media and a half-educated, well-intentioned mob.

Half my friends are nurses, and literally none of them are batting an eye about this. Now that doesnt mean they arent being cautious, using sanitizer, etc etc, but panicked or worried isnt exactly how id describe them.

One of the perks of being a nurse is traveling often as you can combine off days and whatnot, a lot of them are traveling or have traveled recently. Couple friends in the Philippines, one just came back from Hawaii, one is in Mexico City, another friend I believe is in London.

I woudnt travel right now, but hey they are and they are in the field. They dont seem much worried at all.

That's fine, and I understand the perspective. Just don't come in here and act like I'm "completely downplaying" this when I'm on the front lines of this. I understand the virulence and the impact from an epidemiological standpoint. I'm just trying to keep a level-head and not get pulled into the hysterics from the media and a half-educated, well-intentioned mob.
I'm not saying you are downplaying anything.

I take both sides opinion and use my best judgement to determine mine. I'm a half glass empty guy, so I tend to think the worst case scenario for everything. DOesnt help my anxiety but it is what it is!

I'm not saying you are downplaying anything.

I take both sides opinion and use my best judgement to determine mine. I'm a half glass empty guy, so I tend to think the worst case scenario for everything. DOesnt help my anxiety but it is what it is!
Should've made the distinction that I wasn't addressing you directly when I said that, moreso the others. My bad.

Yes, and there's no legitimate evidence that mega-dosing on vitamins helps prevent the spread of infectious diseases.
yep, was more concerned about taking too much and causing some type of health issue because of it. I take a supplement that has a bunch of stuff in it but the Vitamin C and Vitamin D Amount per servings was much less than what others seem to be taking.

yep, was more concerned about taking too much and causing some type of health issue because of it. I take a supplement that has a bunch of stuff in it but the Vitamin C and Vitamin D Amount per servings was much less than what others seem to be taking.

Been using Optimum Nutrition Multi’s and its 3 pills/serving for 333mg which is 333% of the daily dose, though I normally take 1 or 2 pills a day. May up it to 2 just cause.

Half my friends are nurses, and literally none of them are batting an eye about this. Now that doesnt mean they arent being cautious, using sanitizer, etc etc, but panicked or worried isnt exactly how id describe them.

One of the perks of being a nurse is traveling often as you can combine off days and whatnot, a lot of them are traveling or have traveled recently. Couple friends in the Philippines, one just came back from Hawaii, one is in Mexico City, another friend I believe is in London.

I woudnt travel right now, but hey they are and they are in the field. They dont seem much worried at all.
the thing is no one knows anything about this. i work in health care and everyone here is just as clueless as everyone else
none of your nurse friends have any experience with this virus. nor do any of the doctors
none of us can do much but take precautions and go to work as usual
what else are we supposed to do?

people traveling at their own risk...obviously that doesn't mean they will catch the virus but just because a medical professional with ZERO experience with this virus goes on vacation doesn't mean its necessarily safe to do
cause lets be honest your friends have put themselves at greater risk no matter how you look at it.

Gnarly snowball effect - I think is the best way to describe what I’m watching here.

A lot of people are easily influenced. Yes I do believe the virus is real and may be a threat -and is real. And, yes precautions should be taken.

I just don’t understand the hysteria. It been written and shown to us time and time again that coming future will be something along this vein.

Even though “they” want you to hyper focus on this one thing. While some of us are dwelling in fear, doubt, and panic all have ginormous side effects on Us mentally and physical, we should all know, this all will work out.
I'm waiting to dumb 50k in the market, just dont know on what and precisely when, but potentially game changer.

the thing is no one knows anything about this. i work in health care and everyone here is just as clueless as everyone else
none of your nurse friends have any experience with this virus. nor do any of the doctors
none of us can do much but take precautions and go to work as usual
what else are we supposed to do?

people traveling at their own risk...obviously that doesn't mean they will catch the virus but just because a medical professional with ZERO experience with this virus goes on vacation doesn't mean its necessarily safe to do

cause lets be honest your friends have put themselves at greater risk no matter how you look at it.

Theres info out there.

Take it for what it is, theres always gonna be two sides.

he New Jersey health care worker who was the Garden State’s first coronavirus case says he’s unable to talk because his body is still too exhausted from battling the dangerous bug.

“My lung is still too weak. One talk could take me days to recover,” James Cai, 32, told The Post on Tuesday in a text message.

With spring break is coming up, im sure these college idiot would ignore the warning, still travel, and come back with who knows what.

Back
Top Bottom