Hide Ya Wives, Hide Ya Kids: Worldwide Coronavirus Pandemic!

Are You Getting The Covid Vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Only if mandatory

• Not if mandatory

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m always looking to learn about new businesses and industries, partly because I’m intellectually curious and partly because I feel I can learn insights I can apply to my job. What am I looking at in this image from a business perspective. So you’re gonna get paid $10K in revenue to drive 42K lbs from IN to TX (1K miles). I get the cheap fuel but in comparison, during non-pandemic periods what would this same route pay? Also, what is the profit for a ride like this? What are the expenses other than fuel?

I’ve seen you, mplsdunk mplsdunk and a few other talk about this in the thread and this picture piqued my interest. I’ve only really dabbled in financial instruments for investments but after seeing how much I’ve lost in a mere three weeks has me thinking I wouldn’t be opposed to taking out some older positions that I’ve made money or broken even on and putting them into other avenues so I’m curious how this works lol

This original load (trip) would’ve paid between 1600-2300 before the 3/10/2020. Fuel would’ve been about 500 and driver pay between 400-600 if your paying out on miles or percentage of the load . Everything after is profit but if you have a dispatcher you have to pay them since they find the work and talk to customer and driver . So for me my split goes like this
30% driver
15% operations (dispatcher) - it’s low but she manages 4 trucks for me so she gets that on each truck .
30% owner
25% maintenance / tolls / emergency fund .

it’s tough out the gate since I did everything from the ground up and it’s been plenty of weeks where I haven’t made any money , but once you get some dedicated lanes and manage your drivers right there shouldn’t be any issues with a truck grossing 5-7k a week .

new baby boom......got feeling 2021 gonna be record year for births.......2018 was A record low........

This original load (trip) would’ve paid between 1600-2300 before the 3/10/2020. Fuel would’ve been about 500 and driver pay between 400-600 if your paying out on miles or percentage of the load . Everything after is profit but if you have a dispatcher you have to pay them since they find the work and talk to customer and driver . So for me my split goes like this
30% driver
15% operations (dispatcher) - it’s low but she manages 4 trucks for me so she gets that on each truck .
30% owner
25% maintenance / tolls / emergency fund .

it’s tough out the gate since I did everything from the ground up and it’s been plenty of weeks where I haven’t made any money , but once you get some dedicated lanes and manage your drivers right there shouldn’t be any issues with a truck grossing 5-7k a week .

So wait that load went up $7700 - $8400 due to Corona :wow: :pimp: What I’m not sure about is, wouldn’t the fuel, driver and dispatch costs remain the same for the baseline price vs the “surge” price ie you get much more profit? Or do generally you keep that same split for all rides? If I’m understanding it correctly, it appears that you end up with about 30% at the end of the day?

currently at a birthday party. it’s not packed but it’s not empty. nobody shaking hands.
4A72357A-472A-4CBF-8A38-EC39E0022B9C.jpeg

1584224670192.gif

Now's the time when ppl could really use that Peloton bike lol.

Funny you say that. My wife bought one last August. Already past 1,500+ miles and nearing her 200th ride. She loves it! Never have to go anywhere for a class. Do it at home anytime. Despite what people think of them, they really are a wonderful product. Worth it if you like Spin class and actually cheaper in the long run.

So wait that load went up $7700 - $8400 due to Corona :wow: :pimp: What I’m not sure about is, wouldn’t the fuel, driver and dispatch costs remain the same for the baseline price vs the “surge” price ie you get much more profit? Or do generally you keep that same split for all rides? If I’m understanding it correctly, it appears that you end up with about 30% at the end of the day?

yes the pandemic jumped the rate that high . But I pay my guys on a percentage so it’s fair for everybody . So when rates are low they know when rates arehigh they know , I like to keep as much transparency as possible with my guys, drivers can make or break you in this industry . If you were paying the driver by the mile and your dispatch a flat rate you would make hella bank with this load but at “regular” rates you would profit with what is left after paying , driver , fuel and operations . So it’s different ways to run it but when you got people working for you the better your transparency you have with them the better the productivity .

yes the pandemic jumped the rate that high . But I pay my guys on a percentage so it’s fair for everybody . So when rates are low they know when rates arehigh they know , I like to keep as much transparency as possible with my guys, drivers can make or break you in this industry . If you were paying the driver by the mile and your dispatch a flat rate you would make hella bank with this load but at “regular” rates you would profit with what is left after paying , driver , fuel and operations . So it’s different ways to run it but when you got people working for you the better your transparency you have with them the better the productivity .

You’re a smart businessman and a good leader. Thanks for breaking that down for me bruh!

1584225523605.gif

I didn’t even know you drove man. :lol: or used to. Yeah I’ll never give up my Cdl. rrlegend rrlegend

I used to be a cook, owned a food truck and just got burnt out.

Yeah since getting my cdl and a little experience I make 70k over the summer and got winter off to hustle for cash. Could make more but I love my job and work for a family friend.

I’ve worked for my fair share of scumbags before I found my way, good bosses are always appreciated. Respect to not screwing your drivers. :pimp:

any particular brand or place to get it?
im clueless to these things
I just go to the dispensary. I dunno how it is for you guys down in TX. Maybe try googling whats offered? My guess is youd probably have to order from WA or CA or something

20200314_185607.jpg

Ive been getting this brand called Cobra. My parents are both pleased with it, they use it a lot. Grabbed some edibles for myself while i was there also :pimp:

I didn’t even know you drove man. :lol: or used to. Yeah I’ll never give up my Cdl. rrlegend rrlegend

I used to be a cook, owned a food truck and just got burnt out.

Yeah since getting my cdl and a little experience I make 70k over the summer and got winter off to hustle for cash. Could make more but I love my job and work for a family friend.

yep did Otr for 8 months wasn’t for me . Then worked at coke and red bull making local deliveries . Got in the oilfield ( offshore in 2012 ) but to get in the oilfield in Texas you need a cdl for 80% of the jobs . The truck thing is something I do on the side , I franchise 2 subways and have a coordinator job at mid size oil company so I have a few different streams of income coming in .

Places are already so much less busy than normal that you gotta be super careless to catch this virus. They said gym is a hot spot for the virus and majority of gyms have like 20% of the activity they normally do. Malls are super light traffic wise. Restaurants are damn near abandoned even by regulars. I know there's exceptions and bars and beaches and whatever still have young people out partying, but the majority of the population I feel is doing their best to contain the spread.

If gov doesn't take some stronger measures, we're probably gonna be looking like Italy in two weeks.
That's already unavoidable. People who will be sick in a week or two are already exposed. We'll have 10k-40k positive cases in 2 weeks in the US.

Intervention will change what we see beyond that. With proper action, we can hold it to a reasonable number beyond late March, so it won't go much past 50k. Without proper action, we're probably looking at 100k sick by mid-April.

These are of course ballpark figures but it's the best guess as to where we're headed.

In the Bay Area schools are closing, people are being told to work from home if they can, and they are banning large gatherings.

Cases in like every state at this point. Gotta be more than local. Need national mandates to control it before we have to go full shutdown like Italy.

Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 7.15.21 PM.png

Peloton the truth?

Definitely! My wife bought her bike back in August of last year. She isn't athletic at all. But she wants to still build muscle strength (she's 6' and very slender) and she had ridden well over 1,500 miles since mid August closing in on her 200th ride. She absolutely loves it! The best thing, is the classes are from 5 minutes to 60. Ride when you have time. And if you don't want to do a class, you can just ride along the ocean in California. Or in a park in Colorado. Anywhere. This thing is awesome!!! If you have a Peloton showroom In a mall near you, when all this stuff finally calms down, go check one out.

Back
Top Bottom