HINDU NTers: Can You Explain This Pic For Me? Warning: Graphic but Very Interesting

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Originally Posted by DunkNForce

skipping over the trolling...

I got into researching about a lot of different religions in HS and Hinduism really stuck with me. I am not gonna say I am a Hindu, but I've read plenty of books and love what this religion has to give. I took many of their philosophies and teachings and applied it to my own life. Hinduism is thee oldest religion on earth, refereed to as the eternal religion. This makes me want to pick up the books again and enlighten my SELF some more.

One of if not the most treasured book of Hinduism, the Bhagavad Gita. If you want some enlightening reading, please look into this book:

The Essence of the Bhagavad Gita: Explained by Paramhansa Yogananda, As Remembered by His Disciple, Swami Kriyananda

Here's a link to it on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Ess...Remembered/dp/1565892194 and you can get it for as low as $1.93 !

I was born and raised christian, but I will pick up this book before i pick up the bible, no lie.

yea if you do pick up the gita or ramayan or rig veda or whatever other hindu texts you decide to read I would def go with some sort of translated version that isn't word for word translation but a synopsis as well.  The gita for example is unreadable to me in its original form translated word for word...and i'm hindu.
Excuse my ignorance, I have to admit I don't know much about Hinduism so I have a question if you don't mind me asking.

I'm familiar with other Indian religions (I studied Buddhism in depth as well as Sikhism and Jainism) but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Hinduism. At my university, every freshman had to take this intro to world religions class (great move by the university btw) and when the prof was talking about Hinduism he mentioned a few times that there is no "defined"set of beliefs that make up the religion called "Hinduism" like there's sets of beliefs for Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc but rather the term is just used to describe the collective religions practiced in India. If I recall correctly, the prof mentioned that when the Arab Muslims came to the sub-continent, they identified and labeled Buddhists and Zoroastrians according their religious groups and they grouped all other local religions under the umbrella of "Hinduism" which was later carried on by the British. He mentioned that practice varies dramatically from village to village and that in some Hindu practices you find monotheism and in others you will find only a handful of gods and goddesses while in others you will find thousands of gods/goddesses. After you mentioned Hindu religious texts (which I didn't think existed based off the profs description of the religion) I looked them up on Wiki and now I'm starting to doubt that prof's definition of Hinduism as there does seem to be some sort of common beliefs shared across the religion through the use of the Hindu texts. Was his definition completely wrong?

Once again, sorry for my ignorance
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

sorry but hindus/middle easterns/ muslims/etc. scare the crap out of me
not scare but....kinda disgust me for some reason
1. race
2. given the ignorance of his comment, you don't think he's referring to those "brown" people?

we all know the code words and what is really meant by them.
from what he has said, it seems like he is ignorant of other religions.  he grouped hindus with muslims and and the middle east.  he is referring to those brown people, but not out of racism.

Originally Posted by King of Chicago

I don't understand how some individuals can disrespect others beliefs. I was raised in a strict Catholic family but was always told to respect other peoples beliefs and religions. Just because they believe in something that is unfamiliar to you, it does not make it wrong or "evil."
I don't see why we have to respect someone's beliefs when their beliefs are wrong.  By respecting them, you're just reinforcing their views when they're wrong and detrimental to society.  If you say I have to respect your beliefs, then I'd say you have to respect Osama Bin Laden's beliefs.

Wow. You live in America, genius. Respecting other beliefs and cultures is an essential aspect of this country's code.

1. race
2. given the ignorance of his comment, you don't think he's referring to those "brown" people?

from what he has said, it seems like he is ignorant of other religions.  he grouped hindus with muslims and and the middle east.  he is referring to those brown people, but not out of racism.

I don't understand how some individuals can disrespect others beliefs. I was raised in a strict Catholic family but was always told to respect other peoples beliefs and religions. Just because they believe in something that is unfamiliar to you, it does not make it wrong or "evil."
I don't see why we have to respect someone's beliefs when their beliefs are wrong.  By respecting them, you're just reinforcing their views when they're wrong and detrimental to society.  If you say I have to respect your beliefs, then I'd say you have to respect Osama Bin Laden's beliefs.

Wow. You live in America, genius. Respecting other beliefs and cultures is an essential aspect of this country's code.

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

laugh.gif
& who are you to judge if someone's beliefs are wrong or not?
laugh.gif
@ this whole thread
exactly. 

Hindu =/= muslim
30t6p3b.gif

I'm not a Hindu or a Muslim.  I was brought up in a Catholic family...but I was never thought that any other religion is wrong. 

Originally Posted by whyhellothere

laugh.gif
& who are you to judge if someone's beliefs are wrong or not?
laugh.gif
@ this whole thread
exactly. 

Hindu =/= muslim
30t6p3b.gif

I'm not a Hindu or a Muslim.  I was brought up in a Catholic family...but I was never thought that any other religion is wrong. 

1. race

2e21clk.gif

1. race

2e21clk.gif

Correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure the people with their head cut off in the pic are Muslims?

Correct me if im wrong, but im pretty sure the people with their head cut off in the pic are Muslims?

Originally Posted by James Earl Zones

1. race

2e21clk.gif

Can anyone argue why I'm wrong?

I'm gonna assume all of you respect Bin Laden's beliefs then right?

Originally Posted by James Earl Zones

1. race

2e21clk.gif

Can anyone argue why I'm wrong?

I'm gonna assume all of you respect Bin Laden's beliefs then right?

Originally Posted by Kurt Like A Bawwsss

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

Originally Posted by PolarBear LaFlare

i was brought up in a very religious catholic family, so i was always taught that those religions were always "bad" and their gods were false, sorry.

roll.gif
@ the irony.

The real irony is that god doesn't exist and that religion is trash.

Just like your opinion...How's that for irony?

Originally Posted by Kurt Like A Bawwsss

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

i was brought up in a very religious catholic family, so i was always taught that those religions were always "bad" and their gods were false, sorry.

roll.gif
@ the irony.

The real irony is that god doesn't exist and that religion is trash.

Just like your opinion...How's that for irony?

Originally Posted by Wooly Willy

I got into researching about a lot of different religions in HS and Hinduism really stuck with me. I am not gonna say I am a Hindu, but I've read plenty of books and love what this religion has to give. I took many of their philosophies and teachings and applied it to my own life. Hinduism is thee oldest religion on earth, refereed to as the eternal religion. This makes me want to pick up the books again and enlighten my SELF some more.

One of if not the most treasured book of Hinduism, the Bhagavad Gita. If you want some enlightening reading, please look into this book:

The Essence of the Bhagavad Gita: Explained by Paramhansa Yogananda, As Remembered by His Disciple, Swami Kriyananda

http://www.amazon.com/Ess...Remembered/dp/1565892194 and you can get it for as low as $1.93 !

I was born and raised christian, but I will pick up this book before i pick up the bible, no lie.

yea if you do pick up the gita or ramayan or rig veda or whatever other hindu texts you decide to read I would def go with some sort of translated version that isn't word for word translation but a synopsis as well.  The gita for example is unreadable to me in its original form translated word for word...and i'm hindu.
Excuse my ignorance, I have to admit I don't know much about Hinduism so I have a question if you don't mind me asking.

I'm familiar with other Indian religions (I studied Buddhism in depth as well as Sikhism and Jainism) but I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Hinduism. At my university, every freshman had to take this intro to world religions class (great move by the university btw) and when the prof was talking about Hinduism he mentioned a few times that there is no "defined"set of beliefs that make up the religion called "Hinduism" like there's sets of beliefs for Muslims, Christians, Jews, etc but rather the term is just used to describe the collective religions practiced in India. If I recall correctly, the prof mentioned that when the Arab Muslims came to the sub-continent, they identified and labeled Buddhists and Zoroastrians according their religious groups and they grouped all other local religions under the umbrella of "Hinduism" which was later carried on by the British. He mentioned that practice varies dramatically from village to village and that in some Hindu practices you find monotheism and in others you will find only a handful of gods and goddesses while in others you will find thousands of gods/goddesses. After you mentioned Hindu religious texts (which I didn't think existed based off the profs description of the religion) I looked them up on Wiki and now I'm starting to doubt that prof's definition of Hinduism as there does seem to be some sort of common beliefs shared across the religion through the use of the Hindu texts. Was his definition completely wrong?

ohwell.gif
I'll try and give you the best answer I can but even my understanding of hinduism IN India is very clouded due to the fact that i'm a west-indian hindu being that my family is from Guyana, South America.  your probably wondering why there would be hindu's in south america but it's the same reason why there are african americans...the british wanted to expand their empire to south america along with the Caribbean like they did with america but they decided to take both africans along with indians to be slaves.  I'm not 100% sure of this but I would guess that thats why they call it the West Indies.  Like Guyana the same things can be said for Trinidad as well as Jamaica.
Matter of fact, it's believed that when the british brough indians to jamaica for labor...they were the ones that introduced "ganja" to the africans there...the reason I believe this is because cannabis was a major crop in India hundreds of years ago and is still used there today.  In hindu religious texts it says that a cannabis like herb was favored by the god Shiva and that he used it in heaven and he was the one who brought it down to earth.  Just a lil fyi 
laugh.gif

Your understanding that different groups in India practice Hinduism in different ways is correct.  India has many many subgroups that while they are grouped under the umbrella of "Hinduism" each has there different practices, ceremonies and what not.  Some may favor worshipping Krishna, others Shiva and what not.  What you have to remember is that in Hinduism each god had certain reincarnations after they "died".  So while it's a new body, it's the same soul.  There are many names for one god that was reincarnated into different corporeal bodies.  Like you said each of these separate sects vary on which god they want to worship more than another, but they all believe in "Hindu" gods.  I don't think they refute that the other pantheon of gods exist but they probably think they play a more minor role.  

Once again don't quote me 100% on this because myself along with my family aren't from India, but atleast as far as I can tell for myself is that we pray to each god.  There is a hierarchy to it with Shiva, Krishna, Kali, Hanuman, Ganesh, Durga,  among others at the top.

Originally Posted by Wooly Willy

ohwell.gif
I'll try and give you the best answer I can but even my understanding of hinduism IN India is very clouded due to the fact that i'm a west-indian hindu being that my family is from Guyana, South America.  your probably wondering why there would be hindu's in south america but it's the same reason why there are african americans...the british wanted to expand their empire to south america along with the Caribbean like they did with america but they decided to take both africans along with indians to be slaves.  I'm not 100% sure of this but I would guess that thats why they call it the West Indies.  Like Guyana the same things can be said for Trinidad as well as Jamaica.
Matter of fact, it's believed that when the british brough indians to jamaica for labor...they were the ones that introduced "ganja" to the africans there...the reason I believe this is because cannabis was a major crop in India hundreds of years ago and is still used there today.  In hindu religious texts it says that a cannabis like herb was favored by the god Shiva and that he used it in heaven and he was the one who brought it down to earth.  Just a lil fyi 
laugh.gif

Your understanding that different groups in India practice Hinduism in different ways is correct.  India has many many subgroups that while they are grouped under the umbrella of "Hinduism" each has there different practices, ceremonies and what not.  Some may favor worshipping Krishna, others Shiva and what not.  What you have to remember is that in Hinduism each god had certain reincarnations after they "died".  So while it's a new body, it's the same soul.  There are many names for one god that was reincarnated into different corporeal bodies.  Like you said each of these separate sects vary on which god they want to worship more than another, but they all believe in "Hindu" gods.  I don't think they refute that the other pantheon of gods exist but they probably think they play a more minor role.  

Once again don't quote me 100% on this because myself along with my family aren't from India, but atleast as far as I can tell for myself is that we pray to each god.  There is a hierarchy to it with Shiva, Krishna, Kali, Hanuman, Ganesh, Durga,  among others at the top.

Its that Dude

laugh.gif
...all these 'terrorists' are the product of the world we live in. The product of the terrorists before themselves...evil doesn't come out of nowhere...evil creates more evil so blame all the imperialists and slave owners who established the United States and the rest of the modern world on the backs of their fellow man.

Its that Dude

laugh.gif
...all these 'terrorists' are the product of the world we live in. The product of the terrorists before themselves...evil doesn't come out of nowhere...evil creates more evil so blame all the imperialists and slave owners who established the United States and the rest of the modern world on the backs of their fellow man.

well i dont like the whole saving sex till after marriage crap, sorry it is just bleh....

well i dont like the whole saving sex till after marriage crap, sorry it is just bleh....

Back
Top Bottom