How do the following salaries stack up in your area?

Minneapolis

40k broke
50k a little better
60k can buy a cheap house
70k+ you’re good.

It’s hare to say. Housing prices vary wildly here but I based it off living in Minneapolis in a decent area with a car and no student debt.

$40K- living aight, definitely making apartment money, possibly decent used car

$50K- can purchase a home, same used car in the city

$60K- comfortably buying a home, possibly lower end used luxury whip.

$80K- comfortable as hell

Living in Milwaukee. Our housing market is cheap as hell. $125K bought my my first crib in the burbs. Mortgage was like 1K a month.

A lot of people live inland towards the Valley (Sacramento, etc) and make the commute into SF daily.
It ain’t that bad if you opt for 2nd or 3rd shift. Easy hour drive to the east bay. Or, stay at families/friends house. If you originally from the bay, you should have friends and family that’ll help out but you gotta break bread of course.

I think anywhere in the SF Bay Area, the cost of living is definitely more expensive.

Silicon Valley is just as bad too.

A lot of people live inland towards the Valley (Sacramento, etc) and make the commute into SF daily. :sick:

I know if I make it back to to the Bay Area, my commute will be long (will take the ferry). I will not ruin my quality of life by sitting in a car for 6 hrs a day everyday.

my wife was communing from elk grove to Fairfield and it was a terrible commute. don't even want to think about going further than Vallejo. we ended up moving to Vacaville to be closer. I changed offices to Suisun city so life is better. for some reason the feds think that is the bay area so I got a nice locality pay bump just to be closer to home lol I have considered working in Richmond and commuting from Vacaville. the more I think about it the less I want to do it even though there are more opportunities out that way. don't want to take the train, really. not worth my time away from home imho

40K - Own Apartment, no car/cash car
50K - Own Apartment, decent lease
65K - Small House, good car
80K- Nice House, very nice car
100K- Very Nice House and Very Nice car

Fort Worth, TX
For a single person

For a family like mine (5 people) I'd view the salaries as double to consider the 2 person income but effect of the salary is less because of the additional child expenses.

The question is there a lot of jobs or opportunity to earn the $100K salary to live like a god in ATL?

Last time I checked it's hard AF to get one of them higher payin' jobs out in Atl but that was years ago

Anybody from Austin, Tx? I read that they’re the next booming city...like how Atlanta was back in 1998.

Atlanta is not cheap. Knock downs in O4W/Inman Park/Cabbagetown can run ~$500k. You aren’t finding a crib in Buckhead for under $600k.

We had to move to the burbs to find something decent and affordable.

Anybody from Austin, Tx? I read that they’re the next booming city...like how Atlanta was back in 1998.

My cousin just moved from LA (Brentwood) to Austin. Sold his condo and made around $750K and built a house in Austin with his chick.

They love it. He said the neighbors are OD friendly. Neighborhood kids just stroll into his crib and what not :lol:

Atlanta is not cheap. Knock downs in O4W/Inman Park/Cabbagetown can run ~$500k. You aren’t finding a crib in Buckhead for under $600k.

We had to move to the burbs to find something decent and affordable.

You might (BIG MIGHT) find something decent in Summerville, Mechanicville, Pittsburgh, Adair Park, etc. But it’s slowly revamping with the gentrification.

I think prices are going to drop within the next 5-7 years...they’re ridiculously high.

Kirkwood was a whole hood, now houses are in the 600K :lol:

i'm in charlotte nc...if you want to live comfortably IMO you need 65k+.
I know 45345 ppl are going to come and say they live off of 40 cents, 2 bags of chips and a water tho.

clt is boring to me though and full of low-barely mid wage positions and i'd rather go home to ny or move to atl or something. a lot of hiring for decent jobs here feels like its based on race and the planets aligning tbh.

It ain’t that bad if you opt for 2nd or 3rd shift. Easy hour drive to the east bay. Or, stay at families/friends house. If you originally from the bay, you should have friends and family that’ll help out but you gotta break bread of course.
Sure, having that type of shift helps.
my wife was communing from elk grove to Fairfield and it was a terrible commute. don't even want to think about going further than Vallejo. we ended up moving to Vacaville to be closer. I changed offices to Suisun city so life is better. for some reason the feds think that is the bay area so I got a nice locality pay bump just to be closer to home lol I have considered working in Richmond and commuting from Vacaville. the more I think about it the less I want to do it even though there are more opportunities out that way. don't want to take the train, really. not worth my time away from home imho
Vacaville is a little more 'doable' when commuting into the Bay Area. I always viewed Vacaville as the last city I'd consider if I had to commute. Grew up in Fairfield, so the drive into SF was never an issue for me. But too bad the cost of living in Fairfield/Vacaville is pricey. And the areas that would be considered 'reasonable' are all sketch lol

I know if we head back to the Bay Area (hoping soon) we'd end up temporarily in Vallejo (wife's hometown :sick:) Commute for me would be about an hour by ferry.

40k - apartment with a roommate and car
50k - comfortable apartment car and no roommates
60k - you can start looking at cribs

socal outside of LA

Last edited:
40k - apartment with a roommate and car in cali
You can make it out here with that. Just gotta budget right, hustle hard and stay close knit with friends and fam.
If I don’t feel like driving back to sac than I’ll holla at the fam in the O and grab dinner for staying there.

$40k is only doable out here if you are single, add a wife/kids and you will be in trouble. Forget trying to save any significant money either.

$65k and you’ll live much more comfortably. Can even buy a house on that salary

Wow 125 for a house???
Dog that’s awesome.

How many rooms?

Sorry so late my first crib was a duplex. 2 bd room lower, 1 bd room upper so 3 I guess.

I still own it actually and use it as an investment property. I copped back in 2015. Cost of living is pretty cheap here so I bought a place a year every year since then. That actually wasn’t even my biggest steal.

About 2 years back I bought a 4 unit apartment building for 75K. It’s not in the best area but 1 tenant damn near pays the whole mortgage. I’m rehabbing it in a couple of weeks so I should really starting eating crazy off of it soon.

Last edited:
Assuming 10-60K in loans.

40k - no car or at home complaining about the poverty, school loans, budgeting liquor and weed expenses. Condoms are a financial investment and may consider the free clinic. Borrows someone else's car for errands. Roommate fodder.

50k - some Independence but still complaining. may have a decent car or apartment but not both in decent condition. But your an adult now. Still needs to budget everything.

60k - stable and date(able). Scrub life is over. Overall a better quality of life. Can buy bottled water instead of tap at home. Can start saving money.

80k - Can afford a decent car and apartment. Can afford a baby momma and still enjoy the luxuries of life.

100k - You can start looking down on the hood. Need to get new friends and controlling the energy around you. You can start telling your friends living in poverty to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Can afford 2 baby mommas and still enjoy the luxuries of life. Uber eats 5-10 times a week. 300$ a week at whole foods. 200$ at target. Do what you want.

Philly

Last edited:
For some context:

Starting a new job soon that pays >60k. It's at least an hour commute now so I'm trying to move to where I can walk to work to save on car-related expenses. If I got a roommate I could probably get something really dope but I'm trying to have my own space.

I'm seeing a diverse array of spots and the area isn't really the cheapest, although it is very nice.

I could probably get a studio for 1100 but some of the nicer 1 bedrooms with cool amenities are going for 1300-1350.

So I'm just trying to get a feel for how the rest of the country is looking in terms of cost of living. I have student debt too but it's manageable.

Lots of Cali transplants there, Crazy traffic. Cheap for now but more than other cities in the south.

You might (BIG MIGHT) find something decent in Summerville, Mechanicville, Pittsburgh, Adair Park, etc. But it’s slowly revamping with the gentrification.

I think prices are going to drop within the next 5-7 years...they’re ridiculously high.

Kirkwood was a whole hood, now houses are in the 600K :lol:

I was super confused when I saw this video. This looks like a nice neighborhood lol

For some context:

Starting a new job soon that pays >60k. It's at least an hour commute now so I'm trying to move to where I can walk to work to save on car-related expenses. If I got a roommate I could probably get something really dope but I'm trying to have my own space.

I'm seeing a diverse array of spots and the area isn't really the cheapest, although it is very nice.

I could probably get a studio for 1100 but some of the nicer 1 bedrooms with cool amenities are going for 1300-1350.

So I'm just trying to get a feel for how the rest of the country is looking in terms of cost of living. I have student debt too but it's manageable.
I'd say go for the studio. Allocate/save the rest of your income elsewhere. But if you're getting more amenities with 1BR and the cost of rent and location benefits you, do that.

Definitely don’t go house poor homie. I’ve seen too many people make that mistake early on in their career and it can be a dagger. Stack a small much as you can while you are young and don’t need the space.

Once you get a girl (if that’s your thing) and kid. It gets harder and harder to save or live minimalistic. Stacking in those earlier days really does help later on.

My BM lil sis is super early in her adult life and shes car poor right now cause her people let her cop a whip right after high school and she 100% can’t afford it. Now she’s paying damn near 1/3 of her monthly income on a whip that’s worth less than 3K (and she don’t got insurance).

I know we live and learn but I’ve seen so many people make similar mistakes with housing man. Stack a bit and make some investments in yourself, you have more than enough time to ball later.

Back
Top Bottom