How do the following salaries stack up in your area?

@riverdale road how much is that house worth today? Curious to know if its worth investing in the real estate down there.
If you trying invest in ATL real estate, look at the west side...Gentrification ain’t done over there yet, still alotta hoods with vacant or dirt cheap houses to build up/ hold on to

This my house in Henry County. Brought it for 203k 6 years ago, (5 bdrms, 3 full baths) now got about 50k in equity. About 20 mins from downtown Atl. Like someone said suburbs in Atl alot different than most places. Closer to the city is now alot more expensive with the gentrification. And the women here top notch.
20140724_135735.jpg

This house in Boston is $1M minimum.

Cheapest house in NYC would be some attached house in the worst hood in the Bronx for maybe 350k.

I'm not feeling that 100k come up in 16 years.

My 2 bedroom apartment was worth 90k 16 years ago. Its close to 600k now.

****in co-op too. NYC is insane.

Exactly, if I made what I made here in New Orleans guess who’s moving to New Orleans...?

But it doesn’t work like that.

All this talk of ATL real estate got me curious, so i decided to check out inventory on Realtor.

This one property caught my eye:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatea..._GA_30310_M69295-55425?ex=GA2361507262#photo1

But yoooooo...the property tax:

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.37.36 PM.png

Is this really life?

Why is the prop tax so low? Property taxes in my neck of the woods (New England) easily range between 6 - 10k...:smh::smh:

Republican/Southern states generally have lower taxes overall but the trade off is the lack of social services, amenities and worse infrastructure

That crib u looked at is in a hood that’s gentrfying, still sketchy but on the come up ...nothing really around there tho, u gon be driving everywhere...don’t come to ATL from up north if you not a car person or thinking you escaping traffic :lol:...minimum 30 drive every time u get in the whip no matter what day or time it is :smh:

$40k per year

$50k per year

$65k per year

$80k per year

This includes relevant costs such as rent, utilities, transportation, food, some debt, and social life. After taxes of course. Whether you're single or have children should factor into it as well.

Was reading a post on Reddit and it's crazy seeing how the same salary can lead to wildly different lifestyles depending on where you're at.

SF / Bay Area. Those don’t stack up. You are basically living on the streets with those salaries. I make 115 and the only way I can live here is to share a 2 bedroom apartment with someone else. I don’t live extravagantly at all; my biggest expenses are insane rent, student loan, car loan, car insurance, gas, and meals.

I don’t want to misrepresent - I’m happy with life and where I’ve gotten to. But even now I’m barely able to start doing more than just living month to month. Holding off on having a wedding + will take at least a decade to save up for a house down payment. This is the first year I’ve paid off credit card debt etc and am putting away money in a 401k + saving monthly out of the paycheck towards investments. Another 5-10 years of this and I’ll feel like...you know lower middle class.

This my house in Henry County. Brought it for 203k 6 years ago, (5 bdrms, 3 full baths) now got about 50k in equity. About 20 mins from downtown Atl. Like someone said suburbs in Atl alot different than most places. Closer to the city is now alot more expensive with the gentrification. And the women here top notch.
20140724_135735.jpg
Question for you. Do you seriously need all that house? Idk the size of your fam, but I just had another one and we have outgrown this 3 bd 3 bath townhouse. I’m not about that detached house living, i ain’t down with the maintenance. But I’ve been considering it lately.

SF / Bay Area. Those don’t stack up. You are basically living on the streets with those salaries. I make 115 and the only way I can live here is to share a 2 bedroom apartment with someone else. I don’t live extravagantly at all; my biggest expenses are insane rent, student loan, car loan, car insurance, gas, and meals.

I don’t want to misrepresent - I’m happy with life and where I’ve gotten to. But even now I’m barely able to start doing more than just living month to month. Holding off on having a wedding + will take at least a decade to save up for a house down payment. This is the first year I’ve paid off credit card debt etc and am putting away money in a 401k + saving monthly out of the paycheck towards investments. Another 5-10 years of this and I’ll feel like...you know lower middle class.
Dog is it really worth it to live like that there? Why not move to Houston and make 90 and live like a king?

Dog is it really worth it to live like that there? Why not move to Houston and make 90 and live like a king?

Most of my SF friends total household income is 300k+ and they have some concerns - like buying sooner than later in a good school district or sending to private in SF is another 30k a year. They also have debt from B school/ Law/ Undergrad.

They are completely comfortable but still have worries.

Last edited:
Los Angeles, CA

Just on my personal experiences. Single, no kids.
We talking gross pay or net.? ( I make a little over 60k gross which nets around 46k)
Own(no roommates) 1br apartment. $1900
Basic car payment/lease. Sub $600 including insurance .
Utilities (gas,cell,internet,lights,water etc.) $600
Food ( I don't cook) $600

Do the math, this leaves me with very little to play with. I usually save a couple hundred a month so I basically live paycheck to paycheck on these expenses.

Don't get me wrong, I would def consider this a "comfortable" living, as for most people I know, they're either still living at home or with roommates.
Nothing like living on your own. But to the other posters who have mentioned buying/owning a home on this salary in SoCal.? WTF.?! How.????

Sure I can cut cost. Buy a beater whip and not have a car payment. Cut down significantly on food cost by not eating out all day. Get a studio apartment instead of 1bed. ****, but even then, no way in hell you affording a mortgage payment out here when even the fixer uppers are demanding 1/2 million.

It is worth it. People come to the Bay Area to make sacrifices and to have opportunities that they can’t easily have elsewhere. I don’t think I could make 90 in Houston doing what I currently do. I’m content to live frugally while increasing my salary + wife’s salary over the next 5 to 10 years. I’m confident that at some point we’ll be making 200-300k combined and spending less than 100k. If we can have a 5 year run of saving 100k that’s a life changer. We both will happily move to another city / state / country at that point. I lived an extremely fun and fulfilled life and am happy to sacrifice a few years of “discomfort” now for many years of stability and choices later.

That said life here is pretty awesome. Only thing lacking for us is a realistic path toward buying a house / raising a family. Neither one of which is sometin either of us want for the next 3 years. When that pendulum swings we’ll get out. Until then, will keep living within our means and saving as much as we can now to give us the freedom of choices later.

Back
Top Bottom