How do the following salaries stack up in your area?

Atlanta is not cheap. Knock downs in O4W/Inman Park/Cabbagetown can run ~$500k. You aren’t finding a crib in Buckhead for under $600k.

We had to move to the burbs to find something decent and affordable.
Yea the whole ATL metro used to be a steal compared to other places...but now you gotta live outside the city to get that cost of living benefit...Its different down here tho cuz the area was really built on suburbs and highways so living in the burbs aint as bad as most places, ppl just now moving back into the city 4real and like @marmourjr said they taxing in those parts now

You can live great off 60k 15 mins outside the city limits in any direction, but the traffic u gon be hittin all the time tho :lol: :sick:

Definitely don’t go house poor homie. I’ve seen too many people make that mistake early on in their career and it can be a dagger. Stack a small much as you can while you are young and don’t need the space.

Once you get a girl (if that’s your thing) and kid. It gets harder and harder to save or live minimalistic. Stacking in those earlier days really does help later on.

My BM lil sis is super early in her adult life and shes car poor right now cause her people let her cop a whip right after high school and she 100% can’t afford it. Now she’s paying damn near 1/3 of her monthly income on a whip that’s worth less than 3K (and she don’t got insurance).

I know we live and learn but I’ve seen so many people make similar mistakes with housing man. Stack a bit and make some investments in yourself, you have more than enough time to ball later.

I went house poor in 2016 and now I got 100k equity that would payoff everything including student loans and car and would give me a clean slate... So it depends what your market looks like. Fine out where things are just jumping off and wait for developers to come in

I definitely feel you but for most people starting out house poor ain’t the wave at all.

Equity is also dependent on the market (granted you could refi now, but I’m not sure what your financial situation looks like, nor your long term goal when it comes to investing)

Props on the come up though. My rental aren’t in areas where I’ve seen crazy growth like that (although my initial house purchase appreciated like 40K in 4 years) but I’m also playing the long game and I have tenants that pay my mortgages so it’s no biggie.

House poor (especially when renting) is a dumb move.

$40k per year - live at home.
$50k per year - share apartment.
$65k per year - rent your own apartment and use your bus pass.
$80k per year - rent your own apartment and drive a car.

honolulu.

Damn.

How much you have to make to own a home?
a decent two bedroom house? and cars? you probably would need a household income of over 150k to scrape by. probably more.

link
2018 Cost of Living score: 1 out of 50 points (Top States Grade: F)
Most expensive area: Honolulu
Average home price: $1,044,462
Monthly energy bill: $432.62

Last edited:
Y’all numbers are crazy :lol:

“Poor”, “have to do”... :lol: y’all ain’t living in the real world or have horrible money management

Y’all numbers are crazy :lol:

“Poor”, “have to do”... :lol: y’all ain’t living in the real world or have horrible money management

That’s why I tried to use people I know instead of myself.

I blow tons of money on Mexican food and random crap. My taco bill is a car payment. :lol:

That’s why I tried to use people I know instead of myself.

I blow tons of money on Mexican food and random crap. My taco bill is a car payment. :lol:
Bro real talk the food bill is do or die for most people. I see you in the gym thread. People talking about eating healthy is MORE expensive and I laugh. You know how it is. People thinking they’re saving on the dollar menu don’t get it

For me, $40k would be cool.

1497067886385.png

40K - Moving back to the south
50K - Living month to month but still going out
65K - 1 bedroom apartment and or a 2 bedroom with a roommate
80K- Nice apartment or purchase a home in SE DC
100K- purchase a home in DC closer to the river but not making enough to own across the river

Washington, DC

40K - Living in a 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate
50K - Living in a 2 decent bedroom apartment on my own
65K - Move into a home
80K- A nice apartment downtown or close to campus
100k - A home and traveling weekly during the offseason of football

Baton Rouge, LA

This my house in Henry County. Brought it for 203k 6 years ago, (5 bdrms, 3 full baths) now got about 50k in equity. About 20 mins from downtown Atl. Like someone said suburbs in Atl alot different than most places. Closer to the city is now alot more expensive with the gentrification. And the women here top notch.
20140724_135735.jpg

Bro real talk the food bill is do or die for most people. I see you in the gym thread. People talking about eating healthy is MORE expensive and I laugh. You know how it is. People thinking they’re saving on the dollar menu don’t get it

All the savings go out when window when your heart kicks the bucket on your dollar menu lifestyle.

Do those big houses in Atlanta ever increase in value?
The ones in the burb stay consistent with prices cuz they built so many houses when the area was coming up n it’s hella land available ...if you bought a house in the city a decade or 2 ago u probly got it for the low and those prices went up something crazy

Back
Top Bottom