How is Cam'ron not considered a Hip Hop Legend?

Originally Posted by Master Zik

This thread is actually worse than the Fat Joe got street cred/is he a legend thread just cuz it got so off course with other dudes. According to a lot of you foolish dudes Ny done produced near a 100 legendary Mcs
laugh.gif
I called it back on page 2, %@%!%% gonna bastardize the meaning of the term legend.

I FOLLOWED CAM HIS WHOLE CAREER.. SEEN HIS STYLE SWITCH UP GET NICER GET LAZY THEN PERFECT THAT FLOW HE BEEN HOLDING DOWN HARLEM THE WHOLE TIME... DUDE IS ARAPPERS RAPPER.... NEVER HAD CREDENTIAL PROBLEMS.... ALL HIS ALBUMS GOT HOT SONGS.... 2 CLASSICS 3 INCLUDING DIPLOMATS VOL 1..... HOW COULD I FORGET MYFAVORITE MOVIE OFF ALL TIME.PAID IN FULL... seen it like 150 times...

well this has turned into quite the show as usual, just another day in the music forum... I agree with op though cam's a legend technically... but idon't rock with him to much

Originally Posted by Ikaman

Cam is definitely a legend... all the careers he helped launch, all the trends hes started, not to mention his street cred... pretty hard to dispute. unless of course your a hater.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

We truly are in the LAST DAYS of the music forum. Just to bring everyone up to speed here, we went from Fat Joe being a legend to now Cam'ron being a legend, piss poor. Folks are providing ridiculous comments on why they feel Cam'ron is a legend. He's the first rapper to introduce that shade of pink into the rap game, he's the first rapper from Harlem with tattoos on his hands, or look how fast he ran out of Rucker Park on that Youtube clip. One asinine comment followed by another as far as I'm concerned. People around here get the term veteran and legend for some reason, they need to educate themselves on the definition of the two. In short, Cam'ron is NO legend, never has been, never will be.
I didn't have to read anything past this post cause this is the truth.

laugh.gif
at people arguing that their favorite rappers are legends just becausethat person is their favorite "artist." I mean, this is just getting ridiculous... we understand you like the guy but none of the reasons postedmake Cam anything close to being a legend.

Originally Posted by devildog1776

I FOLLOWED CAM HIS WHOLE CAREER.. SEEN HIS STYLE SWITCH UP GET NICER GET LAZY THEN PERFECT THAT FLOW HE BEEN HOLDING DOWN HARLEM THE WHOLE TIME... DUDE IS A RAPPERS RAPPER.... NEVER HAD CREDENTIAL PROBLEMS.... ALL HIS ALBUMS GOT HOT SONGS.... 2 CLASSICS 3 INCLUDING DIPLOMATS VOL 1..... HOW COULD I FORGET MY FAVORITE MOVIE OFF ALL TIME.PAID IN FULL... seen it like 150 times...

OK

The "Legend" word has been bastardized just like the word "Classic." Drop a decent album during a period where 80% of rappers are garbageand its considered a classic. Artists and groups like ATCQ, Wu, Outkast, Nas, Biggie, Pac and etc were dropping classics when hip-hop was in one of its goldenera.. that legitimizes their accreditation as being classic even more. Now with that same line of thought just because your a good rapper during a period whereyour compeition is 50 Cent, T.I., Young Jeezy [not taking away from them but their not Nas, Jay, Andre3000 and etc you] doesn't necessarily make you alegend.

When I think of hip-hop legends I think of iconic figures like, Public Enemy that help to change the tone in hip-hop to a more conscious one, De La Soul thatbrought their own originality to the game, NWA that lead to the hardcore street hip-hop, Bid Daddy Kane, Nas and etc. Cam'ron is only iconic in terms ofwhat he brought to hip-hop fashion wise not necessarily for his music, sure he brought Dipset into the game and they had an impact but as a solo artist idon't even think he's on the level of a DMX. Kanye is iconic in terms of hip-hop fashion aswell and also dropped great albums does that make him alegend aswell. People use the word "legend" when they really should be using the word "veteran" its like saying Derrick Fisher is a Legendhe's more of a Respected Veteran. Cam's a respected Veteran.

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

The "Legend" word has been bastardized just like the word "Classic." Drop a decent album during a period where 80% of rappers are garbage and its considered a classic. Artists and groups like ATCQ, Wu, Outkast, Nas, Biggie, Pac and etc were dropping classics when hip-hop was in one of its golden era.. that legitimizes their accreditation as being classic even more. Now with that same line of thought just because your a good rapper during a period where your compeition is 50 Cent, T.I., Young Jeezy [not taking away from them but their not Nas, Jay, Andre3000 and etc you] doesn't necessarily make you a legend.

When I think of hip-hop legends I think of iconic figures like, Public Enemy that help to change the tone in hip-hop to a more conscious one, De La Soul that brought their own originality to the game, NWA that lead to the hardcore street hip-hop, Bid Daddy Kane, Nas and etc. Cam'ron is only iconic in terms of what he brought to hip-hop fashion wise not necessarily for his music, sure he brought Dipset into the game and they had an impact but as a solo artist i don't even think he's on the level of a DMX. Kanye is iconic in terms of hip-hop fashion aswell and also dropped great albums does that make him a legend aswell. People use the word "legend" when they really should be using the word "veteran" its like saying Derrick Fisher is a Legend he's more of a Respected Veteran. Cam's a respected Veteran.

not better than dmx?! come on dude... dmx was not talented...
eyes.gif

DMX's first album is better then all of cam'ron's albums...and i love camron

Originally Posted by mossman75

Originally Posted by Lbruce89

where's cam ranked all-time?
nerd.gif

top 30? top 20? higher?

Cam aint even top 50
He's not "Top" anything. Dudes need to understand the difference between their favoriterappers and MCs who are widely considered great.... because Cam certainly doesn't fall into the latter category
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by iHust1e

roll.gif
anDown Goes Frasier wrote:

Originally Posted by mossman75

Originally Posted by Lbruce89

where's cam ranked all-time?
nerd.gif

top 30? top 20? higher?

Cam aint even top 50

27f2574e4666138dffe757d812d038168a40003.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ok y'all laughing and posting lame photos but to think he's top 50 y'all must have starting listening to hip hop in 1998. Believe it or not thereare 50 better rappers in the history of the rap game period.

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

The "Legend" word has been bastardized just like the word "Classic." Drop a decent album during a period where 80% of rappers are garbage and its considered a classic. Artists and groups like ATCQ, Wu, Outkast, Nas, Biggie, Pac and etc were dropping classics when hip-hop was in one of its golden era.. that legitimizes their accreditation as being classic even more. Now with that same line of thought just because your a good rapper during a period where your compeition is 50 Cent, T.I., Young Jeezy [not taking away from them but their not Nas, Jay, Andre3000 and etc you] doesn't necessarily make you a legend.

When I think of hip-hop legends I think of iconic figures like, Public Enemy that help to change the tone in hip-hop to a more conscious one, De La Soul that brought their own originality to the game, NWA that lead to the hardcore street hip-hop, Bid Daddy Kane, Nas and etc. Cam'ron is only iconic in terms of what he brought to hip-hop fashion wise not necessarily for his music, sure he brought Dipset into the game and they had an impact but as a solo artist i don't even think he's on the level of a DMX. Kanye is iconic in terms of hip-hop fashion aswell and also dropped great albums does that make him a legend aswell. People use the word "legend" when they really should be using the word "veteran" its like saying Derrick Fisher is a Legend he's more of a Respected Veteran. Cam's a respected Veteran.

not better than dmx?! come on dude... dmx was not talented...

Dmx had a classic...and two damn good albums...

laugh.gif
... I was gonna come in here and say "No" but I wanted to see how this question could generate 8 pages of convo...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But come on... Cam's debut dropped in 98... How many other artists that debut that summer are relevant now?? He has gold and Platinum albums, BillboardHits, an 11+ year career... in HIP HOP... Unlike legends of the late 80s and early/mid 90s Cam has been able to adjust to the landscape of hip hop, and to anextent play a role in changing it... Heatmakers + Diplomat soul samples... I mean their sound was deffinetly influential on other artists... How many legendshave had a ligitimate career in hip hop for over 10 years of staying somewhat relevant?? There's really not that many...
Then there's another side of me that says, in order to be a LEGEND to have to take the game to the NEXT level...I don't know if I can really say Camdid that...

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

laugh.gif
... I was gonna come in here and say "No" but I wanted to see how this question could generate 8 pages of convo...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But come on... Cam's debut dropped in 98... How many other artists that debut that summer are relevant now?? He has gold and Platinum albums, Billboard Hits, an 11+ year career... in HIP HOP... Unlike legends of the late 80s and early/mid 90s Cam has been able to adjust to the landscape of hip hop, and to an extent play a role in changing it... Heatmakers + Diplomat soul samples... I mean their sound was deffinetly influential on other artists... How many legends have had a ligitimate career in hip hop for over 10 years of staying somewhat relevant?? There's really not that many...
Then there's another side of me that says, in order to be a LEGEND to have to take the game to the NEXT level...I don't know if I can really say Cam did that...
Legit reply....
but what do you mean when you say take the game to the next level?
Around the time the towers fell Rap changed a lot. Cam'ron was at his peak (of Fame) and he was a key player in making Roc-a-fella a Legendary Team
The whole Flashy hustler Rap was taken to another level and was being felt across the states.
How is that + all the other things said not enough?

Originally Posted by NoSlickRemarks

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But come on... Cam's debut dropped in 98... How many other artists that debut that summer are relevant now?? He has gold and Platinum albums, Billboard Hits, an 11+ year career... in HIP HOP... Unlike legends of the late 80s and early/mid 90s Cam has been able to adjust to the landscape of hip hop, and to an extent play a role in changing it... Heatmakers + Diplomat soul samples... I mean their sound was deffinetly influential on other artists... How many legends have had a ligitimate career in hip hop for over 10 years of staying somewhat relevant?? There's really not that many...
Then there's another side of me that says, in order to be a LEGEND to have to take the game to the NEXT level...I don't know if I can really say Cam did that...
Legit reply....
but what do you mean when you say take the game to the next level?
Around the time the towers fell Rap changed a lot. Cam'ron was at his peak (of Fame) and he was a key player in making Roc-a-fella a Legendary Team
The whole Flashy hustler Rap was taken to another level and was being felt across the states.
How is that + all the other things said not enough?

When an artist reaches a point where its not only fans paying close attention to you, but its also other (good) artists, What Rakim, Kane, Slick Rick, KRSOne were to late 80s hip hop... What Cube, Dre, Ice T were to the west coast in the late 80s/early 90s... These are cats that shaped the game... They set thepace and other cats jumped on, and made great music in the process... I can't really co-sign Cam making AMAZING music, But his catalog is better than...say Slick Rick... & He's deffinetly a legend... And he stayed musically relevant for about twice and long...

I would feel comfortable saying he is a Post BIG/Pac era Hip Hop Legend... Not sure if he is in the grand scheme of things... But @ the same time he'sdeffinetly one of the 50 Greatest IMO... So how can he not be a legend??...

This is tough... We'll prolly have to wait a few more years until we can have consensus conclusion...

Back
Top Bottom