Hurricane harvey....texas nters stay safe

You are missing the point a little.

Not missing it at all. Unless you're telling everybody to evacuate 3 weeks prior or something (which is highly unrealistic to predict anyway), there's not really another way to prepare. You can't prepare for a historical event. Had Turner set a mandatory evacuation at the time people are now retroactively doing it, instead of a handful of scattered, empty stalled out cars, you'd have thousands of cars stalled out with dead bodies inside.

You are missing the point a little.

I think you are missing the point a little. This was a historic flood, this type of flood is guaranteed to happen ever 500 years (source) but has happen it's 3rd time in three years. Harvey flood was classified as high as even a 1 in 1000 year flood, a probability of .1 percent it happening within a given yar . The drainage, the levees, the dams, the reservoirs in the city are designed by engineers to withstand 1 in 100 years type of storms. You drop 15-17 Trillion gallons on any city in the world and you will have the same effects, if not worst.

How could you design this to be better? Deeper Bayous? Higher freeways? Update drainage? The whole city has been in construction as far as I can remember since Ike, since Katrina, Rita, Tax Day flooding last year.

If a 11.0 earthquake hit San Francisco right now, would you blame on not preparing their city since 1906?

What's with the flack on Lakewood Church, they've always opened their doors to the city, going back the Tropical Storm Allison. and this was at their building before they moved to the old Compaq Center. During Ike, my family went there every day to get water and ice. Even if the church was accessible they would still have to get staff from their homes to the building to receive people, this is not any old church it's a basketball arena, it's not as easy as just opening the doors

That Michael Blackson vid has me dying. :rofl:

The random figures he gives out to people.

"You love & hip hop *****es...no disrespect....I have no respect for you....$16

On the real though, Joel probably remembers the chaos in the superdome (rapes, assaults, fights) and wants no parts of that activity. There would have to be lots of security there at all times and that would cost.

Harvey makin its way through lousiana slowly but surely gon rain all the way all the way past labor day

As said before nature will always win. No matter how good the engineers are, scientist, architects or whoever they can't estimate 100% on what may or may not happen. Let alone build it in time.

That flooding is going to be a constant problem in Houston forever. Just gotta be safe out there.

I have never been that traumatized by water ever before in my life. Friends losing cars, losing homes, losing coworkers...being stuck in a home with water surrounding and rising and not being able to help anyone...having to be rescued by a boat after realizing that even though you arent in a flood prone area, the fact that they are releasing water north of you will cause the water in your local river to flood you out.. just stressful and draining....im glad the htown folks in here are safe...

Not missing it at all. Unless you're telling everybody to evacuate 3 weeks prior or something (which is highly unrealistic to predict anyway), there's not really another way to prepare. You can't prepare for a historical event. Had Turner set a mandatory evacuation at the time people are now retroactively doing it, instead of a handful of scattered, empty stalled out cars, you'd have thousands of cars stalled out with dead bodies inside.

I think you are missing the point a little. This was a historic flood, this type of flood is guaranteed to happen ever 500 years (source) but has happen it's 3rd time in three years. Harvey flood was classified as high as even a 1 in 1000 year flood, a probability of .1 percent it happening within a given yar . The drainage, the levees, the dams, the reservoirs in the city are designed by engineers to withstand 1 in 100 years type of storms. You drop 15-17 Trillion gallons on any city in the world and you will have the same effects, if not worst.

How could you design this to be better? Deeper Bayous? Higher freeways? Update drainage? The whole city has been in construction as far as I can remember since Ike, since Katrina, Rita, Tax Day flooding last year.

If a 11.0 earthquake hit San Francisco right now, would you blame on not preparing their city since 1906?
I believe I do get from years of living in Louisiana but since it's happening now a lot more can be said of the horrible lost for the Houston.

Turner is has been doing a good job so far with the events leading up to the storm to now.

Many blessing to everyone in Houston

Woke up to what looks like clear skies on my end, haven't seen the sun since Thursday morning.

Port Arthur under water
IMG_20170830_071314.jpg

are we done with the rain? its beautiful out right now....and it's oddly quiet.
no sirens and the birds haven't came back yet.

im enjoying a cup of coffee and finally some damn sunshine :smokin

Back
Top Bottom