************Hurricane Sandy Thread************ vol. BE SAFE!!!

Disgusting. That's when the storm began picking up again. They were clearly looking for trouble. This is exactly why there's friction in Crown Heights.
Its easy to tell people to keep their head up, but in looking at some of these pictures I really wouldn't know how to do it if I were them. To see that everything you have and worked hard for literally washed away. I wouldn't be able to go on.
That friction goes back a looooonnnggg way, much further back than even the Crown Heights riots, back to when the Hasid community had curfews placed on the Labor Day Parade.

Back in the eighties, that parade would go on till three and four in the morning, with DJ's on every block competing against one another after the parades.

Last edited:
Disgusting. That's when the storm began picking up again. They were clearly looking for trouble. This is exactly why there's friction in Crown Heights.

Its easy to tell people to keep their head up, but in looking at some of these pictures I really wouldn't know how to do it if I were them. To see that everything you have and worked hard for literally washed away. I wouldn't be able to go on.
That friction goes back a looooonnnggg way, much further back than even the Crown Heights riots, back to when the Hasid community had curfews placed on the Labor Day Parade.

Back in the eighties, that parade would go on till three and four in the morning, with DJ's on every block competing against one another after the parades.

I know this. I live here. I was just saying that stuff like this doesn't help the situation. They already profile us and an incident like that is going to give them more reason to. Can't even cross Eastern Parkway without getting stares like I don't belong over there :smh:

Looters ‘swipe’ up the mess in chaos zones

By REBECCA HARSHBARGER, FRANK ROSARIO and JOSH SAUL
Last Updated: 3:46 AM, October 31, 2012
Posted: 12:39 AM, October 31, 2012

James Messerschmidt

View media item 122675
SMASH AND GRAB: A woman appears to be making off with "kicks" at Mello Magic Sneakers on Rockaway Beach Boulevard yesterday.

Hurricane Sandy brought out the worst yesterday in some sleazy New Yorkers, who looted stores and homes across the city.

Some posed as Con Ed workers to dupe their victims.

Police arrested more than a dozen looters in the Rockaways and Coney Island, which had been evacuated, and stood guard outside ravaged stores at the South Street Seaport.

“This morning when they told us the water receded, I walked back to the house to feed [my pets],” said Eric Martine, 33, a cabby who lives in Brooklyn’s Gerritsen Beach. “Guys were looting, pretending they were Con Ed and holding people up. It was sick.”

Residents said police warned them to beware of crooks pretending to be utility workers.

Cops fanned out yesterday to deal with looters around the city.

“We will not tolerate these scumbags looting. We will arrest them on sight,” said a police source.

The storm knocked out the plate-glass windows of several Seaport stores, and piggish punks took full advantage of the unguarded merchandise.

“I saw two people walking by the Ann Taylor store and reach in and take some shirts that were just laying right there by the mannequin,” said one man. “It’s really messed up, man. They’re really taking advantage.”

Looters also grabbed gadgets from a nearby Brookstone before cops arrived to stand guard.

In the Rockaways, lowlifes were sneaking into clothing stores and cleaning out pizzerias.

Two men and a woman were arrested for robbing a BP gas station on Beach Channel Drive, three men and one woman were cuffed for pillaging a Radio Shack on Beach 88th Street, and two people were arrested for raiding a clothing store near Beach 86th Street, cops said.

Stores were emptied along a two-block stretch of Mermaid Avenue in Coney Island. Seven people were busted.

“Almost everything is gone,” said store owner Mirza Baig. “We want to reopen but we don’t know how.”
Crane to hang for weeks

By AMBER SUTHERLAND and BILL SANDERSON
Last Updated: 1:48 AM, October 31, 2012
Posted: 12:11 AM, October 31, 2012

A giant crane knocked over by Hurricane Sandy could dangle 1,000 feet over Midtown for weeks while engineers decide how to bring it down.

Department of Buildings officials and engineers working for the developers of luxury high-rise One57 at 157 West 57th St. yesterday had not yet formulated a plan for bringing it down safely.

They were content to let it hang. “The crane is stable at this time,” said DOB spokesman Tony Sclafani.

Engineers were considering securing the dangling boom to the building’s structure, Sclafani said.

Industry crane consultant Tom Barth said that’s probably a good idea, since it would keep the boom from being blown around by wind.
AFP/Getty Images
TWISTING IN WIND: City officials say it’ll be a while before the crippled crane can be lowered.

The only way to bring it down safely, in Barth’s view, is to erect a new tower crane next to it.

Crews working 24 hours a day could get a new structure up in about three weeks, he said.

Even that timetable would depend on the availability of a new crane, and on the need to pour a new concrete foundation for it.

No one possibly responsible for the accident would talk to The Post yesterday.
Billion$ down drain

By CHUCK BENNETT

Last Updated: 3:46 AM, October 31, 2012

Posted: 12:46 AM, October 31, 2012

Reuters RUINED: Flood wreckage awaits costly repairs in Brooklyn yesterday.

It will take deep pockets to pay off this Sandy-soaked bill.

Economic damage from superstorm Sandy could cost the region a staggering $10 billion to $20 billion, according to initial estimates.

“The storm sort of played out the way we expected it to,” said Bill Keogh, president of EQECAT, a risk-management modeling firm that studies natural disasters for the insurance industry.

“We had the record-setting storm surges and a lot of damage from the storm surges,” he said.

Keogh put the $20 billion estimate on the “high end,” but noted that assessments have barely begun. About $5 billion to $10 billion worth of destruction caused by Sandy is insured, according to EQECAT.

Another forecasting firm, IHS Global Insight, estimated that Sandy will end up causing about $20billion in property damage alone and another $10 billion to $30 billion more in lost business.

That would make the storm one of the costliest US disasters on record.

“The path of destruction she left in her will be felt for some time,” warned Mayor Bloomberg yesterday. “It was a devastating storm, maybe the worst we ever experienced.”

Hurricane Katrina, by contrast, wreaked $45 billion worth of damage and the 9/11 attacks caused $23 billion. Insured losses from Hurricane Irene last year cost about $500 million.

That’s not to downplay the awful toll Sandy took.

On top of any physical damage done to their properties, businesses will also likely file claims worth millions of dollars for business interruptions.

Meanwhile, the MTA, which is largely self-insured, hasn’t even calculated the cost to revive its drowned subway system.

But, like city and state agencies, it can appeal to the Federal Emergency Management Agency for aid. FEMA will also help pay for repairs for roads, bridges, water facilities, public buildings and utilities.

Municipalities like New York also self-insure as well as take out policies with major underwriters for disasters, although officials yesterday said it was too soon to discuss what possible claims they could file.

Severely displaced or affected people may be eligible for $31,000 in personal assistance from FEMA — money that could be used to pay rent as well as repairs.

Although homeowner-insurance policies generally do not cover flood damage, insurers will still be on the hook for billions in other damages.

“We expect the brunt of losses to be borne by primary writers, including State Farm, Allstate, Liberty Mutual Group and Travelers,” said James Auden, an insurance analyst for Fitch Ratings.

He expected a slew of business claims from companies downtown from hotels to firms unable to perform a day’s work when their employees can’t come in and there’s no power in the office.

Still, in the wake of Sandy, many insurance-industry professionals expect a wave of phone calls from homeowners and renters asking about flood insurance.

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/billion_down_drain_RUi1eAceaDwJwXR3MkAyZN#ixzz2AtGfbahw

I know this. I live here. I was just saying that stuff like this doesn't help the situation. They already profile us and an incident like that is going to give them more reason to. Can't even cross Eastern Parkway without getting stares like I don't belong over there
mean.gif
I went to 289, Brower Park. I know the area like the back of my hand. 

well - still without power going on about 36 hrs now, also now I have no hot water.

Last edited:
Never seen NYC so helpless before....
No power at my job, still no trains...

quoted for emphasis

i walked up 1st avenue 6 blocks today to get coffee saw the same exact car where it was stuck in traffic when i came back and first avenue usually is a breeze

Last edited:
The Northeast's infrastructure was NOT ready for this weather, at all.

Thats the wild thing about this. The caribbean and gulf region has had tons of time to prepare for how to handle this stuff. Certain building codes and what not. 

Thats the wild thing about this. The caribbean and gulf region has had tons of time to prepare for how to handle this stuff. Certain building codes and what not. 
what do you chalk this up to, negligence?

We'll see in the coming months.

All i'm saying is that for a coastal city, there is going to be a lot of blame shifted and people will be held accountable for many of the failures that took place. 

Some are going to say that parts of it was largely preventable and you'll start to see some changes in how governments are going to start preparing for these things. 

We'll see in the coming months.

All i'm saying is that for a coastal city, there is going to be a lot of blame shifted and people will be held accountable for many of the failures that took place. 

Some are going to say that parts of it was largely preventable and you'll start to see some changes in how governments are going to start preparing for these things. 

Governor Cuomo said something along the lines that new buildings will have new codes and what not. But it the past when things were being, a hurricane was among the least of their worries....as for precautions that could have been taken over the weekend, that's another story.

:smh: @ the looting and the mugging. I'm glad they at least got the pic of that one lady stealing the shoes. Straight up scum. Got ZERO sympathy for people like this.

:smh: @ the looting and the mugging. I'm glad they at least got the pic of that one lady stealing the shoes. Straight up scum. Got ZERO sympathy for people like this.

For real, that video of the mugging is just downright disgusting.

That's the reason you carry a gun, shoot every single one of them jits. :evil:

I have family in New Jersey and Maryland. I've heard back from a couple of them. I haven't heard back from my Auntie yet 
frown.gif

I don't see how anyone can be negligent in this situation. This is a region that does not get hurricanes like the Gulf Coast and Caribbean. We usually get the tail ends of tropical storms and the hurricanes that we usually get are few and far in between. Everyone knew that this was a region that was susceptible to flooding because of our proximity to the water and knew that this could happen. No one thought it would actually happen and this soon. We will learn from this and apply our findings going forward, but to lay blame is just absurd.

Back
Top Bottom