I don't know much about the Israel/Palestine conflict, but I do know a sonning

Originally Posted by Lex Starks

I agree in the sense that Jewish people need to stop playing the Holocaust card and their usage of crocodile tears to further their agendas as ol girl was trying to do. This is prevalent in the younger communities as they think they have some sort of entitlement because of what their ANCESTORS went through. You don't get to use that as an excuse.

Save the anti-semite comments.

http://www.youtube.com/v/T1NLdRVkJiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&http://www.youtube.com/v/T1NLdRVkJiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&
Waoooooooooooooooooooooh!

If you are black, I trust you never play the slave card and are against affirmative action?

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

i wonder how many people would be crying if israel lost the 6 day war? israel kicks the !@*+ out of everyone, takes land, and then they want to complain. okay. how about the yom kippor war? start a war try to attack israel and get their %@@ kicked and the crying comes again. how many scholars would be screaming for the jews if they lost these wars?

this !@*+ isn't as one sided as most of you people think it is. it's a travesty at this point in time. but alot of you have a warped view of israel and how it was even founded. people thinking if israel didn't exist tomorrow than the whole muslim world will hold hands and everything will be fine. it's complete BS.

I flew over the middle east and saw one green tiny patch. guess which country it was.
I do not care how many wars the Arabs lost, an occupation is an occupation. Who is to take anyone's else's land and dispossess them? Especially at that time when you had the ideologies of human rights and the right to nationhood and sovereignty that were set in stone and on paper. I do not care about other Arabs nations and governments when it comes to this mess because they are also to blame for the plight of the Palestinians, especially when you have traitors and backstabbers like Jordan and Egypt.

A lot of the blame should be put on the colonizers because of the way they partitioned that territory by disregarding the regards of the native Palestinians Arabs and basically gave most of the fertile land to the Jewish minority at that time. What they did completely messed everything up. Maybe the Arabs should have accepted what they got, the @%$% end of the deal, especially since they were so screwed and they did not have the upperhand. But, I guess they thought that resistance was a better strategy and they actually thought they would win the war.
However, the way that Israel was created was by violence, force, terrorism, and the method of ethnic cleansing the Palestinians. Without all of that, the creation of Israel would not have succeeded.

At the end of the day, it is an occupation. The Palestinians are oppressed, Israel is the oppressor, and the Palestinian people deserve their right to return and self-determination. The root of this conflict is the occupation itself.

and what happens when the self determination lads to more rocket attacks? what happens then? i don't care if the rockets only hit 1 person they were intended to kill many. they are learning to hate and kill jews in the schools. that won't change overnight if they get some land back.

you said However, the way that Israel was created was by violence, force,terrorism, and the method of ethnic cleansing the Palestinians. Withoutall of that, the creation of Israel would not have succeeded.

that "half" you are talking about? you talking about what happened after the 6 day way?  Gaza, west bank, east jerusalem and the sinai peninsula? don't station 1000 tanks and 100,000 soldiers on israel's border and complain when you get your **+% beat and land taken. the main problem of all of this is England which you tip toed around. just say their name. they are more to blame then anyone.

the situation is all types of messed up. but to say "you don't care" about the wars the arabs lost. and you "don't care" about the other arab nations when they are a main reason why things are the way they are right now. well is you don't care or find that stuff trivial i don't think you can talk about the whole situation properly.

yo do u guys think the israeli govt/mossad could be responsible for any of the attacks on israel? on itself i mean..... on some 9/11 conspiracy tip...u know to mobilize their people against Palestinians and to get some support from the US. I know that sounds crazy but this is chess, it aint checkers
nerd.gif

^ yes it "could" happen. the british have been accused of similar tactics involving dressing up as muslim terrorists.

but cmon now. the hate isn't fake. the attacks aren't fake. don't go the conspiracy route when there are much more simple answers. the rocket attacks, bus attacks, the killing of the jewish olympic team. %@@* is real. no conspiracy needed.

none of those wars are fake or manipulations. you are going to deep into the rabbit hole

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

I'm presently on my phone so I can't quote, but dude that tried to draw a parallel between slavery and the holocaust--go ahead and slap yourself. You clearly didn't think that one through.

I mean really--what "agenda" do A.A have that would cause them to bring up slavery over and over again. Surely you're not implying that the "agenda" for equality and recognition as a people who contributed so much to the development of this country--blood, sweat, and tears literally included--is tantamount to the "agenda" that an over zealous part of the Jewish diaspora is pushing, right?

Who have A.A waged war against--citing, among many reasons--God's special favor and authority? Whose lands have A.A forcefully annexed, killing and/or driving out the native and local inhabitants?

I could seriously keep going. Like I said, you surely didn't think that initial post all the way through.

Great post.

laugh.gif
at the camera panning to the girl holding her head twice.

and what happens when the self determination lads to more rocket attacks? what happens then? i don't care if the rockets only hit 1 person they were intended to kill many. they are learning to hate and kill jews in the schools. that won't change overnight if they get some land back.

you said However, the way that Israel was created was by violence, force, terrorism, and the method of ethnic cleansing the Palestinians. Without all of that, the creation of Israel would not have succeeded.

force... yeah okay iut was just the jews exerting force. what happened after the 6 day way?  Gaza, west bank, east jerusalem and the sinai peninsula? don't station 1000 tanks and 100,000 soldiers on israel's border and complain when you get your *%** beat and land taken. the main problem of all of this is England which you tip toed around. just say their name. they are more to blame then anyone.

the situation is all types of messed up. but to say "you don't care" about the wars the arabs lost. and you "don't care" about the other arab nations when they are a main reason why things are the way they are right now. well is you don't care or find that stuff trivial i don't think you can talk about the whole situation properly.
Well guess what, if there was no occupation, no killing of Palestinians, no bulldozing their homes, dispossessing them so there can be more Jewish settlements built on THEIR land and which is taken illegally from them, you think there would be rockets or terrorists like Hamas or resistance? Palestinians fight back in mostly peaceful ways with non-violent tactics to only get shut down, this is excluding the minority like violent terrorists groups. Moreover, the destruction and terrorism the Israeli state possesses and uses against the Palestinian people is even more powerful and destructive. 

They are learning to hate Jews in school? You do not think that goes BOTH ways maybe? When it comes to Palestinians, how do you think they would see the Israeli state when they have to live like cattle in refugee camps for generations, see their families killed, their homes uprooted, them being dispossessed, tortured, and then have their basic and fundamental human rights violated? A little angry towards the occupier maybe? Isn't that natural? When it comes to what they experience and live through under the occupation??? What kind of cycle do you think it creates?

There is no argument about who won or lost the wars. But, you take away someone's land, exert force and war, and they will resist and fight back. Ok, Palestinian Arabs lost the wars and did not get their way of keeping all that state and the 1948 borders, but Israel is still illegally occupying the 1967 territories under international law. That is the difference. 

The Palestinian Arabs did not just tip toe around the British. They did uprisings and fought wars against the British when they learned how the British and other colonizers signed off most of the fertile land to the Jewish minority at the time without their participation or regard as well as the Ottomon empire rule before that. 

As a Palestinian, why do I care or have to fight back against stupid Arab rulers? They are scum leaders who use Palestinians as pawns and screwed us over. The ROOT cause is the occupation which is exerted by the Israeli state, and as long as they have the will to fight to get their land back, they will.

Sorry, misread your sentences here.

That is really unlikely to happen. If Palestinians were to get their land back, terrorist groups like Hamas would have to disarm, dismantle or fusion into only strictly becoming a political group and not a terrorist guerilla group at all. If there were others groups formed that would shoot rocket attacks, that would be the responsibility of the Palestinia authority to shut them down ASAP. Guaranteed that they would have Jewish allied security groups to trump them. Think of the IRA/Sinn Fein situation and how when they settled they disarmed in Norther Ireland and even how it happened with the ANC in South Africa.

Hazeleyed Honey wrote:

The Palestinian Arabs did not just tip toe around the British. They did uprisings and fought wars against the British when they learned how the British and other colonizers signed off most of the fertile land to the Jewish minority at the time without their participation or regard as well as the Ottomon empire rule before that. 

As a Palestinian, why do I care or have to fight back against stupid Arab rulers? They are scum leaders who use Palestinians as pawns and screwed us over. The ROOT cause is the occupation which is exerted by the Israeli state, and as long as they have the will to fight to get their land back, they will.
i meant you tip toed around them in the other paragraph not that arabs did.

the ROOT of the cause is that England basically gave 2 distinct set of people land and left them to kill each other for it.

the underlying ROOT of the problem is that the entire world hates jews and doesn't know what to do with them. is it fair to Palestinians? no. but there are a billion muslims out there and only 15 million jews. that's why jews are so gung ho about israel. because we truly feel that if the world can turn on us at any moment. we don't trust the rest of the world for a second. so you wana talk about the will to fight? they will get there land back? good +!$@@$+ luck with that. where is syria, saudi arabia? egypt? where are they to help their bothers and sisters?

i can't wait for a 2 state solution. how long until hammas kills all the members of fatah in the street? how long before the rockets get sent into israel because they want MORE of "their" land huh?

Originally Posted by HOVKid

I agree in the sense that Jewish people need to stop playing the Holocaust card and their usage of crocodile tears to further their agendas as ol girl was trying to do. This is prevalent in the younger communities as they think they have some sort of entitlement because of what their ANCESTORS went through. You don't get to use that as an excuse.

Save the anti-semite comments.

http://www.youtube.com/v/T1NLdRVkJiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&http://www.youtube.com/v/T1NLdRVkJiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&
Waoooooooooooooooooooooh!

If you are black, I trust you never play the slave card and are against affirmative action?

????????? que, being both Jewish and black that statement made me lol

Although admittedly I am not "learned" on this topic it seems may of you know nothing @ all. This conflict exists because America didn't want Jews. Sure we had several Jews come after WWII, but we didn't want all of them, so we said "here have this strip of land, already occupied. We (U.S.) seem to have a history of saying that.

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

Sorry, misread your sentences here.

That is really unlikely to happen. If Palestinians were to get their land back, terrorist groups like Hamas would have to disarm, dismantle or fusion into only strictly becoming a political group and not a terrorist guerilla group at all.

i disagree. once they get some land back they will inevitably want Jerusalem.(which i think should be shared by all 3 religions but won't happen)

they don't want israel to exist. they consider every single piece of land "theirs" not just 1967 borders. and liek i said if they get land back they will still be killing each other. when israel recently had that massive attack (which was an overreaction) hammas members were killing fatah members in the tsreets, i mean the notion that everybody in palestine will become brother and sister and stop the fighting is complete hogwash.

it's an extreemly difficult sistuation, i don't know what to do anymore. for the record Netanyahu is a piece of *#$% and does nothing for the peace process

Originally Posted by Nash

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

I agree in the sense that Jewish Black people need to stop playing the Holocaust Slavery card and their usage of crocodile tears to further their agendas. This is prevalent in the younger communities as they think they have some sort of entitlement because of what their ANCESTORS went through. You don't get to use that as an excuse.
what if someone typed that? i think it is very insensitive to type what you did ...
apples to oranges kid.  don't pick that fight in this thread, stay on topic.
apples to orange as both are categorized as fruits, as both topics are categorized as the same argument?

people just need to learn from the past and move on...ALL people.

it's annoying how people dwell on the past to try and manipulate it towards their own agenda in an attempt for an easy fix/easy way out, when hell, they never even went through it themselves...just trying to bank off other's misfortunes, what makes it worst is they're trying to manipulate what their family and ancestors went through to help themselves...mad shady.   you don't play your fam like that.

keep dwelling on the past though. nobody's going to take you seriously, nor will that ever change anything. it's just a key to a land of unproductiveness.

if people really wanted change, they'd have to be motivated to get off their @!*$# and be proactive for once, change doesn't happen from sitting around and whining

there is nothing apples and oranges about slavery and the holocaust and the way both events it shaped the world we live in today.

one was a systematic killing of people for political reasons (jews, gypsies, gays)
one was a systematic killing of people for profit. (overworking slaves still death, the deaths that resulted from punishment, the voyage over, diseases, a lack of nourishment)

blacks and jews will be mentioning and yes admittedly "using" both events until the end of time

Originally Posted by kien

Originally Posted by Nash

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

I agree in the sense that Jewish Black people need to stop playing the Holocaust Slavery card and their usage of crocodile tears to further their agendas. This is prevalent in the younger communities as they think they have some sort of entitlement because of what their ANCESTORS went through. You don't get to use that as an excuse.
what if someone typed that? i think it is very insensitive to type what you did ...
apples to oranges kid.  don't pick that fight in this thread, stay on topic.
apples to orange as both are categorized as fruits, as both topics are categorized as the same argument?

people just need to learn from the past and move on...ALL people.

it's annoying how people dwell on the past to try and manipulate it towards their own agenda in an attempt for an easy fix/easy way out, when hell, they never even went through it themselves...just trying to bank off other's misfortunes, what makes it worst is they're trying to manipulate what their family and ancestors went through to help themselves...mad shady.   you don't play your fam like that.
last time i checked, most blacks don't play the "slavery" card...they play the "I'm currently being discriminated against" card...which makes more sense

the underlying ROOT of the problem is that the entire world hates jews and doesn't know what to do with them.

This pretty much encapsulates the entire problem for me, in one sentence. It implies and assumes so much.
What you are basically saying is that religious groups cannot coexist. We're not even talking about ethnic groups here.

Israel is wrong and they know it. The whole Zionism state of mind is racist and irrational. There are Jews out there that believe the whole state of Israel is wrong and goes against what is truely written as their beliefs.

DubA, how could you justify the Gaza war that your people inflicted against 1,400 civilians RIGHT BEFORE BUSH STEPPED OUT OF OFFICE. Dubya was giving Israel the green light to kill at will before elections in both nations came about, basically saying it was OKAY to kill civilians, you dont think thats terrorism done by your people?

The only damn controlling and ethnic cleansing done in this world is by Israel and the Zionism beliefs.

Bombardment of jet strikes and illegal weaponry is ok to conclude because 20 or 30 people toss rockets that hit damn near nothing? Whatever happened to going in on foot and capturing the real criminals instead of closing your eyes and just striking anything Palestine?

This Zionism state of mind is sickening.

there is nothing apples and oranges about slavery and the holocaust and the way both events it shaped the world we live in today.

one was a systematic killing of people for political reasons (jews, gypsies, gays)
one was a systematic killing of people for profit. (overworking slaves still death, the deaths that resulted from punishment, the voyage over, diseases, a lack of nourishment)

blacks and jews will be mentioning and yes admittedly "using" both events until the end of time
You state they aren't apples and oranges, than go on to elaborate why they ARE apples and oranges.
grin.gif

Jews were exterminated by the Nazi's yes, but anit-semitism existed long before that. 

Racism itself is a 17th century ideal, the fact that slavery was essential to a countries (the U.S.) power, economically enabling our nation to become the nation it is today. So we see Slavery (an entity not just of the U.S., but of many of the modernized nations we see today, one must attribute a correlation.

In short; Jews were exterminated yes, but it was not a cultural nor was it political as you claim. It was religious. The political, and cultural differences were furthered from initial prejudice.

Originally Posted by Epidemik The Great

not really a political person...can somebody explain this conflict to me in plain english??? some cliffs at least

it's hard to get a fair and balanced account from either side. you need multiple sources.

but basically England #@*!!! up the middle east and nobody knows what to do with Jews and displaced palestianians.

it's a myth that arabs and jews have been fighting for thousands of years.

Originally Posted by Fatherless Child

DubA, how could you justify the Gaza war that your people inflicted against 1,400 civilians RIGHT BEFORE BUSH STEPPED OUT OF OFFICE. Dubya was giving Israel the green light to kill at will before elections in both nations came about, basically saying it was OKAY to kill civilians, you dont think thats terrorism done by your people?
i didn't justify anything. i said it was an overreaction and that the current prime minister is a piece of ##$%.  BUT. if no rockets are launched the overreation never happens
grin.gif

the conflict isn't one sided. which most of you don't want to admit.

. read the post again

whywesteppin wrote:
DubA169 wrote:

the underlying ROOT of the problem is that the entire world hates jews and doesn't know what to do with them.

This pretty much encapsulates the entire problem for me, in one sentence. It implies and assumes so much.
What you are basically saying is that religious groups cannot coexist. We're not even talking about ethnic groups here.

Thats absolutely false and unjust to believe. It isnt the Jews or Jewish belief that everyone is against, its the Zionism and Pro-Israel state of mind that basically brainwashes people all over the world via FOXnews, AOL, and other Pro-Israel owned sources that send out the wrong message of Arabs and Muslims.

for the past 8-9 years, the only thing associated with Islam, Muslims or arabic is Terrorism. Look at things from outside the box and you will truely notice a trend of obscurity and blackmailing.

For thousands of years, Jews used to live under Arab ruling with no violence or killing. You have Jews in Iran who arent killed because they live in a total Muslim nation. The Moroccans use to create a safe-haven for all Jews who were being attacked because they were jews.

So the notion that religious groups cannot coexist and nonsense and false.

Originally Posted by Fatherless Child

whywesteppin wrote:

Thats absolutely false and unjust to believe. It isnt the Jews or Jewish belief that everyone is against, its the Zionism and Pro-Israel state of mind that basically brainwashes people all over the world via FOXnews, AOL, and other Pro-Israel owned sources that send out the wrong message of Arabs and Muslims.

you need to pick up a book or something. you act like the last  thousaonds of years didn't happen. not everything that involves Jews has something to do with muslims

here buddy. this is just Europe!

the spanish inquistion

Antisemitism, or a fear and hatred of the Jewish people,has experienced a long history of expression since the days of ancientcivilizations, with most of it having originated in the Christian andpre-Christian civilizations of Europe. While having been cited ashaving been expressed in the intellectual and political centers of ancient Greece and the Roman Empire,the phenomenon received an upsurge of institutionalization withinEuropean Christianity following the dissolution of the ancient Jewishcenter of power in Jerusalem, resulting in the restriction and forcedsegregation of immigrant and native Jewish populations residing invarious parts of the continent from participation in the public life ofEuropean society.

The Renaissance, Enlightenment and imperialist eras led to a seriesof increasingly non-religious expressions of anti-Semitic phobias andoutrages in the continent, even as much of the continent hadexperienced significant political reformations; by the time that anumber of republican and other non-monarchial systems were established,romantic ethnic nationalismand labor movements had begun to provide a main conduit and motivatorfor expressions of anti-Semitic incidents and violence. This was mostevidenced in the anti-Semitic acts pursued by the Soviet Union and NaziGermany in the early-to-mid 20th century. Throughout the 20th century,anti-Semitic violence and institutionalization spread beyond Europe tothe Arab world and other predominately-Muslim countries. By the 21stcentury, labor-left anti-Semitism remained the primary conduit andmotivator for anti-semitic expressions in Europe, even as the ethnicnationalist conduit has rapidly declined in government endorsement, andrisen in illicit activity, in most of Europe since World War II and the consolidation of the European Union.

Antisemitism has increased significantly in Europe since 2000, withsignificant increases in verbal attacks against Jews and vandalism suchas graffiti, fire bombings of Jewish schools, desecration of synagoguesand cemeteries. In Germany and Austria,where antisemitic incidents are highest in Europe, physical assaultsagainst Jews including beatings, stabbings and other violence increasedmarkedly, in a number of cases resulting in serious injury and evendeath.[sup][1][/sup] The Netherlands and Sweden have also consistently had high rates of anti-semitic attacks since 2000.[sup][2][/sup] Much of the new European antisemitic violence can actually be seen as a spill over from the long running Arab-Israeli conflict since the majority of the perpetrators are from the large immigrant Arabcommunities in European cities. However, compared to France, the UnitedKingdom and much of the rest of Europe, in Germany, Austria, and SwedenArab and pro-Palestinian groups are involved in only a small percentageof antisemitic incidents. Indigenous Germans, Austrians, and Swedes aremore likely to commit violent antisemitic acts, attack Jews verbally orvandalize Jewish property.[sup][1][/sup][sup][3][/sup]
[table][tr][td]
[h2]Contents[/h2] [hide]
[/td][/tr][/table][h2][edit] By country[/h2][h3][edit] Armenia[/h3]
In April 1998, Igor Muradyan, a famous Armenian political analyst and economist, published an anti-semitic article in one of Armenia's leading newspapers Voice of Armenia.Muradyan claimed that the history of Armenian-Jewish relations has beenfilled with "Aryans vs. Semites" conflict manifestations. He accusedJews of inciting ethnic conflicts, including the dispute over Nagorno-Karabagh and demonstrated concern for Armenia's safety in light of Israel's good relations with Turkey.[sup][4][/sup]

In 2002, a book entitled National System (written by Romen Yepiskoposyan in Armenian and Russian) was printed and presented at the Union of Writers of Armenia.In that book, Jews (along with Turks) are identified as number-oneenemies of Armenians and are described as "the nation-destroyer with amission of destruction and decomposition." A section in the bookentitled The Greatest Falsification of the 20th Century denies the Holocaust, claiming that it is a myth created by Zionists to discredit "Aryans": "The greatest falsification in human history is the myth of Holocaust. <...> no one was killed in gas chambers. There were no gas chambers."[sup][5][/sup]A speaker at the event also suggested the book should be distributed inschools in order to "develop a national idea and understanding ofhistory." The event was marked with public accusations that Jews wereresponsible for the Armenian Genocide.

Similar accusations were voiced by Armen Avetissian, the leader of the nationalist Armenian Aryan Order (AAO), on 11 February 2002, when he also called for the Israeli ambassador Rivka Kohento be declared persona non grata in Armenia for Israel's refusal togive the Armenian massacres of 1915 equal status with the Holocaust. Inaddition, he asserted that the number of victims of the Holocaust hasbeen overstated.[sup][6][/sup]

In 2004, Armen Avetissian expressed extremist remarks against Jews in several issues of the AAO run The Armeno-Aryan newspaper, as well as during a number of meetings and press conferences. As a result, his party was excluded from the Armenian Nationalist Front.[sup][7][/sup]

Shortly after, during a prime time talk show, the leader of the People's Party of Armenia and the owner of ALM television channel, Tigran Karapetyan,accused Jews of assisting Ottoman authorities in the 1915 ArmenianGenocide. His interviewee, Armen Avetissian stated that "the ArmenianAryans intend to fight against the Jewish-Masonicaggression and will do what it takes to repress evil in its own nest."Speaking about Armenia's Jewish community Avetissian said that itconsists of "700 of those who identify themselves as Jews and 50,000 ofthose whom the Aryans will soon reveal while cleansing the country ofJewish evil." The Jewish Council of Armenia addressed its concerns tothe government and various human rights organizations demanding to stoppromoting ethnic hatred and to ban ALM. However these demands were mostly disregarded.[sup][7][/sup]

On 23 October 2004, head of the Department for Ethnic and Religious Minority Issues, Hranoush Kharatyan,publicly commented on so-called "Judaist" xenophobia in Armenia. Shesaid: "Why are we not responding to the fact that on their Fridaygatherings, Judaists continue to advocate hatred towards allnon-Judaists as far as comparing the latter to cattle and propagatingspitting on them?"[sup][7][/sup] Kharatyan also accused local Jews of calling for "anti-Christian actions."[sup][8][/sup]

The Jewish Council of Armenia sent an open letter to President Robert Kocharianexpressing its deep concern with the recent rise of antisemitism. ArmenAvetissian responded to this by publishing yet another antisemiticarticle in the Iravunq newspaper, where he stated: "Any countrythat has a Jewish minority is under big threat in terms of stability."Later while meeting with Chairman of the National Assembly of Armenia Artur Baghdasarian, head of the Jewish Council of Armenia Rimma Varzhapetianinsisted that the government took steps to prevent further acts ofantisemitism. Avetissian was eventually arrested on 24 January 2005,however several prominent academic figures, such as Levon Ananyan (the head of the Writers union of Armenia) and composer Ruben Hakhverdian, supported Avetissian and called upon the authorities to release him.[sup][9][/sup] In their demands to release him, they were joined by opposition deputies and even ombudsman Larisa Alaverdyan as the authorities had arrested him for political speech.[sup][10][/sup]

In September 2006, while criticizing the American Global Gold corporation, Armenian Minister of Nature Protection Vardan Ayvazyansaid during a press-conference: "Do you know who you are defending? Youare defending ****s! Go over their [company headquarters] and find outwho is behind this company and if we should let them come here!"[sup][11][/sup][sup][12][/sup].After Rimma Varzhapetian's protests, Aivazian claimed he didn't meanto offend Jews, and that such criticism was intended strictly for the Global Gold company.

Recent vandalism by unknown individuals on Jewish Holocaust Memorial in central Yerevan was witnessed in one of the central parks of Armenian capital on 23 December 2007. A Nazi swastika symbol was scratched and black paint was splattered on the simple stone. After notifying the local police, Rabbi Gershon Burshtein, a Chabad emissary who serves as Chief Rabbi of the country's tiny Jewish community said "Ijust visited the memorial the other day and everything was fine. Thisis terrible, as there are excellent relations between Jews and Armenians."The monument has been defaced and toppled several times in the past fewyears. It is located in the city's Aragast Park, a few blocks north ofthe centrally-located Republic Square, which is home to a number ofgovernment buildings.[sup][13][/sup]
[h3][edit] Denmark[/h3]
Further information: History of the Jews in Denmark

Anti-semitism in Denmark has not been as widespread as in othercountries. Initially Jews were banned as in other countries in Europe,but beginning in the 17th century, Jews were allowed to live in Denmarkfreely, unlike in other European countries where they were forced tolive in ghettos.[sup][14][/sup]

In 1813, Denmark had gone bankrupt and people were looking for ascapegoat. A German anti-Semitic book, translated into Danish, provokeda flood of polemical articles both for and against the Jews.[sup][citation needed][/sup]

In 1819 a series of anti-Jewish riots in Germany spread to severalneighboring countries including Denmark, resulting in mob attacks onJews in Copenhagen and many provincial towns. These riots were known asHep! Hep! Riots,from the derogatory rallying cry against the Jews in Germany. Riotslasted for five months during which time shop windows were smashed,stores looted, homes attacked, and Jews physically abused.

However, during World War II, Denmark was very uncooperative withthe Nazi occupation on Jewish matters. Danish officials repeatedlyinsisted to the German occupation authorities that there was no "Jewishproblem" in Denmark. As a result, even ideologically committed Nazissuch as Reich Commissioner Werner Bestfollowed a strategy of avoiding and deferring discussion of Denmark'sJews. When Denmark's German occupiers began planning the deportation ofthe 8,000 or so Jews in Denmark to Nazi concentration camps,many Danes and Swedes took part in a collective effort to evacuate theroughly 8,000 Jews of Denmark by sea to nearby Sweden (see also Rescue of the Danish Jews).[sup][citation needed][/sup]
[h3][edit] Estonia[/h3]
Further information: History of the Jews in Estonia

In March 1996 the Russian-language newspaper Estoniyareported that antisemitic literature was being distributed by localRussian-speaking organizations; the literature was to be found mainlyat the Narvacentre of the Union of Russian Citizens in Estonia. The Estoniyareporter said he had asked Yuri Mishin, the chairman of the Union,whether such literature reflected the views of his organization; Mishinhad replied that Estonia was a free country and people could readwhatever they wished.

In April 1996 Estonian-language leaflets were found in Tallinn. Theleaflets contained an illustration of a monster from a children's bookto which the authors of the leaflets had added anti-Jewish slogans. Theleaflets were signed by the Estonian National Working Party-NewEstonian Legion. Also in April, German-language leaflets withanti-Jewish overtones calling for the deaths of top officials of Tartu University were found on the walls of student dormitories at the university.

In September the Jewish cemetery in Tallinn was vandalized; fourteen gravestones were damaged.[sup][15][/sup]
[h3][edit] France[/h3]
Further information: History of the Jews in France

The concentration camp at Drancy, near Paris, where Jews were confined until they were deported to the death camps.

Antisemitism was particularly virulent in Vichy France during WWII.The Vichy government openly collaborated with the Nazi occupiers toidentify Jews for deportation and transportation to the death camps(about 75.000 were killed).

Today, despite a steady trend of decreasing antisemitism among the indigenous population,[sup][16][/sup] acts of antisemitism are a serious cause for concern,[sup][17][/sup] as is tension between the Jewish and Muslim populations of France, both the largest in Western Europe.However, according to a poll by the Pew Global Attitudes Project, 71%of French Muslims had positive views of Jews, the highest percentage inthe world[sup][18][/sup].According to the National Advisory Committee on Human Rights,antisemitic acts account for a majority— 72% in all in2003— of racist acts in France.[sup][19][/sup]

In July, 2005 the Pew Global Attitudes Project found that 82% ofFrench people questioned had favorable attitudes towards Jews, thesecond highest percentage of the countries questioned. The Netherlandswas highest at 85%.[sup][20][/sup]

Holocaust denial and anti-Semitic speech are prohibited under the 1990 Gayssot Act.

Over the last several years, anti-Jewish violence, property destruction, and racist language has been increasing. France is home to Western Europe's largest population of Muslims (about 4 million)as well as the continent's largest community of Jews, about 600,000.Jewish leaders perceive an intensifying anti-Semitism in France, mainlyamong Muslims of Arab or African heritage, but also growing among Caribbean islanders from former colonies.

The Masada Action and Defense Movement was a far right false flag terrorist group, which attacked Muslims in France and attempted to frame Jews for the crimes.

Ilan Halimi (1982 - 13 February 2006) was a young French Jew (of Moroccan parentage[sup][21][/sup][sup][22][/sup]) kidnapped on 21 January 2006 by a gang called the "Barbarians" and subsequently tortured to death over a period of three weeks. The murder, amongst whose motives authorities include anti-Semitism,incited a public outcry in a France already marked by intense publiccontroversy about the role of children of immigrants in its society.

With the start of the Second Intifada in Israel, anti-semitic incidents increased in France. In 2002, the Commission nationale consultative des droits de l'homme(Human Rights Commission) reported six times more anti-semiticincidents than in 2001 (193 incidents in 2002). The commission's statisticsshowed that anti-semitic acts constituted 62% of all racist acts in thecountry (compared to 45% in 2001 and 80% in 2000). The reportdocumented 313 violent acts against people or property, including 38injuries and the murder of someone with Maghrebin origins by far right skinheads.[sup][23][/sup]
[h3][edit] Germany[/h3]

An American soldier stands near a wagon piled high with corpses outsidethe crematorium in the newly liberated Buchenwald concentration camp.

Further information: History of the Jews in Germany

See also: Holocaust

From the early Middle Ages to the 18th century, the Jews in Germanywere subject to many persecutions as well as brief times of tolerance.Though the 19th century began with a series of riots and pogromsagainst the Jews, emancipationfollowed in 1848, so that, by the early 20th century, the Jews ofGermany were the most integrated in Europe. The situation changed inthe early 1930s with the rise of the Nazis and their explicitly anti-Semitic program. Hate speech which referred to Jewish citizens as "dirty Jews" became common in anti-Semitic pamphlets and newspapers such as the Völkischer Beobachter and Der Stürmer. Additionally, blame was laid on German Jews for having caused Germany's defeat in World War I (see Dolchstosslegende).

Anti-Jewish propaganda expanded rapidly. Nazi cartoons depicting"dirty Jews" frequently portrayed a dirty, physically unattractive andbadly dressed "talmudic" Jew in traditional religious garments similarto those worn by Hasidic Jews.Articles attacking Jewish Germans, while concentrating on commercialand political activities of prominent Jewish individuals, alsofrequently attacked them based on religious dogmas, such as blood libel.

The Nazi antisemitic program quickly expanded beyond mere speech.Starting in 1933, repressive laws were passed against Jews, culminatingin the Nuremberg Lawswhich removed most of the rights of citizenship from Jews, using aracial definition based on descent, rather than any religiousdefinition of who was a Jew. Sporadic violence against the Jews becamewidespread with the Kristallnacht riots, which targeted Jewish homes, businesses and places of worship, killing hundreds across Germany and Austria.

The antisemitic agenda culminated in the genocide of the Jews of Europe, known as the Holocaust.
[h3][edit] Hungary[/h3]
Further information: History of the Jews in Hungary

In June 1944, Hungarian police deported nearly 440,000 Jews in more than 145 trains, mostly to Auschwitz.[sup][24][/sup] Ultimately, over 400,000 Jews in Hungary were killed during the Holocaust. Although Jews were on both sides of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956[sup][citation needed][/sup], there was a perceptible antisemitic backlash against Jewish members of the former government led by Mátyás Rákosi.

Today, hatred towards Judaism and Israel can be observed from many prominent Hungarian politicians. The most famous example is the MIÉP party and its Chairman, István Csurka.

Antisemitism in Hungary was manifested mainly in far right publications and demonstrations. MIÉP supporters continued their tradition of shouting antisemitic slogans and tearing the US flag to shreds at their annual rallies in Budapestin March 2003 and 2004, commemorating the 1848–49 revolution.Further, during the anniversary demonstrations of both right and leftmarking the 1956 uprising, antisemitic and anti-Israel slogans wereheard from the right, such as accusing Israel of war crimes. Thecenter-right traditionally keeps its distance from the right-wingdemonstration, which was led by Csurka.[sup][25][/sup]
[h3][edit] Latvia[/h3]

Latvian poster: Goy land sheeps for feast of chosen.

Further information: History of the Jews in Latvia

Two desecrationsof Holocaust memorials, in Jelgava and in the Biķernieki Forest, tookplace in 1993. The delegates of the World Congress of Latvian Jews whocame to Biķernieki to commemorate the 46,500 Latvian Jews shot there,were shocked by the sight of swastikas and the word Judenfrei daubed on the memorial.

Articles of antisemitic content appeared in the Latvian nationalist press.

The main topics of these articles were the collaboration of Jewswith the Communists in the Soviet period, Jews tarnishing Latvia's goodname in the West, and Jewish businessmen striving to control theLatvian economy.
[h3][edit] Norway[/h3]
Further information: History of the Jews in Norway

Jews were prohibited from living or entering Norway by paragraph 2 (known as the Jewish Paragraph in Norway) of the 1814 Constitution, which originally read, "Theevangelical-Lutheran religion remains the public religion of the State.Those inhabitants, who confess thereto, are bound to raise theirchildren to the same. Jesuits and monkish orders are not permitted. Jews are still prohibited from entry to the Realm." In 1851 the last sentence was struck out. Monks were permitted in 1897; Jesuits not before 1956.[sup][14][/sup]

The "Jewish Paragraph" was reinstated March 13, 1942 by Vidkun Quislingduring Germany's occupation of Norway. The change was reversed whenNorway was liberated in May 1945. Quisling was after the following legal purge deemed guilty of unlawful change of the Constitution and shot.

In 2010, the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation after one year of research, revealed that anti-semitism was common among Norwegian muslims. Teachers at schools with large shares of muslims revealed that muslim students often "praise or admire Adolf Hitler for his killing of Jews",that "Jew-hate is legitimate within vast groups of muslim students" andthat "muslims laugh or command [teachers] to stop when trying toeducate about the Holocaust". Additionally that "while some students might protest when some express support for terrorism, none object when students express hate of Jews" and that it says in "the Quran that you shall kill Jews, all true muslims hate Jews". Most of these students were said to be born and raised in Norway. One Jewishfather also told that his child after school had been taken by a muslimmob (though managed to escape), reportedly "to be taken out to theforest and hung because he was a Jew".[sup][26][/sup]
[h3][edit] Poland[/h3]
Further information: History of the Jews in Poland

In 1264, Duke Boleslaus the Pious from Greater Poland legislated a Statute of Kalisz,a charter for Jewish residence and protection, which encouragedmoney-lending, hoping that Jewish settlement would contribute to thedevelopment of the Polish economy. By the sixteenth century, Poland hadbecome the center of European Jewry and the most tolerant of allEuropean countries regarding the matters of faith, althoughoccasionally also Poland witnessed violent antisemitic incidents[sup][citation needed][/sup].

At the onset of the seventeenth century, tolerance began to give wayto increased anti-Semitism. Elected to the Polish throne King Sigismund III of the Swedish House of Vasa, a strong supporter of the counter-reformation, began to undermine the principles of the Warsaw Confederation and the religious tolerance in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, revoking and limiting privileges of all non-Catholic faiths. In 1628 he banned publication of Hebrew books, including the Talmud.[sup][27][/sup] Acclaimed twentieth century historian Simon Dubnow, in his magnum opus History of the Jews in Poland and Russia, detailed:
"At the end of the 16th century and thereafter, not one yearpassed without a blood libel trial against Jews in Poland, trials whichalways ended with the execution of Jewish victims in a heinousmanner..." (ibid., volume 6, chapter 4).
In the 1650s the Swedish invasion of the Commonwealth (The Deluge) and the Chmielnicki Uprising of the Cossacksresulted in vast depopulation of the Commonwealth, as over 30% of the~10 million population has perished or emigrated. In the related1648-55 pogroms led by the Ukrainian uprising against Polish nobility (szlachta), during which approximately 100,000 Jews were slaughtered, Polish and Ruthenian peasants often participated in killing Jews (The Jews in Poland,Ken Spiro, 2001). The besieged szlachta, who were also decimated in theterritories where the uprising happened, typically abandoned the loyalpeasantry, townsfolk, and the Jews renting their land, in violation of"rental" contracts.

In the aftermath of the Deluge and Chmielnicki Uprising, many Jews fled to the less turbulent Netherlands, which had granted the Jews a protective charter in 1619. From then until the Nazideportations in 1942, the Netherlands remained a remarkably toleranthaven for Jews in Europe, exceeding the tolerance extant in all otherEuropean countries at the time, and becoming one of the few Jewishhavens until nineteenth century social and political reforms throughoutmuch of Europe. Many Jews also fled to England, open to Jews since themid-seventeenth century, in which Jews were fundamentally ignored andnot typically persecuted. Historian Berel Wein notes:
"In a reversal of roles that is common in Jewish history, thevictorious Poles now vented their wrath upon the hapless Jews of thearea, accusing them of collaborating with the Cossack invader!... The Jews, reeling from almost five years of constant hell, abandoned their Polish communities and institutions..." (Triumph of Survival, 1990).
Throughout the sixteenth to eighteenth century, many of the szlachtamistreated peasantry, townsfolk and Jews. Threat of mob violence was aspecter over the Jewish communities in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth at the time. On one occasion in 1696, a mob threatened to massacre the Jewish community of Posin, Vitebsk.The mob accused the Jews of murdering a Pole. At the last moment, apeasant woman emerged with the victim's clothes and confessed to themurder. One notable example of actualized riots against Polish Jews isthe rioting of 1716, during which many Jews lost their lives. Later, in1723, the Bishop of Gdańsk instigated the massacre of hundreds of Jews.

On the other hand, it should be noted that despite the mentioned incidents, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was a relative haven for Jews when compared to the period of the partitions of Poland and the PLC's destruction in 1795 (see Imperial Russia and the Soviet Union, below).

Leon Khazanovich, a leader of Poalei Zion, documented the pogroms and persecution of the Jews in 105 towns and villages in Poland in November-December 1918.[sup][28][/sup]

Anti-Jewish sentiments continued to be present in Poland, even afterthe country regained its independence. One notable manifestation ofthese attitudes includes numerus clausus rules imposed, by almost all Polish universities in the 1937. William W. Hagen in his Before the "Final Solution": Toward a Comparative Analysis of Political Anti-Semitism in Interwar Germany and Poland article in Journal of Modern History (July, 1996): 1-31, details:
"In Poland, the semidictatorial government of Piłsudskiand his successors, pressured by an increasingly vocal opposition onthe radical and fascist right, implemented many anti-Semitic policiestending in a similar direction, while still others were on the officialand semiofficial agenda when war descended in 1939.... In the 1930s therealm of official and semiofficial discrimination expanded to encompasslimits on Jewish export firms... and, increasingly, on universityadmission itself. In 1921-22 some 25 percent of Polish universitystudents were Jewish, but in 1938-39 their proportion had fallen to 8percent."
While there are many examples of Polish support and help for the Jewsduring World War II and the Holocaust, there are also numerous examplesof anti-Semitic incidents, and the Jewish population was certain of theindifference towards their fate from the Christian Poles. The PolishInstitute of National Remembrance identified twenty-four pogroms against Jews during World War II, the most notable occurring at the village of Jedwabne in 1941 (see massacre in Jedwabne).

After the end of World War II the remaining anti-Jewish sentimentswere skillfully used at certain moments by Communist party orindividual politicians in order to achieve their assumed politicalgoals, which pinnacled in the March 1968 events. These sentiments started to diminish only with the collapse of the communistrule in Poland in 1989, which has resulted in a re-examination ofevents between Jewish and Christian Poles, with a number of incidents,like the massacre at Jedwabne, being discussed openly for the firsttime. Violent anti-semitism in Poland in 21st century is marginal[sup][29][/sup]compared to elsewhere, but there are very few Jews remaining in Poland.Still, according to recent (June 7, 2005) results of research by B'nai Briths Anti-Defamation League,Poland remains among the European countries (with others being Italy,Spain and Germany) with the largest percentages of people holdinganti-Semitic views.[sup][30][/sup]

Anti-Semites in Poland have been appointed to crucial government andmedia positions. The deputy chairman of Poland's state owned TV NetworkPiotr Farfal is a Polish neo-Nazi, "far-right political activist and aformer editor-in-chief of the Polish skinhead magazine Front, whichopenly supports anti-Semitism." Polands former deputy prime ministerand education minister Roman Giertych, who supported Farfals appointment, is also a leader of the far right and anti-semitic League of Polish Families.[sup][31][/sup]

On May 27, 2006, Michael Schudrich, the Chief Rabbi of Polandbecame the victim of an anti-Semitic attack when he was assaulted incentral Warsaw by a 33-year-old Polish neo-Nazi, who confessed toassaulting the Jewish leader with what appeared to be pepper spray.According to the police, the perpetrator had ties to "Naziorganizations" and a history of soccer-related hooliganism.[sup][32][/sup]
[h3][edit] Russia and the Soviet Union[/h3]

"Judaism Without Embellishments" by Trofim Kichko, published by theAcademy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR in 1963: "It is in theteachings of Judaism, in the Old Testament, and in the Talmud, that theIsraeli militarists find inspiration for their inhuman deeds, racisttheories, and expansionist designs..."

Further information: History of the Jews in Russia and Soviet Union

See also: Antisemitism in the Soviet Union

See also: Pogrom

The Pale of Settlement was the Western region of Imperial Russia to which Jews were restricted by the Tsarist Ukase of 1792. It consisted of the territories of former Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, annexed with the existing numerous Jewish population, and the Crimea (which was later cut out from the Pale).

During 1881-1884, 1903–1906 and 1914–1921, waves of antisemitic pogroms swept Russian Jewish communities. At least some pogroms are believed to have been organized or supported by the Russian Okhrana.Although there is no hard evidence for this, the Russian police andarmy generally displayed indifference to the pogroms, for instanceduring the three-day First Kishinev pogrom of 1903.

During this period the May Lawspolicy was also put into effect, banning Jews from rural areas andtowns, and placing strict quotas on the number of Jews allowed intohigher education and many professions. The combination of therepressive legislation and pogroms propelled mass Jewish emigration,and by 1920 more than two million Russian Jews had emigrated, most tothe United States while some made aliya to the Land of Israel.

One of the most infamous antisemitic tractates was the Russian Okhrana literary hoax, The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, created in order to blame the Jews for Russia's problems during the period of revolutionary activity.

Even though many Old Bolsheviks were ethnically Jewish, they sought to uproot Judaism and Zionism and established the Yevsektsiyato achieve this goal. By the end of the 1940s the Communist leadershipof the former USSR had liquidated almost all Jewish organizations,including Yevsektsiya.

Stalin's antisemitic campaign of 1948-1953 against so-called "rootless cosmopolitans," destruction of the Jewish Anti-Fascist Committee, the fabrication of the "Doctors' plot," the rise of "Zionology" and subsequent activities of official organizations such as the Anti-Zionist committee of the Soviet publicwere officially carried out under the banner of "anti-Zionism," but theuse of this term could not obscure the anti-Semitic content of thesecampaigns, and by the mid-1950s the state persecution of Soviet Jewsemerged as a major human rights issue in the West and domestically. Seealso: Jackson-Vanik amendment, Refusenik, Pamyat.

Stalin sought to segregate Russian Jews into "Soviet Zion", with the help of Komzet and OZET in 1928[sup][citation needed][/sup]. The Jewish Autonomous Oblast with the center in Birobidzhan in the Russian Far East attracted only limited settlement, and never achieved Stalin's goal[sup][citation needed][/sup] of an internal exile for the Jewish people.

A demonstration in Russia. The antisemitic slogans cite Henry Ford and Empress Elizabeth

Today, anti-Semitic pronouncements, speeches and articles are commonin Russia, and there are a number of anti-Semitic neo-Nazi groups inthe republics of the former Soviet Union, leading Pravda to declare in 2002 that "Anti-semitism is booming in Russia."[sup][33][/sup]Over the past few years there have also been bombs attached toanti-Semitic signs, apparently aimed at Jews, and other violentincidents, including stabbings, have been recorded.

Though the government of Vladimir Putintakes an official stand against anti-semitism, some political partiesand groups are explicitly anti-Semitic, in spite of a Russian law (Art.282) against fomenting racial, ethnic or religious hatred. In 2005, agroup of 15 Dumamembers demanded that Judaism and Jewish organizations be banned fromRussia. In June, 500 prominent Russians, including some 20 members ofthe nationalist Rodina party, demanded that the stateprosecutor investigate ancient Jewish texts as "anti-Russian" and banJudaism — the investigation was actually launched, but haltedamid international outcry.[sup][citation needed][/sup]
[h3][edit] Ukraine[/h3]

Antisemitic graffiti in the main street of the Ukrainian capital, Kiev

"The ****s will not reside in Lviv." A graffiti in medieval Jewish ghetto in Lviv, Ukraine

Ukraine experienced brutal antisemitism during the WW2. Ukrainian nationalists of OUN (b) organized an assembly in Nazioccupied Cracow in April 1940 and the assembly proclaimed: "The ****sin the USSR are the most faithful basement of the Bolshevic regime andthe vanguard of the Moscow imperialism in Ukraine... The Organizationof Ukrainian nationalists fights against the ****s as the basement ofthe Moscow Bolshevik regime with the understanding that Moscow is themain enemy".[sup][34][/sup].The Ukrainian nationalists proclaimed the independent Ukrainian statein the first days of Nazi occupation of Western Ukraine and thenationalist Yaroslav Stecko, the leader of the newly-created state,proclaimed: "Moscow and the ****s are the most dangerous enemies ofUkraine. I think that the key enemy is Moscow that took Ukraine intoslavery. Nevertheless I estimate the hostile and pest will of the ****swho assisted Moscow to enslave Ukraine. Therefore I hold my position toexterminate the ****s and consider the German methods of exterminationof the ****s be advisable excluding the any possibility ofassimilation".[sup][35][/sup].
[h3][edit] Spain[/h3]
Further information: History of the Jews in Spain

The first major persecution of Jews in Spain occurred on Dec. 30, 1066 when the Jews were expelled from Granada and nearly 3,000 Jews were killed during the Granada massacre when they did not leave. This was the first persecution of Jews by the Muslims on the Peninsula under Islamic rule.[sup][36][/sup]

Manuscript page by Maimonides, one of the greatest Jewish scholars of Al Andalus, born in Córdoba. Arabic language in Hebrew letters

A possible date of the end of the Golden Age might be in 1090 with the invasion of the Almoravids, a puritan Muslim sect from Morocco. Even under the Almoravids, some Jews prospered (although far more so under Ali III, than under his father Yusuf ibn Tashfin). Among those who held the title of "vizier" or "nasi" in Almoravid times were the poet and physician Abu Ayyub Solomon ibn al-Mu'allam, Abraham ibn Meïr ibn Kamnial, Abu Isaac ibn Muhajar, and Solomon ibn Farusal(although Solomon was murdered May 2, 1108). However, the Almoravidswere ousted in 1148, to be replaced by the even more puritanical Almohades.Under the reign of the Almohades, the Jews were forced to accept theIslamic faith; the conquerors confiscated their property and took theirwives and children, many of whom were sold as slaves. The most famous Jewish educational institutions were closed, and synagogues everywhere destroyed.

Most Muslims and Jews were forced to either convert to Christianityor leave Spain and Portugal and have their assets seized during the Reconquista. Many Muslims and Jews moved to North Africa rather than submit toforced conversion. During the Islamic administration, Christians andJews were allowed to convert or retain their religions with many reduced rights and a token tax, which if not paid the penalty was death, although during the time of the Almoravids and especially the Almohads they were also treated badly, in contrast to the policies of the earlier Umayyad rulers.
[h3][edit] Sweden[/h3]
Further information: History of the Jews in Sweden

Sweden has a relatively small Jewish community of around 20,000.[sup][37][/sup]

Jews have been permitted to immigrate to Sweden since the late 18th century, at first only to Stockholm, Göteborg and Norrköping, but this restriction was removed in 1854.[sup][38][/sup] In 1870 Jews received full citizens' rights and the first Jewish members of parliament (riksdagen), Aron Philipson and Moritz Rubenson, were elected in 1873.[sup][39][/sup]However Swedish non-Protestants, most of which were Catholics and Jews,were still not allowed to teach the subject of Christianity in publicschools or to be government ministers (statsråd); these restrictions were removed in 1951. Yiddish has legal status as one of the country's official minority languages.[sup][40][/sup]

There have, however, been a number of antisemitic incidents in recent years, and after Germany and Austria, Sweden has the highest rate of antisemitic incidents in Europe. Though the Netherlands reports a higher rate of antisemitism in some years.[sup][41][/sup][sup][verification needed][/sup]A government study in 2006 estimated that 15% of Swedes agree with thestatement: "The Jews have too much influence in the world today".[sup][42][/sup]Five percent of the entire adult population, and 39% of the Muslimpopulation, harbor strong and consistent antisemitic views. FormerPrime Minister Göran Perssondescribed these results as "surprising and terrifying". However, theRabbi of Stockholm's Orthodox Jewish community, Meir Horden claimedthat "It's not true to say that the Swedes are anti-Semitic. Some ofthem are hostile to Israel because they support the weak side, whichthey perceive the Palestinians to be."[sup][43][/sup]

In early 2010, the Swedish publication The Localpublished series of articles about the growing anti-Semitism in Malmö, Sweden.In an interview in January 2010, Fredrik Sieradzki of the JewishCommunity of Malmö stated that “Threats against Jews haveincreased steadily in Malmö in recent years and many young Jewishfamilies are choosing to leave the city. Many feel that the communityand local politicians have shown a lack of understanding for how thecity’s Jewish residents have been marginalized.

Back
Top Bottom