I WANT TO ENCOURAGE A MORE CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION OVER RACE RELATIONS ON NT

black and race and ethnicity are two different things

[emoji]129300[/emoji]

In the current model, the census differentiates between race and origin, and does not consider Hispanic to be a race. Many people have found phrasing of the questions to be confusing.

“I’m very happy that they are going to test a question which gets away from the language of race and ethnicity because frankly that is just a quagmire, that language,” Ann Morning, a member of the Census Bureau’s advisory committee and a New York University race scholar, told Pew Research.

http://time.com/3927002/census-race-ethnicity/

Last edited:

[emoji]129300[/emoji]
In the current model, the census differentiates between race and origin, and does not consider Hispanic to be a race. Many people have found phrasing of the questions to be confusing.

“I’m very happy that they are going to test a question which gets away from the language of race and ethnicity because frankly that is just a quagmire, that language,” Ann Morning, a member of the Census Bureau’s advisory committee and a New York University race scholar, told Pew Research.
I honestly don't know what you're even arguing anymore. I don't disagree with anything that was said there. Hispanic is not a race, and the whole thing is confusing because we don't have any absolute definitions.

Amidst all the BS in here I have a legitimate question...

So I'm white. I've noticed my mother tends to act differently around black people or when talking about black people. It's not in a racist way, but I can tell she's a little unsure of herself in certain situations. For example, she referred to someone as an "African American man". The way she said it was just awkward. I know she was trying to be PC. But I told her, "mom, it's ok to just say black now." She also used the term "mulatto" recently and I told her I think that is a derogatory term and the proper thing to say is "mixed". I just want to know if I advised my mother correctly here. On being PC in 2016...

Mulatto is still used in the Eastern World, but in the West its more preferable to say Biracial. And Black is fine if you dont know someones Ethnicity because all Black people aren't African American.

"Black" people are the only people on earth with the past that we have so you essentially have to use the term while other people around the world arent as mixed thus you can get away with referring purely to their ethnicity and if the ethnicity is unknown then you refer to their Continental Ancestral origin.

So a person from Korea you would PC call them an Asian if you didnt know their ethnicity but you wouldn't call them Yellow.

Unfortunately the Western World was created on Racism so its literally impossible to try to dance around it, which is why these convos need to be had.

For example, Americans would refer to someone from who has parents from Kenya but was born in the states as an "African". this is Incorrect. That Person is an American, and Ethnically they are from whatever ethnic group in Kenya their parents from. If that person were to go to Kenya the locals would call them American, yet in America someone would call them African.

Pre Europeans running amuck on the world, people went by their Ethnic Group and not by Colors.

Just because the APA says that they are interchangeable for their academic writings doesn't mean as far as society is concerned they are interchangeable. The APA is not the standard for how we define things in American society, different organizations would have a different definition.

You've done nothing more than chosen the definition that suits your argument.

So I'm white. I've noticed my mother tends to act differently around black people or when talking about black people. It's not in a racist way, but I can tell she's a little unsure of herself in certain situations. For example, she referred to someone as an "African American man". The way she said it was just awkward. I know she was trying to be PC. But I told her, "mom, it's ok to just say black now." She also used the term "mulatto" recently and I told her I think that is a derogatory term and the proper thing to say is "mixed". I just want to know if I advised my mother correctly here. On being PC in 2016...

IMO the best way to make sure you use the correct term is to ask the person but in situations you're not able to I think Black person, Black American, African American are all cool and mixed is as well I guess although I can't be to sure about the mixed thing because I don't have the life experiences of someone who is mixed so they might feel differently about it. 

And if I had to speak on why she was unsure of what to say is because throughout her lifetime she's seen what people call minorities in this country change so much she just doesn't really know what the proper term is and is nervous of being wrong. Like my fathers birth certificate says colored...not black colored. The only term for a race that has stayed consistent is White. (expect for that one time they tried to go by Caucasian but the supreme court changed that).

Yeah I agree it's always best to ask. But this is a situation where she wasn't able to and I kind of cringed when I heard her say African American because it felt so outdated and awkward to me. I don't want her to make a fool out of herself and call someone "mulatto" because I KNOW for a fact that term is outdated but I feel older white people have a tougher time transitioning from saying African American to saying black, while it's the other way around for our generation who are just used to saying black.

See and this was touched on some 10 pages back, that because him as a black Latino doesn't embrace the term black then he has no right labeling others black as if it automatically puts a negative stigma on the term.

Like that study that concluded that the life expectancy of white American men has decreased, should a Lighskinned latino be concerned?...does he fall under the criteria of white American? I'm seriously looking for someone to shed some light on this, that's why at the beginning of this thread I wanted to stay away from the black Angle of this debate and focus on the White angle since we come in both, and discussing the white aspect of Latinos might be less sensitive.

well it does. he doesn't know how others want to be identified (at least that's how it comes off as).

imo it depends on the ratio of how much european that person has or where they live. lots of studies are flawed. those included.

at least to me when he wants to identify with the hip hop culture. correct me if im wrong but hip hop culture is part of black america. so when he chooses to dress in that fashion it seems like that is the only time he wants to be part of it. but i might be wrong. but others might perceive it that way

Mulatto is still used in the Eastern World, but in the West its more preferable to say Biracial. And Black is fine if you dont know someones Ethnicity because all Black people aren't African American.

"Black" people are the only people on earth with the past that we have so you essentially have to use the term while other people around the world arent as mixed thus you can get away with referring purely to their ethnicity and if the ethnicity is unknown then you refer to their Continental Ancestral origin.

So a person from Korea you would PC call them an Asian if you didnt know their ethnicity but you wouldn't call them Yellow.

Unfortunately the Western World was created on Racism so its literally impossible to try to dance around it, which is why these convos need to be had.

For example, Americans would refer to someone from who has parents from Kenya but was born in the states as an "African". this is Incorrect. That Person is an American, and Ethnically they are from whatever ethnic group in Kenya their parents from. If that person were to go to Kenya the locals would call them American, yet in America someone would call them African.

Pre Europeans running amuck on the world, people went by their Ethnic Group and not by Colors.

Yeah it has really messed everything up. I like your Asia analogy. It really puts in perspective how silly it is to call someone "black". But it's just so ingrained in our culture how can you not? :smh:

[emoji]129300[/emoji]

I honestly don't know what you're even arguing anymore. I don't disagree with anything that was said there. Hispanic is not a race, and the whole thing is confusing because we don't have any absolute definitions.
Thats what I'm saying I don't know what point he was trying to make there. Nothing in there refutes the idea that race and ethnicity are two different things. I think (hope really) most people understand race is not biological. Im beginning to wonder if he believes that it is.

@Hennessy  I feel you she was just saying African American because she felt it was the right thing to say but she didn't know. @LuckyLuchiano  said it best here just now
 And Black is fine if you dont know someones Ethnicity because all Black people aren't African American.

Last edited:
Maybe we need to transition back to using African American, Latino, or the proper cultural identity instead of calling ninjahood, anton, and anyone else with darker skin and African features "black". "But da APA..." I dunno. Still a very interesting discussion in here today.

Last edited:
well it does. he doesn't know how others want to be identified (at least that's how it comes off as).

imo it depends on the ratio of how much european that person has or where they live. lots of studies are flawed. those included.
at least to me when he wants to identify with the hip hop culture. correct me if im wrong but hip hop culture is part of black america. so when he chooses to dress in that fashion it seems like that is the only time he wants to be part of it. but i might be wrong. but others might perceive it that way

Most of us who grew up in NY dressed or still dress like that man...white, Asian, black, Latino, you can't single out ninja for his choice of clothing man

Maybe we need to transition back to using African American, Latino, or the proper cultural identity instead of calling ninjahood, anton, and anyone else with darker skin and African features "black". "But da APA..." I dunno. Still a very interesting discussion in here today.

The thing is BLACK or at least Saying AFRO/African-*insert ethnicity here*

Is what unifies the AFRICANS of the Dispora. Saying Afro-Dominican, Afro-American,Afro-Cuban, etc is honoring the Common African Ancestor along with Keeping alive and acknowledging the History and the nations these BLACK people built.

BLACK people help build America and the Dominican Republic so they have every right to own the title of being an American or Dominican.

Calling Someone Black is not denouncing the history of the nations these people built, it is acknowledging we are all ancestral cousins.

The issue at hand is You have Latinos who want to use European Jedi Mind tricks so they can try to assimilate to what they think is the Winning team.

If Ninja wants to denounce he is black cool, but he has to understand if he uses the N word around a Black person than its fade on site. It might fly in Da Heightz but let him try it around a Proud Black Man and see what happens.

I get what you're saying but identifying someone by their skin color isn't inherently wrong, the problem is how people treat and think about people based off of those visual. Thats whats more important to get people to stop doing and it would take generations of re-education. America has been around for about 400 years, for 340 of those years we have had legalized discrimination based the color of someones skin, stereotypes and sustaining white supremacy. Its gonna be a long time for us to break that mindset up.

Do you all constantly try and take jabs at black people too?

IDK who created this "I cant be racist/prejudice I grew up listening to rap and wore jordans"

lol all you got to do is get one of these "down" Whites, Hispanics or Asians angry and you will see their true colors and whether they are racist or not.

I get what you're saying but identifying someone by their skin color isn't inherently wrong, the problem is how people treat and think about people based off of those visual. Thats whats more important to get people to stop doing and it would take generations of re-education. America has been around for about 400 years, for 340 of those years we have had legalized discrimination based the color of someones skin, stereotypes and sustaining white supremacy. Its gonna be a long time for us to break that mindset up.

The issue at hand is Asians were not stolen from their land, they willingly came here thus they are able to trace they exact Nation and Ethnic group they descend from.

Black people do not have that Luxury which is why every 50 yrs you have to figure out another PC name to call Black people native to the West, simply because people want to skate around the history and the people who caused people to be robbed of their identify.

[emoji]129300[/emoji]

Da point is Hispanic is now its OWN category, validation of my whole point that in da united States, black & African American are used interchangeability, and when i claim im a Latino and NOT a African American, its done NOT outta racial castigations towards blacks, it's done to accurately depict my identity.

Last edited:

The thing is BLACK or at least Saying AFRO/African-*insert ethnicity here*

Is what unifies the AFRICANS of the Dispora. Saying Afro-Dominican, Afro-American,Afro-Cuban, etc is honoring the Common African Ancestor along with Keeping alive and acknowledging the History and the nations these BLACK people built.

BLACK people help build America and the Dominican Republic so they have every right to own the title of being an American or Dominican.

Calling Someone Black is not denouncing the history of the nations these people built, it is acknowledging we are all ancestral cousins.

The issue at hand is You have Latinos who want to use European Jedi Mind tricks so they can try to assimilate to what they think is the Winning team.

If Ninja wants to denounce he is black cool, but he has to understand if he uses the N word around a Black person than its fade on site. It might fly in Da Heightz but let him try it around a Proud Black Man and see what happens.

There are some great posts sprinkled throughout this thread.

[emoji]129300[/emoji]

Da point is Hispanic is now its OWN category, validation of my whole point that in da united States, black & African American are used interchangeability, and when i claim im a Latino and NOT a African American, its done NOT outta racial castigations towards blacks, it's done to accurately depict my identity.

In the United States, any person who has dark skinned will be considered black and even African-American, until they either correct the person who assumed or something else. From afar, w/o knowing you, a person would assume you were black/African-American unless you were carrying around a DR flag or something, or you started speaking in Spanish.

It's the same w/ those from Asia, from afar or at first meeting, people would that someone was from China, hell, where I grew up the corner stores owned by those from Asian countries were called "Chinese" stores out of ignorance of their nationality. Some still do but as I got older and learned about the different cultures, I dropped that action.

And Hispanic is not it's own category since you can be Euro-hispanic or Afro-hispanic, etc. Latino, yes, hispanic, no.......But that's all based off of a bunch of people that don't really have a clue about the culture so.....

In the United States, any person who has dark skinned will be considered black and even African-American, until they either correct the person who assumed or something else. From afar, w/o knowing you, a person would assume you were black/African-American unless you were carrying around a DR flag or something, or you started speaking in Spanish.

It's the same w/ those from Asia, from afar or at first meeting, people would that someone was from China, hell, where I grew up the corner stores owned by those from Asian countries were called "Chinese" stores out of ignorance of their nationality. Some still do but as I got older and learned about the different cultures, I dropped that action.

And Hispanic is not it's own category since you can be Euro-hispanic or Afro-hispanic, etc. Latino, yes, hispanic, no.......But that's all based off of a bunch of people that don't really have a clue about the culture so.....

A dark skin Indian would not be called Black or AA.

BLACK is anyone having African ancestry that isn't considered Mixed/a minority around of African Ancestry ie. The recent group of people that live in what we call Egypt and Libya are not Black.

If White Arabs and White Europeans never enslaved Africans then the term Black wouldn't even be used in the way it has to be today.

View media item 2001870
This kid while dark in skin color is genetically close to being White or Asian than they are to being African.

More evidence on how the Transatlantic Slave trade screwed up the world.

Last edited:

Now we getting somewhere.

A dark skin Indian would not be called Black or AA.

BLACK is anyone having African ancestry that isn't considered Mixed/a minority around of African Ancestry ie. The recent group of people that live in what we call Egypt and Libya are not Black.

If White Arabs and White Europeans never enslaved Africans then the term Black wouldn't even be used in the way it has to be today.

View media item 2001870
This kid while dark in skin color is genetically close to being White or Asian than they are to being African.

More evidence on how the Transatlantic Slave trade screwed up the world.

According to 50 pages in this thread anyone with dark skin is black....yeah let me tell my South Indian coworker she's black....

According to 50 pages in this thread anyone with dark skin is black....yeah let me tell my South Indian coworker she's black....

If Ninja took a DNA test right now he would comeback with African Ancestry at an amount more than 40% though, lol your South Indian Coworker would have less than 10% if any.

Why is this a hard concept to grasp?

I`m 100% "African" yet there are "mixed" Dominicans way darker than me. What makes us common is we both have African Ancestry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom