I will never tip at a restaraunt ever again.

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

Originally Posted by John2st

10$ tip is min no matter where i go. but if its a higher bill i tip no less than 25%.. thats just me.. same goes with delivery $5 tip unless its a big order... i hate cheap people and would never want to be that dude thats cheap. plus i bartend and i know the feeling.. but in the industry you can tell who is tippin and who aint.
Someone is cheap because they don't feel the need to pay more for something than the price plus tax? So, should I give extra money to any other business so that I don't come off as "cheap"?
The concept of going to a restaurant means you're paying a server based on how well they take care of you especially when it is busy along with paying for the price of your FOOD. You want to just pay for the food? Go to a fast food restaurant where they hand you the burger from a rack 5 feet from the range it was cooked on. You want to eat out and get served? Pay for service, it's that simple because the price of the service is not included in the price of the food.

You want a handy tipping guide?

15% - My waiter handled my order correctly and was able to keep me comfortable while I was eating
20% - My waiter was excellent. I am pleasantly surprised at how well this meal went.
25% - Everything was handled correctly and I didn't even have to ask for another water. This waiter is the bomb.

Originally Posted by So Nyuh Shi Dae

Originally Posted by John2st

10$ tip is min no matter where i go. but if its a higher bill i tip no less than 25%.. thats just me.. same goes with delivery $5 tip unless its a big order... i hate cheap people and would never want to be that dude thats cheap. plus i bartend and i know the feeling.. but in the industry you can tell who is tippin and who aint.
Someone is cheap because they don't feel the need to pay more for something than the price plus tax? So, should I give extra money to any other business so that I don't come off as "cheap"?
The concept of going to a restaurant means you're paying a server based on how well they take care of you especially when it is busy along with paying for the price of your FOOD. You want to just pay for the food? Go to a fast food restaurant where they hand you the burger from a rack 5 feet from the range it was cooked on. You want to eat out and get served? Pay for service, it's that simple because the price of the service is not included in the price of the food.

15% - My waiter handled my order correctly and was able to keep me comfortable while I was eating
20% - My waiter was excellent. I am pleasantly surprised at how well this meal went.
25% - Everything was handled correctly and I didn't even have to ask for another water. This waiter is the bomb.

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Originally Posted by BAMFA

Anyone who looks/sounds foreign.

Kids.

Old people who drink a lotta coffee.

Loud/Roudy teenagers

Teenagers

People who dress trailer parky/ low-income / "ghetto"

People who ask why the prices are so high for drinks, or are too focused on the drink menu.

and half the time it's just the swagger of the person walking in. It's something you just figure out after working in the industry.
laugh.gif
Hit the nail on the head.
I'm a valet, I know these types. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

Anyone who looks/sounds foreign.

Kids.

Old people who drink a lotta coffee.

Loud/Roudy teenagers

Teenagers

People who dress trailer parky/ low-income / "ghetto"

People who ask why the prices are so high for drinks, or are too focused on the drink menu.

and half the time it's just the swagger of the person walking in. It's something you just figure out after working in the industry.
laugh.gif
Hit the nail on the head.
I'm a valet, I know these types. 
laugh.gif

people don't realize when you eat at a restaurant you get waited on, you get your drinks brought to you, and if the server is doing their job right you get catered to during your time at that establishment.

now if you don't believing in tipping for someone catering to you and making sure you have a good expierence at that establishment then eat fast food or something that's more in your price range and the problem is solved.

people don't realize when you eat at a restaurant you get waited on, you get your drinks brought to you, and if the server is doing their job right you get catered to during your time at that establishment.

now if you don't believing in tipping for someone catering to you and making sure you have a good expierence at that establishment then eat fast food or something that's more in your price range and the problem is solved.

And what if we got poor service.
And what if we got AWFUL service.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

poor service(maybe a few screw ups in the order or one with no apology)  - 5-10%
rude/awful service - $.01 and a quickly written napkin sign indicating that the penny is their tip
pimp.gif

poor service(maybe a few screw ups in the order or one with no apology)  - 5-10%
rude/awful service - $.01 and a quickly written napkin sign indicating that the penny is their tip
pimp.gif

Do I really need to spell it out for you?

Don't tip if the server was rude for no reason. I've mentioned i've done it before.

I've also tipped a horrible waiter who just didn't seem attentive because everyone has an off day or two and maybe it was one of his. It didn't affect my meal too much. It's a guideline. There seems to be something you're not getting and I know its cause you just can't comprehend what some of us have been saying despite the fact that we offer insight from the other side of the business.

Do I really need to spell it out for you?

Don't tip if the server was rude for no reason. I've mentioned i've done it before.

I've also tipped a horrible waiter who just didn't seem attentive because everyone has an off day or two and maybe it was one of his. It didn't affect my meal too much. It's a guideline. There seems to be something you're not getting and I know its cause you just can't comprehend what some of us have been saying despite the fact that we offer insight from the other side of the business.

Originally Posted by SharpiePoint

Originally Posted by UnbornSeed

Clubs do that non-sense now to. I ordered a round and got slapped with a 18% gratuity? I left no extra tip and drew a penis climaxing as my sig and eventually got kicked out for it. I dont think its racial but TIPs should be EARNED not EXPECTED.
laugh.gif
  You make a good point about earning your tips, but honestly do you think most servers love or even enjoy their job?  Safe to say no.
Therefore, they know they can slack off and give you awful service and still get a tip.  Regardless, tips are expected in American society and culture, it's just a matter of what you would like to tip for their service, either 15% for poor or 20-25% for excellent service.  
And that is what OP is saying. People expect to get tipped. They feel entitled, even though they might not have earned it. Why is someone viewed as a bad person if their service was piss-poor and they didn't tip? I don't understand that approach at all. I thought it was supposed to be something EARNED.

As OP said, people tip a lot of times just so they won't be "that person."

I feel many people forget this.  I understand that some waiters/waitresses can have bad days or be too busy that they may not get to you immediately, but at least be polite and act like your parents raised you right.  I'll be damned if someone isn't going to refill my drinks or leave me waiting to order, and expect me to leave even a 15% tip.  I have never worked as a waiter or busboy, but my friend has and he's a way more harsh tipper than I am.  People need to learn to deal with their emotions at the correct time and place, don't bring that *+%+ to me when I'm trying to sit down and have a nice meal with family/friends.  At the end of the day, if the service was alright then I'll consider leaving a 10-15% tip, but if it was bad then I'll leave $1 or $2 and keep it moving...

Originally Posted by SharpiePoint

Originally Posted by UnbornSeed

Clubs do that non-sense now to. I ordered a round and got slapped with a 18% gratuity? I left no extra tip and drew a penis climaxing as my sig and eventually got kicked out for it. I dont think its racial but TIPs should be EARNED not EXPECTED.
laugh.gif
  You make a good point about earning your tips, but honestly do you think most servers love or even enjoy their job?  Safe to say no.
Therefore, they know they can slack off and give you awful service and still get a tip.  Regardless, tips are expected in American society and culture, it's just a matter of what you would like to tip for their service, either 15% for poor or 20-25% for excellent service.  
And that is what OP is saying. People expect to get tipped. They feel entitled, even though they might not have earned it. Why is someone viewed as a bad person if their service was piss-poor and they didn't tip? I don't understand that approach at all. I thought it was supposed to be something EARNED.

As OP said, people tip a lot of times just so they won't be "that person."

I feel many people forget this.  I understand that some waiters/waitresses can have bad days or be too busy that they may not get to you immediately, but at least be polite and act like your parents raised you right.  I'll be damned if someone isn't going to refill my drinks or leave me waiting to order, and expect me to leave even a 15% tip.  I have never worked as a waiter or busboy, but my friend has and he's a way more harsh tipper than I am.  People need to learn to deal with their emotions at the correct time and place, don't bring that *+%+ to me when I'm trying to sit down and have a nice meal with family/friends.  At the end of the day, if the service was alright then I'll consider leaving a 10-15% tip, but if it was bad then I'll leave $1 or $2 and keep it moving...

only read the first page, and i'm sure it's been discussed at some point, but i think it's funny op applied to bww and doesn't tip. hope you don't get tipped either.

only read the first page, and i'm sure it's been discussed at some point, but i think it's funny op applied to bww and doesn't tip. hope you don't get tipped either.

Pretty sure a lot of "justified" racial stereotyping is going on most of these 19 pages.

actually there isn't just a bunch of sad, cheap, misinformed guys defending not tipping.

Pretty sure a lot of "justified" racial stereotyping is going on most of these 19 pages.

actually there isn't just a bunch of sad, cheap, misinformed guys defending not tipping.

Originally Posted by datprepboivinc3

F*** You OP, Cheap Bastard
laugh.gif

Na thats grimey dude, Im a server and we dont make anything hourly so we live off of tips. Now putting Grat. on a party of two is OD, but you should take into consideration
the things that are going on in the environment and then make a judgement to tip or not.

You say you guys live off of tips, so basically you work on commission. when you work on commission, you have to put in work. i just get tired of tipping becoming a HAVE TO type of thing. if a server is good and gets my order right, brings refills in a timely manner, and has a good attitude, i have no problem dropping a tip, and a good one at that, but this tipping thing becoming a standard is just obsurd.

for example, the pizza guy gave me a piece of his mind for not tipping him. but he didn't do anything. papa  johns is 5 mins from my house. this guy drove 5 mins and walked a pizza 20 feet to my door. that doesn't deserve a tip. i already had to pay the $2.50 delivery charge, so i've already paid for him to walk my pizza to the door. his argument was that he makes minimum wage to deliver pizzas, but that's not my fault. maybe he should've had more ambition in life and he wouldn't be a 40 year old pizza guy. that's not my problem.

now in an eatery, that's different. you deal with multiple tables and have to be on your game. like i said before fill my drink and get my order right and there won't be a tip problem out of me.

Back
Top Bottom