If Kanye's next album is a classic, is he the GOAT?

YO!
StaXX wrote:
Deuce King wrote:
AirAnt23 wrote:
YO!
Deuce King wrote:
saying that Kanye has 4 classics let alone 4 great albums

So wait... pham, you're saying he doesn't have four great albums?

I know how I personally feel about his records. And it must be highlighted that 808 is NOT a "rap" album.

DF!!!

Frat, I think we are using the word "great" a little too loosely here.  That's not to say Kanye albums are garbage, but that doesn't make Kanye's ALBUMS great by any stretch of the imagination.  College Dropout was great, for various reasons.  It was well needed at the time as far as hip hop goes because as an album it chartered a new direction for hip hop songs and albums at the time.  Late Registration was okay, maybe sligthly above average on it's best day and the rest of his albums were average at best.  So again, there is a difference between great and garbage, sometimes there is something that is in between that which is were Kanye's albums fall into. 

Stopped reading there. LR was okay?
laugh.gif

Pretty much. You lost me there family.

Seriously. Late Registration is his best music. Sonically and lyrically.

I think there's a disconnect within this thread where some are reading "GOAT" and are immediately conjuring thoughts of greatest lyricists. I believe the intended sentiment of the original post is that as a "rap musician", Kanye West is on track to be among the best ever. And I can't disagree with that. Personal opinions not withstanding; he IS the biggest act in music right now. It can't be denied. He has been, more or less, for the last 3 years. It could be argued that Lady Gaga has eclipsed him but that has only happened in his absence. Hip hop culture has never needed saving; nor has rap music. However there is no one person who has had a greater influence on rap music in the last 10 years. And aside from Rakim, I can't think of any other singular entity who has had such a rippling in the rap music landscape. And that includes the aftermath of Illmatic and Enter the 36 Chambers.

I'm AirAnt23, I approve this message.

DF!!!

Originally Posted by DC SOUNDS

Kanye makes Jay Z and Nas look lazy. His body of work is unmatched when it comes to passion and heart.. I always reference the Glow in the Dark Tour as an example, compare that to any other hip hop show, the dedication can't be matched.

Poppycock. Balderdash. Hogwash. Bollocks.

DMX's passion and heart >>>>>>> Kanye's any day of the year, twice on Sundays when he on a crack high.

Deuce buggin with his opinion on LR  being "okay" and the other dude that named the "songs that sucked" on LR is clinically insane. I'd give you Celebration and Brings Me down and they didn't really suck. Madness to whoever said ad whoever agrees with CD being equal to RD. I can't even put in to words the degree of wrongnesss and not being rightness the claim contains.

Originally Posted by The Notorious Bum

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

Originally Posted by inspektahdeck

Originally Posted by KingRamey

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

KingRamey wrote:

ScottHallWithAPick wrote:

KingRamey wrote:

inspektahdeck wrote:

KingRamey wrote:

Ace Rawstein wrote:

this thread is so off topic
bunch of guys arguing over what Kanye is not, but not sayin who is

the guy asked about "HIP HOP ARTIST" as in overall, and im seeing arguments involving RZA n NaS
what a joke, at least bring ppl to the table that are not just holding down one part.

This.

this thread turned into a bunch of salty old guys (from the sound of it) mad that it isnt just "old school new york" hip hop in the game anymore. They hate to see different people with different styles of music get shine (and outshine) your favorites. Its kinda sad really
son u dont even listen to hiphop though
support your claim

If 808s & MOTM are the only albums you can play w/o skipping you don't listen to hip hop. (And I LOVE those albums)

or maybe those two ablums really appeal to me? and that mean i dont listen to hip hop??? idk i guess im just stupid to think that other people have different music preferences 
tired.gif

It's not about preference my dude. It's like saying I only like watching Michael Vick play football. Other than it's whatever. I can't call you a football fan. So if you say you only think Hip-Hop has produced 2 albums that can be played front to back and these albums are alternative ones at that you don't listen to hip-hop. It's not even a diss. A lot of people don't listen to hip hop. It just means your opinion on this topic is not valid. I don't ask my punk rock friends what's better illmatic or Ready to die? because that's not their lane so whatever their answer is holds no weight.

Thats where you're wrong. Nowhere in this thread have i said that. Youre mixing a lot of my statements and statements from the clowns in this thread up. And to say my opinion isnt valid is because you twisted my words is another stupid thing to say 
ohwell.gif

Na fam you're just a clown

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

im not hating on raekwon... IN MY OPINION KID CUDI HAD THE BEST ALBUM OF
ANYTHING RAP RELATED SINCE 2009 STARTED...
your opinion is garbage, man on da moon isn't even a rap album....cuz if it was its not touchin...

and thats FACTS, not opinion.

Ninjahood have you noticed you keep posting and people stay ignoring you?
Its for a reason because your opinions are useless
Go back to your tiny room to play with you musket
go play in traffic dweeb.

grin.gif

as far as kanye is concerned, i like duke, but classic material? naw....he's just dope, ya throw that classic word out too loosely these days.

as far as kanye is concerned, i like duke, but classic material? naw....he's just dope, ya throw that classic word out too loosely these days.
i absolutely agree, but funny enough one of the few rappers that i actually feel released truly classic material this past decade is Kanye West.

Originally Posted by Remi23

^
Nas>Kanye
Jay>Kanye

/Thread

naw hommie. Nas > Kanye. How so? Because NY cats still can't get past illmatic- which is overrated to begin with.

Nas didn't even outshine Damien Marley on the new CD.

Just look at the few songs J did with Ye.

Diamonds Remix  Ye>

Girls Girls Girls Remix- Ye

Never let me down Ye>

Run this Town Jay>

...IMO it isn't a stretch. Not to mention the fact that Ye's production >>>>>>>> anybody not named Pharrell

Originally Posted by kix4kix

^
Nas>Kanye
Jay>Kanye

/Thread

naw hommie. Nas > Kanye. How so? Because NY cats still can't get past illmatic- which is overrated to begin with.
laugh.gif

if kanye west was asked whats better IN FRONT OF CAMERAS, his work or illmatic i'd wager anything in my possession  that he would know his role and say illmatic.

stop being a ye stan.

^
Nas>Kanye
Jay>Kanye

/Thread

laugh.gif

if kanye west was asked whats better IN FRONT OF CAMERAS, his work or illmatic i'd wager anything in my possession  that he would know his role and say illmatic.

stop being a ye stan.
of course he'd say that because its the "right" thing because Ye is a hip hop artist and i think everyone (other hip hop artists) feels that they have pay homage to Biggie, Pac, Jay, Nas etc to do but if you ask anyone else and they gave you their honest opinion they might not say the same thing. Not everyone likes nas (or anyone else i named for that matter) or views illmatic as classic 

^
Nas>Kanye
Jay>Kanye

/Thread

laugh.gif

stop being a ye stan.
of course he'd say that because its the "right" thing because Ye is a hip hop artist and i think everyone feels that they have pay homage to Biggie, Pac, Jay, Nas etc to do but if you ask anyone else and they gave you their honest opinion they might not say the same thing. Not everyone like nas or views illmatic as classic (or anyone else i named for that matter)
who are these idiots? cuz if they call themselves hiphop fans and enthusiast then they wouldn't be discrediting ANY of da aforementioned artist, i don't care WHAT coast you're from.

so i ask you, if kanye west, a multimillionaire rapper/ producer feels he has to pay homage to da greats and classics before him then why a snot nosed young punk's

opinion on what HE feels is a classic should be any different? and kanye is da PROFESSIONAL here.

^
Nas>Kanye
Jay>Kanye

/Thread

laugh.gif

stop being a ye stan.
of course he'd say that because its the "right" thing because Ye is a hip hop artist and i think everyone feels that they have pay homage to Biggie, Pac, Jay, Nas etc to do but if you ask anyone else and they gave you their honest opinion they might not say the same thing. Not everyone like nas or views illmatic as classic (or anyone else i named for that matter)
who are these idiots? cuz if they call themselves hiphop fans and enthusiast then they wouldn't be discrediting ANY of da aforementioned artist, i don't care WHAT coast you're from.

so i ask you, if kanye west, a multimillionaire rapper/ producer feels he has to pay homage to da greats and classics before him then why a snot nosed young punk's

opinion on what HE feels is a classic should be any different?
and kanye is da PROFESSIONAL here.

so what youre saying is in order to be a hiphop fan you have to love Jay, Nas, Biggie or Pac, or you are not a fan?

and im not really understanding this bolded part can you reword it so it makes sense

^
Nas>Kanye
Jay>Kanye

/Thread

laugh.gif

stop being a ye stan.

so what youre saying is in order to be a hiphop fan you have to love Jay, Nas, Biggie or Pac, or you are not a fan?
i never wanna use absolutes, but yeah, i mean how can you follow a art form and NOT subscribe to da fact that these folks have undeniable classics that yes

i DO question your hiphop knowledge if you arent a fan of those artist....its like talkin bout Art and and not paying homage to da 16th chapel or da mona lisa, cuz you always trying

to push da agenda that somehow the "crack is wack" mural being a classic holds da same weight as "da last supper" being a classic.

You think they argue this in other musical genre's ??? "oh the beatles compared volks wagon rims to acid trips" .....NO rap aint just about lyrics and neither is anything music related .ya'll want lyrics go listen to some poetry. his production,topics,execution,range and dedication is unparalleled and unmatched.dude is a musical GENIUS

^
Nas>Kanye
Jay>Kanye

/Thread

laugh.gif

stop being a ye stan.

i never wanna use absolutes, but yeah, i mean how can you follow a art form and NOT subscribe to da fact that these folks have undeniable classics that yes

i DO question your hiphop knowledge if you arent a fan of those artist....its like talkin bout Art and and not paying homage to da 16th chapel or da mona lisa, cuz you always trying

to push da agenda that somehow the "crack is wack" mural being a classic holds da same weight as "da last supper" being a classic.
ok i understand the paying homage part. yeah give respect where its due but do you think you have to actually like them. if that makes sense.
and for the record i love Jay and Big

hes def the goat unless souljaboy detroys another beat or kurupt adlibs another track like they did

Nah....that 808's lowered his profile to alot of folks, this next rap album BETTA be good.

Nah....that 808's lowered his profile to alot of folks, this next rap album BETTA be good.

808s was better than graduation tho...

stop lettin other people's opinions dictate how u view %+%$...

^why are yall so sure about that?

u could ask him who's the better rapper... he'd prolly say nas

ask him who makes better music and he would say himself...

this is still kanye west (a walking ego) we're talkin about here...

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

808s was better than graduation tho...
No sir.

1.Late Registration
2.Graduation
3.808s & Heartbreak
4.College Dropout

I'm a HUGE fan of 808s btw.
Spoiler [+]
Yeah, I put 808s over CD so what!!

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

u think college dropout is his worst cd? #kanyeshrug
Yeah. I was put on by Late Registration.
College Dropout had a few dope songs but I didn't like the album overall.

Back
Top Bottom