If Kanye's next album is a classic, is he the GOAT?

cats be sayin i got 3 nice beats like i run to nt and post all my #@*%... please...

and i never said em cant ride a beat... i said he doesnt since his return...

too many lames on nt...

It's okay TIME, I prefer Ye over RZA too.

We can be incompetent together.
laugh.gif

Dingle you knew you weren't gonna get a legit conversation about this topic.
laugh.gif

But yes, if he drops another classic, he'll be in the same category as Biggie, Jigga, Nas, *Rakim, 2Pac, ect.

Like it or not Kanye West changed the entire dynamic of Hip-Hop. He changed how people perceived the genre. Yall can argue about RZA all day, but RZA could never make a "Flashing Lights" or a "We Major" but Yeezy has made the likes of "Nothin Like It" "Heartless" (which is RZA-esq) and "Real People." And that's just talkin about dude's production, we ain't even gonna get into him emceeing skills, musically innovation, and influence on pop culture.

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
@ yall for not given this man due on his greatness. He KEEPS killin it. If he ends up putting out 12 albums like the boy Jigga, he might go down as the best ever but for right now, he's definitely on the short list (see above).

Ye HAS to be in the conversation. No one has done what he's done, and he's nowhere near finished.

Kanye West
College Dropout - Masterpiece.
Late Registration - Classic.
Graduation - Classic.
808s & Heartbreak - Masterpiece.

Nas
Illmatic
It Was Written
I AM
Nastradamus (OOoops)

Biggie
Ready to Die
Life After Death

(only 2)

Reasonable Doubt
IML Vol. I (I Know What Girls Like, Sunshine)
IML Vol. II
IML Vol. III (Naaaaaah - Not a "Classic")

'Kast is as close as it gets (and them N's don't count b/c it's two of them)

Outkast
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik - Classic.
ATLiens - Classic.
Aquimini - Masterpiece.
Stankonia - Classic.

Obviously Jigga is the best to ever do it (Get ya CDs out, we'll go song for song, I'm the illest N' doin it till ya prove me wrong.) But if Ye keeps droppin these gems (like PE - no pun intended) then in 10 years or so, we'll have a legitimate argument.

*I'm too young but see how he killed the game but they say Rakim was the 1st that really changed the game.

Too Many Kanye Stans on this Board I'm Out the comments in this thread is Ridiculous

Ghostface is 4/5 for his first 5 albums... Bulletproof Wallets & Fishscale are certified bangers.
with that being said, Ghost Deini > Kanye

deepinthajeep wrote:

Outkast
ATLiens - Classic.
Aquimini - Masterpiece.
Stankonia - Classic.

I'll take Kast first four. I cant believe its almost been 10 years since we got a true Outkast album.

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

laugh.gif

But yes, if he drops another classic, he'll be in the same category as Biggie, Jigga, Nas, *Rakim, 2Pac, ect.

Like it or not Kanye West changed the entire dynamic of Hip-Hop. He changed how people perceived the genre. Yall can argue about RZA all day, but RZA could never make a "Flashing Lights" or a "We Major" but Yeezy has made the likes of "Nothin Like It" "Heartless" (which is RZA-esq) and "Real People." And that's just talkin about dude's production, we ain't even gonna get into him emceeing skills, musically innovation, and influence on pop culture.

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
@ yall for not given this man due on his greatness. He KEEPS killin it. If he ends up putting out 12 albums like the boy Jigga, he might go down as the best ever but for right now, he's definitely on the short list (see above).

Ye HAS to be in the conversation. No one has done what he's done, and he's nowhere near finished.

Kanye West
Graduation - Classic.

Nas
Illmatic
It Was Written
I AM
Nastradamus (OOoops)

Biggie
Ready to Die
Life After Death

(only 2)

Reasonable Doubt
IML Vol. II

Outkast
ATLiens - Classic.
Aquimini - Masterpiece.
Stankonia - Classic.

Obviously Jigga is the best to ever do it (Get ya CDs out, we'll go song for song, I'm the illest N' doin it till ya prove me wrong.) But if Ye keeps droppin these gems (like PE - no pun intended) then in 10 years or so, we'll have a legitimate argument.

*I'm too young but see how he killed the game but they say Rakim was the 1st that really changed the game.

Ahhh... yes. One of NT's bright minds.

Props on factual truth
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

laugh.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Kanye West
Graduation - Classic.

Nas
Illmatic
It Was Written
I AM
Nastradamus (OOoops)

Biggie
Ready to Die
Life After Death

(only 2)

Reasonable Doubt
IML Vol. II

Outkast
ATLiens - Classic.
Aquimini - Masterpiece.
Stankonia - Classic.

Ahhh... yes. One of NT's bright minds.

Props on factual truth
smokin.gif
While I agree with 80% of what he's saying. None of that is really "factual".

laugh.gif

If Kanye's next album is a classic it'll be his first.

He's never had a chance to be the GOAT hip hop artist.

There has been plenty of "classic" hip hop before Kanye and there will be plenty after. Kanye is a good artist no doubt but to say greatest of all time and his first four albums are classic, not even close. What never gets talked about is what makes Kanye albums so likable in the first place and that's because there is one singular sound on each album because it's one producer handling all the production. That's what makes a nice cohesive album and something that's enjoyable to listen to. As much as I HATE 808's, the one thing it does have going for it is unified production and I can understand why someone would really get into that album. Back in the day all Hip-Hop albums only had one producer and that's why so much of Hip-Hop's early years was so amazing and still so much fun to listen to because it was consistent. Look at all of Public Enemy's first albums, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, EPMD, Eric B. & Rakim, Gangstarr, N.W.A., Ice Cube, KRS-ONE, Big Daddy Kane, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. All those early albums had one producer or one team of producers throughout the whole album so you always got a nice consistent sound that kept you entertained. Nowadays you have all these garbage albums with no name producers or a collage of whoever's hot right now making beats or whatever and it's really hit and miss. It's like listening to an album that has one or two Primo tracks on it. Once you get to those songs they stand out head and shoulders above the rest of the songs and it makes the rest of the album passable. But now if you had an entire album of Primo beats you'd ride the whole time. Point being Group Home. Two of the most mediocre MCs of all time with one of the hardest albums ever becasuse Primo killed it for them on every track. And that brings me back to my point about Kanye. For all these younger listeners who are used to having these really badly produced albums where only a handful of tracks are really good, a Kanye album is incredible because he's handling the whole sound and making it consistent with the vision he has in his head. So that is why I can see his appeal being so high these days in the Hip Hop world because he's doing what used to be common place in Hip Hop. But as far as him being the greatest of all time, he'd have to a whole lot for that to ever happen. He'll definitely be an artist who changed the game and brought more people over to the world of Hip Hop but he will never be the greatest.

Originally Posted by viiheaven

and yes, NaS is the greatest of all-time.

I like Nas as much as the next guy.  I have every one of his albums.  Been down with him since day 1.  But the bottom line is, the greatest of all time should NOT be someone who is notorious for forgetting his lyrics in concert.  After seeing Nas live 3 times, and it happening EVERY time, I refuse to even mention his name when it comes to the all time greats.  I'm sorry.
*Waits for hate*

Late Registration was his only classic album. CD and Graduation were decent albums but not great. 808's was absolute trash and one of the most overrated albums Ive ever heard. It was directly marketed towards those with high estrogen levels

Back
Top Bottom