If the general agreement is that JB is intentionally gimping the quality...

you dudes just dont get it>D

dudes are making BASKETBALL shoes for BASKETBALL with NEW and better TECHNOLOGY-----they dont care about the quality of REPLICAS that USED to have the newest technology

you dudes just dont get it>D

dudes are making BASKETBALL shoes for BASKETBALL with NEW and better TECHNOLOGY-----they dont care about the quality of REPLICAS that USED to have the newest technology

WHAT?? WHAT?? WHAT?? WHAT??

This will probably go ignored, but hey...

...Nike still makes the shoes, and Nike really does not dig that people would rather wear the retro Jordan's, over their newer lines like that of LeBron and Kobe.
Jordan has too much power, then could sink the ship of Nike if he ever loses the popularity that he has. So what does Nike do? Well, suddenly the quality of Jordan product begins to diminish, possibly to sabotage the demand of retro's, as Nike knows that QUALITY should be in demand from all consumers, yet they also fail in their newer lines in regard to quality construction as well. With Nike going almost all plastic in their main sig lines, I don't blame anyone who'd rather play in a pair of Retro XII's, over playing in a pair of Kobe's.

AKA man, I've sided with you on a bunch of issues but I can't on this one. To say that Nike is intentionally gimping JB is borderline asinine. Nike started messing with pleather (plastic leather) on their Cortez and AF1 back in '03 while JB started running that crap on select retros starting in '04 well before the JB craze that exists now. My 2004 Olympic VIIs are entirely pleather while my '05 Xs have pleather on the sides. From '04 to '07' they've been running pleather on select retros - mainly OG colourways and from '08 they've been running it on their entire line up. Even the 'leather' they run now is some sort of vinyl or leatherette - not real full grain.

You give way too much credit to MJ and Jordan brand my man.

AKA man, I've sided with you on a bunch of issues but I can't on this one. To say that Nike is intentionally gimping JB is borderline asinine. Nike started messing with pleather (plastic leather) on their Cortez and AF1 back in '03 while JB started running that crap on select retros starting in '04 well before the JB craze that exists now. My 2004 Olympic VIIs are entirely pleather while my '05 Xs have pleather on the sides. From '04 to '07' they've been running pleather on select retros - mainly OG colourways and from '08 they've been running it on their entire line up. Even the 'leather' they run now is some sort of vinyl or leatherette - not real full grain.
You give way too much credit to MJ and Jordan brand my man.
Do you know business?

You don't think that Nike's future is at stake, especially since they no longer are the sole owners of Jordan Brand and the retro's they produce?

Let's take a good look at this, is there truly a high demand for their newer product?

As a company, how do they get people to realize that their newer shoes, are actually better than the older ones, when nobody is buying it? 

Jordan Brand can only do to us what we let them do.  This has been a slow process as over the years we've seen quality diminish, not overnight.  The economy has been tough on everyone, including nike based on their 4th quarter results, which came in lower than projected.  Nike knows this shoe bubble isnt going to last forever, so what better way to maximize profit than by auctioning off the contract to make retros to the lowest bidder factory, not caring what they produce,  then dropping a whole bunch of heat in one year.  Back in the late 80s and 90's you had only one maximum 2 jordan series drop a year, with the colorways in it.  That may equate to a release every two months depending on which series shoe it was.  Now you have at least 2 retros dropping a month!!!!!  Here's the kicker 125 in 1990 is a lot more than 125 in 2012.... and quality wont return because low quality is selling out on release day.  Is JB doing this on purpose.... YES of course they are!!!! Unlike technology which is always evolving and focused in bringing us the newest, fastest, and best quality with everyone competing for market share....Who can compete with JB when it comes to shoes?  You could walk into PAYLESS SHOES and buy a pair of shoes for 19.99 thats made from better quality materials than most retros... But how many of us would be caught dead in some xj-900's or pro-wings (og's know what im talking about) We are paying for the name... the design.... the brand... the hype.... and whatever satisfaction that comes with wearing a shoe not everyone can afford.  R.I.P quality materials, we'll always love you an miss you!!!
frown.gif

Jordan Brand can only do to us what we let them do.  This has been a slow process as over the years we've seen quality diminish, not overnight.  The economy has been tough on everyone, including nike based on their 4th quarter results, which came in lower than projected.  Nike knows this shoe bubble isnt going to last forever, so what better way to maximize profit than by auctioning off the contract to make retros to the lowest bidder factory, not caring what they produce,  then dropping a whole bunch of heat in one year.   Back in the late 80s and 90's you had only one maximum 2 jordan series drop a year, with the colorways in it.  That may equate to a release every two months depending on which series shoe it was.  Now you have at least 2 retros dropping a month!!!!!  Here's the kicker 125 in 1990 is a lot more than 125 in 2012.... and quality wont return because low quality is selling out on release day.  Is JB doing this on purpose.... YES of course they are!!!! Unlike technology which is always evolving and focused in bringing us the newest, fastest, and best quality with everyone competing for market share....Who can compete with JB when it comes to shoes?  You could walk into PAYLESS SHOES and buy a pair of shoes for 19.99 thats made from better quality materials than most retros... But how many of us would be caught dead in some xj-900's or pro-wings (og's know what im talking about) We are paying for the name... the design.... the brand... the hype.... and whatever satisfaction that comes with wearing a shoe not everyone can afford.  R.I.P quality materials, we'll always love you an miss you!!!
frown.gif
This right here is KEY, and many do not understand it. They claim that  I am lying or crazy, or simply making things up, but this comment nails it.

Jordan Brand does not make these shoes, NIKE INC does. So if there is anyone to blame, it is NIKE not Jordan brand.

Do you want to hurt Nike?

Do not buy any of their newer products, which is exactly what's been happening.

Just for those in the know, anytime that Noble Kane starts screaming in my direction, just know that he is actually co_signing what it is that I am saying. He works for Nike, and he is worried that the truth is coming to light.

Last edited:
Jordan Brand can only do to us what we let them do.  This has been a slow process as over the years we've seen quality diminish, not overnight.  The economy has been tough on everyone, including nike based on their 4th quarter results, which came in lower than projected.  Nike knows this shoe bubble isnt going to last forever, so what better way to maximize profit than by auctioning off the contract to make retros to the lowest bidder factory, not caring what they produce,  then dropping a whole bunch of heat in one year.  Back in the late 80s and 90's you had only one maximum 2 jordan series drop a year, with the colorways in it.  That may equate to a release every two months depending on which series shoe it was.  Now you have at least 2 retros dropping a month!!!!!  Here's the kicker 125 in 1990 is a lot more than 125 in 2012.... and quality wont return because low quality is selling out on release day.  Is JB doing this on purpose.... YES of course they are!!!! Unlike technology which is always evolving and focused in bringing us the newest, fastest, and best quality with everyone competing for market share....Who can compete with JB when it comes to shoes?  You could walk into PAYLESS SHOES and buy a pair of shoes for 19.99 thats made from better quality materials than most retros... But how many of us would be caught dead in some xj-900's or pro-wings (og's know what im talking about) We are paying for the name... the design.... the brand... the hype.... and whatever satisfaction that comes with wearing a shoe not everyone can afford.  R.I.P quality materials, we'll always love you an miss you!!!
frown.gif
You're speaking way over some peoples heads bruh.

Sneakerheads are like abused girlfriends in a perverse way sometimes. The woman will complain to her friends and family about him, cry about him, and threaten to leave him. All he needs to do is bring a home a flower from 7/11 and she's back on her knees sucking him dry. Sneaker heads that complain about jb but yet buy every release are no different. They'll complain and cry in the forums, yet they're the 1st ones in line come release date.

Yeah...pretty much lol

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
OH **** long dress kilt .....he swaggin while we hatin. :nthat:
EDIT: The look on dude face...:lol:

Bra think he doin it big :lol:

But back to the OP. If you're not happy with the quality now a days, don't buy. Simple as that. When I noticed they started upping prices and lowering quality, that's when I got out the shoe game, at least for Jordan's. I understand from a business perspective for the JB that's a smart thing to do, they get to save money on materials, while getting to up the price of their product purely off the hype surrounding the shoes that grow and grows and reaches new people with each generation. It's a win/win for the Brand, lose/lose for the consumer, that is unless you really don't care then by all means do what you do. I do understand the frustration though when it comes to selling older J's, and you got some new head coming at you with a low ball price because he can go buy the newest retro of that shoe and believe it will be exactly the same. It's like nah man, do your research.

Oh well, to each his own though. Even if I don't buy anymore, I'll always love the brand. Can't legitimately hate on something that was once so great and such a huge part of my childhood.

Last edited:
Jordan makes ****** quality because they can do it and still for the most part sellout.  They're not gonna stop because we complain.  If their product is still flying off the shelves @ whatever level of quality they're dishing out then why change it.  A lot of the older heads have sick collections to cross reference the quality or compare it to.  Newer heads dont usually have OG's from the 90's lying around and wont spend that much to get a pair of semi wearable kicks so you get what is available.   JB doesn't care like that anymore if they ever did. If you don't want them, there's 4 other people willing to take your spot in line.  Whether to resell or keep what would JB care they still moved another unit. 

Jordan Brand can only do to us what we let them do.  This has been a slow process as over the years we've seen quality diminish, not overnight.  The economy has been tough on everyone, including nike based on their 4th quarter results, which came in lower than projected.  Nike knows this shoe bubble isnt going to last forever, so what better way to maximize profit than by auctioning off the contract to make retros to the lowest bidder factory, not caring what they produce,  then dropping a whole bunch of heat in one year.  Back in the late 80s and 90's you had only one maximum 2 jordan series drop a year, with the colorways in it.  That may equate to a release every two months depending on which series shoe it was.  Now you have at least 2 retros dropping a month!!!!!  Here's the kicker 125 in 1990 is a lot more than 125 in 2012.... and quality wont return because low quality is selling out on release day.  Is JB doing this on purpose.... YES of course they are!!!! Unlike technology which is always evolving and focused in bringing us the newest, fastest, and best quality with everyone competing for market share....Who can compete with JB when it comes to shoes?  You could walk into PAYLESS SHOES and buy a pair of shoes for 19.99 thats made from better quality materials than most retros... But how many of us would be caught dead in some xj-900's or pro-wings (og's know what im talking about) We are paying for the name... the design.... the brand... the hype.... and whatever satisfaction that comes with wearing a shoe not everyone can afford.  R.I.P quality materials, we'll always love you an miss you!!!:frown:

Good post BigMike and what was the last JB retro product you purchased?

Do you know business?

You don't think that Nike's future is at stake, especially since they no longer are the sole owners of Jordan Brand and the retro's they produce?

Let's take a good look at this, is there truly a high demand for their newer product?

As a company, how do they get people to realize that their newer shoes, are actually better than the older ones, when nobody is buying it? 

AKA man, I'm old enough to understand the fundamentals of business and supply vs. demand. I honestly don't know where you heard about Nike not owning their Jordan signature line up too - last I checked Tinker Hatfield and Wilson Smith are Nike employees. The 'Jordan' and 'Jumpman' branding might belong to MJ but everything else is most likely Nike's property.

I agree that NSW and JB retro product are both lacking in quality but JB sig product has always been top notch - how does this play into your theory that Nike are sabotaging them?

AKA man, I'm old enough to understand the fundamentals of business and supply vs. demand. I honestly don't know where you heard about Nike not owning their Jordan signature line up too - last I checked Tinker Hatfield and Wilson Smith are Nike employees. The 'Jordan' and 'Jumpman' branding might belong to MJ but everything else is most likely Nike's property.
I agree that NSW and JB retro product are both lacking in quality but JB sig product has always been top notch - how does this play into your theory that Nike are sabotaging them?
Did you happen to see Phil Knight's HOF speech?

If you haven't, you may want to check out what he said about Jordan owning the brand.

BTW, me asking you if you knew business, wasn't intended as an insult. It was simply suggesting that perhaps, you may want to look a bit deeper at the motivation. I am sure that you've heard of the business owner setting fire to his own place of operation, in order to cut potential losses.

Last edited:
Knowledge is the key to everything.  Why did Jordan Brand bring back their old President?  Jordan Brand has to catch each generation when they are young or hopes of catching that generation in the future are gone.  If I had not become a sneakerhead in my youth... there is no way I'd care for shoes today.  Almost every retro release there are multiple posts with people complaining about quality and how they are moving away from buying Jordans.... Mind you nike knows this but in the end do they want to lose you as a customer... NO!!!  They know if you stop buying for yourself, you'll stop buying for your kids because you dont want to have to re-buy shoes when your kids beat them to sleep in a couple of months due to low quality. These kids will grow up with a careless attitude when it comes to what shoes they wear....which in turn equals one less nike consumer.  How any of you remember the first pair of Jordan's your parents bought you... thats right YOUR PARENTS.. who inspired you that once you got older you could buy your own Jordans.  You best believe NIKE is reading posts and taking notes... but at the same time they are going to milk the cow until its dead.  Nike wants you as a lifetime customer... and they are faced with the challenge of capitalizing on a market that won't be booming forever and they have made it clear they will sacrifice quality and og shoeheads in hopes of making as much as they can this is just the calm before the storm....

By the way my last purchase was the charcoal 7's shoe buying is a passion/addiction.... I actually buy all og colorways and limited releases (ones I can get my hands on) as there are so many memories tied to them especially since my family was not fortunate enough to where my dad could spend 125.00 on some shoes.... at 11 years old i started my own yard business and kept it till I graduated highschool.  I may have looked funny pushing a lawnmower on friday evenings and sat mornings and afternoons but ... come jordan day I always had em.... paid for with my own hard earned money. I first dunked a basketball in 8th grade and I was only 5'-7" tall... (i'm 6'-2" now) and my first dunk in a game i was in 8th grade wearing the playoff 8's.  Yeah I worked hard but you couldnt tell me then that J's didnt make you fly... I was a believer... I was living proof... I honestly know the quality is lacking... and Jordan's are some of the worse shoes to ball in...but growing up having og's you had nothing to compare the quality too.. you were just so mesmorized when you got a glimpse of the next coming Jordan... u just wanted them on your feet.. period.

In the end some collectors such as myself have a deep emotional connection tied to Jordan's to me they weren't just shoes the were a piece of my life.  I'll lace up my J's now and go play ball in the front yard with my 12 year old son and so often feel the need to fade away on a jumpshot or stick my tongue out driving to the hole.  Wearing some Kobes he just doesn't get it... but I don't knock him or any of the other kids wanting to sport retros.  You're wearing a piece of History in my opinion... a shoe tied to the best basketball player we may probaly ever see in this lifetime...Im in my early 30's but still see myself rocking J's another 30 years from now... we always look for something thats a positive connect to the good times in the past... for me... it's gotta be the shoes!!!!

Last edited:
if you dont play basketball youre in no position to question the quality of a basketball shoe------i have a pair of jordan 2012s and i have no complaints

i honestly believe that jordan is aiming for the younger audience. we already got most of the pairs we wanted and know there aiming at the younger generation because they dont know better. lol some little kid said that my french blue 7s were fake cause of the shape and that i wasnt similar to his dmp 7s.

Jordan RETROS are made for fashion statements, I feel that only the OGs were made for ballin. The other models aside from the retros have better quality.

Just for those in the know, anytime that Noble Kane starts screaming in my direction, just know that he is actually co_signing what it is that I am saying. He works for Nike, and he is worried that the truth is coming to light.

:lol: what in thee blue hell? more lies? so my name is chris. i work for nike. and rockdeep hates me. this guy has lost his damn mind :lol:

nike truly has you by the balls my friend. they got you going delusional. :lol:

thanks for the laugh though lol

Because bragging about "how things used to be" is the cool thing to do. I didn't read every comment so don't know if it was stated; But, It's the whole "Back in my day" concept. In our society, the longer you've been doing something or have experience makes you the cool guy. So by complaining about quality, it makes them seem like they've been around a while, giving them the attention they want.

Trust me, being in the military I have to hear about how stuff used to be on a daily basis. The longer someone's been in or been doing something, the more they're that cool guy. Some people just walk around talking about nothing but how things used to be and how bad things are now. It's the same exact thing and I see a lot of it in this community.

Back
Top Bottom