If you don't have a top 10 QB, give up

imo there are only 3 qb's that i can really call elite, Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

Eli almost there.

Originally Posted by krazy88s

Ben can't win, even in year Peyton didn't play at all.

I'm tired of the "Pitt defense" thing against Ben. The Steelers have had good defense since the 70s. Is it his fault his organization drafts well every year?
---
To say he's not top 5 is ok, but not top 10 is absurd.

The years they won the Superbowl they had absolutely ridiculous defenses. If you're going to compare him against other qb's you have to take that into account.
And didn't they have crazy record when he threw the ball twenty times or less? And isn't the owner currently making somthing of them swtching back to their old shool style. That's kind of telling, no?
---
I agree

IMO there are 4 elite QBs: Brady, Rodgers, Peyton and Brees

The next level of QBs is where you will find Eli and Roethlisberger. That is not a slight to either of them. I just think there is currently a significant enough difference between these guys and the guys I listed as elite, to consider them on the same level. Eli can jump into that group one day, but right now he simply is not there.

And Alex Smith is not sniffing the top 10. Stop it chokeonsmoke.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Originally Posted by TheGift23

The Washington ******** won their 4th Super Bowl in team history last night thanks to Quarterback Robert Griffin's 4 TD passes and 432 yards...

Can't wait...
pimp.gif
waitinga.png

eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I think its always been crucial to have a top 10 quarterback to win a championship

I think only Trent Dilfer and Dug Williams were the only SB winning QBs in recent memory who were nowhere near being a top 10 quarterback. Even though Brad Johnson was far from being an elite QB, he was a borderline top 10 quarterback, in fact he posted the 3rd highest QB rating in the NFL during the Buccaners Super Bowl wining season.

Even Mark Rypien had the NFLs 2nd highest rating QB during the 1991 SB winning season. I guess you could throw Jeff Hostetler in there too as a non top 10 but he wasnt the starter for most of the season, an elite QB Phil Simms was.

To everyone saying Eli isn't elite... if he wins the superbowl again this year, does he become elite in your eyes?

In fact, to take it a step further, is he then one of the best QBs ever? He's probably a hall of famer if he does get a 2nd one. Then what? A hall of famer who isn't elite?

Hmmm.

If your answer is no, he isn't elite, then what makes a QB elite?

Alex Smith was a couple fumbled punts away from probably being in the Super Bowl. You do not need a top 10 QB to make it to the Super Bowl.

Nako XL wrote:
To everyone saying Eli isn't elite... if he wins the superbowl again this year, does he become elite in your eyes?

In fact, to take it a step further, is he then one of the best QBs ever? He's probably a hall of famer if he does get a 2nd one. Then what? A hall of famer who isn't elite?

Hmmm.

he should be i mean when you look at his track record when the game is on the line dude just wins... really outside of individual stats and records... rodgers as a career hasnt really did to much more then eli has. And ill give you this season, rodgers was phenomenal... (i mean they did have a lightweight schedule) But how many great seasons outside this yr has rodgers had. Basically he was decent good his entire career up into the playoffs last yr until the end of the season this yr. So 1 and a half great season outta 7 is elite? He had a good 09-10 season, a great second half 10-11 season., and a excellent 11-12 season. Sounds like a player that is comming into his own to me.

Alot of ppl are judging guys and determining their great or eli status by what they did lately. But when you look at them and judge them by their overall body of work some of these guys are pretty much in the same boat.

Originally Posted by epox12

Originally Posted by chokeonsmoke

Alex smith has to be in that top ten...I think???

Don't know if you are being sarcastic but one efficient year and a deep playoff run do not make you top 10.  I am a 9er fan. 
It wasn't even a "deep playoff run"... They won one game, albeit an impressive one over the Saints.

elite also requires consistency.

nako...if eli plays like he did this year for a couple more, he makes the jump. but to be honest, his numbers don't jump off the page in today's NFL. only two seasons with a 90+ rating. and 93 in both. he needs to show more consistency.

as far as hall of fame...i dunno if a SB this year does it. again, the statistics aren't really there imo. not yet at least. he has plenty of time to change that though.

The elite label is just being thrown around too much, like Eli had to show us something vs the Falcons to show he is elite, then he had to beat Rodgers at GB to show if he is elite or not, then everyone said well he has to beat a top defense like the 49ers to show is he is elite or not........now he has to win the Superbowl or it'll be questioned.......it's not a weekly thing.

Eli is a damn good quarterback a notch below those top guys (5th) overall, and I don't think consistency will be a problem as long as he continues to lead his young unselfish receivers in the right direction, and leadership has never been an issue with him. Guy is entering his prime and has been consistent all season long....and he has shown improvement every season.

It's a dumb label, the doubters can keep questioning his status while he leads the team I root for to a second Superbowl in 4 years, could care less.

You clowns say being elite means consistency but ya'll turn around and say Rodgers=Elite?

If that's the case, you might as well throw Eli and Ben in there with that dumb logic...

Originally Posted by S4L3

You clowns say being elite means consistency but ya'll turn around and say Rodgers=Elite?

If that's the case, you might as well throw Eli and Ben in there with that dumb logic...
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]Games[/td] [td]Games Started[/td] [td]Win's[/td] [td]Comp.[/td] [td]Att.[/td] [td]Comp %[/td] [td]YPG[/td] [td]Yards[/td] [td]YPA[/td] [td]Pass TD[/td] [td]Rush TD[/td] [td]TD%[/td] [td]INT[/td] [td]INT%[/td] [td]QB Rate[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RS 09 wk 11-17[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]161[/td] [td]245[/td] [td]65.7[/td] [td]284.3[/td] [td]1990[/td] [td]8.1[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]5.3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0.08[/td] [td]104.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PS 2009[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]66.7[/td] [td]423[/td] [td]423[/td] [td]10.1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]9.5[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]121.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RS 2010[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]312[/td] [td]475[/td] [td]65.7[/td] [td]261.5[/td] [td]3922[/td] [td]8.3[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]5.9[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]101.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PS 2010[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]90[/td] [td]132[/td] [td]68.2[/td] [td]273.5[/td] [td]1094[/td] [td]8.3[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]6.8[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td]109.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RS 2011[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]343[/td] [td]502[/td] [td]68.3[/td] [td]311[/td] [td]4643[/td] [td]9.3[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]1.2[/td] [td]122.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Total[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]934[/td] [td]1396[/td] [td]66.9[/td] [td]288[/td] [td]12072[/td] [td]8.6[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]7.1[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]1.6[/td] [td]110.94[/td] [/tr][/table]

Yeah so inconsistent.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Hmmm.

Besides this year, when has Eli ever been considered a top 5 QB in any point of his career? Isn't the HOF reserved for the absolute best of the best? 
Maybe if he continues this kind of play for the rest of his career, but let's not forget he threw like 25 INTs just last year.  
It's hard to argue i guess though since most QB's who have won multiple SBs are in the HOF *shrugs*

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

Eli is a damn good quarterback a notch below those top guys (5th) overall, and I don't think consistency will be a problem as long as he continues to lead his young unselfish receivers in the right direction, and leadership has never been an issue with him. Guy is entering his prime and has been consistent all season long....and he has shown improvement every season.
i can agree with this

and yeah, the elite title needs to stop being thrown around from week to week.

and DEAD @ rodgers' consistency being questioned....4 years as a starter. never more than 13 INTs. never less than 28 TDs. never less than 93 rating. in his 4 years, the guys has been a model of consistency.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

Hmmm.

Hall of fame QBs:
Troy Aikman 1989-2000
George Blanda (Also PK) 1949-1958, 1960-1975

Terry Bradshaw 1970-1983

Len Dawson 1957-1975

John Elway 1983-1998

Dan Fouts 1973-1987

Otto Graham 1946-1955

Bob Griese 1967-1980

Sonny Jurgensen 1957-1974

Jim Kelly 1986-1996

Bobby Layne 1948-1962

Dan Marino 1983-1999

Joe Montana 1979-1994

Warren Moon 1984-2000

Joe Namath 1965-1977

Bart Starr 1956-1971

Roger Staubach 1969-1979

Fran Tarkenton 1961-1978

Y.A. Tittle 1948-1964

Johnny Unitas 1956-1973

Norm Van Brocklin 1949-1960

Bob Waterfield 1945-1952

Steve Young 1985-1999

A lot of these QBs would be trash if they played now, mainly the ones from 40s-60s, and would never get close to HoF. only looked at a few of the older names that I didn't know, and several of them averaged QB ratings of in the 60s-80s. Only a handful of those guys would even be considered elite playing in the NFL today.

And to answer your question no even if he(Eli) wins this one he is definetly not one of the "best QBs ever"...

Eli if he wins another one, probably HoF, same with big ben. Maybe, maybe not first ballot on them, depending on the class.

Of active players:
First ballot HoFs: Brady, Brees, Peyton
Most likely: Rodgers, Eli, Ben
Possibles: Romo, Mcnabb, Vick

Rest its too early/too soon to bother look at them.
Even just one ring will bump any of those possibles up to most likely.

Looking soley at rings blinds some people. aka anyone who says Eli > Peyton, if he wins this ring. Making a condition like that is dumb to start off with, cause one game is so irrelevant to how good a QB is.

I agree with the latter part of your post but it is very difficult to compare QBs from the past 10 years with ones earlier, and impossible to compare with ones prior to 1978 (at least statistically speaking)

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]Games[/td] [td]Games Started[/td] [td]Win's[/td] [td]Comp.[/td] [td]Att.[/td] [td]Comp %[/td] [td]YPG[/td] [td]Yards[/td] [td]YPA[/td] [td]Pass TD[/td] [td]Rush TD[/td] [td]TD%[/td] [td]INT[/td] [td]INT%[/td] [td]QB Rate[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RS 09 wk 11-17[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]7[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]161[/td] [td]245[/td] [td]65.7[/td] [td]284.3[/td] [td]1990[/td] [td]8.1[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]5.3[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0.08[/td] [td]104.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PS 2009[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]66.7[/td] [td]423[/td] [td]423[/td] [td]10.1[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]9.5[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]121.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RS 2010[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]312[/td] [td]475[/td] [td]65.7[/td] [td]261.5[/td] [td]3922[/td] [td]8.3[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]5.9[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]101.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]PS 2010[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]90[/td] [td]132[/td] [td]68.2[/td] [td]273.5[/td] [td]1094[/td] [td]8.3[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]6.8[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td]109.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]RS 2011[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]14[/td] [td]343[/td] [td]502[/td] [td]68.3[/td] [td]311[/td] [td]4643[/td] [td]9.3[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]9[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]1.2[/td] [td]122.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Total[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]34[/td] [td]934[/td] [td]1396[/td] [td]66.9[/td] [td]288[/td] [td]12072[/td] [td]8.6[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]12[/td] [td]7.1[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]1.6[/td] [td]110.94[/td] [/tr][/table]

Yeah so inconsistent.
You realize you edited your stats to not include his first year starting or the first half of his second year starting? Of course you do you edited it.
You have 2 1/2 seasons edited to be 5 lines of stats.

Anyways, for consistency you need to look at each game. I could post yearly stats and I could make Romo look consistent from when he started starting. lol

Just for the fun might as well:

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]                                            [/td][td]G       GS[/td][td]Comp[/td][td]Att[/td][td]Pct[/td][td]Yds    
[/td][td]Avg[/td][td]TD[/td][td]Int[/td][td]Sck[/td][td]SckY[/td][td]Rate[/td][td]Att[/td][td]Yds[/td][td]Avg[/td][td]TD[/td][td]FUM[/td][td]Lost[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][/tr][tr][td]2011[/td][td] Dallas Cowboys [/td] [td]16[/td] [td] 16 [/td] [td]346[/td][td]522[/td][td]66.3[/td][td]4,184[/td][td]8.0[/td][td]31[/td][td]10[/td][td]36[/td][td]227[/td][td]102.5[/td][td]22[/td][td]46[/td][td]2.1[/td][td]1[/td][td]6[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]2010[/td][td] Dallas Cowboys [/td] [td]6[/td] [td] 6 [/td] [td]148[/td][td]213[/td][td]69.5[/td][td]1,605[/td][td]7.5[/td][td]11[/td][td]7[/td][td]7[/td][td]41[/td][td]94.9[/td][td]6[/td][td]38[/td][td]6.3[/td][td]0[/td][td]--[/td][td]--[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]2009[/td][td] Dallas Cowboys [/td] [td]16[/td] [td] 16 [/td] [td]347[/td][td]550[/td][td]63.1[/td][td]4,483[/td][td]8.2[/td][td]26[/td][td]9[/td][td]34[/td][td]196[/td][td]97.6[/td][td]35[/td][td]105[/td][td]3.0[/td][td]1[/td][td]6[/td][td]4[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]2008[/td][td] Dallas Cowboys [/td] [td]13[/td] [td] 13 [/td] [td]276[/td][td]450[/td][td]61.3[/td][td]3,448[/td][td]7.7[/td][td]26[/td][td]14[/td][td]20[/td][td]123[/td][td]91.4[/td][td]28[/td][td]41[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]0[/td][td]13[/td][td]7[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]2007[/td][td] Dallas Cowboys [/td] [td]16[/td] [td] 16 [/td] [td]335[/td][td]520[/td][td]64.4[/td][td]4,211[/td][td]8.1[/td][td]36[/td][td]19[/td][td]24[/td][td]176[/td][td]97.4[/td][td]31[/td][td]129[/td][td]4.2[/td][td]2[/td][td]10[/td][td]2[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]2006[/td][td] Dallas Cowboys [/td] [td]16[/td] [td] 10 [/td] [td]220[/td][td]337[/td][td]65.3[/td][td]2,903[/td][td]8.6[/td][td]19[/td][td]13[/td][td]21[/td][td]124[/td][td]95.1[/td][td]34[/td][td]102[/td][td]3.0[/td][td]0[/td][td]9[/td][td]3[/td][/tr][/table]

Romo is consistent right?

You realize you edited your stats to not include his first year starting or the first half of his second year starting? Of course you do you edited it.
You have 2 1/2 seasons edited to be 5 lines of stats.

Anyways, for consistency you need to look at each game. I could post yearly stats and I could make Romo look consistent from when he started starting. lol
Nah I didn't realize any of this... -_-

That chart is something I compiled myself by request of CP in the QB's thread.

Are you telling me the last 40+ games is not enough to judge a QB's consistency right now?

And in his first year starting, 4,038 yds, 28 TD, 13 INT, 63.6%, 4 Rushing TD's, 5.2 TD%, 2.4 INT%

and DEAD @ rodgers' consistency being questioned....4 years as a starter. never more than 13 INTs. never less than 28 TDs. never less than 93 rating. in his 4 years, the guys has been a model of consistency.
...and he's different from Eli how?

LOL @ posting his stats. Clown...

roll.gif

the irony

Its no secret you don't like Arodg but he is 41-21 as a starter, 132-38 TD to Int's. Super Bowl MVP. Before you bring up the playoff loss this year Brady, Peyton, Eli, Montana, have all lost their first home playoff game after being the number 1 seed in the conference. Oh yeah it happened to your boy Romo also. There is no way you can call Arodg inconsistent. You are the same guy that tries to sell Romo as a top 5 QB. 

There is no way you can call Arodg inconsistent.
No, he's not really though.

Point is, you got some people in here like Brady's niece who are saying you got to be consistent to be elite, and I honestly don't know how Rodgers is any different from Eli, Ben, and others.

It's Brees, Manning, and Brady. Period.

It's Brees, Manning, and Brady. Period.
You have Brees on here, he's been "elite" for about 5 years, so, will you be adding A-Rodg in another year or so?  Because there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 2 the past 4 years.  If you simply want one extra year as proof, ok, but I'm not sure why you don't think A-Rodg has a right to add his name to that list. 

MVP (coming soon)
SB MVP
Ring
Numbers

All in 4 seasons.  Brees got the same stuff, in 5 seasons. 

Back
Top Bottom