If you were an NBA superstar (top 6 player), would you take a minimum salary to play for Miami?

Originally Posted by Put em up

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Some of ya'll seem like the type of dudes that when you pick squads during pick up ball...always try to pick the biggest/tallest players.

"I got first...let me get the 6'8 guy right there"

fool what kinda logic is that...if i wanna win all day, yea im picking the 6'8 dude that can hoop.

and yea if im a superstart that means i can get buckets easy...so im gonna touch the ball and get shots. why wouldnt i wanna win.

some of you dudes try to hard to go against the grain...

QFT.

I'd try to beat them, because I want to be the greatest of all time, not some cat known for joining great players. Besides I'm a leader not a follower and I can only accept a challenge if it's difficult. I swear some cats just want things handed to them. Don't anybody want to earn #### anymore?

Originally Posted by Moe Fab

I'd try to beat them, because I want to be the greatest of all time, not some cat known for joining great players. Besides I'm a leader not a follower and I can only accept a challenge if it's difficult. I swear some cats just want things handed to them. Don't anybody want to earn #### anymore?

but if you a leader and the best your the best regardless if you play with 4 superstars or 1 or none at all. based on reasoning like this you basically are saying you wouldnt compete/join the us olympic team. also what makes you the best is playing with the best. and if your good great greatest you still will be conceived as such. im sure no one is diminishing shaq, malone, barkley, etc....

im pretty sure if lebron (which basically this is a secret i hate what lebron did, he didnt join my team etc...thread) never wins a chip, he still will regarded as one of the greatest sf of all time.

Originally Posted by LDJ

but if you a leader and the best your the best regardless if you play with 4 superstars or 1 or none at all. based on reasoning like this you basically are saying you wouldnt compete/join the us olympic team. also what makes you the best is playing with the best. and if your good great greatest you still will be conceived as such. im sure no one is diminishing shaq, malone, barkley, etc....

im pretty sure if lebron (which basically this is a secret i hate what lebron did, he didnt join my team etc...thread) never wins a chip, he still will regarded as one of the greatest sf of all time.

First, what does the US National team have to do with winning an NBA title? Is Shaq, Malone, Barkley considered top 5 though? Will LeBron really be placed into the pantheon of all-time greats (any pos.) with no ring, especially after he teamed up with Wade and Bosh? It makes no sense, your giving him a pass before it's even over. If he wins one? OK, you got one ring with the talent of that team and after proclaiming yourself king? But anyways this ain't about Bron it's about ME, and I ain't that type of cat. If I gave my all and at the end of the day I didn't win? Oh well, I gave my all and I failed, but at least I left nothing on the court.

Originally Posted by LDJ

First, what does the US National team have to do with winning an NBA title? Is Shaq, Malone, Barkley considered top 5 though? Will LeBron really be placed into the pantheon of all-time greats (any pos.) with no ring, especially after he teamed up with Wade and Bosh? It makes no sense, your giving him a pass before it's even over. If he wins one? OK, you got one ring with the talent of that team and after proclaiming yourself king? But anyways this ain't about Bron it's about ME, and I ain't that type of cat. If I gave my all and at the end of the day I didn't win? Oh well, I gave my all and I failed, but at least I left nothing on the court.

its about whether you would play with great players position yourself in a winning position. and the gold medal is a great feat, and matter fact on a global scale is regarded much higher then a nba championship. and shaq by many is considered one of the greatest bigs of all time. and before duncan many stated karl malone was one if not the best pf of all time. as far as lebron many where already stating he was one of the best aall time at his position, that talk kinda died down after the whole "decision" fiasco, which doesnt make sense considering he actually has become a better player since he left. Ppl say wilt is one of the greatest and he basically did a lebron, so did lew alcinder, granted he used the religion scapegoat but still doesnt change what he did. and all of them are considered all time greats. and how hard you play and try to improve as a player determined whether you get drafted on a great team, request for a trade to a great team, or play on a subpar mediocre team?

So are you saying ray allen, kg didnt start playing hard and giving their all until they joined boston? Kidd was just playing at 50% until he got to dallas, ..... Im just trying to understand your pov. Are you saying that puttiing as many hurdles infront of you as you can just to make it look like you overcame more makes you more of a winner, versus a person who position themselves in the best possible situation of winning?

Originally Posted by Cicero Avenue Dopeman

hell naw aint no way im ring chasin in my prime id rather wait till im not worth a max deal

roll.gif

Son what? Just playing the game and trying to win, regardless of what team you're on and what talent is around you, is chasing a ring. Surely you cannot be serious.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by LDJ

its about whether you would play with great players position yourself in a winning position. and the gold medal is a great feat, and matter fact on a global scale is regarded much higher then a nba championship. and shaq by many is considered one of the greatest bigs of all time. and before duncan many stated karl malone was one if not the best pf of all time. as far as lebron many where already stating he was one of the best aall time at his position, that talk kinda died down after the whole "decision" fiasco, which doesnt make sense considering he actually has become a better player since he left. Ppl say wilt is one of the greatest and he basically did a lebron, so did lew alcinder, granted he used the religion scapegoat but still doesnt change what he did. and all of them are considered all time greats. and how hard you play and try to improve as a player determined whether you get drafted on a great team, request for a trade to a great team, or play on a subpar mediocre team?

So are you saying ray allen, kg didnt start playing hard and giving their all until they joined boston? Kidd was just playing at 50% until he got to dallas, ..... Im just trying to understand your pov. Are you saying that puttiing as many hurdles infront of you as you can just to make it look like you overcame more makes you more of a winner, versus a person who position themselves in the best possible situation of winning?

Shaq and Malone aren't top 5 players of all-time (Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc.). What I meant by Team USA and an NBA team is that it's apples and oranges. Who wouldn't want to win an Olympic Gold Medal? The Olympics is the world's ASG. Also, all that KG, Ray Allen, JKidd talk is irrelevant. Were they top 6 (in the league) at the time they did it? Probably not. And to answer your last question, I feel overcoming more adversity makes your legacy better. What's more impressive, a rich kid with all the advantages getting rich or a kid from the slums getting rich overcoming all the adversity?

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

hell naw aint no way im ring chasin in my prime id rather wait till im not worth a max deal

roll.gif

Son what? Just playing the game and trying to win, regardless of what team you're on and what talent is around you, is chasing a ring. Surely you cannot be serious.

roll.gif
roll.gif
For real. If you're not "ring chasin" in your prime? What exactly are you doing??? 
laugh.gif
...If you already have like 30-40 mil banked already, what's the fuss

about taking 10 mil for a year instead of 15? If you're a top six player (if that's what the original criteria was), and you join up with a team like the Heat [or the Knicks/Clips

if you don't like them], you know on any given night you can go off, since you are "very competitive" like most people said.  If money is an irrelevant aspect since you have 

loads of it, why not? People must still think Jordan and Kobe won rings by themselves one-on-five.

I want the money. Winning would be nice. But I can live with 12 years of losing seasons if I got paid.

^ loser mentality.

Balling, putting up numbers for 12 seasons>>>>not earning a 1/10 of what you're worth riding the coattails of three other players for 12 seasons

obviously, I'd want the middle ground. 

Originally Posted by amel223

^ loser mentality.

Balling, putting up numbers for 12 seasons>>>>not earning a 1/10 of what you're worth riding the coattails of three other players for 12 seasons

Money is no issue. You have endorsements, investments out the !!$. The NBA paycheck is chump change to you.

Originally Posted by amel223

^ loser mentality.

How are you riding the coattails as a top 6 player though?

I swear nobody has read the OP where it's clearly stated money is not a concern, it's basically irrelevant. Yall dudes are either illiterate or crazy greedy if you can't even fathom putting aside one year of making max money in your prime to consider this option.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Shaq and Malone aren't top 5 players of all-time (Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc.). What I meant by Team USA and an NBA team is that it's apples and oranges. Who wouldn't want to win an Olympic Gold Medal? The Olympics is the world's ASG. Also, all that KG, Ray Allen, JKidd talk is irrelevant. Were they top 6 (in the league) at the time they did it? Probably not. And to answer your last question, I feel overcoming more adversity makes your legacy better. What's more impressive, a rich kid with all the advantages getting rich or a kid from the slums getting rich overcoming all the adversity?

well ok so you wouldnt go to a top school aka d1 like duke etc.... because basically you are choosin to play with the best and be around the best. so by your theory ud probably wouldnt even make the nba... i mean considering 1 you would start off by comming out some rinkadink college. granted you have a few gonzaga, santa clare etc... stories but who in recent yrs is a all time great and played for backyard univ.... aka bum !@!% school.

or are you suggesting its ok to team up be on a superstar team in college to get a ncaa championship/get a top draft but then the rules change again one you are in the nba

Alot of ya'll are full of $#$
laugh.gif
I agree with Peep Game & SpeakUp, if ya'll were such competitors ya'll would be talking about joining the Wizards or Bobcats...

I bet John Wall would join Miami in a New York minute
laugh.gif
losing gets old real fast

id only do it in a year either coming into or right off of the olympics. that or at the tail end of my career when all hope is lost.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

This whole "superteam" trend is absolutely pathetic. Competitiveness is DEAD.

Are we watching the same sport?
Competitiveness was dead when it was a foregone conclusion that LA was going to either go to the finals, or win the championship from 2008 - 2010

Forget Miami for a minute. In 2011, Competitiveness was at an all time high. San Antonio locked up the best record in the NBA, and lost in the first round to the Memphis Grizzlies. Denver lost their all star talent in Melo and gave Oklahoma a run for their money. Memphis took them to 7! LA not only didn't make it to the finals, but got swept by Dallas. Chicago had the second best and won only one game against Miami, And Dallas stopped all Heat championship talks putting on a clinic against them.

Fast forward to the present post lockout season, where 6 teams in each conference are as much as 3 games behind each other. Competitiveness is alive and well.

As far as playing for Miami, why not? You play the game to win a championship, not to score 29ppg in the regular season, get a MVP, and then lose before I get to the conf. finals.

roll.gif

Your time in the league ends at some point and real life happens.  The ring is the goal, but still get as much you can because it's still a business.
Funny though, when i was your age i had the thought of if i was in that position, i'd be a super investor, reap all my rewards and sponsorships and make sure i'm so rich off that, i'd take a $1 salary leaving cap space to bring talent in.   This was way before the heat too.  Minds change i guess, doesn't matter how irrelevant my take from the league is to my finances, i want the best deal.

Back
Top Bottom