If you were an NBA superstar (top 6 player), would you take a minimum salary to play for Miami?

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by Moe Fab

Originally Posted by LDJ

its about whether you would play with great players position yourself in a winning position. and the gold medal is a great feat, and matter fact on a global scale is regarded much higher then a nba championship. and shaq by many is considered one of the greatest bigs of all time. and before duncan many stated karl malone was one if not the best pf of all time. as far as lebron many where already stating he was one of the best aall time at his position, that talk kinda died down after the whole "decision" fiasco, which doesnt make sense considering he actually has become a better player since he left. Ppl say wilt is one of the greatest and he basically did a lebron, so did lew alcinder, granted he used the religion scapegoat but still doesnt change what he did. and all of them are considered all time greats. and how hard you play and try to improve as a player determined whether you get drafted on a great team, request for a trade to a great team, or play on a subpar mediocre team?

So are you saying ray allen, kg didnt start playing hard and giving their all until they joined boston? Kidd was just playing at 50% until he got to dallas, ..... Im just trying to understand your pov. Are you saying that puttiing as many hurdles infront of you as you can just to make it look like you overcame more makes you more of a winner, versus a person who position themselves in the best possible situation of winning?

Shaq and Malone aren't top 5 players of all-time (Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc.). What I meant by Team USA and an NBA team is that it's apples and oranges. Who wouldn't want to win an Olympic Gold Medal? The Olympics is the world's ASG. Also, all that KG, Ray Allen, JKidd talk is irrelevant. Were they top 6 (in the league) at the time they did it? Probably not. And to answer your last question, I feel overcoming more adversity makes your legacy better. What's more impressive, a rich kid with all the advantages getting rich or a kid from the slums getting rich overcoming all the adversity?

well ok so you wouldnt go to a top school aka d1 like duke etc.... because basically you are choosin to play with the best and be around the best. so by your theory ud probably wouldnt even make the nba... i mean considering 1 you would start off by comming out some rinkadink college. granted you have a few gonzaga, santa clare etc... stories but who in recent yrs is a all time great and played for backyard univ.... aka bum !@!% school.

or are you suggesting its ok to team up be on a superstar team in college to get a ncaa championship/get a top draft but then the rules change again one you are in the nba

Last time I checked college is amateur, the NBA is the pros. What do they have in common (other than basketball, sports, whatever)? Why not try to be the best in your profession by beating the best? When did it become cool to take the easy route? Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, I don't know. But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I can see your points though, I just don't agree.
And for the record, whenever I play sports games I always pick the bummiest teams to build them up, because I find satisfaction in stacking the odds then overcoming them. *shrugs*

Originally Posted by LDJ

Shaq and Malone aren't top 5 players of all-time (Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc.). What I meant by Team USA and an NBA team is that it's apples and oranges. Who wouldn't want to win an Olympic Gold Medal? The Olympics is the world's ASG. Also, all that KG, Ray Allen, JKidd talk is irrelevant. Were they top 6 (in the league) at the time they did it? Probably not. And to answer your last question, I feel overcoming more adversity makes your legacy better. What's more impressive, a rich kid with all the advantages getting rich or a kid from the slums getting rich overcoming all the adversity?

well ok so you wouldnt go to a top school aka d1 like duke etc.... because basically you are choosin to play with the best and be around the best. so by your theory ud probably wouldnt even make the nba... i mean considering 1 you would start off by comming out some rinkadink college. granted you have a few gonzaga, santa clare etc... stories but who in recent yrs is a all time great and played for backyard univ.... aka bum !@!% school.

or are you suggesting its ok to team up be on a superstar team in college to get a ncaa championship/get a top draft but then the rules change again one you are in the nba

Last time I checked college is amateur, the NBA is the pros. What do they have in common (other than basketball, sports, whatever)? Why not try to be the best in your profession by beating the best? When did it become cool to take the easy route? Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, I don't know. But I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I can see your points though, I just don't agree.
And for the record, whenever I play sports games I always pick the bummiest teams to build them up, because I find satisfaction in stacking the odds then overcoming them. *shrugs*

i hear ya kinda like the false hero type thing.... so what if you landed in a good position ala magic, bird, zeke would you requested to play for the bucks?

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by LDJ

i hear ya kinda like the false hero type thing.... so what if you landed in a good position ala magic, bird, zeke would you requested to play for the bucks?

embarassed.gif
No, touche
laugh.gif

But when you look at those teams, they were drafted into those situations. It's not like they were given the choice from team A or team B. It was just the rich getting richer. That was just great team management (how else do you explain the Lakers getting the No.1 pick following a title) and lucking out. I believe players should play, coaches should coach, and management should manage. Don't get me wrong I'm not against the whole "ring chasing" idea when it's the twilight of your career after you've done your best, in your prime, to get the goal achieved. I just don't see the honor in conceding defeat and then taking the easy way out.

Originally Posted by LDJ

embarassed.gif
No, touche
laugh.gif

But when you look at those teams, they were drafted into those situations. It's not like they were given the choice from team A or team B. It was just the rich getting richer. That was just great team management (how else do you explain the Lakers getting the No.1 pick following a title) and lucking out. I believe players should play, coaches should coach, and management should manage. Don't get me wrong I'm not against the whole "ring chasing" idea when it's the twilight of your career after you've done your best, in your prime, to get the goal achieved. I just don't see the honor in conceding defeat and then taking the easy way out.

but for the most part ppl dont even acknowledge players who got a ring in their latter years unless the lead the team and/or already won one... also you said no challenge in being on a team with other superstars cause you quote on quote arent the man... but if you are a top tier player wouldnt you be the man on that team anyways... and if you was drafted onto a superteam wouldt you still have to prove you are the man? Im pretty sure the lakers just didnt crown magic the leader until proven...

Also how would you feel about being on a sucky team and then top tier players are traded to your team? Wouldnt you still have to prove yourself and show why you should still be the man on the team? and would you yes/no respect those players that came to your team via a trade?

LDJ wrote:
but for the most part ppl dont even acknowledge players who got a ring in their latter years unless the lead the team and/or already won one... also you said no challenge in being on a team with other superstars cause you quote on quote arent the man... but if you are a top tier player wouldnt you be the man on that team anyways... and if you was drafted onto a superteam wouldt you still have to prove you are the man? Im pretty sure the lakers just didnt crown magic the leader until proven... 
Also how would you feel about being on a sucky team and then top tier players are traded to your team? Wouldnt you still have to prove yourself and show why you should still be the man on the team? and would you yes/no respect those players that came to your team via a trade?

First, I said it wasn't a challenge because of all the talent, because it's an easy out.
Now, I know they don't acknowledge the ring, but it doesn't take the ring away; a la Glove. Also, this isn't about players coming to join my team. That would, in a sense, show that they are conceding and are looking for me to be "the guy". No one is mad at Wade for this, they're mad at Bron for tainting his legacy and not doing it the way MJ, Magic, Bird, Kobe, etc. did it. Bron is going against the grain by not going against the grain, know what I mean? Also, Magic proved he could be the guy in college. He also played C in the Finals and won with Capt. hurt.

As far as being on a trash team, I would want my FO to help me out. That's their job. Would I still have to prove I'm the man, if they are traded to my team, of course, but if they just come to my team no, because It's my team. Whose team did reasonable cats say it was when Bron took his talents to South Beach? Wade's because he had already won a ring there. Being traded by management is respectable because then you have to prove your worth, just going to another superstar's team no, because you have admitted you can't be the man.

LDJ wrote:

First, I said it wasn't a challenge because of all the talent, because it's an easy out.
Now, I know they don't acknowledge the ring, but it doesn't take the ring away; a la Glove. Also, this isn't about players coming to join my team. That would, in a sense, show that they are conceding and are looking for me to be "the guy". No one is mad at Wade for this, they're mad at Bron for tainting his legacy and not doing it the way MJ, Magic, Bird, Kobe, etc. did it. Bron is going against the grain by not going against the grain, know what I mean? Also, Magic proved he could be the guy in college. He also played C in the Finals and won with Capt. hurt.

As far as being on a trash team, I would want my FO to help me out. That's their job. Would I still have to prove I'm the man, if they are traded to my team, of course, but if they just come to my team no, because It's my team. Whose team did reasonable cats say it was when Bron took his talents to South Beach? Wade's because he had already won a ring there. Being traded by management is respectable because then you have to prove your worth, just going to another superstar's team no, because you have admitted you can't be the man.

So if dwight goes to la and wins rings, it is frowned upon in your eyes. What about shaq when he requested to go to la? As far as being traded by mgt.. that only happens when you are a subpar/garbage player or a former great/good player in which you no longer would be a top tier player anyways. No team is going to just trade a top 5 player just cause, unless the player demands the trade. Also you never answered what would you think of the players that joined the team your currently on? I mean how could you productively play with players you dont respect?

Also the lebron issue is a valid one, but what about when shaq went to la, ppl said it was shaq team. or how about when melo went to ny, they say its melo team in most circles. or when barkley went to the suns they called it his team even tho it was og called kj's.

also as far as the big 3, not saying you but a good majority of ppl said it was dwade team because of the whole i hate "the decision" and he didnt stay/go to my team. At one time mainly the playoffs before the finals, many ppl were saying that lebron had taken over and that it was his team... esp in that chicago series in which dwade basically pulled a finals lebron.

Originally Posted by LDJ

LDJ wrote:

So if dwight goes to la and wins rings, it is frowned upon in your eyes. What about shaq when he requested to go to la? As far as being traded by mgt.. that only happens when you are a subpar/garbage player or a former great/good player in which you no longer would be a top tier player anyways. No team is going to just trade a top 5 player just cause, unless the player demands the trade. Also you never answered what would you think of the players that joined the team your currently on? I mean how could you productively play with players you dont respect?

Also the lebron issue is a valid one, but what about when shaq went to la, ppl said it was shaq team. or how about when melo went to ny, they say its melo team in most circles. or when barkley went to the suns they called it his team even tho it was og called kj's.

also as far as the big 3, not saying you but a good majority of ppl said it was dwade team because of the whole i hate "the decision" and he didnt stay/go to my team. At one time mainly the playoffs before the finals, many ppl were saying that lebron had taken over and that it was his team... esp in that chicago series in which dwade basically pulled a finals lebron.

That poses a difficult scenario, the team I love and my morals, but I will give it a go.
The Shaq trade was different because Magic was gone, it was a new era and Shaq was sent here to be the guy. I don't really remember too much of what led Shaq to leave. But, nothing was wrong with being traded to another team then, because he was starting over. With Dwight, I don't see him as a lead-a-team superstar because of his mental weakness and limited offense. He has all that athleticism and no skill. So with that in mind I see Dwight as another LeBron type cat. Pure athlete playing with no sound fundamentals. That's why I can't really ride with most stars of this era, but that's another topic. Also, with Dwight it's not like he's joining up with the best player in his prime. Let's be real, Dwight would be the superstar in waiting, as opposed to the Heat, because Kobe is in his twilight.

As far as those coming to my team via free agency, they have already conceded being an inferior talent, so now it's just about winning (at the end of the day you must be professional). Like I said, no one's really mad at Wade, it's Bron. It was Shaq's team, until Kobe started getting it done and they both eventually 3-peated, then it was Kobe & Shaq/Shaq & Kobe. Melo and Amare, we see how that's going. Chuck and KJ I don't remember too well.

Oh, and I said reasonable cats, not everyone. I made sure I clarified that.

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Originally Posted by Cicero Avenue Dopeman

hell naw aint no way im ring chasin in my prime id rather wait till im not worth a max deal

roll.gif

Son what? Just playing the game and trying to win, regardless of what team you're on and what talent is around you, is chasing a ring. Surely you cannot be serious.

uh wat? i mean im not taking less money for a better chance at a gettin a ring. cashout!

u guys would really prefer chucking up 20+ bad shots a game on a losing team in milwaukee over running teams off the court with the best two players in the league while living in miami? dudes are more concerned with the medias perception of them than they are with winning. i understand most people are selfish but if u wouldnt even consider it u are a moron

u guys would really prefer chucking up 20+ bad shots a game on a losing team in milwaukee over running teams off the court with the best two players in the league while living in miami? dudes are more concerned with the medias perception of them than they are with winning. i understand most people are selfish and want the glory all for themselves but if u wouldnt even consider it u are a moron

no id be shootin a good % on a winning competitive team, no way my team would be milwaukee like if i was a top 6 player. we'd be in the playoffs and i'd be in the MVP race

Originally Posted by abutta13

u guys would really prefer chucking up 20+ bad shots a game on a losing team in milwaukee over running teams off the court with the best two players in the league while living in miami? dudes are more concerned with the medias perception of them than they are with winning. i understand most people are selfish but if u wouldnt even consider it u are a moron

nope they wouldnt.. look at real life evertday half the folks speaking wouldnt take a subpar job, working for a go nowhere company and turn down a better job with a company they could advance with...

I am surprised Dwight hasn't tried to get to Miami. He obviously is more about showbiz and stardom than winning, otherwise he would add the following teams to his wish list as they can create a package Orlando will take (though they aren't exactly negotiating from a point of strength anyways) that allows there to still be a formidable team left when he gets there (unword to the Carmelo trade).; Oklahoma City, Memphis, Chicago, hell even Boston the way Danny Ainge been talkin. Oh, so you wanna go to either of the 2 LA or 2 NY teams? Cornball #$% (#)$*^

I mean, unless the management on my team is completely incompetent and consistently makes terrible roster moves (à la Bosh-era Raptors) and I'm either in my prime or past it, no. If I have a solid team around me and room to improve, then I'd stick it out.

I also cannot stand LeBron and Wade after last season and the whole "cough-gate" ordeal, but that has nothing to do with my decision.

RipC wrote:
I mean, unless the management on my team is completely incompetent and consistently makes terrible roster moves (à la Bosh-era Raptors) and I'm either in my prime or past it, no. If I have a solid team around me and room to improve, then I'd stick it out.

I also cannot stand LeBron and Wade after last season and the whole "cough-gate" ordeal, but that has nothing to do with my decision.

I mean, unless the management on my team is completely incompetent

which history, states shows Cleveland cavs etc are

but i guess stay with stat wise the worst metro city in all stats (employment, living conditions etc...) and worst city in sports history and well............

Back
Top Bottom