Illiteracy in Louisiana ?... (don't even try to top this)

everyone in america has access to a free education. everyone in america can learn how to read. end of story.

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Originally Posted by imperialh8

Maybe where this lady is from, it wasn't that important to read to get through the days, so it was never her agenda. Communicating verbally was enough.
How is reading unimportant anywhere in the US? I'm narrow minded for expecting a grown woman in the US to be able to read street signs ?
laugh.gif
I thought the whole California Exit Exam being biased against latinos and females theory was ridiculous enough, now people are making excuses for illiteracy
laugh.gif
I agree. That was just an ignorant comment. There's no excuse for illiteracy in this country.

ok my man, just trying to save you some embarrassment when you raise your hand in class to speak

you do you stay on that road

Originally Posted by Danny Almonte 3

ok my man, just trying to save you some embarrassment when you raise your hand in class to speak
alright man, you stay with your socio-economic theories , while there are programs such as these, http://www.allbusiness.com/arts-entertainment-recreation/amusement/4087651-1.htmlin new orleans, for example

clearly im ignorant, undeducated, and just speaking out of my @#$ when i say there are oppurtunities to learn if you want to learn
laugh.gif

I like how people are so quick to judge.

She chose not to learn to read, just like you chose to read.

If you're not following me I'm being sarcastic. People don't become literate becasue they choose to learn how to read, its because they are forcedto learn how to read by their parents. You'll be surprised as to how much your personal skill set is attributed to environment and family.

Just an basic rule. Before you judge someone, imaginig living a life in their shoes. I don't understand why every single person thinks they are that dudethat no matter how !@+%*% of a position they are put in WILL succeed.

These are the same people who can barely achieve moderate definitions of success even with every resource given to them by birth right.

There was a story in the newspaper a few years ago about kids in Richmond, California GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL without being able to read.
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Danny Almonte 3

alright man, you stay with your socio-economic theories , while there are programs such as these, http://www.allbusiness.com/arts-entertainment-recreation/amusement/4087651-1.html in new orleans, for example

clearly im ignorant, undeducated, and just speaking out of my @#$ when i say there are oppurtunities to learn if you want to learn
laugh.gif
Did you read the article?

Of the 24 metro-area adult literacy providers in operation before Katrina, only seven are currently offering services. Two of these are English as SecondLanguage (ESL) programs. Five are operating outside New Orleans.

Plus, this article is 3 years old. And how advertised was this program? Did people even know about it?

It's easy to say "everyone should be able to read in America". I agree with that, but realistically that isn't the case. The public schoolsystem in certain areas are complete garbage, to be frank. Sitting at home on your computer judging stuff you don't really know about doesn't help theproblem, either.

I'm from this same type of demographic (poor, black, raised in the South, not a lot of resources) but I can +%%%%%% read... I don't care about any ofthat nonsense that people in this thread are putting out there: there isn't any excuse a grown woman can give for not being able to read... we're nottalking about knowing every single word in the dictionary or being able to break down jargon in law documents... we're talking ABCs, cat, dog, fishstuff... any person giving excuses for this is just adding to the problem... a lack of basic addition, spelling and reading skills are not things that can beattributed to the demographics that people keep bringing up... you dudes serious, B?

Originally Posted by LiveFree

If you're not following me I'm being sarcastic. People don't become literate becasue they choose to learn how to read, its because they are forced to learn how to read by their parents.
That much is obvious, I didn't say that people just naturally want to learn how to read. But as a 34 year old, you should be able to adapt toyour environment and learn the basics, when there are oppurtunities that are presented in front of you.

and Danny Almonte, it took me 30 seconds to find FREE classes being held by volunteers in the Baton Rouge area .

yes this a real name i've seen the drivers license of a chick named la-a, it kills me because people really think they doing when when they name their kidsthese crazy as names
smh.gif

you would be surprised at the amount of people who can't read, its not just the south it's every where

my grandmother couldn't read until about 4 years ago, she stopped going to school in the 5th grade to work in the fields

Originally Posted by RL Treyce

Originally Posted by djaward

I have a few black friends. Most are well educated. A few of them have told me "THERS 2 type of black people.. One is a regular black person and the other is a (the "n" word)"... Im mexican, and I hate the N word to the fullest.. Its very disrespectful and would not use it.. But I get confused everytime they say this to me.. This thread has now made me understand what they've been saying.

I HOPE THIS DOESNT OFFEND ANYONE.. IF IT DOES IM REALLY SORRY.. I WILL DELETE MY POST...

eyes.gif

where do you live?
SO CAL. Why? (If you are black) How did this statement make you feel??

I like how people are so quick to judge.

She chose not to learn to read, just like you chose to read.

If you're not following me I'm being sarcastic. People don't become literate becasue they choose to learn how to read, its because they are forced to learn how to read by their parents. You'll be surprised as to how much your personal skill set is attributed to environment and family.

Just an basic rule. Before you judge someone, imaginig living a life in their shoes. I don't understand why every single person thinks they are that dude that no matter how !@+%*% of a position they are put in WILL succeed.

These are the same people who can barely achieve moderate definitions of success even with every resource given to them by birth right.

Real talk. Some of you sound extremely simple minded. Now I don't believe this story is real, but is it really that hard to see how a woman of that agecan't read? I mean with the drug problem down there, the lack of parenting through out the U.S, and all these different factors that can contribute to nothaving your parents around. If your teachers didn't push you to learn how to read do you think that would've been your focus as a kid? Now do yourealize how many kids don't even make it that far? Some don't even have some one to push them to go to school, so they even reach those teachers. Thesedays it's different, but back then it was easy for a kid to "slip through the cracks". Some will learn later on in life, but by that time a lotof people are way to discouraged, or it just simply doesn't seem like a necessity. It is important, but some people need to focus more on surviving.

and Danny Almonte, it took me 30 seconds to find FREE classes being held by volunteers in the Baton Rouge area .
Congrats, bro. You can read. Imagine trying to find something like that without being able to use the internet or anything of the sort. Not sayingthat's an excuse, but you being able to find free classes has no relevance to this topic.

If you're not following me I'm being sarcastic. People don't become literate becasue they choose to learn how to read, its because they are forced to learn how to read by their parents.
That much is obvious, I didn't say that people just naturally want to learn how to read. But as a 34 year old, you should be able to adapt to your environment and learn the basics, when there are oppurtunities that are presented in front of you.

It took you 30 seconds because you were taught how to research and know what to look for. Some people dont even know where to start.

Originally Posted by SlamCity

That much is obvious, I didn't say that people just naturally want to learn how to read. But as a 34 year old, you should be able to adapt to your environment and learn the basics, when there are oppurtunities that are presented in front of you.

It took you 30 seconds because you were taught how to research and know what to look for. Some people dont even know where to start.
Also the people who can't afford to go out of their way to do this even if they did know where to start. If you weren't able to learn as akid you most likely didn't have the best parents. That leads to growing up fast, these people have to work, most of them have children to feed. They simplydon't have the time to do these things

It took me awhile to realize the mom wanted ppl to pronounce the hyphen in her name
laugh.gif
Seeing as she can't tell the difference between a hyphen and adash

There's no excuse for this I know people who have immigrated to this country and spoke no English that have taught themselves to be fluent in a few years.People in here need to stop making excuses.

Back
Top Bottom