iPad Mini Thread vol. Every Inch an iPad

I'm pickin up a brand new iPad 2 from a cat on CL tomorrow for the low. I want and need the 3G service & I doubt that the iPad Mini comes in the 3G variety.
You may be on to something.  I don't think there are any 7" tablets on the market currently that offer a data plan.  Apple may follow suit and make this device a wifi only deal.  Or they could spearhead the offering of data with such a size tablet.

I'll probably just up my GB allotment on my iPhone plan to use tethering or opt into a shared data plan when the Mini releases - 3G/4G or not.  Hopefully the battery life doesn't take too much of a hit while tethering.

Last edited:
I'm pickin up a brand new iPad 2 from a cat on CL tomorrow for the low. I want and need the 3G service

You may be on to something.  I don't think there are any 7" tablets on the market currently that offer a data plan.  Apple may follow suit and make this device a wifi only deal.  Or they could spearhead the offering of data with such a size tablet.

I'll probably just up my GB allotment on my iPhone plan to use tethering or opt into a shared data plan when the Mini releases - 3G/4G or not.  Hopefully the battery life doesn't take too much of a hit while tethering.

You can bank on your phone taking a hit while tethering. That is why is refuse to purchase an iPad without 3G or LTE.

So it actually makes a difference in data usage from wifi tethering the exact amount of data as opposed to the use the actual device's built in wireless?  What I mean is, do you think it would be cheaper to just add a tethering plan to your phone or just have your tablet have it's own data plan?

Last edited:

So it actually makes a difference in data usage from wifi tethering the exact amount of data as opposed to the use the actual device's built in wireless?  What I mean is, do you think it would be cheaper to just add a tethering plan to your phone or just have your tablet have it's own data plan?
There shouldn't be a difference.  AT&T allows tethering for higher GB data plans (5GB and up).

It would be cheaper to add tethering to your phone, yes.  But, you would probably run through any data plan (tether or tablet) you select because a tablet is a consumption device.  You want to stream video, play games, listen/stream music and that takes up a lot of data really fast.  If you are using it as such.

The great thing about the iPad is that it has incredible battery life, and the mini most likely will have an equally astonishing battery life.  Your phone probably has an incredible battery life too, but not when tethering.  It will be hit pretty drastically.  So it comes down to 10 hours on the iPad itself on Wifi or 4G vs 5 hours of tethering with your phone.

Your data plan will be hit either way if you are really using the device to consume all the media goodness that is out there.  The question you have to ask yourself is if it is more convenient for you to tether and have your phone take a hit and possibly die on you, or to opt for a data plan with the iPad itself (individual or shared) and be good on battery life.

The shared plan is probably the best option for those with a smartphone and a tablet because you don't have to work your phone's battery into the ground, and still only pay one data bill per month.

Last edited:
Good points.  Like you said, it pretty much goes to what's most convenient for you.  For me, just adding a tethering plan to my phone would be more convenient because most of the time wherever I'm at already has wifi so the times I actually would want wifi-tethering and regular wifi  isn't available would be far in betweeen so it makes sense to do it that way.  And where I'm at I'd probably be able to charge my phone at the same time so battery life wouldn't be an issue.  

I could see how having your tablet have its own data plan would be more convenient for people who are always away from wifi hotspots though and tethering would be a worse option. 

Apple bout to shut this whole tablet talk up.

Without a doubt the must have item for holiday 2012.

Last edited:
I'm cool with the ipad cause I don't have this its too big and bothersome problem other seem to have. Dude acting like they toddlers the ipad isn't a 10lb dumbell your lugging around its like a pound or two and thats with the keyboard case too. I seriously have never had that problem guess I'm just lucky.

I'm cool with the ipad cause I don't have this its too big and bothersome problem other seem to have. Dude acting like they toddlers the ipad isn't a 10lb dumbell your lugging around its like a pound or two and thats with the keyboard case too. I seriously have never had that problem guess I'm just lucky.

x2. only reason i copped an ipad was cuz i hated dragging my mbp to class n whatnot for notes/book references (a 5.5lb laptop is really something you don't wanna be carrying around). dudes complaining about the ipad being too heavy must never have seen the inside of a weight room :rolleyes

Apple bout to shut this whole tablet talk up.

Without a doubt the must have item for holiday 2012.
Now they'll have the small tablet market too. If I didn't already buy a small tablet a few weeks ago, I would've strongly considered getting this mini. It'll definitely be a hot item to give as gifts considering how it'll be priced.

Cause no lie, anything with a damn Galaxy in its title is the same damn device. But they will beg to differ, I bet.
Its all the same ****, different name.

So you fight hyperbole with hyperbole...smart

My only hope is that this brings down the price of the Nexus...maybe a $50 price cut in time for the holidays/Black Friday?

:lol:

apple sheep are so :x

lmao. this is from someone who owns a iphone only for the music and i hate everything to do with apple, their brand, and their users.

a smaller ipad :lol:
congrats on your xlarge iphone

android fanboys mad at apple yet the Galaxy S, Note, and Tab are all the same devices in different sizes. ok.
you sure about that? galaxy s3 dual core... note 2 quad core and a stylus... and the galaxy tablet is a 10inch screen with stylus...

Need to see specs and price big deal breaker if over $400 I'll pass like Kobe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom