Is hip-hop to blame for the youth acting out? bunB and Lupe speak to teacher

Originally Posted by OoPrinceOfFreshoO

You'd have to "be about that life" to understand what Lupe is saying. I agree with him as well as Bun B. There are kids all over the country that go to school just to eat so for yall to say what he said has no substance and meaning probably got your drivers license at 15 and a camry or something a year later.

peace
I guess your referring to me with the above comment, so let me clarify.

What Lupe said about kids coming to school to eat is absolutely true. No one would deny that, or that food security amongst children in public schools is a roadblock
But his whole spiel about going back to his old school and being principal for the day did not add value to the conversation.    

You'd have to "be about that life" to understand what Lupe is saying. I agree with him as well as Bun B. There are kids all over the country that go to school just to eat so for yall to say what he said has no substance and meaning probably got your drivers license at 15 and a camry or something a year later.

peace

What Lupe said about kids coming to school to eat is absolutely true. No one would deny that, or that food security amongst children in public schools is a roadblock
But his whole spiel about going back to his old school and being principal for the day did not add value to the conversation.    

Originally Posted by sorianotron
this is not completely true tho..read my last response

when kids don't get guidance from their parents, teachers, and friends.. of course they're gonna look up to the ones that made it (Jay-Z)

just like ooPrinceofFresho stated

when kids don't get guidance from their parents, teachers, and friends.. of course they're gonna look up to the ones that made it (Jay-Z)

Originally Posted by blazinRook

Your subconsciously doing so just by listening to the music.

Look at your wardrobe, haircut, slang.....

Look at emo kids who listen to emo music, look at their wardrobe, haircut, slang

Look at ppl who listen to country music, look at people who listen to goth music.

The Music/entertainment you take in directly influences your subconscious which in turn influences "decisions" you make whether your aware of it or not.

I just used jay as a popular example....

Look at emo kids who listen to emo music, look at their wardrobe, haircut, slang

Look at ppl who listen to country music, look at people who listen to goth music.

The Music/entertainment you take in directly influences your subconscious which in turn influences "decisions" you make whether your aware of it or not.

richiecotite wrote:

peace

Yeah I was surprised of what Lupe said. He is a conscience rapper after all, but he came off as ignorant. I agree with him somewhat on kids not learning history well enough, but saying that math and other studies are useless is just plain dumb.

richiecotite wrote:

peace

Yeah I was surprised of what Lupe said. He is a conscience rapper after all, but he came off as ignorant. I agree with him somewhat on kids not learning history well enough, but saying that math and other studies are useless is just plain dumb.

Originally Posted by richiecotite

peace

It actually added a lot to his point. He is saying that he went back to a his old school, a place where he should clearly be known and wasnt. That lets you know that he comes into the issue as neutral as a new teacher on the first day of school. With as much "conscience" music as Lupe make, if his message isn't absorbed how is he to blame? And he was right about schools use of old methods and curriculum that are very much so  dated. Everything else in our society is constantly updated and given face lifts , yet our school systems remain mundane year in and year out. It would be beneficial for teachers to get hands on with their students from time to time rather than preaching to them form a book made in the 80's. I'm sure we all can attest to the method of hands-on learning. Not to mention that much of what our students are taught in school is a bias inteprelation of what government officials want us to believe. How many of us were just in the Shinx thread swearing up and down that the nose fell off because of erosion.......EXACTLY
grin.gif

pimp.gif
post by OoPrinceOfFreshoO btw

peace

It actually added a lot to his point. He is saying that he went back to a his old school, a place where he should clearly be known and wasnt. That lets you know that he comes into the issue as neutral as a new teacher on the first day of school. With as much "conscience" music as Lupe make, if his message isn't absorbed how is he to blame? And he was right about schools use of old methods and curriculum that are very much so  dated. Everything else in our society is constantly updated and given face lifts , yet our school systems remain mundane year in and year out. It would be beneficial for teachers to get hands on with their students from time to time rather than preaching to them form a book made in the 80's. I'm sure we all can attest to the method of hands-on learning. Not to mention that much of what our students are taught in school is a bias inteprelation of what government officials want us to believe. How many of us were just in the Shinx thread swearing up and down that the nose fell off because of erosion.......EXACTLY
grin.gif

pimp.gif

i agree with with your sayin but the "manipulating the youth for the ruling class"...isnt just an example
your alluding to something further...it has a negative sense, which im assuming is the way u feel

you got rappers that say they just telling what they see in their environment and you got rappers who are straight ignorant and dont give a flip...do record exes have a hand in spreading the word? of course...is it like you say it is?...Im sure in certain aspects yes, but overall its more indirect than a direct operation like u making it seem...imo 

i agree with with your sayin but the "manipulating the youth for the ruling class"...isnt just an example
your alluding to something further...it has a negative sense, which im assuming is the way u feel

you got rappers that say they just telling what they see in their environment and you got rappers who are straight ignorant and dont give a flip...do record exes have a hand in spreading the word? of course...is it like you say it is?...Im sure in certain aspects yes, but overall its more indirect than a direct operation like u making it seem...imo 

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

peace

grin.gif

pimp.gif
i liked lupe's point.. a lot of math, science and history is meaningless.. i work with kids between 12-18 (at a psychiatric hospital) that can not spell their name correctly, tell time, do basic arithmetic or any of the essential or vital information you should know.. i guess before hip-hop kids were straight A students and the youth were saints.. nah but the US education system is horrific in every form and fashion.. If you ever read the autobio of Malcolm X, Assata or Lies my teacher taught me.. you laugh.. Christopher Columbus discovered America... The Eurocentric view of a country that is so diverse is troubling..

i wanted to hear what Malice had to say..

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

peace

grin.gif

pimp.gif
i liked lupe's point.. a lot of math, science and history is meaningless.. i work with kids between 12-18 (at a psychiatric hospital) that can not spell their name correctly, tell time, do basic arithmetic or any of the essential or vital information you should know.. i guess before hip-hop kids were straight A students and the youth were saints.. nah but the US education system is horrific in every form and fashion.. If you ever read the autobio of Malcolm X, Assata or Lies my teacher taught me.. you laugh.. Christopher Columbus discovered America... The Eurocentric view of a country that is so diverse is troubling..

i wanted to hear what Malice had to say..

First off my dude Bun,
pimp.gif
. For those who dismiss rappers as a bunch of ignorant people yelling on the mic, I challenge them to listen to Bun's response. It was clear concise and so correct. The primary responsibility is the parent. Point blank period. The analogy  he used with McDonalds was on point. I don't think people caught what Lupe was trying to get at. He came from a different POV. He was basically saying, the school system has to be changed completely, which I think is impossible at this point. Truth of the matter is, a lot of kids DO come to school for food, and it's not even good food at that. I experienced that working in an after school program and realizing that these kids aren't getting that from home. To his point where he says the information they learn is useless, I slightly disagree. The point of education is to get you to think a certain way (a good education SHOULD do this). It's not the point of just learing stuff you won't use, it's the understanding of  the process of thinking critically. This is built over time while we are in school. Now the quality varies on the teacher and budgets obviously, but I don't think he was high, I just think he took off too fast and people didn't quite understand the place he was coming from. If you listen to what he says in his music overall, you would have figured out automatically where he was going. I agreed with both of them. This is the single best video that crappy site ever produced. 

On a side note, I wonder what Jay Z's take on this topic is? I'll wait....
laugh.gif

First off my dude Bun,
pimp.gif
. For those who dismiss rappers as a bunch of ignorant people yelling on the mic, I challenge them to listen to Bun's response. It was clear concise and so correct. The primary responsibility is the parent. Point blank period. The analogy  he used with McDonalds was on point. I don't think people caught what Lupe was trying to get at. He came from a different POV. He was basically saying, the school system has to be changed completely, which I think is impossible at this point. Truth of the matter is, a lot of kids DO come to school for food, and it's not even good food at that. I experienced that working in an after school program and realizing that these kids aren't getting that from home. To his point where he says the information they learn is useless, I slightly disagree. The point of education is to get you to think a certain way (a good education SHOULD do this). It's not the point of just learing stuff you won't use, it's the understanding of  the process of thinking critically. This is built over time while we are in school. Now the quality varies on the teacher and budgets obviously, but I don't think he was high, I just think he took off too fast and people didn't quite understand the place he was coming from. If you listen to what he says in his music overall, you would have figured out automatically where he was going. I agreed with both of them. This is the single best video that crappy site ever produced. 

On a side note, I wonder what Jay Z's take on this topic is? I'll wait....
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nightruans

lupe is an idiot for everything he said, smh at him taking that cheap shot at the teacher at the end
No- you're an idiot for thinking that your mentality/opinions apply universally to society.

Originally Posted by nightruans

lupe is an idiot for everything he said, smh at him taking that cheap shot at the teacher at the end
No- you're an idiot for thinking that your mentality/opinions apply universally to society.

youth acting out ?

i guess dudes forgot how wild the 90s was in some of the bigger cities .

that was the true OG era.

youth acting out ?

i guess dudes forgot how wild the 90s was in some of the bigger cities .

that was the true OG era.

I don't think there to blame but they definitely put a strong influence on young black youth.

Most has to do with the education system/parenting in this country. With statistics saying only half of young African American males graduate HS is a problem and needs to be fixed. And while parents in low/medium income families work two jobs and fathers are missing there's really NO positive influence on these young kids to strive and make a positive change in there lives.

Cant just blame hip-hop..

I don't think there to blame but they definitely put a strong influence on young black youth.

Most has to do with the education system/parenting in this country. With statistics saying only half of young African American males graduate HS is a problem and needs to be fixed. And while parents in low/medium income families work two jobs and fathers are missing there's really NO positive influence on these young kids to strive and make a positive change in there lives.

Cant just blame hip-hop..

I do agree what both of them said, Bun B said it very well that it is not just Hip Hop but the environment these kids are growing up in. You are a product of your environment, if you see that people selling dope and crack on the street are making more money then your parents are, who are working two jobs and still struggling to put food on the table, and make rent, what do expect the kid to do. He/She is not going to go school to get education, but would rather become a drug dealer, an athlete or rapper. What makes me sick is that we see these super star athletes in the NBA, NFL, etc. who are making ridiculous amount of money but you rarely hear any of them giving preference to education, IMO education should be first for any student athlete but the NCAA makes it hard because of all the rules and regulation of receiving money from a third party, but that whole other topic. In Lupe's case he is completely correct saying that the teachers are really teaching anything, there are some great teachers out there who understand that the textbooks are out there just for some support and they actually make real lesson plans, but the majority of the teachers out there are using the textbook as a lesson plan, which doesn't help anyone. The United States is one of the most prosperous country in the world yet we rank lower in most subjects compared to other countries. We all need to take hard look at what kind of society we are becoming and need to realize there is more to the world then just cars, money, clothes and girls.

I do agree what both of them said, Bun B said it very well that it is not just Hip Hop but the environment these kids are growing up in. You are a product of your environment, if you see that people selling dope and crack on the street are making more money then your parents are, who are working two jobs and still struggling to put food on the table, and make rent, what do expect the kid to do. He/She is not going to go school to get education, but would rather become a drug dealer, an athlete or rapper. What makes me sick is that we see these super star athletes in the NBA, NFL, etc. who are making ridiculous amount of money but you rarely hear any of them giving preference to education, IMO education should be first for any student athlete but the NCAA makes it hard because of all the rules and regulation of receiving money from a third party, but that whole other topic. In Lupe's case he is completely correct saying that the teachers are really teaching anything, there are some great teachers out there who understand that the textbooks are out there just for some support and they actually make real lesson plans, but the majority of the teachers out there are using the textbook as a lesson plan, which doesn't help anyone. The United States is one of the most prosperous country in the world yet we rank lower in most subjects compared to other countries. We all need to take hard look at what kind of society we are becoming and need to realize there is more to the world then just cars, money, clothes and girls.

Back
Top Bottom