Is it bad I don't care to listen to 97% of the hip hop out there today?

I'm surprised Magic played that "destructive to the community" card. I know he remembers when old heads in the 90's were saying the same **** about Snoop, Cube, Pac, Biggie everybody.

But the reason why the 90's was better is cuz it was balance. Coke rap, black conscious rap, party rap, etc. Rappers from every coast had their own sound.

Surprised how? Conscious rap sold records, and then suddenly it didn't exist anymore. That isn't a coincidence.

Just like crack suddenly appearing. Just like AIDS suddenly appearing.

People were being woken up through rap music, now it's used to erase consciousness.

Young thug is dope to me. dudes that hate him be the same ones that hate on future. They make good music not everything has to sound like illmatic
people hate both of them becuz they're wack

hate is a strong word... dislike the music the those 2 artist create is simply trash boy

Last edited:
We really acting like 90s hip hop wasn't "destructive to the community"? I never made Crack in my life but thanks to 90s hip hop I definitely know how, or have a idea of how it's done [emoji]128514[/emoji]. The first time I looked up the word corpse in the dictionary is when I heard DMX say he had blood on his Dickinson from smashing one.

people hate both of them becuz they're wack

hate is a strong word... dislike the music the those 2 artist create is simply trash boy

Wack to you but they do make great music for the times now. Again everything does not have to be a lyrical assault or concsious. Ya old dust heads have been left behind and not with he times anymore

Last edited:
Surprised how? Conscious rap sold records, and then suddenly it didn't exist anymore. That isn't a coincidence.

People were being woken up through rap music, now it's used to erase consciousness.

My *****, KENDRICK & COLE are two of the most popular rappers in the game. 2 of the only rappers to go REAL platinum. These dudes are "conscious rap" and at the forefront of the game.

We really acting like 90s hip hop wasn't "destructive to the community"? I never made Crack in my life but thanks to 90s hip hop I definitely know how, or have a idea of how it's done [emoji]128514[/emoji]. The first time I looked up the word corpse in the dictionary is when I heard DMX say he had blood on his Dickinson from smashing one.

Do you know what balance means?

DMX didn't just talk about that

Wu didn't just talk about woolies

My *****, KENDRICK & COLE are two of the most popular rappers in the game. 2 of the only rappers to go REAL platinum. These dudes are "conscious rap" and at the forefront of the game.

Two out of how many?

And again, they are selling records. Why aren't there more J Cole's or Kendrick's?

1. Because not everyone can do it
2.. It's done for a reason

Do you know what balance means?

DMX didn't just talk about that

Wu didn't just talk about woolies
That's the thing, alot of these dudes don't just talk about what u think they talk about. Boosie really be touching on real ****. Hell gucci mane even got songs where he rapping about real **** and not just serving dope. U won't know unless u actually check the catalogs instead of hearing a song or 2 and say oh yeah that's all he talks about

That's the thing, alot of these dudes don't just talk about what u think they talk about. Boosie really be touching on real ****. Hell gucci mane even got songs where he rapping about real **** and not just serving dope. U won't know unless u actually check the catalogs instead of hearing a song or 2 and say oh yeah that's all he talks about

What are these real lyrics that you relate to that are so deep?

Hell go listen to all boosie early ****. But once the radio got ahold of top notch and wipe me down esque songs he went for the $$

I'm surprised Magic played that "destructive to the community" card. I know he remembers when old heads in the 90's were saying the same **** about Snoop, Cube, Pac, Biggie everybody.

But the reason why the 90's was better is cuz it was balance. Coke rap, black conscious rap, party rap, etc. Rappers from every coast had their own sound.

I'm not gonna blame the problems in hoods on toadys rap music though. It's plenty of things on the blame list before we get to rap music. But like I been saying there needs to be more balance today. Probably 80% of todays rap is trap, pills, lean, kill. And I love trap music but that's not all I listen to or wanna hear. I can bump some Gucci, then listen to a Minister Farrakhan speech.

I'm saying. Ask any old head who been to jail what they were listening to the minute before they committed a crime. They'll tell you that...they was loded...bumping Pac, feeling like Fkc it.

I just watched the new Noisey Chicago joint...and one of Durk's OG's said EXACTLY that. The energy was misguided. Some of it destructive. We can't look at 90s rap as all roses and sht.

What made 90s rap so good was the originality &a balance. That's what's missing today. But I'm not trying to hear how destructive the music today is...versus yesterday.

Like an old head in my city would always talk about "the good old days....and how the kids these days are wilding, no respect, killing everything...when my city used to average close to 400 bodies "back in the day"...verses the 200 something now.

People dont know how to use the word conscious when it relates to music. Its all conscious. Music is collective consciousness. Hence why someone like boosie can sound "deep" to large amount of people and sound utterly ******ed to another group...depending on the frequencies the listeners are on.

Last edited:
What are these real lyrics that you relate to that are so deep?

Trouble man
Chill out
Consequences
Going thru some things
Betrayed
Long Journey
Confused
In my hood
I know
Dirty World

These are literally like only a few of Boosie's songs that characterize him and make him so underrated.

Last edited:
I'm saying. Ask any old head who been to jail what they were listening to the minute before they committed a crime. They'll tell you that...they was loded...bumping Pac, feeling like Fkc it.

I just watched the new Noisey Chicago joint...and one of Durk's OG's said EXACTLY that. The energy was misguided. Some of it destructive. We can't look at 90s rap as all roses and sht.

What made 90s rap so good was the originality &a balance. That's what's missing today. But I'm not trying to hear how destructive the music today is...versus yesterday.

Like an old head in my city would always talk about "the good old days....and how the kids these days are wilding, no respect, killing everything...when my city used to average close to 400 bodies "back in the day"...verses the 200 something now.

If there is no balance, it is more destructive.

and Chicago just had it's most murders in over a decade

Same with Baltimore. Baltimore had well over 300.

If there is no balance, it is more destructive.

and Chicago just had it's most murders in over a decade

Same with Baltimore. Baltimore had well over 300.

First time in a long time for my city that it had over 300. I live here. The music ain't the reason.

Music isnt the sole reason. But it is certainly a factor.

Its been proven through science that music has an undeniable influence on human behavior

But Cole and Kendrick were among the highest selling rap albums last year and Cole was actually the only rap album from 2014 to go platinum. And 2/3 of the general consensus of who are the top 3 MC's.

Chance is up next in that lane, headlining festivals and doing SNL independently.

Macklemore may not be our cup of tea but he has a message in his music and is very commercially successful.

Conscious rap hasn't gone anywhere. Old heads pick and choose what success to acknowledge.

But Cole and Kendrick were among the highest selling rap albums last year and Cole was actually the only rap album from 2014 to go platinum. And 2/3 of the general consensus of who are the top 3 MC's.

Chance is up next in that lane, headlining festivals and doing SNL independently.

Macklemore may not be our cup of tea but he has a message in his music and is very commercially successful.

Conscious rap hasn't gone anywhere. Old heads pick and choose what success to acknowledge.

You don't seem to get it, and it'a amazing since I spelled it out plain as day.

Rap labels have always copied what was popular. Why aren't they signing more Kendrick's?

Why are they continuing to sign one hit wonders? Why is that?

Music is the soundtrack to whatever is going on. DC was a war zone in the 80's and it wasn't cuz of rap music. Poverty is the bottom line.

Conscious is relative too.

If you're a broke struggling ***** in the hood, Kodak and Boosie are conscious to you. If you struggle with drug addiction, Future is conscious to you. For suburban backpacker dudes who are impressed by how many words you can fit in a bar, they might not agree.

Music is the soundtrack to whatever is going on. DC was a war zone in the 80's and it wasn't cuz of rap music. Poverty is the bottom line.

I think it used to be. I think that changed a while ago. Now the hood copies what they see rappers do.

You don't think lean use and gangs haven't been spread by peoples rappers?

Not quite.

Things werent exactly peaceful outside when the dominant themes of black music werent what they are now.

Conscious is relative too.

If you're a broke struggling ***** in the hood, Kodak and Boosie are conscious to you. If you struggle with drug addiction, Future is conscious to you. For suburban backpacker dudes who are impressed by how many words you can fit in a bar, they might not agree.

Real spill

You don't seem to get it, and it'a amazing since I spelled it out plain as day.

Rap labels have always copied what was popular. Why aren't they signing more Kendrick's?

Why are they continuing to sign one hit wonders? Why is that?

There is a huge bidding war for Chance and frankly they don't sign more Kendricks because it's not easy to put candy in the medicine.

Few artists posess Kendricks ability to make radio hits while still retaining a message. Labels are a business at the end of the day, first and foremost. It's all good if you got a message in your music but can you make a Swimming Pools so that you can not only get on the radio but also get the non-backpackers to listen.

It's fairly easy to make conscious rap. It's a lot harder to make radio singles that can go far at the same time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom