Is it right to raise a child into your religion? Thoughts?

Originally Posted by SanchezOnFire

I will bring it into their life but I wont shove it down their throat. I'm more spiritual than religious & I came into that all on my own. Most people that have had to choke it down end up going way left with their life.
This. My parents shoved it down my throat (and my brothers'), and it made us so anti-church as adults. Like you, I consider myself more spiritual than religious.

When I have children, I imagine I will introduce my beliefs and my faith to them, encourage them to figure out their own beliefs, and I want to create an open dialogue about faith in general. My parents did not create such a dialogue, and it was more of a 'This is the way, it's black and white, absolutely no shades of gray, you're absolutely going to hell if you do xyz', and that caused me to say as an adult, 'That's it. No more church for me'. I don't want my children to feel like anyone is forcing them to do anything.

I go to church now, but it's not the same church my parents go to, and it's a black Baptist church that welcomes people from all walks of life, including same-sex couples. This church is so unlike my old church (the one my parents attend) in that church members are allowed to openly question some of the more hypocritical parts of the Bible without being talked down to by the Pastor or others in leadership positions. I love that kind of open environment.

Originally Posted by SanchezOnFire

I will bring it into their life but I wont shove it down their throat. I'm more spiritual than religious & I came into that all on my own. Most people that have had to choke it down end up going way left with their life.
This. My parents shoved it down my throat (and my brothers'), and it made us so anti-church as adults. Like you, I consider myself more spiritual than religious.

When I have children, I imagine I will introduce my beliefs and my faith to them, encourage them to figure out their own beliefs, and I want to create an open dialogue about faith in general. My parents did not create such a dialogue, and it was more of a 'This is the way, it's black and white, absolutely no shades of gray, you're absolutely going to hell if you do xyz', and that caused me to say as an adult, 'That's it. No more church for me'. I don't want my children to feel like anyone is forcing them to do anything.

I go to church now, but it's not the same church my parents go to, and it's a black Baptist church that welcomes people from all walks of life, including same-sex couples. This church is so unlike my old church (the one my parents attend) in that church members are allowed to openly question some of the more hypocritical parts of the Bible without being talked down to by the Pastor or others in leadership positions. I love that kind of open environment.

Originally Posted by Trent Ferris

Teach your kids that there is a big universe out there, and that this world is only one of many.

Teach your kids that everything they put out they get back.

Teach your kids that God is real, but religion is $+%$$@*%.

Teach your kids that positive and negative energy is real.
Thank you.

I def appreciate the responses thus far, some good insights. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Trent Ferris

Teach your kids that there is a big universe out there, and that this world is only one of many.

Teach your kids that everything they put out they get back.

Teach your kids that God is real, but religion is $+%$$@*%.

Teach your kids that positive and negative energy is real.
Thank you.

I def appreciate the responses thus far, some good insights. Thanks.

One of my teacher was telling me that one of his student was brought up Orthodox Jewish. But what her parents did was they showed her the religion at a young age, however they told her when she became older she can choose any religion wanted and didn't have to stick with her Orthodox belief.

I personally think this is a good way to approach something as big as religion and allow your kids to make their own informed decision on what faith the want to chose.

One of my teacher was telling me that one of his student was brought up Orthodox Jewish. But what her parents did was they showed her the religion at a young age, however they told her when she became older she can choose any religion wanted and didn't have to stick with her Orthodox belief.

I personally think this is a good way to approach something as big as religion and allow your kids to make their own informed decision on what faith the want to chose.

If i do, which I can't imagine i ever will, hell no i wouldn't. I won't waste their time making them try to remember prayers

If i do, which I can't imagine i ever will, hell no i wouldn't. I won't waste their time making them try to remember prayers

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

It's pointless to try and teach em in depth at an early age. I raise my daughter Christian just as my wife and I were raised. I teach her that God is real, that he along w/ mommy and daddy loves her. I teach her how to pray, say her blessing before eating, etc. We go to church, all that. Not a problem at all. When she's older, whether she wants to continue or not is her decision.

Some of yall try so hard to down anything that yall don't like and it's quite pathetic. Many of yall crucify religion and it's believers so hard about not bein open minded when in actuality yall are the close minded ones. Yall tend to lump every person that goes to church and reads the Bible into one group and for what, to be "right" Maybe if yall actually got yall heads out yall tails and looked at things from other perspectives minus yall owns, yall might just learn to understand things.

P.S. If what I said offends u, then...
Why do alot of religious followers crucify atheist's then? I don't know who you refer to "Yall" (i'll assume atheists), but if atheists are close minded, so are religious folk. 
95% of religious folk think all atheists are "bad" human beings. YALL (religious peeps) tend to lump all atheists into a bad category, to try and prove YALL are "right" [ good, sound, ethical people] when YALL don't know atheists are too. 

Its all good when I talk to people, until I say i'm atheist  "How Could You Be? But You're So Nice??, I'll Pray For You To Find God" - People have actually told me that 
indifferent.gif

Can YALL be a little more open-minded also?
grin.gif
 Maybe its yall who should get your heads out of your ...

P.S.  I'm not mad, I just took it as a shot to my people. like I said, I don't know if you're referring to atheists, but yeah I was offended 
wink.gif

But i agree with your first par, & we all should be more open minded

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

It's pointless to try and teach em in depth at an early age. I raise my daughter Christian just as my wife and I were raised. I teach her that God is real, that he along w/ mommy and daddy loves her. I teach her how to pray, say her blessing before eating, etc. We go to church, all that. Not a problem at all. When she's older, whether she wants to continue or not is her decision.

Some of yall try so hard to down anything that yall don't like and it's quite pathetic. Many of yall crucify religion and it's believers so hard about not bein open minded when in actuality yall are the close minded ones. Yall tend to lump every person that goes to church and reads the Bible into one group and for what, to be "right" Maybe if yall actually got yall heads out yall tails and looked at things from other perspectives minus yall owns, yall might just learn to understand things.

P.S. If what I said offends u, then...
Why do alot of religious followers crucify atheist's then? I don't know who you refer to "Yall" (i'll assume atheists), but if atheists are close minded, so are religious folk. 
95% of religious folk think all atheists are "bad" human beings. YALL (religious peeps) tend to lump all atheists into a bad category, to try and prove YALL are "right" [ good, sound, ethical people] when YALL don't know atheists are too. 

Its all good when I talk to people, until I say i'm atheist  "How Could You Be? But You're So Nice??, I'll Pray For You To Find God" - People have actually told me that 
indifferent.gif

Can YALL be a little more open-minded also?
grin.gif
 Maybe its yall who should get your heads out of your ...

P.S.  I'm not mad, I just took it as a shot to my people. like I said, I don't know if you're referring to atheists, but yeah I was offended 
wink.gif

But i agree with your first par, & we all should be more open minded

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I'm going to have every religious scripture known to man accessible to my children and I will let them formulate their own opinions. Chances are this approach will either turn them into Atheists or strict Agnostics like I am.
This is the best way to actually create an Atheist. Once your kid is at an age of some sort of reason he\she will understand all of that stuff is bollocks.  I was leery of god before I was of leery of Santa. 

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

I'm going to have every religious scripture known to man accessible to my children and I will let them formulate their own opinions. Chances are this approach will either turn them into Atheists or strict Agnostics like I am.
This is the best way to actually create an Atheist. Once your kid is at an age of some sort of reason he\she will understand all of that stuff is bollocks.  I was leery of god before I was of leery of Santa. 

If people didnt force their beliefs on their children religion would end and the world would be a better place.

Now go ahead and stoneface me.

If people didnt force their beliefs on their children religion would end and the world would be a better place.

Now go ahead and stoneface me.

My kids used to be religious but I killed that quick. I told em "pray to God and ask him for me not to beat them tonight & you'll know if God is real" That night I got hella drunk and beat the !%$% out of them. Now if I ask em is God real they know the answer.

My kids used to be religious but I killed that quick. I told em "pray to God and ask him for me not to beat them tonight & you'll know if God is real" That night I got hella drunk and beat the !%$% out of them. Now if I ask em is God real they know the answer.

Raising a person to be religious is the only way they'll ever "believe" in anything anyway. The word is so....worldy. IMO it's just like trying to instill any other value. Sure, there are several opinions as to what is more right than wrong, but that's all culturally subjective when you break it down. It's the same with religion. I think the idea is to give them the concept of faith in a way that's easiest for them to understand and apply. And it's usually easier to teach your own values to your kids. As for me, I don't care if my kids grow up and become muslim, or agnostic, or christian -- just as long as they have faith. I don't think it's my rorle to DETERMINE their beliefs for them. I just want to guide them to something they can anchor themselves with. That's all religion really is anyway..

Raising a person to be religious is the only way they'll ever "believe" in anything anyway. The word is so....worldy. IMO it's just like trying to instill any other value. Sure, there are several opinions as to what is more right than wrong, but that's all culturally subjective when you break it down. It's the same with religion. I think the idea is to give them the concept of faith in a way that's easiest for them to understand and apply. And it's usually easier to teach your own values to your kids. As for me, I don't care if my kids grow up and become muslim, or agnostic, or christian -- just as long as they have faith. I don't think it's my rorle to DETERMINE their beliefs for them. I just want to guide them to something they can anchor themselves with. That's all religion really is anyway..

your an %@#%@++ dude.

regardless of your own beliefs you can't go around and demean other people's belief. childish and laughable is offensive.

yes I will raise my kids into religion. You pass on your morals values etc to your kids and religion is one of them.

during adolescence when your thinking on your own your kid can then make their own decision on there thoughts on religion.

Back
Top Bottom