Is it right to raise a child into your religion? Thoughts?

My girl brought this up out of the clear blue sky as I'm enjoying my footlong in the foodcourt at the mall this evening. I'm 22 so it goes without saying even the mention of kids bugs me out, but she takes it a step further talking about how her kids (presumably OURS in this hypothetical scenario) are going to be raised Christian, will attend church, read the Bible, etc. I almost choked. My childhood was not defined by any one particular religious leaning, I've developed my own loose spiritual ideas which are ever evolving. I also feel it's a person's right to have a choice in the matter and not be indoctrinated into some spiritual path I may agree with, nor the Christian +%*# my girl was brainwashed into. Talk of religion inevitably leads to the same conclusion with us, her upset and crying and me frustrated yet again. All I said was the story of Jesus was "laughable" and "childish". She took offense. I digress.. Without getting into our own personal beliefs, what are your thoughts on the broader issue at hand, NT

My girl brought this up out of the clear blue sky as I'm enjoying my footlong in the foodcourt at the mall this evening. I'm 22 so it goes without saying even the mention of kids bugs me out, but she takes it a step further talking about how her kids (presumably OURS in this hypothetical scenario) are going to be raised Christian, will attend church, read the Bible, etc. I almost choked. My childhood was not defined by any one particular religious leaning, I've developed my own loose spiritual ideas which are ever evolving. I also feel it's a person's right to have a choice in the matter and not be indoctrinated into some spiritual path I may agree with, nor the Christian +%*# my girl was brainwashed into. Talk of religion inevitably leads to the same conclusion with us, her upset and crying and me frustrated yet again. All I said was the story of Jesus was "laughable" and "childish". She took offense. I digress.. Without getting into our own personal beliefs, what are your thoughts on the broader issue at hand, NT

My girl brought this up out of the clear blue sky as I'm enjoying my footlong in the foodcourt at the mall this evening. I almost choked. 
smug7.jpg

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

My girl brought this up out of the clear blue sky as I'm enjoying my footlong in the foodcourt at the mall this evening. I almost choked. 

laugh.gif
No but seriously.

btw that was a layup. come harder than that next time.

all *%%$

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

laugh.gif
No but seriously.

btw that was a layup. come harder than that next time.

all *%%$

Nah, I'll teach them something from the bible only if I want to illustrate a point. I'm not going to live and die by that book though.g

Nah, I'll teach them something from the bible only if I want to illustrate a point. I'm not going to live and die by that book though.g

Seriously though,

The wife will more than likely take on that role, if not her, then the grandparents WILL. It doesn't bother me, I can give my opinion about the whole thing, and show them what proof or lack thereof when they're old enough to understand.

Seriously though,

The wife will more than likely take on that role, if not her, then the grandparents WILL. It doesn't bother me, I can give my opinion about the whole thing, and show them what proof or lack thereof when they're old enough to understand.

Originally Posted by al3x89

if sports is a religion, then yes.
sports seem like religion to some people, even had people tell me it was their religion.
this is a actually a good topic 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by al3x89

if sports is a religion, then yes.
sports seem like religion to some people, even had people tell me it was their religion.
this is a actually a good topic 
laugh.gif

*DEAD* @ the opening sentence.
Damn that's a rough situation right there my friend...
*Cedric The Entertainer*Iono what to tell ya!*Cedric The Entertainer*

*DEAD* @ the opening sentence.
Damn that's a rough situation right there my friend...
*Cedric The Entertainer*Iono what to tell ya!*Cedric The Entertainer*

One of the reason religion especially the Abrahamic ones I believe is because you are dealing with a book that's that's giving you.a blueprint for basically everything. How to be a "proper" man, woman, or child. How to treat your neighbor and how to conduct yourself during war. Add that fact some people feel the need to believe in something bigger than themselves and you have something that is marketable. I say that to say you don't have to follow a religion to be a civilized human being. #$!$ look at some of the things that have been done in the name of religion. It's not the end all. Your reality may not necessarily be someone else's reality.

One of the reason religion especially the Abrahamic ones I believe is because you are dealing with a book that's that's giving you.a blueprint for basically everything. How to be a "proper" man, woman, or child. How to treat your neighbor and how to conduct yourself during war. Add that fact some people feel the need to believe in something bigger than themselves and you have something that is marketable. I say that to say you don't have to follow a religion to be a civilized human being. #$!$ look at some of the things that have been done in the name of religion. It's not the end all. Your reality may not necessarily be someone else's reality.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

But do you think a child can understand at a young age?

I think the parents should read it to be "proper" parents and if the child grows up wanting to learn more then you teach but to just raise a kid on it I feel is wrong. But that's just me....the atheist.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

But do you think a child can understand at a young age?

I think the parents should read it to be "proper" parents and if the child grows up wanting to learn more then you teach but to just raise a kid on it I feel is wrong. But that's just me....the atheist.

I will bring it into their life but I wont shove it down their throat. I'm more spiritual than religious & I came into that all on my own. Most people that have had to choke it down end up going way left with their life.

I will bring it into their life but I wont shove it down their throat. I'm more spiritual than religious & I came into that all on my own. Most people that have had to choke it down end up going way left with their life.

Back
Top Bottom