IS NIKETALK NEW LAYOUT TRASH???? THREAD

IS THE LAYOUT TRASH

• Total voters
yall ghetto af if yall dont like this layout

man, even da garbage waste land Sneakertalk.yuku.com at da point we migrated to huddler around 2013 looks better on mobile than Niketalk does in 2019...

Screenshot_20190929-181414.png
sneakertalk when Niketalk pulled anchor on Yuku.com

Screenshot_20190929-181332.png
da same post in Niketalk 2019.

da ish looks we on now looks inferior...less information/stats, and just compressed.

why couldn't they just slightly tweak instead of a full overhaul?

this is no question da worst NT has looked in its history, and i been lurking around since da XI forum, Pre Retro section, and pre Sahara deserts known as da regional forums.

wdym the new format looks sooo much better.

i dont need someones ****** avatar taking up like 20% of my screen. nor do i need that text wrapping.

wdym the new format looks sooo much better.

how is it better, when major functionality is lost when you go from desktop to mobile ( text resizing certain stats, dates, organizational grid) and da layout feels squashed.

this new layout lost iconic niketalk design language, now it just looks like a regular generic forum that just happens to have niketalk information..

let's be very clear, da last overhaul of niketalk was universally heralded as a success, everyone loved it. It was da best of every previous incarnation of niketalk brought together into a harmonious mixture that gave us new features as well as paid homage to previous iterations of niketalk as far as design language & functionality.

da last iteration of desktop niketalk versus mobile niketalk was virtually identical in feel and user interface...you can't say da same thing now.

My only gripe is not being able to pick a specific page before entering a thread.

da rolling animation cycling thru pages is gone, and that was on both mobile & desktop. we're back to 2003 in that respect ?‍♂️..

How do you get to your last read post?
Just click on the thread when you're on w/e forum you're in.

For me that's something that's remained consistent. Any thread I've entered in before when I click on again always takes me to the last post I read.

Last edited:
Just click on the thread when you're on a/e forum you're in.

For me that's something that's remained consistent. Any thread I've entered in before when I click on again always takes me to the last post I read.

No, it must of been a recent thread you had visited.

Fools thread booted me to page 1.

I appreciate everyone's patience and feedback. If someone is passionate in their objections to a certain change, that comes from a strong attachment to the community and an investment in the status quo. We're grateful and appreciative of the depth of feeling many of you have for the community. This is not something we're doing to you, we've been doing this with you. We invited users to join our beta test weeks ago. Everyone had a chance to apply. Nearly all of those who applied were invited to a test site and nearly all of the feedback we received was positive. We made a variety of improvements based on the feedback we received then, and will continue to do so moving forward.

Different people want different things, and balancing all of the various preferences and use cases for our diverse community is no simple task, but we're not looking to stand idle. We'll continue working with you to improve the experience as best we can.

As it seems that some people have already forgotten, this is what NikeTalk looked like on mobile before the change:

image_from_ios (59).png

I'm not sure where some of you are getting the idea that NikeTalk mobile had postbits (user avatars, etc.) to the left of posts. That may be the result of a very specific device configuration or resolution and does not reflect the mobile experience that most users had - or would want - on the previous iteration of the site.

There's simply not enough horizontal screen space to indent post content like we do on desktop or landscape mode. Long posts would look ridiculous. Nor did the previous version of the site show a user's reaction totals or join date for mobile users. Some people are complaining that user avatars are massive now (on low DPI devices, presumably) and you can't see many posts without scrolling as it is. If we show all of that information - which was not visible on mobile previously - that problem will intensify.

It reminds me of our last migration, when some users vehemently objected to the changes until they were shown a side by side comparison.

Those of you wondering if anyone actually asked for the thread image gallery feature may want to revisit this thread from 2017: https://niketalk.com/threads/welcome-to-the-new-niketalk.664249/

I don't need to cherry pick. You can look through that entire thread and see how many people mentioned that feature in particular. It is no exaggeration to say that it had been our top request since the move.

Bear in mind, we have to serve all NikeTalk users, and this thread is being made in the General forum, which skews much older than our other forums and involves topics that are not as grounded in visual media as sneaker threads. If you're a sneaker fan (and some of you can at least remember what that was like) looking for pictures of the latest colorway of a model you're interested in, gaining this shortcut to see photos - now arranged with the most recently added photos shown first - is a tremendous time saver for you.

There was also a thread comparable to this one in the General forum at the time of our last move filled with complaints as well, in case nostalgia has led you to believe that the 2017 update was somehow universally embraced. As someone that criticism was directed towards, I can assure that it was emphatically not. Even the move away from Yuku, which had fallen into a state of utter neglect and disrepair by its incompetent owners, was called the "end" of NikeTalk.

We'll continue to make adjustments based on everyone's feedback, just as we did in 2017, and in 2012. Page numbers will return this week in forum view on mobile. We're going to look at making the "full width" option the default on desktop, so it doesn't have to be selected via the toggle switch at the bottom right of the page, which some people haven't noticed.

We'll also take a look at adding some sort of backdrop to quotes, but we may limit that to the OG theme as it takes away from the clean look of the current default and that may be something that people become acclimated to over time.

We had to update from what was an outdated software version, if not for security reasons (and that is more than reason enough), then for the possibility of future improvement. That version is no longer supported by the developers. It made no sense to try and build our own fork from a dead version of a platform that otherwise remains in active development just to keep things the same. Technology moves forward. Display resolutions will only continue to increase. If you have an ultra widescreen desktop or a 4k+ monitor, the old theme simply would not work well.

If we had to make a change - and we did - why not invest in something that is forward-looking rather than stuck in the past? People accepted the sidebar for years on Huddler at 1080p resolutions or lower, and screen space will only increase with pixel density and reduced panel costs. Bringing that back allows us to add new features to help make large discussions easier to use. The thread gallery is one such feature, but it could also be used to provide an index of sorts to allow you to jump between events or topics in a large thread. If you're in the NBA season thread, such a feature could allow you to jump straight to the start of the season or the trade deadline. In a sneaker thread, you could jump to the first page where a particular colorway is released or revealed. NikeTalk did not achieve perfection in 2017 - as we were so often, and loudly, reminded. To keep moving forward, we have to update our technology, and the old theme was not compatible with the new software.

It's essential to listen to everyone's feedback, but we need to take a sober, measured approach, knowing that there will always be resistance to change. Historically, if we overreacted to the small but vocal group of people who bitterly opposed every single change, NikeTalk would still look like this:

3500x7000px-LL-095bb80a_NTfrontpagecirca2000.png

I don't watch threads and I haven't had to.

And I cant pick a page to go to.

It's a lot of threads bout to die off this.
For me ever since it was introduced when we jumped to huddler, any thread I would spend time in or post in would just automatically be watched.

Picking a page to go to might be disabled but you can still navigate with the arrows at the bottom and top. And if you have to just edit the page # in the address bar at the top.

Last edited:
For me ever since it was introduced qhen we jumped to huddmer, any thread I would spend time in or post in would just automatically be watched.

Picking a page to go to might be disabled but you can still navigate with the arrows at the bottom and top. And if you have to just edit the page # in the address bar at the top.
If you press the xx of yy page number button it brings box up where you can specify what page you want to jump to

but we're not looking to stand idle. We'll continue working with you to improve the experience as best we can

we'll see...

We had to update from what was an outdated software version, if not for security reasons (and that is more than reason enough), then for the possibility of future improvement. That version is no longer supported by the developers. It made no sense to try and build our own fork from a dead version of a platform that otherwise remains in active development just to keep things the same. Technology moves forward. Display resolutions will only continue to increase. If you have an ultra widescreen desktop or a 4k+ monitor, the old theme simply would not work well.

this is da type of transparency that should've been highlighted in da 1st place...we appreciate that.

In a sneaker thread, you could jump to the first page where a particular colorway is released or revealed

this doesn't address folks dumping new info into da abyss of massive threads instead of creating new threads...why won't u move such threads in showcase threads and leave current sneaker section exclusively for NEW news?

If you’re running the new IOS, you should be able to change the fonts size for your browser.

2C3000E6-2DCB-43C6-94F6-77F9B848EFF1.jpeg

Feel like I wasted the early preview of the site and overlooked this feature I enjoy on other sites.

While searching for even more real estate, can we get the header to hide when we scroll?

Back
Top Bottom