Is Social Media Destroying Society? Former Facebook Exec Says 'Yes'

Think about how much more productive humanity would be had social media never existed. The average person spends approximately 17 hours a week indulging in social media. Some people have the intense need to be validated by others, so they post pictures exclusively for "likes". While others just simply want to WATCH how others live. Either way, it essentially becomes a progressive addiction.

It's just a strange dynamic. At what point is it the person's/parent's responsibility to limit usage. It's the company's job to make it good. Just like Krispy Kreme makes donuts good, but we know sugar is addictive. Whose fault is it if someone eats a dozen a day?
My boy works for a popular soda company and he was telling me about all the criticism they get for pumping the drinks full of sugar... It's not like it's a secret tho.

Last edited:

It's just a strange dynamic. At what point is it the person's/parent's responsibility to limit usage. It's the company's job to make it good. Just like Krispy Kreme makes donuts good, but we know sugar is addictive. Whose fault is it if someone eats a dozen a day?
My boy works for a popular soda company and he was telling me about all the criticism they get for pumping the drinks full of sugar... It's not like it's a secret tho.

It's all the person's/parent's responsibility. When I was a kid my mom limited how often I could play video games. None during the school week, Only on the weekend, after my chores were done, and only for 2hrs at a time and if my grades weren't right I wasn't touching it.

It's all the person's/parent's responsibility. When I was a kid my mom limited how often I could play video games. None during the school week, Only on the weekend, after my chores were done, and only for 2hrs at a time and if my grades weren't right I wasn't touching it.

This is most parents nowadays… the phone is the coin

3DB93BD1-E995-4399-8D17-D64D1AE8AF78.gif

What's more common exactly? The whole exchange has me confused. Twitter is just full of fake smart, woke, people now.

Used to be a highly entertaining app. Hate what it has become.

Essentially dude said he was attracted to white women, she took that as him hating black women & viewing them as inferior..... only for people to pull up tweets of her own speaking down on black men & thirsting over white guys.

The common theme seems to be that a low of these "woke" word jumbo type of black people do all this sensational **** for SM, but it's often shown that they usually have some type of strange affinity towards whiteness.

Twitter is an idiot snake pit.

-foe

Yea if your using Twitter for anything other than Comedy & getting a glimpse of what the general perception of things are i would imagine Twitter being unbearable. I will say the ability to block certain phrases is a God send

Yea if your using Twitter for anything other than Comedy & getting a glimpse of what the general perception of things are i would imagine Twitter being unbearable. I will say the ability to block certain phrases is a God send
I would say even using Twitter to get a general glimpse of the general perception is faulty. In the same way that I don't think people truly mean what they say when they're drunk, I don't think the things you see on Twitter are accurate reflections.

Some say that the things you see from people hiding behind their keyboards is an accurate reflection of how those people feel with their inhibitions removed. Others think that the people hiding behind their keyboards are trolls who don't actually even believe the venom & vile they're spreading. I think accuracy is somewhere between those 2 opinions.

-foe

I would say even using Twitter to get a general glimpse of the general perception is faulty. In the same way that I don't think people truly mean what they say when they're drunk, I don't think the things you see on Twitter are accurate reflections.

Some say that the things you see from people hiding behind their keyboards is an accurate reflection of how those people feel with their inhibitions removed. Others think that the people hiding behind their keyboards are trolls who don't actually even believe the venom & vile they're spreading. I think accuracy is somewhere between those 2 opinions.

-foe
I now only have Clippers and Dodgers related follows on Twitter and spend no more than 5-10 minutes on there at a time. Not on there every day. With that formula, I find it tolerable and occasionally useful/enjoyable.

-foe

Oh yea definitely, general perception was probably a bad choice of words considering how wild Twitter takes get at points. Moreso a view into the heads of demos i may not be too familiar with.

I 100% agree that usually SM post are extra & a bit exagerated for attention, but as you stated these mindsets do exist outside of SM & sometimes it's helpful to recognize that & keep it in the back of my head.

I think moreso now than ever we're starting to see what was small internet pockets & thoughts spreading further & further ito regular everyday society

Back
Top Bottom