Is Wayne a legend? Or will he ever be?

Originally Posted by NEIGHB0RH00D

Originally Posted by dipsett247

i dont think 50 was as big as wayne is right now.

r1elo6.jpg

LOL!

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

Do you guys understand what it takes to be a legend?

That word isn't to be thrown around lightly.

Wayne is nowhere near a legend at this point in his career.
smh.gif
THIS there are few actual Legends

People are getting who they favs are confused with legend. A legend is an undeniable notoriety/acknowledgement or recognition. Like i dont particularly carefor the beatles but to say they arent legends is stupid. I aint feeling elvis at all what so ever but i wouldnt say something a stupid as he isnt a legend. Asfar as wayne go he pretty much is on his way 2 legend status.

What kills me is ppl say stuff like big l,pun, etc are legends(they are great rappers). They werent even household names at the peak of there careers so howcan they be legends. Like mj is a legend, u can go ask anyone have u heard of mj or could u name a mj song and they could. Same cant be said about pun, krs1,epmd, etc. 2pac is a legend, folks who dont listen/never owned a rap album know about/of him. I dont care about rolling stones but i know who they are and if iheard a song of theirs i would recognize it. You ask the average person who big daddy kane is or slick rick or special ed and could u name a song, they gonnalook at u crazy.

Now if people wanna debate whether he is a hip hop purist fans based legend thats different.

what makes a legend is 3 things:
greatness
passion
respect

wayne is a great. NOT THE GREATEST. but a great at our time right now.
you know he has passion. look at the tats on his face and all the songs he makes.
and he has respect. hes worked with over 30 artists. everyone wants to work with wayne.

so tell me.. what else is dude missing to be a legend?

all i know is ... lil wayne has more "good material" than any other rapper not named scarface ... hes put about about 48 thousand trillion songs andhe goes hard on like 350 of them ...

Originally Posted by LilStarZ07

all i know is ... lil wayne has more "good material" than any other rapper not named scarface ... hes put about about 48 thousand trillion songs and he goes hard on like 350 of them ...

Good job contradicting yourself there bud

all i know is ... lil wayne has more "good material" than any other rapper not named scarface ... hes put about about 48 thousand trillion songs and he goes hard on like 350 of them ...

eek.gif
laugh.gif

its a numbers game ... wayne puts out 10 songs and 1 is a banger ... if he puts out a 10,000 songs 1 thousand are bangers ... he has mor ebangers than yourfavprite rapper not named scarface ...

its a numbers game ... wayne puts out 10 songs and 1 is a banger ... if he puts out a 10,000 songs 1 thousand are bangers ... he has mor ebangers than your favprite rapper not named scarface ...

roll.gif

how is wayne not going to be considered a legend? He has good music to bac himself up plus the current wayne is not really quality at all but he is immenslypopular. he's definatly a

legend and thats ok as long he dont come near that G.O.A.T discussion then i got a problem.

Wayne was a street legend (even before Carter III's commercial success) because he revolutionized the mixtape game.

name another guy who has mixtape songs that are bigger than most rappers lead singles.

you can play 'Cannon' anywhere.. hell, play it in the middle of the suburbs right now, and white kids will be going crazy rapping every word. Drought 3is probably the biggest mixtape of our lifetimes. back in late '07, you could be out in public saying a line from D3 to yourself, and somebody standing bywould finish the line for you. Wayne murdered some of those beats so badly, people forgot who the original songs were by.

Wayne set a new standard when it comes to grinding in the studio and putting out music for the people.

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

Wayne was a street legend (even before Carter III's commercial success) because he revolutionized the mixtape game.

name another guy who has mixtape songs that are bigger than most rappers lead singles.

you can play 'Cannon' anywhere.. hell, play it in the middle of the suburbs right now, and white kids will be going crazy rapping every word. Drought 3 is probably the biggest mixtape of our lifetimes. back in late '07, you could be out in public saying a line from D3 to yourself, and somebody standing by would finish the line for you. Wayne murdered some of those beats so badly, people forgot who the original songs were by.

Wayne set a new standard when it comes to grinding in the studio and putting out music for the people.
Some of this I agree with to a certain extent...the rest...

%+$@ NO

I remember on D2 Wayne spit over a lot of dipset beats but to folks in the south who don't listen to DipSet aside from their big singles they didn'tknow this and assumed it was Wayne's track. Drought 3 did have cats buzzin...no doubt about that.

This whole revolutionize mixtape thing though....um does G-Unit ring a bell? Fabolous and Desert Storm possibly?

This *+%# comes down to opinions though...to some folks they think he's already the best rapper ever so you already know how they feel when it comes tothis legend topic
grin.gif

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

ask yourself this -

in 20 or so years, when you wanna play some hip hop for some children, maybe your own, and explain to them what made hip hop music special, show them the key figures, the key moments, the memorable timeless songs that you will be able to play and enjoy until the end of time...

...will you play them Lil Wayne? Will you?

Quoted so everyone saying Wayne is a legend can see...

Originally Posted by HipHopDoc09

how is wayne not going to be considered a legend? He has good music to bac himself up plus the current wayne is not really quality at all but he is immensly popular. he's definatly a

legend and thats ok as long he dont come near that G.O.A.T discussion then i got a problem.

But 50 back then was waaaay more popular then wayne right now.
and 50 back then had
pimp.gif
music. even better then wayne.
So i guess 50 is a legend too, right?

If Wayne never went platinum or even gold for that matter he would not even be considered a great rapper. He gets over on popularity and not talent. Sayingthat he's going to be a legend because he sold a lot of records is saying that Britney Spears is a better singer than Mariah Carey for her albums sales.He's just a pop star in Rap and his record company knows how to market him right. As for legendary status he will never be that. He didn't changeanything in the game. And I know everyone is going to say that he did, but believe me he didn't. He's what Nelly was 10 years ago, a great hook andchorus guy rapping about what's hot right now. And yes 50 was bigger than Wayne is right now. 50 took over when GRODT came out. None of the Carter'shad the pull that album did and still does today.

jc619er wrote:

If Wayne never went platinum or even gold for that matter he would not even be considered a great rapper. He gets over on popularity and not talent. Saying that he's going to be a legend because he sold a lot of records is saying that Britney Spears is a better singer than Mariah Carey for her albums sales. He's just a pop star in Rap and his record company knows how to market him right. As for legendary status he will never be that. He didn't change anything in the game. And I know everyone is going to say that he did, but believe me he didn't. He's what Nelly was 10 years ago, a great hook and chorus guy rapping about what's hot right now. And yes 50 was bigger than Wayne is right now. 50 took over when GRODT came out. None of the Carter's had the pull that album did and still does today.

Britney Spears is a better singer than Mariah Carey for her albums sales.

Um that is a horrible analogy. One brittany isnt more popular then mariah. And two mariah is the highest selling female artist of all time lol $@+ areu talking bout.

As for legendary status he will never be that. He didn't change anything in the game.

Revolutionizing or changing something isnt the only facet of being a legend. So are you saying elvis isnt a legend? He didnt change the game of rock.All he did was bite and steal styles etc of black artist,yet he is hailed the king of rock. He isnt even the greatest rock and roll artist of all time. Hellwill smith off the fresh prince alone will be a legend. Did he change the tv sitcom game?

A legend is known,has a following, popular, wont be forgotten. Recognized by others outside there field/genre. Wayne is becomming a houshold name. If u cantsee that i guess ur blinded by the hate.

I really don't think the dudes who are co-signing him as a legend or 'potential' legend do not understand what a legend really is.

Ppl getting who they like mixed up with legends. Being innovating, different or opinion based favs doesnt mean legend. If wayne keeps it up he will be alegend in music and in rap.

Back
Top Bottom