IT Jobs

Props to all of you getting your Certs and Studying on,  I've been in the IT career for the past 10+ years, and my piece of advice is:

- find a great company where you see growth

Now a days, it isn't about job security since most jobs are either contracted or companies come and go alot quicker.  Get into a tech field that has growth, ie Security, SEO, Firewall/Networking.  These jobs will be here for the next 20+yrs, and the pay is $$$.  Check all the big names in your area:

- paypal

- google

- symantec

- baracuda

- Colleges/Universities

If you can, get a position asap with them.  Doesn't have to be your PRIMARY position, just something to get your feet wet and trust me, with a good company....you'll advance in position quickly and w/bonuses, benefits, vacations, etc (this would be a premium w/other jobs).  Good luck all, and keep the IT field booming.
I have actual hands on SEO experience. Finding a full time job is another story. Everything I find is contract based that pays below market for the average position and its only for a few months.

That's the new wave bro. Many companies would rather contract work instead of hiring people now.

Trust me I know, they don't have to offer contractors benefits either right? Or something like that?
We have benefits. And it's an SCA contract, which actually means they do HAVE to offer benefits or the cash equivalent (IIRC it's like $7.50 per hr worth of) and they have to pay us at least at a certain salary level and can't go below. I have been on the same contract for like 5 yrs, even through 3 different companies. It's not as secure as GS sure, but not as unsecure as they have a reputation for provided you are on a contract doing something useful. Some of the instructors who instruct artillery systems that are obsolete, yea those contracts aren't getting renewed though. I'd like to be a GS, but most of the equivalent jobs around here are starting at GS9 levels and that'd be a paycut

That's the new wave bro. Many companies would rather contract work instead of hiring people now.

Trust me I know, they don't have to offer contractors benefits either right? Or something like that?
We have benefits. And it's an SCA contract, which actually means they do HAVE to offer benefits or the cash equivalent (IIRC it's like $7.50 per hr worth of) and they have to pay us at least at a certain salary level and can't go below. I have been on the same contract for like 5 yrs, even through 3 different companies. It's not as secure as GS sure, but not as unsecure as they have a reputation for provided you are on a contract doing something useful. Some of the instructors who instruct artillery systems that are obsolete, yea those contracts aren't getting renewed though. I'd like to be a GS, but most of the equivalent jobs around here are starting at GS9 levels and that'd be a paycut

Not to mention, it's not like freelancing where there is no benefit guarantee. I've heard government contracts are nice and if u get benefits too, pssh, I'd be on it. Has to be a great way to get your foot in the door if anything.

My only upset is that I waited so long to get into this field. I was so gung ho about law school that I made that my focus, that is until I had an epiphany one night when the house was finally silent (wife and daughter were sleep :lol:) and I realized that the whole lawyer thing is a sinkhole. Will I go to law school, more than likely because law is something I've always wanted to do but until then, I'm tryna get into the IT field. Programming, coding, app development, security, netoworking, etc. Tryna get that Google or federal govt gig :smokin

I'm not about that contractor life
Nor am I. $16/hr before taxes when the minimum for a junior level SEO position is $20 is a HUGE difference. 41,600/yr and 33,280/yr is literally night and day. These companies get in with highway robbery as do startups.

what do you think about taking the sec+ after the a+? you think u should wait and get some work exp first or just go for it?

Honestly, getting an A+ is worthless IMO.

The only way I'd reccomend it is if you have literally no knowledge of computers. Start with either a Network+ or CCNA then move up to the Security +.

Also look into the Certified Ethical Hacker and GIAC Incident response or Penetration testing Certs. These are the certs that employers are actually looking for because they demonstrate knowledge relevant to the specific role you may be applying for. A security plus is more a general security cert.

Nor am I. $16/hr before taxes when the minimum for a junior level SEO position is $20 is a HUGE difference. 41,600/yr and 33,280/yr is literally night and day. These companies get in with highway robbery as do startups.

Dude that's helpdesk money. Entry level network guys pull 50k easily. With a year of networking experience you can easily earn 65-70k a year. Entry level Security guys pull 60k. With a year of experience you could be making 85-90k.

Last edited:
what do you think about taking the sec+ after the a+? you think u should wait and get some work exp first or just go for it?

Honestly, getting an A+ is worthless IMO.

The only way I'd reccomend it is if you have literally no knowledge of computers. Start with either a Network+ or CCNA then move up to the Security +.

Also look into the Certified Ethical Hacker and GIAC Incident response or Penetration testing Certs. These are the certs that employers are actually looking for because they demonstrate knowledge relevant to the specific role you may be applying for. A security plus is more a general security cert.

Dude that's helpdesk money. Entry level network guys pull 50k easily. With a year of networking experience you can easily earn 65-70k a year. Entry level Security guys pull 60k. With a year of experience you could be making 85-90k.

I been feeling that way since I've been studying the stuff. I'm thinkin what job could really need u to be certified in that stuff except for a basic helpdesk or geeksquad gig. I want more than that. I'm not a novice when it comes to computers, I know a lil bit, this A+ material is great for reference info but don't think it's worth $300+. I really want the Network+ or Security + along w/ some MS certs, still gotta research which ones fit what I wanna do tho

Again, I have no experience in this field so you have to excuse my ignorance to salaries. You can also clear high five figures to low six in SEO after some time. Even if you have your certs how do you get experience?

Again, I have no experience in this field so you have to excuse my ignorance to salaries. You can also clear high five figures to low six in SEO after some time. Even if you have your certs how do you get experience?
I'm more or less in the same position as you, except as referenced on the last page I just passed my Security+ exam.

Nearly my entire family is in the IT field. They worked their way up from a help desk position. But after some experience and earning certs, they've worked their way up to become network administrators and engineers, pushing six figures. That's basically the path for me.

On that note, the reason I got the Security+ exam out of the way was my uncle told me he had a position open at his company in DC. Right after I passed the exam, I called him up and got hooked up with the job. :pimp:

Last edited:
A+ is pretty useless, but if you have no experience or any other education in the field it's a good indicator for an entry level job.

A+ is pretty useless, but if you have no experience or any other education in the field it's a good indicator for an entry level job.

Ok, granted, so let me ask u this. What would the disadvantages be that u know of if u skip the A+ and go for the more advanced certs w/o a degree in CS or anyhing of that nature?

That's good and all, but I don't have something waiting for me. I have no problem starting as help desk but I need to be sure I can actually get a gig with no experience or background. It's not that simple. Working on a temp based contract is the last thing I want to do.

I'm more or less in the same position as you, except as referenced on the last page I just passed my Security+ exam.

Nearly my entire family is in the IT field. They worked their way up from a help desk position. But after some experience and earning certs, they've worked their way up to become network administrators and engineers, pushing six figures. That's basically the path for me.

On that note, the reason I got the Security+ exam out of the way was my uncle told me he had a position open at his company in DC. Right after I passed the exam, I called him up and got hooked up with the job. :pimp:

If you don't mind me asking, what kinda job are you working now? Help Desk?...

I don't have experience either, but I'm down for studying & getting my certs if it could lead to something decent (i.e. anything over 40k)

Last edited:
Are you looking to continue with systems admin? or are you looking to move into something security related?

I looking at going more into Policy and planning and maybe going to earn my CISSP. For now, I'm happy where I am at because of the job security and mostly because I got my foot in the door of the GS side. Now it's all about time and experience. And learning more stuff along the way!

If you don't mind me asking, what kinda job are you working now? Help Desk?...

I don't have experience either, but I'm down for studying & getting my certs if it could lead to something decent (i.e. anything over 40k)
Yeah, it'll be a help desk position (that's not the official name of the position I'll be taking though).

Last edited:
True. Besides certs, any other advice how to get into IT w/o a IT background? :nerd:

I'm in the DC area too by the way.

Answers to this question please :nerd:

I'm not in DC, but I'd move for a gig up there (I'm in Hampton Roads). All the entry level gigs out here want 1-2 years of experience. There are a few gigs down here that require Top Secret clearance but I gotta tighten up my credit some more before I think about a TS.

Last edited:

Ok, granted, so let me ask u this. What would the disadvantages be that u know of if u skip the A+ and go for the more advanced certs w/o a degree in CS or anyhing of that nature?

Same as always, experience is King in IT, you don't need a degree. Most won't take a chance on a kid with higher certs and still no experience behind it (some do though, luck of the draw). A **** 1st tier job in helpdesk is worth more than the A+, but like I said if you have nothing of the nature that atleast says you know the basics, by all means get the A+.

True. Besides certs, any other advice how to get into IT w/o a IT background? :nerd:

I'm in the DC area too by the way.

Answers to this question please :nerd:

I'm not in DC, but I'd move for a gig up there (I'm in Hampton Roads). All the entry level gigs out here want 1-2 years of experience. There are a few gigs down here that require Top Secret clearance but I gotta tighten up my credit some more before I think about a TS.

Yeah Hampton roads is not the move unless you're experienced or military. I actually did that move from HR to DC, I got family out here though to help with the transition. I will probably move back to the area, but after I'm done with this degree, come certs, clean credit and keep getting better gigs to spruce up the resume. That or ease into a remote admin position up here where i can live wherever. HR cost of living with DC pay would be phenomenal. I wouldn't stop studying and applying for the entry level gigs, sometimes it's about timing.

Last edited:
I got into an IT position without certifications. I agree that experience is king, even if it was just a technical support position, internship at a startup, ect. 

Dudes is hustling backwards getting CS degrees and getting crap certificationsike A+. CS is for programmers nowadays do CIS if you want to get into the network/security stuff.

And even the. If you just trying to do help desk you don't need a degree for that

I got into an IT position without certifications. I agree that experience is king, even if it was just a technical support position, internship at a startup, ect. 

No doubt, experience is king, it just sucks that u can't get in most gigs w/o experience already. I been applying for this one company in my area for helpdesk and things of that nature, they also have some sort of training/internship position that I applied to which is more of what could get my foot in the door. I'm gon call next week and check on my application.

With that said, I think I'll just put the A+ studying on pause and study for the Network+. I knew most of the stuff already, just didn't know technical terms for some older technology.

Yeah Hampton roads is not the move unless you're experienced or military. I actually did that move from HR to DC, I got family out here though to help with the transition. I will probably move back to the area, but after I'm done with this degree, come certs, clean credit and keep getting better gigs to spruce up the resume. That or ease into a remote admin position up here where i can live wherever. HR cost of living with DC pay would be phenomenal. I wouldn't stop studying and applying for the entry level gigs, sometimes it's about timing.

That's what's up. Yeah I got fam up there too and a bunch of friends. My cousin and old college roommate are in IT up there so I been trying to get them to keep their eyes open for something. I need a change of scenery anyway.

Back
Top Bottom