Jay-Z "Success" Question

Okay.. Before we get started, I got my flame suit on in case this has already been discussed.. I know it's gonna make someone mad inhere prolly

I got American Gangster as soon as I could and I always liked the song Success but it just seemed too familiar? A popular lineeveryone uses is the opening line to Jay's 1st verse...

"I used to give a F__.. Now i could give a F__ less. What do I think of success? It sucks. Too much stress..." & continues on with the verse witha certain flow..

Last night, I was listening to Eminem.. He says this exact lyric.. Jay continues to flow a few bars with Em's style/flow. I'm not sayin there'sanything wrong with it, but I just never saw anyone post about it on here? Normally, NT haters come out the woodworks to show somebody hate lol. Late Pass Meif you must.

I'm not a newbie.. Just a new name
wink.gif

I was going to reply to your post until I noticed your avy. I don't associate with your kind.

Kidding....Jay's been biting lyrics, where you been? Thanks though cause I really couldn't remember where he got that from.

Jay-Z is the greatest BITER alive....and Yes he bit off Eminem....

Jay-Z has bitten off Biggie, Nas, Eminem, Slick Rick, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane (And so has Beanie Sigel...The roc will never learn)....I mean the list goeson....and countless others...

You would think that Jay-Z would stop when Nas brought this to his attention and jay-z said "When I say a BIG verse, I'm just trying to Big up myBrother"....but it looks like Jay still continues to bite...

Very very sad, if you ask me....that you make a career of biting and consider yourself the "Great Rapper ever" and "Michael Jordan of the RapGame"

Rakim didn't bite, Nas didn't bite, Pac didn't bite....

But it seems with rappers nowadays biting is not that big of a deal...
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Jay-Z has been off Biggie, Nas, Eminem, Slick Rick, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane....I mean the list goes on....and countless others...

You would think that Jay-Z would stop when Nas brought this to his attention and jay-z said "When I say a BIG verse, I'm just trying to Big up my Brother"....but it looks like Jay still continues to bite...

Very very sad, if you ask me....that you make a career of biting and consider yourself the "Great Rapper ever" and "Michael Jordan of the Rap Game"

But it seems with rappers nowadays biting is that big of a deal...
tired.gif

Its true that Jay-Z has bitten countless rappers but...Anyone in here and I mean ANYONE, tell me one memorable/hip-hopquotable Jay-Z has spit that is bitten. If you take up all of his bitten lines he still has all of his most memorable lines that makes the best rapper to date.

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Jay-Z has been off Biggie, Nas, Eminem, Slick Rick, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane....I mean the list goes on....and countless others...

You would think that Jay-Z would stop when Nas brought this to his attention and jay-z said "When I say a BIG verse, I'm just trying to Big up my Brother"....but it looks like Jay still continues to bite...

Very very sad, if you ask me....that you make a career of biting and consider yourself the "Great Rapper ever" and "Michael Jordan of the Rap Game"

tired.gif

Its true that Jay-Z has bitten countless rappers but...Anyone in here and I mean ANYONE, tell me one memorable/hip-hop quotable Jay-Z has spit that is bitten. If you take up all of his bitten lines he still has all of his most memorable lines that makes the best rapper to date.

Regardless, biting = lack of creativity. Unless you think he's "shouting out" Eminem on this track.
eyes.gif

My friend (Eminem stan) pointed that out to me when he first heard "Success", but I never made a topic about it because I knew all it was going toget was Jay-Z hate. But me being a Jay fan, I'm kinda on edge because I wanna defend him because he has so many quotables himself, but I just hate how heblatantly took allthose bars, and didn't give any props to Em though the song. I'm sureEm probably doesn't have a problem with it because it'sa respect thing, but I thought I was going to get through a whole Hov album without any bitten lines.
tired.gif

I think Jay is a great rapper, but you cannot be considered the best ever when you bite from you peers or your colleagues. Jay-Z basically was trying to makeit like it was cool to bite.....since Jay-Z did it....its alright to bite.

It is never alright to bite...

Don't feed me that BS..."Well all of Jay's memorable lines aren't bitten"...*****....

``Your publishing should go to Mrs. Wallace``
``How many more of Biggies Rhyme's is going to come out your fat lips``
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by digitalO22

tired.gif

Its true that Jay-Z has bitten countless rappers but...Anyone in here and I mean ANYONE, tell me one memorable/hip-hop quotable Jay-Z has spit that is bitten. If you take up all of his bitten lines he still has all of his most memorable lines that makes the best rapper to date.

Regardless, biting = lack of creativity. Unless you think he's "shouting out" Eminem on this track.
eyes.gif

This was addressed awhile ago when AG first leaked.. but seriously, lets look. Big, Rakim, Em, Big Daddy Kane... does anyone see a pattern here? Incase you dont.. LEGENDS. You dont see a Chingy, a Quan, a Lil Flip.. you see every line in question that Jay spit was taken from a legend. Why is it yourbrains cant process the fact that this man is paying homage? So what Nas or Rakim didnt do it? Rap is an art where one expresses themselves differently.

If I was an OG, I'd feel more flattered if I heard the new generation spittin a line of mine versus them just sayin "Yea, I mess with dude. He alegend". Yall know music is full of sheep. Jay spittin that Em line tells Em that Jay actually listens to his music, REMEMBERS the bars, and caredenough to borrow it because it fit the concept perfectly.

If you dont like Jay, its cool. But dont throw out logic to make weak arguments.

^Thank you.

Don't feed me that BS..."Well all of Jay's memorable lines aren't bitten"...*****....
My dude it's not that serious. It's actually pretty simple, name ONE just one of Jay-Z'spunchlines that is bitten. It shouldn't be so hard if he bites all the time, right? If you can do that thenyou've made ur point. But until then...
eyes.gif

Jay-Z stans are trying to rewrite history and hit me with the logic of "Oh he's just trying to pay homage".....*****....So because he bites fromLegends...it aint biting and it makes it ok?

Very naive and gullible people you are......

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Originally Posted by digitalO22

tired.gif

eyes.gif
This was addressed awhile ago when AG first leaked.. but seriously, lets look. Big, Rakim, Em, Big Daddy Kane... does anyone see a pattern here? In case you dont.. LEGENDS. You dont see a Chingy, a Quan, a Lil Flip.. you see every line in question that Jay spit was taken from a legend. Why is it your brains cant process the fact that this man is paying homage? So what Nas or Rakim didnt do it? Rap is an art where one expresses themselves differently.

If I was an OG, I'd feel more flattered if I heard the new generation spittin a line of mine versus them just sayin "Yea, I mess with dude. He a legend". Yall know music is full of sheep. Jay spittin that Em line tells Em that Jay actually listens to his music, REMEMBERS the bars, and cared enough to borrow it because it fit the concept perfectly.

If you dont like Jay, its cool. But dont throw out logic to make weak arguments.

You're right, rap is an art, so if you need other people's material are you really an artist, or just a business maaaaan?

Em and Jay are from the same generation, and if he really wants to flatter him, do it in a form of a paycheck for using rhymes he wrote.

personally i think, biting is only uneacceptable when u bite a whole verse. how many rappers hav started a verse with someone else's line and thencontinued to spit their own *&$% the rest of the verse? Jay does it a lot and is really high profile so people always latch onto the instances when he doesignoring it when other less high profile rappers do.

You're right and thats what makes it worse he has so many great original lines yet he bites, it never made sense to me at all I really hatethat about him as a rapper. Bitting is not right, if he atleast showed that it was an Em line or anyother line he bit from the countless other rappers it wouldgive a lil respect back to what he was tryin to do with the verse
This was addressed awhile ago when AG first leaked.. but seriously, lets look. Big, Rakim, Em, Big Daddy Kane... does anyone see a pattern here? In case you dont.. LEGENDS.
It doesn't make it right. Biting is wrong if he wanted to really pay homage dedicate a song to them and talk about how theyinfluenced/affected him, biting their rhymes is not another way of paying homage.
If I was an OG, I'd feel more flattered if I heard the new generation spittin a line of mine versus them just sayin "Yea, I mess with dude. He a legend". Yall know music is full of sheep.
The same sheep that'll come up to me n say nah Jigga said that 1st Biggie was biting
eek.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
There's many other ways to show respect to legends or ya peers in the game thanbiting their bars without any recognition to them. To ppl that say you should already kno those lines what about the younger ppl that dont listen to them orppl in general who may not just be feeling those artists enough to kno all their bars? Shhh is not right trying to make biting ok
You're right, rap is an art, so if you need other people's material are you really an artist, or just a business maaaaan?

Em and Jay are from the same generation, and if he really wants to flatter him, do it in a form of a paycheck for using rhymes he wrote.

Truth
People are so stupid. What % of Jay-Z's lyrics are "bitten" from previous rappers? Maybe .05 percent?
It should be 0% it doesn't make sense AT ALL for rappers to straight jack another rapper's lines when you're good enough or betterthan the rapper. It shows a insane amount of no originality when he does it no creativity like you can't express what you wanna say in other words orsomething when we all kno Ol Man Jigga is better than that. I mean what if Mary J. Blige went around singing India Arie's Video or Erykah Badu's BagLady claiming she wrote it? "Ohhh nawww Mary just paying homage"
smh.gif

Basically what Im trying to say is

It is never alright to bite...

smokin.gif

to quote another line in that song

"is this what success all about? a bunch on N's acting like b's with big mouths?"

jay spit an em line. get the e.f over it.

Wait a minute wait a minute ...I don't mind the jay-z hate ...but Nas and eminem and Pac have all bitten lines ...

I guess yall to young to understand that though or your hate for jayz is that thick

Case 1 - I am what ever you say I am if I wasn't then why would I say I am - emimen year 2000 - bit off of Rakim

Case 2 - Got yourself a gun same lyric which would be stolen from Rakim

Case 3 - like pun said you not even in mi clasa - nas stole from Big Pun

Case 4 - eminem on +%$#* please 2 - ah nawl big slim dogg eighty pound balls big 6 inch long, back up in the heezy baby he's shady - copied from snoop

Case 5 - Look at the XXL every month to see that every rapper steals and also tally how many have stole from Jayz

1. Fat joe
2. Big pun
3. Lil wayne
4. Jadakiss
5. Remy ma
6. Young chris
7. Beanie sigel
8. Angie martinez
9. Lil kim
10. Jim jones

And I know I'm forgetting ALOT

I don't think Jay "bites" with the intent of wanting others to think he wrote the line, but I think he assumes people know hip-hop's historyand already know these lines.

^Its not right FOR ANY RAPPER TO BITE I shoulda made that clear

Kim dont even write her rhymes(I also got a big problem with rappers who have ghost writers and then wanna claim their nice"
indifferent.gif
)
Angie Martinez?
roll.gif
Im talkin bout actual good rappers like Ol Man Jigga whocan be named amongst the greats
Jim Jones and Wayne are trash
Beanie Sigel clearly followin Jigga lead
NaS clearly said "like Pun" givin recognition to whose rhyme it is thats givin props
The rest of that list I dont really care about Joe allegedly has a ghost writer too, Pun I'd have to look into every instance where a rhyme was bitten tosee if he gave indication as to original line is from. If he did tho I lose respect from him as a MC
Case 4 - eminem on +%$#* please 2 - ah nawl big slim dogg eighty pound balls big 6 inch long, back up in the heezy baby he's shady - copied from snoop

roll.gif
Yo you do know Snoop was on the same song with him and thisis 1 instance where its clear whose line it is he even mimicked snoop's voice. 1st time I heard I laughed at it cuz it was clear what he was doin and ifyou're gonna consider that biting with the other examples then I'd say thats the only time a bitten line was made creative. The other Em line he tookfrom Ra was in the hook and it doesn't make him exempt but all through out hip hop DJs sample rappers voices for hooks so its possible Ra got paid.

Biting is never ok no matter who the rapper is. Its kinda like Barry Bonds n steroids you its a problem cuz dude is a great player breakin records and his hallof fame quality. You think the comissioner is gonna be mad cuz some bum in triple A league is using steroids? Its still wrong but they are not important to thegame its still wrong tho but cmon you think I care how many lines Jim Jones bites from Pac? He aint of importance and I never heard him praise his lyrics likehe's a genius

smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom