Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

I’m definitely looking for a new gig in 2018. Been at my current job for 9 years and felt like i wasted 5 years there.

Let’s all get new jobs in 2018
Been at mine for 8 in Feb and wasted 8 here. The Coke gig fell through for whatever reason but I'm optimistic that I'll find something new this year, and soon.

Got an interview for a higher paying graphic design gig on Monday. I work a regular 9-5 schedule. They want to interview at 3. HR at my current gig is off on Fridays. What can I say to them Monday morning to leave early :nerd: I was thinking doctor's appointment

Got an interview for a higher paying graphic design gig on Monday. I work a regular 9-5 schedule. They want to interview at 3. HR at my current gig is off on Fridays. What can I say to them Monday morning to leave early :nerd: I was thinking doctor's appointment
That's what I always said.

Flu season pa......tell them you wanna make sure you straight so you going to the doctor

Got laid off last Thursday. Applied for unemployment and been applying everywhere possible. I have a BS in Industrial Engineering...I forgot how hard it is to find an engineering job. Every place has experience requirements that seems like you can only get if you already worked there :smh:
If you're down to relocate look in the Seattle area. so much industrial engineering jobs because of the Aerospace industry

Got the job with Google :pimp: $22/hr starts on the 29th. That uber grind is cool but not good for daily use. Good to know those days are numbered.

Has anyone ever applied for a state job? That entire process seems soooo long and tedious, from the 4 paragraph long vague description to all of the other necessary requirements. I get exhausted just looking at it.

Got the job with Google :pimp: $22/hr starts on the 29th. That uber grind is cool but not good for daily use. Good to know those days are numbered.

Has anyone ever applied for a state job? That entire process seems soooo long and tedious, from the 4 paragraph long vague description to all of the other necessary requirements. I get exhausted just looking at it.
No to the second paragraph.

Congrats on getting the job Fam. Remember the grind doesn't stop just because you got the job. Keep striving for greatness fam

Excuses I've used:
- Doctor / dentist appointment
- I have bad diarrhea

Yo NTers, I need help. I have never written a cover letter when applying and I need to know what do you guys put for your cover letters?

I googled cover letter and they gave some decent formats in images. It tells you what to put in each paragraph.

Yo NTers, I need help. I have never written a cover letter when applying and I need to know what do you guys put for your cover letters?

For coverletters I take a narrative approach. it's a selling tool for the resume and so I want the cover letter to set up the reader to understand the resume they will eventually look at and I want fill any 'gaps' i may have in the resume. With that i open the cover letter with a short paragraph that i call my philosophy -- it tends to 'marry' soft skills and hard skills. if the job I am applying to I have strong work experience then the 2nd para is focused on the experience and how it maps to the position. the third paragraph is crafted around education (or if I lead with education in the previous para it is experience). For this para I always go with classes that weren't deck courses and something major/minor specific. Also with both the ed/expereince paras I draw on soft skills as well as hard skills to link back to my philosophy opening paragraph. The last paragraph is proforma .... with how I have only spoken about some of things that make me qualified and how i would like an opportunity to further discuss my qualifications -- yada yada.

Aye, don't really post much on the forums let alone In this thread but just wanted to tell somone that I just recently got a job at Pepsi making 20.23 an hour.

After being out of work since early November after getting fired from this cable company down in Florida I've finally got a decent paying job and I'm hella excited to rack up some bread

Is there no longer a search thread feature? I've posted a few of my cover letters in here before which I'm trying to find and I'm not seeing the option to search within a thread.

Aye, don't really post much on the forums let alone In this thread but just wanted to tell somone that I just recently got a job at Pepsi making 20.23 an hour.

After being out of work since early November after getting fired from this cable company down in Florida I've finally got a decent paying job and I'm hella excited to rack up some bread

That’s great fam. Congrats on the new job but stay in that hungry mindset and don’t settle. Continue striving to obtain a job that’s even better

Is there no longer a search thread feature? I've posted a few of my cover letters in here before which I'm trying to find and I'm not seeing the option to search within a thread.
here.PNG

congrats to all that found a job... I have been out of work for over 5 years because I had back surgery and the surgery gave me nerve damage.. in both legs.. not easy for me to stand and walk for 8 hours a day..... #GODBLESS YOU ALL

BELOW IS MY PERSONAL COVER letter ya can use n just insert ya info in
JOSEPH RODRIGUEZ

(xxx) xxx-xxx ▪ [email protected]

The College of New Rochelle
29 Castle Place
New Rochelle, NY 10805
Payroll Assistant

October 2017

Dear Ms. Perez:

I graduated from x College with a Bachelors of Business Administration in Accounting and a minor in Sociology on June 2013. I am interested in the available position at The College of New Rochelle as a Payroll Assistant; the qualifications sought directly match my educational experience, interest, and skills.

Throughout my academic career, I have developed a strong background in the methodologies required for successfully completing accounting duties such as journal entries, bank reconciliations, bank requisitions and making business decisions. In my final school semester I took a course in spreadsheet applications in business which further enhanced my skills in Microsoft excel and exposed me to functions such as v lookups, pivot tables and regression analysis.

Additionally, my diverse work experience has exposed me to various areas and business functions that have helped me develop the necessary analytical and quantitative skills this field requires. Specifically my work experience with xxx company which has helped me build a foundation in the accounting field. It was a great opportunity for me to use my knowledge and skills and apply them to real world business transactions. I enjoyed assisting managers with making decisions, learned the essentials of business accounting and found that my excellent interpersonal skills served me well when dealing with challenging situations. In my recent position I handled the day to day accounting for a $20 billion Hudson Yards project.

I am a quick learner and adapter; I believe my strengths in these areas would serve me well as part of The College of New Rochelle. I am available to start immediately. Thank you for your time and interest. I look forward to hearing from you and further discussing the ways I can contribute to The College of New Rochelle.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like to schedule an interview. You can reach me via cell at (xxx) xxx-xxxx or by email at [email protected].

Sincerely,

Joseph Rodriguez

Did you go to school for graphic design or get certifications within the discipline? I'm interested in the field because I have some experience doing it organically, but I have no formal schooling/training and my BS is in Criminal Justice.

not a millennial norm .... employers have always wanted folks to have experience and diverse experiences. but this is why i impress upon my SAT prep class to not take the low hanging fruit of sales gigs while in college and to get some of that experience they will need to leverage into that first 4 years of employment post graduating.

I think he's right that it's definitely more prevalent today though, which isn't surprising when you take a look at the economy and competitiveness of almost every job market.

It's a catch 22. "Work here if you have experience, but the only way you can get that experience is to have had another similar position which also requires the similar experience."

Back
Top Bottom