Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Business, as far as owning something primarily. If not that, working in either the music, gaming, or sports industry.

strengths - accountability
weakness - perfectionist
Most overused answer, be a bit more original or honest if not too damning. My weakness is I assume people think at the same speed I do and get a bit frustrated when they don't.

I'm a PTA. Been doing it for 10 years. I'm bored with it. Time to make mo. Medical field is steady....prolly why she pushing it on you. The pay is pretty decent but you can top out fast, so you better be comfortable with that

I’m a PTA also and been doing it going on 5 years this July. What settings have you worked in? I have been pretty done many settings (SNF, acute, home health, OP orthopedic, and OP workers comp). I have been doing traveling/contract work for the last two years and been making pretty decent. I’m think of settling down and get a full time job due to being tired bouncing around.

My back story for inspiration for those that are still looking.

I graduated college back in 2013 with a degree in Economics. Spent about 3 years going job to job looking for something to stick. At my worst, I was commuting 2 hours working minimum wage job at a university doing Audio Visual work. I got laid off there and said f it. Packed my bags last year November and moved up to Northern California to find work. I lived in my Pops living room on an air mattress and applied to several security guard companies. I bounced around until I found a site I liked, at a fortune 500 company.

My plan was to get in good with the employees their and hopefully get hired on to utilized my degree. I kept getting the run around about how they were on a hiring freeze. So I decided to do the next best thing, I tried to get hired on directly for security for the company and it worked!

Mind you, this whole time I keep trying all avenues to find work, ie take placement exams for jobs, taking different certs, etc. A couple months into working security for the company, I got a call for an interview with the city for a water position. Interviewed for it and got it!

I found a way to keep both jobs by being extremely flexible with my schedule and willing to work 80 hours a week.

The point of my story is to be opened minded about your opportunities. There is more than one path to success. Work hard, don't give up, and try every opportunity even if its deemed worthless by society.

Fast forward, I am doing great. Working 80 hours is hard but doable.

Keep grinding NT Fam!

I’m a PTA also and been doing it going on 5 years this July. What settings have you worked in? I have been pretty done many settings (SNF, acute, home health, OP orthopedic, and OP workers comp). I have been doing traveling/contract work for the last two years and been making pretty decent. I’m think of settling down and get a full time job due to being tired bouncing around.
Ive done skilled nursing and home health. I'm currently doing home health full time in southern Cali. Pays the Bills. Inconsistent as hell tho. And the patients complain about stupid ish sometimes. I thought about traveling when I was younger....seemed fun

Had an interview yesterday. Went well. HR manager gave me her email. She also gave me the C.O.O and VP emails, whom interviewed me. What's a good follow up email to send? And should I email all 3 people?

^ Did you interview with all 3?

If so, send individual email to each of them. Make sure it's not the same exact mail.
Mention something unique you talked about with each person.

Reactions: HIM
My passion is exercise and anatomy. I'm obsessed with it. I study for fun....that's how much I love it. But, even if you're not passionate about it, it's still a great ROI depending on where you live. I'm certain it'll become a 4 year degree soon so better to get grandfathered in now and lock in a stable career than waste time debating it.

What DO you want to do?

Same here. This is why I've considered furthering my education in a similar field. I just need to make sure it's a fit because it seems like every job I get I burn out QUICK and/or get complacent. At this point I'm looking for something I'm passionate about, regardless of money. PT school is too much at this point. I'm $1000 away from completely paying off my BS and start all over would be :sick:

I've considered PTA, occupational therapy, nutritionist, etc. Those types of disciplines interest me.

My back story for inspiration for those that are still looking.

I graduated college back in 2013 with a degree in Economics. Spent about 3 years going job to job looking for something to stick. At my worst, I was commuting 2 hours working minimum wage job at a university doing Audio Visual work. I got laid off there and said f it. Packed my bags last year November and moved up to Northern California to find work. I lived in my Pops living room on an air mattress and applied to several security guard companies. I bounced around until I found a site I liked, at a fortune 500 company.

My plan was to get in good with the employees their and hopefully get hired on to utilized my degree. I kept getting the run around about how they were on a hiring freeze. So I decided to do the next best thing, I tried to get hired on directly for security for the company and it worked!

Mind you, this whole time I keep trying all avenues to find work, ie take placement exams for jobs, taking different certs, etc. A couple months into working security for the company, I got a call for an interview with the city for a water position. Interviewed for it and got it!

I found a way to keep both jobs by being extremely flexible with my schedule and willing to work 80 hours a week.

The point of my story is to be opened minded about your opportunities. There is more than one path to success. Work hard, don't give up, and try every opportunity even if its deemed worthless by society.

Fast forward, I am doing great. Working 80 hours is hard but doable.

Keep grinding NT Fam!
I do security now and its time to move on.

Same here. This is why I've considered furthering my education in a similar field. I just need to make sure it's a fit because it seems like every job I get I burn out QUICK and/or get complacent. At this point I'm looking for something I'm passionate about, regardless of money. PT school is too much at this point. I'm $1000 away from completely paying off my BS and start all over would be :sick:

I've considered PTA, occupational therapy, nutritionist, etc. Those types of disciplines interest me.

But you said regardless of money...et not just do PT school? Not sure what schools are charging in your area but one around me is only 70k for the entire program. With your BS paid off, you’re at better spot than most people I’d say.

But you said regardless of money...et not just do PT school? Not sure what schools are charging in your area but one around me is only 70k for the entire program. With your BS paid off, you’re at better spot than most people I’d say.

My bad I meant earnings/salary when I said regardless of money.

PT school out in Cali is about 100k. But u can make 45-50 bucks right out of school. Maybe a little more depending on what setting you wanna get into.

^ Did you interview with all 3?

If so, send individual email to each of them. Make sure it's not the same exact mail.
Mention something unique you talked about with each person.
Yes, all 3. Do you have any templayes i could base it off of? One I used a while ago was

Dear (name),

I hope you’re well! I’m checking in on the ________ Position. It was great to meet with you last week and I’m looking forward to your update. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can provide to assist in the decision-making process.

Thank you,

AdobeCS4
P: 123-456-6789

Hi _____,

I hope you’re well! It was great to meet with you yesterday to discuss the ______ position. Thank you for your time and I’m looking forward to your update. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can provide to assist in the decision-making process.

Best,
Adobe

Send that^ the day after the interview.
I'd personally use "Hi ____" instead of "Dear ____"

Applying for jobs = another job

Glad I'm currently employed, but damn, it's rough out here to get another gig

Not jobless, but damn sure frustrated. I work 2 jobs - a health club as a personal trainer and at a Nike outlet. Hours at both are garbage lately and while I really, really like Nike it just ain't cutting it bros.

Finally had enough of hoping I get scheduled for more hours. Going to look for a Physical Therapist Aide position around my way since I'm in school to become a PT assistant and eventually going to get my DPT it would be great experience plus the pay/hours would be better.

Should I just be submitting resumes? Is it still a good idea to go checkout these places in person and ask to speak to a manager? I've had mixed results like that. With Nike I had issues with my initial interview and missed it so I went back to make amends with a manager and ultimately got into the next round of interviews and that may be part of the reason I was chosen.

However, I've also had instances where I was just directed to apply online and they'll call me. Is it seen as bothersome to go in expecting to get a manger's attention or is it a good first impression?

20 an hour for that? Did you need experience?

Got an interview for a part time position as a rehab tech nearby. Pay is okay, but the hours are solid and steady, M-F. I’ll be able to quit my gym job and keep Nike for the discount all the while collecting more bread and valuable experience for my future career.

Interview is Tuesday. :pimp:

Been trying to relocate to Dallas from Missouri and have recently started applying for Finance jobs. Haa a phone interview that went ok, but it was mentioned that if I was selected to continue the process they would like an in person interview. Now my question is do most companies reimburse you for travel? And if not is it better to just save up and move to Dallas and try to find a job when I get there?

Back
Top Bottom