Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Sucks when the company doesn't contact you back after the interview. Its been 3 weeks now :smh: I just assume they moved on

You need to call them. Ask them where they are in the process. At least if they say they've decided on another candidate you will have some closure.

But yeah, no one calls back nowadays. You take the time to fill out and application, send a resume, call them, interview. The least they can do is give you a definitive answer.

Had my interview yesterday. It went well. The brainteaser part was the hardest section. He said he's looking for someone who can think and that's why he had me do that. The bad thing was that he told me that there are people who'll be qualified that won't get the part because of their budget. Asked for 40 hrs instead of less than 28 because its an apprenticeship/internship and I wanted to show that I was willing to improve the skills I had in that field. Also, it pays $20/hr which isn't bad considering that I'm unemployed. Should hear back in two weeks.

Made an appointment to my alma mater's Alumni Resource Center in the city for networking and hopefully job placement.

How long before graduation would you guys suggest start applying for full time positions?

I graduate in December and have already started applying, I feel like I'm jumping the gun a bit

You can never start too early in your job hunt . . . and there's more people looking for work than positions available. AND every year there's another class of graduates being released into the wild so the more you wait the more people you have to compete with.

By the time we walked with our class, a lot of my friends already either had jobs lined up waiting for them after graduation or had grad school / continuing education already lined up or were stressed out with going on interviews.

It looks good with a lot of employers if you're already looking before graduation because it shows you're a go-getter, you're eager to get your life going . . . instead of taking the summer off.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I've applied to a lot of positions since the spring semester ended. Hoping to at least get an interview out of them.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I've applied to a lot of positions since the spring semester ended. Hoping to at least get an interview out of them.

ugh, it's a numbers game so don't get discouraged.

I have a 10% rule . . . you'll get a 10% response from the resumes you put out . . . of those responses, 10% will give you an interview . . . of those interviews, 10% will offer you a position.

update pretty much my job to take now. interveiw in san antonio wednesday but a bit more info. pay is 14.5 hr but you get a per diem of 32 a day schedule is 6 on 3 off. 2 weeks paid training housing is provided as wel as housing on near work sites you can transfer any where in the world after 6 months . Advancement is on the worker not based on seniority but on how you learn . Relocating to texas is the move since the eagle shale is supposed to be around for the next 100 years. if anybody wants to know more ask away 

Time to grind it out bruh
coming off some of that rl slowly but surley lol. i got money coming in  through other ways just really aint been on it like i should have also  i dont want to take a job just to take it and i was sitting on 30k at the beginning of the year but had to pay for a funeral and didnt realize it was that much 
mean.gif
 having a cdl helps been getting hella calls to work literally background check road test and orientation and im in there 

Last edited:
@rrlegend, is that 14.5 for a cdl position or just a roughneck position?

Where's your family at in CA or TX?

@rrlegend, is that 14.5 for a cdl position or just a roughneck position?

Where's your family at in CA or TX?

roughneck but you need a cdl to drive the trucks out to the sites. my fam is in louisiana and atl. i relocated to cali to try it out but im ready to leave. most cdl positions start out at 18-21 hour at plus 25 hours of o.t. a week  but there is no advancement with those its typically a dead end gig from all the research ive been doing. 

roughnecking weekly averages = 14 hr days at 6 a week plus 32 dollar per deim / 580 for 40 /943 for ot/ 192 in per diem pay

transport weekly averages = 12 hour ***** 5 days a week / 760 base pay/ 570 in o.t. pay their is shift differential pay at a $1 for grave yard and a another .50 after 90 days and 3000 sign on after 6 months but thats the career ceiling for that position and the reason you dont get o.t. like the rough neck is due to d.o.t. regulations

Did you do any internships?

If so, how come none of those turned into full time positions?

Since you graduate in December, find out which companies are recruiting during the fall semester (Aug-Dec), then:

Do your research to see if they actually hire their interns for full time positions

Land the internship for the spring semester

Knock it out & get that full time offer at the end.

switched majors, haven't had an internship in my current major yet. I'm hoping to get a summer internship and they just let me stay on throughout the fall because I'm only taking 2 classes. Then when I graduate become a full time employee
You have formed a realistic plan while still in school. Kudos to you sir. I wish you the best.

How are the railroads on the west coast? BNSF is the only line I know of out here.
You'll have Union Pacific out there too. There will be smaller companies labelled as shortlines or regionals working out there as well. I live in Central Canada so I can't give specifics on certain locations. Check their websites and see if there any job openings and remember there are MANY more jobs in many fields of work than just the guys who run the trains.

Last edited:
looked through the past 6 days of listings from my break, applied to probably 4 or 5 places back the the grind tomorrow night though

Getting lots of interest . Halliburton called back finally 15 hr 100 hrs a week 14/7 paid week off looking at about 1700 a week. Gonna put my 6 months in and transfer to brazil are somewhere out of here
How did u get in at Halliburton??? I've been trying or three years to get on!!!

i started to apply to some entry level office jobs at halliburton.

i got a letter from a place in houston asking to send my transcripts and a full app.. I just did an assessments test on their site.

i'm still a little worried about moving to a new state... not sure if that's the right call... but i'm going broke fast so maybe it is.

How did u get in at Halliburton??? I've been trying or three years to get on!!!
just came back from doing paper work and signing offer. apply for a position in san antonio or elmedorf texas and call the recruiter. everybody that was there today got hired. but it was a bit diffrent then what was told over the phone. 6 days on 3 off, stay at camp, 13.50 for entry level 15 after 30 days, 12 hr shifts with 3 hr drive time from camp to jobsite which you are paid for , benfits start day one stock options 
pimp.gif
 401 k and bonuses. Some different time for jobs like 7 / 2 or 21 / 7  all entry level pay the same thou 

i started to apply to some entry level office jobs at halliburton.

i got a letter from a place in houston asking to send my transcripts and a full app.. I just did an assessments test on their site.

i'm still a little worried about moving to a new state... not sure if that's the right call... but i'm going broke fast so maybe it is.
do it i made the move from atl to l.a. last november and just moved from l.a. to san antonio this weekend  , its worth the risk and if you want to go back home you can transfer after 6 months 

just came back from doing paper work and signing offer. apply for a position in san antonio or elmedorf texas and call the recruiter. everybody that was there today got hired. but it was a bit diffrent then what was told over the phone. 6 days on 3 off, stay at camp, 13.50 for entry level 15 after 30 days, 12 hr shifts with 3 hr drive time from camp to jobsite which you are paid for , benfits start day one stock options :pimp:  401 k and bonuses. Some different time for jobs like 7 / 2 or 21 / 7  all entry level pay the same thou 
Where did u find the recruiters info at???

Back
Top Bottom