Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

Got a conditional job offer on Christmas Eve, to begin a career after searching since May. Definitely a nice Christmas present for myself. I was stressing since a lot of students in my grad program were getting internships lined up for the spring.

Funny thing is, when my pops forwarded me the job announcement, I immediately ruled myself out and figured I wouldn't even get a call back. But I completed it anyway, and in the interview, they told me they had handpicked my resume. Definitely a great feeling. Anyone that's frustrated in this thread, that quote that says "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" is definitely true. Increase your application volume and don't rule yourself out. :smokin

Posted this back in December of 2014, just wanted to provide an update. If anyone has experienced the federal hiring process, they know it can be a very lengthy thing. The time between the quoted post in 2014, and now has been a very tumultuous one, filled with ups and downs, uncertainties, and anxiety about whether this opportunity would come through due to various agency budgetary concerns amongst other things - despite me having received a conditional offer. I had various interviews within this time period for other jobs, all of which never seemed to quite work out for some reason or the other, due to the craziest reasons. However, I'm in my last semester of grad school and as of today, I just got my offer finalized, with a start date for the second week of March. Keep pushing NT fambs; this thread has motivated me and I hope it can do the same for others.

Posted this back in December of 2014, just wanted to provide an update. If anyone has experienced the federal hiring process, they know it can be a very lengthy thing. The time between the quoted post in 2014, and now has been a very tumultuous one, filled with ups and downs, uncertainties, and anxiety about whether this opportunity would come through due to various agency budgetary concerns amongst other things - despite me having received a conditional offer. I had various interviews within this time period for other jobs, all of which never seemed to quite work out for some reason or the other, due to the craziest reasons. However, I'm in my last semester of grad school and as of today, I just got my offer finalized, with a start date for the second week of March. Keep pushing NT fambs; this thread has motivated me and I hope it can do the same for others.
is this a GS position?

D.Josey D.Josey congrats dude.

I been applying for feds and been having people internal looking over my resume for openings/help.

Just mean more supreme l/s for you. Hit me up I got you on a beer.

Congratulations bro. Continue to flourish outchea

Thank you, sir :smokin

is this a GS position?

Yes it is.

D.Josey D.Josey congrats dude.

I been applying for feds and been having people internal looking over my resume for openings/help.

Just mean more supreme l/s for you. Hit me up I got you on a beer.

For sure, g :smokin

Thank you, sir :smokin
Yes it is.
For sure, g :smokin
that's pretty cool ... I know a few people that work as GS ... They always brag about having all the federal holidays off and vacation time. Plus they get to retire after 20 which is cool. Also invest in that TSP.

GS what? GS06-11?

What's good NT,

Got a HR/Job application question for yall.

Short, tl;dr version:

Just applied to a job. Is it ok to contact a recruiter you once were previously in contact with?

Full Story:

Last year I hit up a college friend of mine who works in HR for a company I wanted to apply to. She put me in touch with the hiring manager of the department I was applying for, and although I got a phone interview with the hiring manager, that was as far as that search went after my application was forwarded.

Fast forward to roughly a year later (now), I applied to another position at the same company. I'm much more qualified this time as this position would basically bump me up to a senior version of my current job. I'm tempted to reach out to the hiring manager again, as it's the same department I applied to, but I'm worried it may put her off and make myself desperate.

Would like to know if any of you guys here had a similar situation.

I would definitely do it. I feel like that shows that you really want the position.

I applied to a company in the DFW area and the HR person added me on LinkedIn..hopefully she calls me for an interview 

Shouts to the companies who post jobs, you apply, you hear nothing, but see them post the job again. We appreciate you.

Any of yall out here IT with some certs? I can get you on with my company, at FT Sill OK as a contractor, probably mid 50's (took a MASSIVE cut)

Shouts to the companies who post jobs, you apply, you hear nothing, but see them post the job again. We appreciate you.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 This is my story

Unemployment checks stop coming in like a month and a half. I've only had about 4 interviews since September. Pretty discouraging. I'm gonna end up slinging coffee at Dunkin Donuts
mean.gif

I dont know if I shared my story in here, but figured it would encourage some of you. So I moved to florida in 2014, couldnt find any job except a part time one at Old Navy. i loved the people, but the hours I got were crap. So i applied for a local temp agency. Actually, I applied for all three in town. One of them contacted me a few days after i had my initial interview with them about a marketing position they felt I would be perfect for. It was temp to hire and paid $14/hr. That was a no brainer so i told them to set up the interview. So I ace the interview and get the job. A month into me working there, they told me they wanted me to work there permanently. So a few months goes by and im brought on as a permanent employee with a dollar raise and full benefits. My supervisor leaves and my responsibilities grow. So on Friday my new supervisor calls me into the office to tell me ive gotten a increase to $20/hr and a new job title. So hang in there guys and be encouraged, at one point I was unemployed for 2 years.

Does anyone do resume check?

I recently updated mine and would like to get it checked. Open to constructive criticism, improvements, and comments.

Thanks fellas.

Last edited:
Does anyone do resume check?

I recently updated mine and would like to get it checked. Open to constructive criticism, improvements, and comments.

Thanks fellas.

I've helped people out in the past but more recently @eNPHAN has been the goto for resume critique as of late. People really appreciate his help so I'd hit him up.

i appreciate the references.

i offered services because dudes were in here considering paying 700+ for a resume service.

i do charge, however.

Unemployment checks stop coming in like a month and a half. I've only had about 4 interviews since September. Pretty discouraging. I'm gonna end up slinging coffee at Dunkin Donuts
mean.gif
Keep pushing.

The day I got my last UE check, I also got a full-time job offer.

Last edited:
Resigned yesterday as my new job needs me to start next Monday and was told my services weren't needed after tomorrow and was I still coming in. My boss literally got disappointed after I told her even when I offered to finish everything that I was working on. Crazy thing about it was that HR was happy for me of all people and wished me luck as the role was long term as opposed to freelancing. I've heard of this happening but never experienced it myself. They'll fire you with no remorse, but get pissed when you move on. Just another reason why we need to look out for our own interests.

Back
Top Bottom