Jobless and Frustrated NTers check in VOL. WE NOT-WORKIN!!!

So I hit up a temp agency last week. Today I went on an interview for this company that is a division (that seems to be a booming and not slowing down) from another MULTI-BILLION dollar company. Met with two people that work right below the owner, completely hit it off throughout the whole interview. It's about a 15 min drive from my house now. It is in a rich city that I would love to settle down and live in.

At the end of the interview they said "we do not have anything open at the moment unfortunately."

After meeting with my agent last week she continually talked about how much I would fit in there so I didn't apply to anything in the last week because of this interview I was certain I'd get.

grin.gif
 SUCKS but today is taco Tuesday, so tacos, beer and basketball for me tonight! 

back to "the grind" tomorrow

Hey Nters,

Laid off last Tuesday so been on that interview game.
Looking for HR roles then will panic and settle for accounting.

Hit me up if you in Boston and good luck with the job seekers out there.

It's a grind but just gotta stay positive.
I have an interview at the Moakley Courthouse this week for a job with the Feds. Were you working in the city before you were let go?

Lots of things have happen in the last 5 days since my initial post. Wanna up date you guys.

Last Friday I got an email about a county job that I was really hoping to get. Always knew that If I get to the interview stage, my chances increase greatly. Always been good at interviews. Well, the email was a no and that door was closed. Didn't let it get to me cause we were going into Easter weekend and I had a test on Monday for another good opportunity. So I go take the test on Monday and within a few hours I get an email back that I miss the cutoff by 5 points :\ Another door closed. I go home and get ready to go to the gym. During my hour and a half at the gym, a lot of stuff happened. Grabbed my phone and had a ton of missed calls.

Two weeks ago I filled out an application regarding a tech position with Kaiser Permanente. The very next day a guy from an agency reached out to me. Told me that he had a good relationship with the hiring manager and he was going to submit my info to them. He said give it about a week, and if I don't hear anything to give him a call. Well, a week passed by didn't hear anything so I call him and it turns out the dude is on vacation :stoneface: It did upset me a lil cause why would you tell me to call you if you were going on vacation? I had to wait till this past Monday and I even got an email from the guy earlier in the day that Kaiser had not yet reached out but later that evening he was one of the calls that I received. Kaiser wanted to interview me the next day! Was definitely excited. After talking to him and getting the details, I spoke with another recruiter that had set up a phone interview with me the next day as well! While on that phone call, I had a miss call and voicemail about a potential opportunity with USC Keck Medical!. All of a sudden I have 3 opportunities!

Yesterday…..I go to the Kaiser interview and it goes great. Interviewed with 3 really cool people and I can kinda see by the body language that its going well. The main manager walks me out after the interview and tells me that I pretty much presented myself to best and stood out the best out of everyone they have seen. It was really humbling to hear that. After so many L's I've been taking it felt really good to get that feedback. He pretty much tells me that he wants to get the ball rolling on getting me in there. 20 minutes after leaving, I get the call from the recruiter and they offer me the position! Later on that day the other recruiter calls and USC wanted to interview me this Thursday but I declined.

Hopefully this helps someone out there and gives them hope! If you've read my post you can see how dark things can look but you gotta keep grinding!

-Blessings

Lots of things have happen in the last 5 days since my initial post. Wanna up date you guys.

Last Friday I got an email about a county job that I was really hoping to get. Always knew that If I get to the interview stage, my chances increase greatly. Always been good at interviews. Well, the email was a no and that door was closed. Didn't let it get to me cause we were going into Easter weekend and I had a test on Monday for another good opportunity. So I go take the test on Monday and within a few hours I get an email back that I miss the cutoff by 5 points
ohwell.gif
Another door closed. I go home and get ready to go to the gym. During my hour and a half at the gym, a lot of stuff happened. Grabbed my phone and had a ton of missed calls.

Two weeks ago I filled out an application regarding a tech position with Kaiser Permanente. The very next day a guy from an agency reached out to me. Told me that he had a good relationship with the hiring manager and he was going to submit my info to them. He said give it about a week, and if I don't hear anything to give him a call. Well, a week passed by didn't hear anything so I call him and it turns out the dude is on vacation
indifferent.gif
It did upset me a lil cause why would you tell me to call you if you were going on vacation? I had to wait till this past Monday and I even got an email from the guy earlier in the day that Kaiser had not yet reached out but later that evening he was one of the calls that I received. Kaiser wanted to interview me the next day! Was definitely excited. After talking to him and getting the details, I spoke with another recruiter that had set up a phone interview with me the next day as well! While on that phone call, I had a miss call and voicemail about a potential opportunity with USC Keck Medical!. All of a sudden I have 3 opportunities!

Yesterday…..I go to the Kaiser interview and it goes great. Interviewed with 3 really cool people and I can kinda see by the body language that its going well. The main manager walks me out after the interview and tells me that I pretty much presented myself to best and stood out the best out of everyone they have seen. It was really humbling to hear that. After so many L's I've been taking it felt really good to get that feedback. He pretty much tells me that he wants to get the ball rolling on getting me in there. 20 minutes after leaving, I get the call from the recruiter and they offer me the position! Later on that day the other recruiter calls and USC wanted to interview me this Thursday but I declined.

Hopefully this helps someone out there and gives them hope! If you've read my post you can see how dark things can look but you gotta keep grinding!

-Blessings
So awesome to hear this-congrats!

Any NT'ers in NYC with a Finance/Accounting degree looking for a temp-to-hire position, please PM me. This is a floater type position, mostly on the AP side. My org is hiring and helping to spread the word. Thanks!

Last Friday I got an email about a county job that I was really hoping to get. Always knew that If I get to the interview stage, my chances increase greatly. Always been good at interviews. Well, the email was a no and that door was closed. Didn't let it get to me cause we were going into Easter weekend and I had a test on Monday for another good opportunity. So I go take the test on Monday and within a few hours I get an email back that I miss the cutoff by 5 points
ohwell.gif
Another door closed. I go home and get ready to go to the gym. During my hour and a half at the gym, a lot of stuff happened. Grabbed my phone and had a ton of missed calls.

Two weeks ago I filled out an application regarding a tech position with Kaiser Permanente. The very next day a guy from an agency reached out to me. Told me that he had a good relationship with the hiring manager and he was going to submit my info to them. He said give it about a week, and if I don't hear anything to give him a call. Well, a week passed by didn't hear anything so I call him and it turns out the dude is on vacation
indifferent.gif
It did upset me a lil cause why would you tell me to call you if you were going on vacation? I had to wait till this past Monday and I even got an email from the guy earlier in the day that Kaiser had not yet reached out but later that evening he was one of the calls that I received. Kaiser wanted to interview me the next day! Was definitely excited. After talking to him and getting the details, I spoke with another recruiter that had set up a phone interview with me the next day as well! While on that phone call, I had a miss call and voicemail about a potential opportunity with USC Keck Medical!. All of a sudden I have 3 opportunities!

-Blessings

The best advice I can give is to dumb your resume' down if you want a job that's different. Or generate a new resume for each position you really want. It'll do wonders.

The best advice I can give is to dumb your resume' down if you want a job that's different. Or generate a new resume for each position you really want. It'll do wonders.
This is interesting. My resume might be too comprehensive. I'm guessing you'd dumb it down so it's more relatable so that any one can understand? 

Just came by this thread to say this. Keep your heads up dont get discouraged keep churning application after application something will come through for you. Rejection letter after rejection letter came and I even had multiple interviews where I didn't get the gig, but an even better oppourtunity is coming through for me. So keep your heads up fam
happy.gif

Had an interview yesterday in Boston within the Federal Judicial System. Felt like it went pretty well. I'll either get a call inviting me for a 2nd round of interviews, or a call saying thanks but no thanks. Dozens of applicants for 1 or 2 positions so there's a lot of competition. Interviewed for the same position in 2012 to no avail. We'll see....

If I had one piece of advise, never turn down interviews. Regardless of job offers, it's never a guaranteed until you have official numbers and are getting paid. Had this happen to multiple people ...

If I had one piece of advise, never turn down interviews. Regardless of job offers, it's never a guaranteed until you have official numbers and are getting paid. Had this happen to multiple people ...
Additionally, even if you're already employed, it's not a bad thing to go to interviews.

At worst, you get practice. At best, you get a job offer.

What's the best approach to take when negotiating pay, once an offer is made?

Find out what the average pay is they are offering for the position and then what skillset you're bringing to the table. It's all going to play differently based on the leverage you have but you should never be low balled. Then again I'm approaching this from a different side than I think many of you are.

Why not ask what you think you are worth or what you want to get paid? For example ... Good glass door avg pay for x position and company. If nothing comes up for that particular company, go with the avg nation wide for the position. From there add travel, tolls, etc. All they can say is no ... You just have to sound like you are willing to walk away if they don't give in a little ...

Hey NT,

Got laid off on March 15, picked up a Job offer on March 31 at a 33 percent pay bump at a public company.

Blessings on blessings. Pondering this weekend and next week as I am finishing up some interview processes and waiting on some other final round.

Hey NT,

Got laid off on March 15, picked up a Job offer on March 31 at a 33 percent pay bump at a public company.

Blessings on blessings. Pondering this weekend and next week as I am finishing up some interview processes and waiting on some other final round.
Keep interviewing and see what happens.

Either way, congrats. 2 weeks to get a new gig =
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom