John Salley On Michael Jordan! "He's Not The Greatest Player Ever"

i was gonna say thabo.

So MJ wasn't a ball hog? MJ wasn't a chucker? Who guarded MJ in the 90's? how many 6'7 physical specimens, who were just as quick & just as strong, and could defend back then? MJ's best defender practiced against him, his name was Scottie Pippen... Vernon Maxwell defended him pretty well too might have been the best defender, & maybe John Starks...:|

jordan was much more efficient. what kobe got with taking 40 shots, jordan would do with 20.

on a pure talent level lebron is the better pick over Jordan, but MJ had the mindset and heart, the refusal to lose, that Lebron hasn't yet shown to possess. last year could've been a major stepping stone, we'll see.

Last edited:
It's hard to name great individual defenders because nobody really can or even tries to defend guys like that individually. I'd say team defense has evolved for the better, but so have things on the offensive side of the ball. Difficult to compare eras, even if only separated by 15-20 years.

Defense is at an all time low every seems scared to play tight physical defense and when you do they call a foul. People who bring marketing into the equation what about Lebron's marketing before he even touched the NBA court? The only thing the league has gotten better at is flopping and illegal ball handling. The NBA is more based upon entertainment and it has ruined the game. Everyone acts as we've had some mass jump in evolution when Deion Sander's 40 time still stands.

Lebron had about 5 players doing Derek Fisher like performances these playoffs. The 3 point shooting won the finals for the Heat. Which is why I don't think they will repeat. Live by the 3 and die by the 3.
I firmly believe the Thunder would have won the Finals if the refs had called that foul on Lebron in game 2 :rolleyes

Lmao months later he's still trying to discredit dude. I know you threw a tantrum when they won, probably cried like a *****.

Idk what those bron Stan's smoking on but it must be some NASA the way y'all sounding comparing him to the GOAT not even magic bird Kareem or Wilt...Bron he ain't even done playing yet leave the rocks alone especially @knightlovesqueen the bath salts getting to ya homie

3 reason why Kobe or Legold won't ever touch Mike:

1. Kobe choking in Phoenix and giving up in a playoff series.

2. Kobe choking in Boston and losing in the finals by 1ziillion points.

3. Legold giving up against the Celts at home in a playoff series.

I never saw Mike give up ever. Period.

word.

Kobe still has terrible shot selection and decision making at times.

And people always rag on Bron for his past disappearing acts and totally ignore Kobe's 7 for 22 shooting, 1 assist, 4 TO, 131 - 92 elimination loss in the 2008 Finals.

Don't forget about the 2004 Finals...

Game 3: Kobe goes 4 for 13 with 11 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 turnovers.

Game 4: Kobe goes 8 for 25 with 20 points, 0 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 turnovers.

Game 5: Kobe goes 7 for 21 with 24 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 turnovers.

And his 1 point second half in the game 7 against Phoenix...

Kobe has actually gone cold more times than LeBron on the big stage.

Neither of them are as great as MJ.

Last edited:
people go blind to kobe short comings bc he had 5 rings. honestly i think u swap ai, vince carter or t-mac (best players during that time period) out n put them with shaq they have the same amount of rings as kobe got with him. but lebron and kobe dnt have the legacy that mj has and honestly probably never will. MJ was just a killer on the court that makes it look easy kobe take high degree of difficult shot when they really are not neccesarry. While lbj just learn to shoot the shots that superstars are supposed to be taking. Im the biggest bron fan and i have the most respect for kobe buthaving watched mj, kobe, and bron and seeing them in their primes I have to go with MJ theres is really nothin that either of them can do from here on out to compare to MJ they just fight for number 2.

Couldn't have said it better. Add to the fact that MJ would've never joined forces with any other big name players, he wanted to destroy and humiliate his competition

Couldn't have said it better. Add to the fact that MJ would've never joined forces with any other big name players, he wanted to destroy and humiliate his competition
to lebron credit jordan never played with teams as bad as the team lebron took to the finals the first time he went. and when he did they ain't go no where. jordan played with an all time great in Scottie who was lebrons next best player before teaming with wade, larry Hughes, delonte west, big z, shaq years out of his prime come on. i dnt think mike would have joined forces with magic or bird but we will never no bc they were able to put a team around him capable of winning a chip

The bulls were historically just as bad as the cavs if not worse. So the culture of losing was the same

The cavs team werent good but at the end of the day he was favored and GAVE UP. We all saw it.

He will have his own legacy at the end of the day. Poster child of the AAU era. And an amazing athletic talent. More magic than MJ

Last edited:

LOLZ...

Enough w/ the MJ pedestal talk. MJ came and succeeded at a time where economic boom and expansion for the USA and BASKETBALL took place. He elevated the game by being THAT SWINGMAN. He wasn't no big guy, but his style of play was totally DIFFERENT from the norm.

Ya'll are fake rookie analysts here. You all don't even know how it was back then, when there were more leagues aside from the NBA. Think about it.

MJ is the GOAT and the FACE, but I WOULD NOT LABEL HIM as the MOST DOMINATING PLAYER EVER. If I had to play GM, I'd very much look for a Kareem or Hakeem type of guy.

People are sleep, Jordan not winning titles by himself

Jordan!

Pippen!

Kukoc!

Kukoc was one hell of a player, 6'11 sf great all around, him & Scottie was capable of leading teams for plenty of games, Rodman the ultimate role player

veteran Ron Harper 6'6 solid pg, great defender

and Phil Jackson argubly the greatest coach ever!

Individuals don't win Championships! TEAMS do!!!

Kobe still has terrible shot selection and decision making at times.
And people always rag on Bron for his past disappearing acts and totally ignore Kobe's 7 for 22 shooting, 1 assist, 4 TO, 131 - 92 elimination loss in the 2008 Finals.
Don't forget about the 2004 Finals...
Game 3: Kobe goes 4 for 13 with 11 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 turnovers.
Game 4: Kobe goes 8 for 25 with 20 points, 0 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 turnovers.
Game 5: Kobe goes 7 for 21 with 24 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 turnovers.
And his 1 point second half in the game 7 against Phoenix...
Kobe has actually gone cold more times than LeBron on the big stage.
Neither of them are as great as MJ.

Fair Kobe critique and he's my all time favorite player but i have to agree, his shot selection/decision making leave me baffled. Jordan rarely took such foolish shots or had critical turnovers in late game situations.

But in Kobe's defense he has also come thru more times than Bron on the big stage as well so far, of course its by default since he's been there so many times but thats too Kobes credit though.

People are sleep, Jordan not winning titles by himself
Jordan!
Pippen!
Kukoc!

Kukoc was one hell of a player, 6'11 sf great all around, him & Scottie was capable of leading teams for plenty of games, Rodman the ultimate role player
veteran Ron Harper 6'6 solid pg, great defender

and Phil Jackson argubly the greatest coach ever!

Individuals don't win Championships! TEAMS do!!!

clearly you haven't seen jordan in his prime. LOL

> 1st 3peat (MJ 28yr-30yr) Led the league in scoring in all of those years. 2 season MVP. 3 finals MVP.

young coach phil jackson (2nd year)
young pippen (first time all star)

bill cartwright
horace grant
stacy king
scot williams
paxon
bj armstrong
WILL ******g PERDUE

now tell me... how the hell did MJ led this core of players into a 3 peat ?

> 2nd 3peat (MJ 33yr-35yr) led the league in scoring in those last 3 years as a bull. 2 season MVP. 3 finals MVP.

experienced coach jackson
prime pippen
mid 30s rodman
3rd year man kukoc

luke ******g longley
harper
kerr
randy brown
buchler
simpkins

a bit better but you wouldn't call that a "super" team. won nba record 72 games and a 3 peat.

this tells you not only how good jordan was as a player but also a leader. man led his team to 2 3peats in 8 years. 6 finals MVP in all of the chip. Never lost in the finals. The man is a winner.

Jordan winning with phil, pip and a bunch of scrubs. kobe winning with very experience phil and bunch of all stars not to mention one of the most dominant center in history. Let's talk about lebron when he gets his 1st 3peat with his mutiple allstar pals wade and bosh.

Last edited:
Plus Rodman didnt join the Bulls until his 10th year in the league, dude was like 34 years old

No disrespect, but you all don't get tired of arguing this same topic every month?

Kobe, Jordan, and LeBron?

Jordan never won w/o Pippen

Yeah because he never snitched on him and run him out of chicago. MJ actually enjoyed playing with his man. One reason he never went back the next season with the bulls coz the owners don't want to extend phil and pips contracts, that shows loyalty to his mates. MJ never left the bulls nor cried for trade when the going went tough. kobe as good as he is, he's one spoiled brat of a player.

Last edited:
The 90's Bulls were a system, built by Tex, laid out by Phil, & executed by the best combo ever & a bunch of role players.

Thinking those two 3-peats were all MJ is as naive as thinking Phil's 3rd 3-peat was just because of Shaq, or Kobe.

Last edited:
The 90's Bulls were a system, built by Tex, laid out by Phil, & executed by the best combo ever & a bunch of role players.
Thinking those two 3-peats were all MJ is as naive as thinking Phil's 3rd 3-peat was just because of Shaq, or Kobe.

of course winning a chip is a team effort but you need a very competent leader to be able to achieve that feat.

MJ as a leader and player > kobe, bron

Yeah because he never snitched on him and run him out of chicago. MJ actually enjoyed playing with his man. One reason he never went back the next season with the bulls coz the owners don't want to extend phil and pips contracts, that shows loyalty to his mates. MJ never left the bulls nor cried for trade when the going went tough. kobe as good as he is, he's one spoiled brat of a player.
MJ as a leader and intensity for winning is unmatched

Stupid Kobe. If he would have held his ego in check he would have won two more ships.

Back
Top Bottom