Joining the military...What are you thoughts?

f that, id never join, I had a dream where I signed the paper but the 2nd after I was like "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
ended up waking up stressed out as hell to the point I wanted to cry cuz I was about to be shipped out to whatever it was
I knew I was dreaming but I couldnt wake up till that part, smh military can suck a fat one.............

f that, id never join, I had a dream where I signed the paper but the 2nd after I was like "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
ended up waking up stressed out as hell to the point I wanted to cry cuz I was about to be shipped out to whatever it was
I knew I was dreaming but I couldnt wake up till that part, smh military can suck a fat one.............

i'm thinking about doing this after i get my degree in 2 years as well, but for the army or marines. if i join i'd only consider doing so thru ocs.

i'm thinking about doing this after i get my degree in 2 years as well, but for the army or marines. if i join i'd only consider doing so thru ocs.

Na I wouldn't. I feel so bad for our soldiers. The people in charge of them are writing checks that they will have to cash.

Na I wouldn't. I feel so bad for our soldiers. The people in charge of them are writing checks that they will have to cash.

OP, try naval academy

if you are enlisting sometime around this year, I wish you the best of luck

OP, try naval academy

if you are enlisting sometime around this year, I wish you the best of luck

Originally Posted by youngj00

Originally Posted by downsouthstunna

How recently ive been thinking about joining the military(probably army). I have a Bachelors Degree and im still having a hard time finding a decent job.  Ive been looking more and more into recently and it doesnt seem that bad(unless they ship me overseas lol).  Id basically have a steady paycheck, nice insurance and most of all I can get rid of this school loan! Betty Mae stay jocking a brotha lol
laugh.gif

So since I have a degree I should be able to go in as a officer. I havent actually talked with a recruiter yet but everyone tells me to be carefull with them because they could mislead you more often than now. Anyone know what type of pay officers receive with a college degree?  Also any of rather important info/tips would be appreciated

Dude, as a veteran, I urge you to strongly consider the Air Force. The Army will NOT be for you. The Navy has opportunities but isn’t in the position “management wise

Originally Posted by youngj00

Originally Posted by downsouthstunna

How recently ive been thinking about joining the military(probably army). I have a Bachelors Degree and im still having a hard time finding a decent job.  Ive been looking more and more into recently and it doesnt seem that bad(unless they ship me overseas lol).  Id basically have a steady paycheck, nice insurance and most of all I can get rid of this school loan! Betty Mae stay jocking a brotha lol
laugh.gif

So since I have a degree I should be able to go in as a officer. I havent actually talked with a recruiter yet but everyone tells me to be carefull with them because they could mislead you more often than now. Anyone know what type of pay officers receive with a college degree?  Also any of rather important info/tips would be appreciated

Dude, as a veteran, I urge you to strongly consider the Air Force. The Army will NOT be for you. The Navy has opportunities but isn’t in the position “management wise

Like others have said OP don't just do it for financial reasons. Think long & hard before you make a decision you may end up regretting.

Like others have said OP don't just do it for financial reasons. Think long & hard before you make a decision you may end up regretting.

RIP FAM...... our troops were suppose to BEEN home... just imagine not being able to come home after ur contracted time is served just cuz of a fine print claus smh

RIP FAM...... our troops were suppose to BEEN home... just imagine not being able to come home after ur contracted time is served just cuz of a fine print claus smh

Originally Posted by Sorkoram

ROTC limits you( a lot of academic and physical requirements) and you can lose a lot of money real quick within ROTC, but you do get the commission. I'd go ROTC if I had a lot of hours coming into college. I went to OCS and it wasn't that difficult, but others may tell you different. It is physically and mentally demanding, but if you were prepared prior, you'll do fine.

As for the Air Force guy, the Air Force does take really good care of you.

Just really think about what you'll gain from the military vs losing back home.

pimp.gif
Speak on your OCS experiences. I'm currently in the Navy OCS application stage but would like to hear about all OCS experiences. My friends bro got his commission through OCS and is at Ft. Meade right now. He said I'd excel within Navy OCS but not Army OCS. I only know about the Navy's process and how it is insanely selective it is right now.  How competitive is the selection process? What kind of tests do you have to pass (entrance exams, physicals, etc.)? How much did you run once you were there? What was your daily schedule like? 

ROTC limits you( a lot of academic and physical requirements) and you can lose a lot of money real quick within ROTC, but you do get the commission. I'd go ROTC if I had a lot of hours coming into college. I went to OCS and it wasn't that difficult, but others may tell you different. It is physically and mentally demanding, but if you were prepared prior, you'll do fine.

pimp.gif
Speak on your OCS experiences. I'm currently in the Navy OCS application stage but would like to hear about all OCS experiences. My friends bro got his commission through OCS and is at Ft. Meade right now. He said I'd excel within Navy OCS but not Army OCS. I only know about the Navy's process and how it is insanely selective it is right now.  How competitive is the selection process? What kind of tests do you have to pass (entrance exams, physicals, etc.)? How much did you run once you were there? What was your daily schedule like? 

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

Speak on your OCS experiences. I'm currently in the Navy OCS application stage but would like hearing about the all OCS branch experiences. My friends brother did it and actually said I'd excel within Navy OCS but not Army OCS. 

what ocs did you attend? as in what branch..ryair...why did he say youd excel...in navy but not army?

Speak on your OCS experiences. I'm currently in the Navy OCS application stage but would like hearing about the all OCS branch experiences. My friends brother did it and actually said I'd excel within Navy OCS but not Army OCS. 

what ocs did you attend? as in what branch..ryair...why did he say youd excel...in navy but not army?

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

He said that Naval OCS was much more classroom oriented, which I guess he was saying plays more to my strengths (I didn't really talk to him that much about it). If the Navy doesn't work out, I def want to try another branch.

Oh, my friends brother went from an enlisted sailor to an Army officer after he got his degree. Even though he didnt go through Navy OCS , he ended working with many officers who did and he was speaking from their experiences.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

He said that Naval OCS was much more classroom oriented, which I guess he was saying plays more to my strengths (I didn't really talk to him that much about it). If the Navy doesn't work out, I def want to try another branch.

Oh, my friends brother went from an enlisted sailor to an Army officer after he got his degree. Even though he didnt go through Navy OCS , he ended working with many officers who did and he was speaking from their experiences.

pimp.gif

I'll keep it short and sweet, most of it you can look up on the net.

Where? Rhode Island
- When you get there, you need to be at 22% body fat. You'll run a PFA  in the first 2 days(phys fit +*%%@) -- Push-ups, Curl-ups, sit-and-reach, 1.5mi run.  Since you're going OCS side, you'll take a second PFA, and you need to have improved on your initial one. You train 4-5 days out of the week and also do weight training, depending on how strong your class did on the PFAs. Also, pt will be less and less as the process goes on and more focused on instructional training. Shoot for the max and be ready before you get there.

Mentally, it's just one big mind game, seriously. Your drill instructors will be in your %%@ bro. It got so bad that we had to salute squirrels.
roll.gif
All they are trying to do is see if you break down in situations with high intensity/stress.

Selection - If you took care of business in schools and did well on the ASVAB, you're good as long as you follow the packet instructions.

Typical day - little sleep, little food, and a lot of criticism and bs thrown at you.

If you have more questions or would like for me to get more into detail, just hit my inbox.

pimp.gif

I'll keep it short and sweet, most of it you can look up on the net.

Where? Rhode Island
- When you get there, you need to be at 22% body fat. You'll run a PFA  in the first 2 days(phys fit +*%%@) -- Push-ups, Curl-ups, sit-and-reach, 1.5mi run.  Since you're going OCS side, you'll take a second PFA, and you need to have improved on your initial one. You train 4-5 days out of the week and also do weight training, depending on how strong your class did on the PFAs. Also, pt will be less and less as the process goes on and more focused on instructional training. Shoot for the max and be ready before you get there.

Mentally, it's just one big mind game, seriously. Your drill instructors will be in your %%@ bro. It got so bad that we had to salute squirrels.
roll.gif
All they are trying to do is see if you break down in situations with high intensity/stress.

Selection - If you took care of business in schools and did well on the ASVAB, you're good as long as you follow the packet instructions.

Typical day - little sleep, little food, and a lot of criticism and bs thrown at you.

If you have more questions or would like for me to get more into detail, just hit my inbox.

Something all the recruiter don't tell you is about all the life altering injuries and deaths that occur from getting deployed. Look into it a lot man. The number of soldiers coming back with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is 1 in every 8. Scary stuff man. I just remember reading my home newspaper in Maine and seeing two soldiers who had just gotten back swimming in the ocean. One of them was holding his buddy up in the water since he had lost both his arms and legs in the war.

Back
Top Bottom