Joining the military...What are you thoughts?

Originally Posted by blackngold1z

Son I have a question but it doesn't deserve its own thread. Maybe one of you guys can help.

I'm joining the reserves. What are the physical requirements (like running x amount of miles in x amont of time). I want to be prepared before I go. I'm 26 btw.
And I have mild asthma. Would this affect me at all?

My fiance's father is a Lt. Col. in the Air force stationed at Ramstein AFB in Germany. Those guys got it pretty made over there
pimp.gif

My fiance's father is a Lt. Col. in the Air force stationed at Ramstein AFB in Germany. Those guys got it pretty made over there
pimp.gif

Son I have a question but it doesn't deserve its own thread. Maybe one of you guys can help.

I'm joining the reserves. What are the physical requirements (like running x amount of miles in x amont of time). I want to be prepared before I go. I'm 26 btw.
Situps - 2mins .. shoot from 60-90
Pushup - 2 mins ..shoot from 60-80
2mi run  ..shoot for 16mins at the LEAST.

If your asthma isn't killing you with this and you're in pretty decent shape, you should be ok. Time is given between the tests btw. 

Just try to do your absolute best, look up the PFT standards, and lead from the front.

Situps - 2mins .. shoot from 60-90
Pushup - 2 mins ..shoot from 60-80
2mi run  ..shoot for 16mins at the LEAST.

If your asthma isn't killing you with this and you're in pretty decent shape, you should be ok. Time is given between the tests btw. 

Just try to do your absolute best, look up the PFT standards, and lead from the front.

Originally Posted by Sorkoram

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

ROTC limits you( a lot of academic and physical requirements) and you can lose a lot of money real quick within ROTC, but you do get the commission. I'd go ROTC if I had a lot of hours coming into college. I went to OCS and it wasn't that difficult, but others may tell you different. It is physically and mentally demanding, but if you were prepared prior, you'll do fine.

As for the Air Force guy, the Air Force does take really good care of you.

Just really think about what you'll gain from the military vs losing back home.
pimp.gif
Speak on your OCS experiences. I'm currently in the Navy OCS application stage but would like to hear about all OCS experiences. My friends bro got his commission through OCS and is at Ft. Meade right now. He said I'd excel within Navy OCS but not Army OCS. I only know about the Navy's process and how it is insanely selective it is right now.  How competitive is the selection process? What kind of tests do you have to pass (entrance exams, physicals, etc.)? How much did you run once you were there? What was your daily schedule like? 
I'll keep it short and sweet, most of it you can look up on the net.

Where? Rhode Island
- When you get there, you need to be at 22% body fat. You'll run a PFA  in the first 2 days(phys fit +*%%@) -- Push-ups, Curl-ups, sit-and-reach, 1.5mi run.  Since you're going OCS side, you'll take a second PFA, and you need to have improved on your initial one. You train 4-5 days out of the week and also do weight training, depending on how strong your class did on the PFAs. Also, pt will be less and less as the process goes on and more focused on instructional training. Shoot for the max and be ready before you get there.

Mentally, it's just one big mind game, seriously. Your drill instructors will be in your %%@ bro. It got so bad that we had to salute squirrels.
roll.gif
All they are trying to do is see if you break down in situations with high intensity/stress.

Selection - If you took care of business in schools and did well on the ASVAB, you're good as long as you follow the packet instructions.

Typical day - little sleep, little food, and a lot of criticism and bs thrown at you.

If you have more questions or would like for me to get more into detail, just hit my inbox.
I did Marine Corp OCS. Located in Quantico. Pretty much it was oriented as if you were going to be a Rifle Platoon Commander. Hellish training but at the end it gets you straight. I turned down my commission though for a career in Electrical Engineering and also I was burnt out on the Marine Corp (served six years reserve prior). For a young black male I would suggest you look at a different branch than the Marine Corp, too many politics and games.

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

ROTC limits you( a lot of academic and physical requirements) and you can lose a lot of money real quick within ROTC, but you do get the commission. I'd go ROTC if I had a lot of hours coming into college. I went to OCS and it wasn't that difficult, but others may tell you different. It is physically and mentally demanding, but if you were prepared prior, you'll do fine.

As for the Air Force guy, the Air Force does take really good care of you.

Just really think about what you'll gain from the military vs losing back home.
pimp.gif
Speak on your OCS experiences. I'm currently in the Navy OCS application stage but would like to hear about all OCS experiences. My friends bro got his commission through OCS and is at Ft. Meade right now. He said I'd excel within Navy OCS but not Army OCS. I only know about the Navy's process and how it is insanely selective it is right now.  How competitive is the selection process? What kind of tests do you have to pass (entrance exams, physicals, etc.)? How much did you run once you were there? What was your daily schedule like? 
I'll keep it short and sweet, most of it you can look up on the net.

Where? Rhode Island
- When you get there, you need to be at 22% body fat. You'll run a PFA  in the first 2 days(phys fit +*%%@) -- Push-ups, Curl-ups, sit-and-reach, 1.5mi run.  Since you're going OCS side, you'll take a second PFA, and you need to have improved on your initial one. You train 4-5 days out of the week and also do weight training, depending on how strong your class did on the PFAs. Also, pt will be less and less as the process goes on and more focused on instructional training. Shoot for the max and be ready before you get there.

Mentally, it's just one big mind game, seriously. Your drill instructors will be in your %%@ bro. It got so bad that we had to salute squirrels.
roll.gif
All they are trying to do is see if you break down in situations with high intensity/stress.

Selection - If you took care of business in schools and did well on the ASVAB, you're good as long as you follow the packet instructions.

Typical day - little sleep, little food, and a lot of criticism and bs thrown at you.

If you have more questions or would like for me to get more into detail, just hit my inbox.
I did Marine Corp OCS. Located in Quantico. Pretty much it was oriented as if you were going to be a Rifle Platoon Commander. Hellish training but at the end it gets you straight. I turned down my commission though for a career in Electrical Engineering and also I was burnt out on the Marine Corp (served six years reserve prior). For a young black male I would suggest you look at a different branch than the Marine Corp, too many politics and games.

Originally Posted by IheartDrums

i was thinking about it too, that is until the recruiter showed up at my door step . she changed my mind quickly and thats not even whats shes supposed to do.

happened to me that way too. i was looking to join right after high school but they changed my mind. im 21 and still think about it from time to time.

Originally Posted by IheartDrums

i was thinking about it too, that is until the recruiter showed up at my door step . she changed my mind quickly and thats not even whats shes supposed to do.

happened to me that way too. i was looking to join right after high school but they changed my mind. im 21 and still think about it from time to time.

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

well some of you guys know what you are talking about and some really do not have a clue at alll..... well I been in the military for 3 years now ARMY and im stationed in germany and was in italy not to long ago and went to iraq for 6 months... I like it, its not the bad how people make it out to be... you have to join in order to see how it really is... you cant always listen to what everybody else says and do you... dont expect to just sit at home and wait for an opportunity to pass by because that might never happen... just got to get out and get something started....

i dont regret joining but its not easy and nor is it too difficult.. i seen plenty of people do 20+ years in the military i mean how can you do that much time and say it sucks and dont join... the military has its ups and downs but i think more ups
yea some of these people in this thread dont have a clue what they are talking about.

been in 5 yrs(army) joining the military can only help you man.....

been to iraq and back AND I DONT regret joining!!!!!

Originally Posted by JayzOnMyToes

well some of you guys know what you are talking about and some really do not have a clue at alll..... well I been in the military for 3 years now ARMY and im stationed in germany and was in italy not to long ago and went to iraq for 6 months... I like it, its not the bad how people make it out to be... you have to join in order to see how it really is... you cant always listen to what everybody else says and do you... dont expect to just sit at home and wait for an opportunity to pass by because that might never happen... just got to get out and get something started....

i dont regret joining but its not easy and nor is it too difficult.. i seen plenty of people do 20+ years in the military i mean how can you do that much time and say it sucks and dont join... the military has its ups and downs but i think more ups
yea some of these people in this thread dont have a clue what they are talking about.

been in 5 yrs(army) joining the military can only help you man.....

been to iraq and back AND I DONT regret joining!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom