Jordan Slang

Sorry, not trying to get a fight started, BUT

Can we either compile a list of these off the wall nicknames for the Jordan line, or just stop using them? I dont know if it is because I am a little bitolder (28), or from a different area then most (WV), but I have no idea about some of these nicknames for the shoes.

Raptors???---> no clue

I know breds= Black and Red but come on, have we as people become so lazy that we cant type the words out?

It took me a year to figure out what Carmines were, by the way, where does that come from?

I know what Space Jams are, but I had to google the movie to remember what he wore in those. Isnt it easier to type "black 11's"????

Hares??--- Do we really say that because Bugs Bunny wore them in a commercial???

So, sorry if its just me, but somebody help me understand any terms that I am missing or can obviously get confused on. Does every shoe have one of thesenicknames because I have some studying to do.

"Raptors" - Black, red, purple VII's.

Hares isn't a bad name, I use it all the time, & they're my favorite Jordans.

"Space Jams" & "Carmines" aren't bad. "Breds" are terrible...

Some nicknames are good. Others are bad. Others don't even make sense, such as the Raptors. Considering they weren't even a team when the VII'scame out.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by ijapino

Don't even get me started.

roll.gif
i remember the first time i used a nickname on a pm to ijapino, and did i get a lesson.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Koopa2410

Don't even get me started.

roll.gif
i remember the first time i used a nickname on a pm to ijapino, and did i get a lesson.
roll.gif
Yea, I have seen a couple of his responses, I think he has a filter on his CPU, the lets him know when some typed the word "bred" icant blame him though i get lost easily.

Most of the nicknames come from the actual colorway of the shoe... just look on the box.

Black/Red = I, IV, XI
Fire Red = III, V
Cement = III, IV
Military = IV
Infrared = VI
Bordeaux = VII
Aqua = VIII
Concord = XI
Columbia = XI
Powder = IX
Stealth = XX, XX3
Steel = X
Lightning = XVII

Playoff = VIII, XII, XIII

There's more, but that's an idea of what you'd be able to find on the box alone.

Most of the nicknames come from the actual colorway of the shoe... just look on the box.
Those ones are okay in my book...

It's when people use breds, raptors, playoffs, allstars, quickstrikes, last shots, etc...Anyone that a name had to made up for. I mean yeah, I get it butthat doesn't mean I have to like it. I also understand that many of the younger collectors use them because it's an easier way to remember. I just grewup during a stage where we used the actual colornames and number. I honestly blame the whole Dunk movement on this.

It's funny but the correlation of using these nicknames and "newer" collectors is uncanny. And by newer collectors I mean people who have onlybeen in the shoe game for the past 8 years.

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

Yeah I never got why Raptor VIIs are known as Raptors???

maybe because they match the raptors jersey.
It's funny but the correlation of using these nicknames and "newer" collectors is uncanny. And by newer collectors I mean people who have only been in the shoe game for the past 8 years.

I didn't collect when I was younger and I still technically don't collect because I wear all my stuff into the ground and then get rid ofit. but I've been wearing j's for at least 13 years and I use some of those nicknames because like you said it's easier to remember and easier tosay.

Those ones are okay in my book...

It's when people use breds, raptors, playoffs, allstars, quickstrikes, last shots, etc...Anyone that a name had to made up for. I mean yeah, I get it but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

so you always refer to "spacejams" as black/royal blue XIs???
smile.gif

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

"Raptors" - Black, red, purple VII's.

Hares isn't a bad name, I use it all the time, & they're my favorite Jordans.

"Space Jams" & "Carmines" aren't bad. "Breds" are terrible...

Some nicknames are good. Others are bad. Others don't even make sense, such as the Raptors. Considering they weren't even a team when the VII's came out.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
Agreed,
pimp.gif

the ones that completely drive me up the wall are "breds", "raptors", and my personal favorite...the "oreo" 4s...

i seriously shake my head every time i hear someone refer to the black/grey 4s as the oreos...

Originally Posted by sikaDEnyAAVerage

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

Yeah I never got why Raptor VIIs are known as Raptors???
ive always wanted to ask that but i never got it

"Raptor" VII's came out wayy before the actual Raptor team (in the NBA
laugh.gif
) became a team
smile.gif

I use nicknames just as shorthand. I dont want to type out "black and royal blue air jordan XIs" so i just type "spacejams." Its also aneasy way for people to know what you are talking about. If you say "black XIs" you could be reffering to a few shoes. I agree though, some nicknamesare stupid.

in a issue of sole collector there was a list of jordan "colorway" slangs and slangs of all sneaker terms. i forgot what issue but it had a red laserair force low on the cover.

oreo 4's... what the hell people- i actually had to slap my friend when he asked if i had the "breds"- stuff like that just ruins my day
laugh.gif

i like the nicknames just because when im in public talking using the nicknames its kinda like a whole new language to other people passing by.

Back
Top Bottom