Jordan Slang

You know the term "concord" is now being used with the Women's Aqua 8's... didn't understand it when people kept telling me "niceconcords" (since I don't own the 11 concords).

i just use whatever term that is going to get you to understand what shoe im talking about. But number and colors of the shoe does work best.

Originally Posted by ijapino

Don't even get me started.

LOL. And wait for ska to come here...that will blow
laugh.gif

Some of them can get annoying, but some are actually used by JB like the All-Stars were supposed to be the official name or something. I actually thought itsounded stupid using nicknames when I talk to people so one time when I called footlocker to ask them if they had the Black/Red 8 because I didn't wantsound stupid the guy asked me if I was talking about the Playoffs

what i dont understand is people who say it's easier to identify a shoe with the nicknames, when they are usually described by colorway and model to beginwith...doesn't get much easier to identify a shoe than with those 2 pieces of info...

is saying "the raptor sevens" or "the last shots" that much easier than saying "the black/red sevens" or "the black/redfourteens" ?

laugh.gif
i just don't understand it

I think ijapino might concur with this. The whole "silly nicknames" thing in regard to Jordans started with the original "Pure $" IV'sback in the spring of 2000, or as some of the other "old timers" might remember them, the "Bling Blings."
roll.gif

so you always refer to "spacejams" as black/royal blue XIs???
lol...Space Jams are one of the few exceptions. The name actually has a meaning to the shoe.

But something like "Raptors"?? C'mon now. Everytime I see this term posted I want to delete the post. I understand it's because they matchthe OLD Raptors unis but get real. That nickname is such a slap in the face to the Jordan VII legacy. The Raptorsweren't even around when MJ was rockin these in the 92 Playoffs.

I've heard people refer to the white and cement 4's as the "cookies & cream" 4's.
smh.gif

Also once heard a guy on ISS refer to the Pure 3's as the "Bright White" 3's.
laugh.gif
After that, I decided to forego my ISS account to stayfull time on NT.
laugh.gif

"All-Star" XX3's =
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif

made no sense to me. they DID NOT come out the night of the ALL STAR GAME. might as well just call them the "Dunk Contest" XX3's

"breds" is the dumbest nickname for a jordan shoe imo...a lot of people that i know use it
laugh.gif
. space jams and hares are indeed an exception for me
smile.gif
oh well, whatever makes them happy

I personally don't mind the nicknames for the different sigs of Air Jordans... I just hate when kids call them Jays instead of Jordans.
Guess it comes with being a little older.

Nicknames really don't bother me at all. Everybody has their way of talking so i don't really care. I'll admit I use them sometimes, it makes iteasier to talk about sneakers sometimes.

here is my take on nicknames. i think that memorable shoes get nicknames for the most part. u never see anyone nicknaming any 15's or 2's, but the onesthat are "special" to collectors mostly get nicknames. good or bad. me and my people nickname a lot of stuff, not just shoes.

They're just nicknames....big deal....

Common sense, raptor's team logo is da same color as da VII's....

If u wanna keep it real, older heads hate us callin em by number, back then they were refered by their years (yo I got da 89 jordans) etc......

I don't have a problem with nicknames. Makes it easier to identify certain kicks too. I mean, if I said "white/black/red AJ VII," there might besome confusion, but if I say "Cardinal VII" everyone knows what I'm talking about immediately.

I agree with all of you guys. Some nicknames are a given, but some are completely ridiculous.

It all boils down to preference... I like the nicknames. But "Breds"...? Black and red isn't THAT much longer to say, is it?

I remember a post like this a while back, some cat nicknamed their shoes "Freds". Oh did we have a good chuckle with that.

i use nicknames just so people know what sneaker i'm talkin about. it takes me a good minute to say, "yeah, those black jay XI's with the bluejumpman." call me lazy, but i like space jams.

Originally Posted by ijapino

Most of the nicknames come from the actual colorway of the shoe... just look on the box.
Those ones are okay in my book...

It's when people use breds, raptors, playoffs, allstars, quickstrikes, last shots, etc...Anyone that a name had to made up for. I mean yeah, I get it but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I also understand that many of the younger collectors use them because it's an easier way to remember. I just grew up during a stage where we used the actual colornames and number. I honestly blame the whole Dunk movement on this.

It's funny but the correlation of using these nicknames and "newer" collectors is uncanny. And by newer collectors I mean people who have only been in the shoe game for the past 8 years.

I've only been in the shoe game 2 years, well with JB anyway, and it's all jibberish to me...guess I still have a lot to learn
ohwell.gif

It really doesn't matter whether somebody uses a nickname or not, as long as somebody knows what you're talkin' about, it should be thumbs up. Ifyou don't like it, don't use it...me? I use the slang if I need to get a point across...but I'll neer say "Bred." I'd rather type"supercalifragilousticexpialodocious" three times before I write that atrocious abbreviation / nickname.

To the originator of this post... "black 11's for space jam 11's" ? C'mon man. That's just atrocious. There are several black11's now. Black/red mid, black/red low, space jam, black/yellow low. I hate nick names too because I think people who come up w/ the nicknames try to soundcool in front of their friends. When someone approaches me and says "Ayo, dem mars's iz hott yo" I stare at them like they are speaking anotherlanguage. Sometimes my reply is "oh my shoes? My white/fire red Air Jordan IV's?"

All in all, nicknames are childish.

Back
Top Bottom