Jordan Slang

^ What culture do you belong to? Also... someone way up there said the III's are not cements.... Look at the box tag: White/Cement Grey-Fire Red.

You gota use nicknames now day. Alot of cats, especially the young heads don't know the numbers of most of em. I can say "I love the all blackXI's" to a cat... he's like what? But when you say somethin like "The Space jams"... they like ooooh ok. I mean it is some bad names outthere, but hey what can I say.

Originally Posted by BigLefty23

^ What culture do you belong to?
Hey, i've been in the Jordan game for QUITE a while, but am new to NT/posting. I hope u didn't look at my posting numbers before making thatcomment.

As for the nicknames, it IS part of culture. It's quick reference. yeah, I hate "Breds" but if I say black/red XI's, it doesn't have thatpizazz/flavor as if I said Bred XIs. Same with Raptors, Oreos, White Cement IIIs, Altitudes, Melo IIs, Black Toe Is, Grapes, Carolina Vs, Hares, Aquas, SpaceJams, Taxis, All-Star XX3s, etc.... It's quick reference. I immediately know what the other ppl mean without saying/typing the whole thing out.

Case in point: who says Jennifer Lopez anymore instead of Jay-Lo? Remember "Bennifer?" People didn't say Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck'srelationship. Or Puff Diddy, P Diddy, Puff.....he's just called Diddy now. Rihanna, Madonna, Biggie??? There are MANY more examples, but I'm sure mypoint is clear. It's all quick reference. It IS sneaker culture, and yet it isn't. It's just modern day society, really. Texting, emoticons,nicknames. We like to keep things short. Times have changed, and sneaker culture is going right along with for the ride.

Originally Posted by ijapino

Most of the nicknames come from the actual colorway of the shoe... just look on the box.
Those ones are okay in my book...

It's when people use breds, raptors, playoffs, allstars, quickstrikes, last shots, etc...Anyone that a name had to made up for. I mean yeah, I get it but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I also understand that many of the younger collectors use them because it's an easier way to remember. I just grew up during a stage where we used the actual colornames and number. I honestly blame the whole Dunk movement on this.

It's funny but the correlation of using these nicknames and "newer" collectors is uncanny. And by newer collectors I mean people who have only been in the shoe game for the past 8 years.

i agree

Originally Posted by 2TigerFan3

I hate nicknames

I couldn't agree more. Fans came up with this crap, they are never referenced officially as these names, just call them by their color.And whoever came up with "Raptor" 7's should be slapped, I hate that name the worst, if u recall, the Raptors weren't even a franchise whenthat shoe came out, lol. So how could it have that nickname? Kids today......
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

in a issue of sole collector there was a list of jordan "colorway" slangs and slangs of all sneaker terms. i forgot what issue but it had a red laser air force low on the cover.

i actually like the name and shoe and btw theydo look like oreos so
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by nickjaysforlife

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

in a issue of sole collector there was a list of jordan "colorway" slangs and slangs of all sneaker terms. i forgot what issue but it had a red laser air force low on the cover.

i actually like the name and shoe and btw theydo look like oreos so
tongue.gif
sorry wrong one but u get my point

I can understand the Spacejam nickname, but how lazy can someone be to just type Black/Red instead of Bred? I do not use all the nicknames, only the sensibleones.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE FLU'S? (XII) I honestly dont have a problem with the nick names. its sometimes easier than saying the whole color descriptionof the shoe. and no... i didnt just start collecting shoes. and many will fight about this..... and i know im wrong but refuse.... SEPTEMBER >>> SPORTBLUE.

Originally Posted by never wear them

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE FLU'S? (XII) I honestly dont have a problem with the nick names. its sometimes easier than saying the whole color description of the shoe. and no... i didnt just start collecting shoes. and many will fight about this..... and i know im wrong but refuse.... SEPTEMBER >>> SPORT BLUE.

smh.gif
Worst nickname HANDS DOWN.

Originally Posted by veGAtts

Originally Posted by sobe it1

whoever refers to White/Grey IIIs as Cement IIIs is incorrect. Cement is the speckle pattern that is on the IVs... In architecture, a cement pattern is used as a short form to indicate where concrete is used. Clearly on the IIIs it's an elephant print.

So referring to them as cement IIIs is just wrong (no cement print on it - its elephant)

the grey on those 3s is cement grey. same as the 4s you mention. the speckles are just that, speckles, have nothing to do with the cement color.
i never understood this. because i got some jordan ol' schools for basketball and they have the same print as the 3's, but they call themelephant print rather than cement.

my uncle told me that back in the day him and his friends use to call the shoe by the year they were released like the. example: the 85's(the 1s but theywould also say the color of the shoe bc it would be confusing if two shoes released in the same year and you both called them the 84's) you wouldn'tknow what shoe and color they'd be talkin about thats why.

i think we should start a list thought but not the kind he's talking bout. im talking bout for CDP, etc. ( and i know what it stands for im just saying forthe ones new to the game)

alot of people back in the day use the call the 15's the elfs because of the shape of the shoe as far as the flu 12's or bred 12's horriblenicknames for my all time favorite jordan

Originally Posted by nick0lis

Originally Posted by veGAtts

Originally Posted by sobe it1

whoever refers to White/Grey IIIs as Cement IIIs is incorrect. Cement is the speckle pattern that is on the IVs... In architecture, a cement pattern is used as a short form to indicate where concrete is used. Clearly on the IIIs it's an elephant print.

So referring to them as cement IIIs is just wrong (no cement print on it - its elephant)

the grey on those 3s is cement grey. same as the 4s you mention. the speckles are just that, speckles, have nothing to do with the cement color.
i never understood this. because i got some jordan ol' schools for basketball and they have the same print as the 3's, but they call them elephant print rather than cement.

the print is elephant print. always has been.

calling it cement print is WRONG. cement is the shade of grey used on 3s, 4s, and apparently Ol'Schools.
there is no such thing as "cementprint" it just happens that the first few 3s had their elephant print on cement color areas. thats all there is to it. not all elephant print is on cementeither, look at the various colorful 11 lows, you can see elephant print on blue, yellow, black, etc etc.

PS - wow, what a random resurrection

Originally Posted by Prolific Sole

Nicknames really don't bother me at all. Everybody has their way of talking so i don't really care. I'll admit I use them sometimes, it makes it easier to talk about sneakers sometimes.

100000% Co signed

The only nickname that really bugs me is Bred's. And Playoff's get confusing when it comes to XIII's.

No one somes it up more than JordansRMyCrack these post on nicknames are getting pretty repetitive its really childish...........the nicknames are what theyare which is obvious mars IV = white/black/varsity red IV's with mars blackmons face on it.......the raptors are obviously the black/red 7's becausewhat other team in the nba has a black/red/purple jersey plus when they retro'd that was around the same time vince carter killed the dunk contest whichlead to alot of people buying the jersey to match the sneakers ultimatly calling them raptors

Shouldnt AF1 collectors get mad when people call the purple/yellow color way "lakers"??? or shouldn't they get mad when they call them uptowns???

Back
Top Bottom