*** JUST A REMINDER: PAC WAS NOT AN MC/LYRICIST.. ***

I can not believe I am seeing people say Pac was weak/ overrated/ etc. He may not be in your top 5, but he was not weak or overrated by anymeans.

yet is in all of your favorite rappers favorite rappers top 5 lists should obviously tell you something

Maybe not a "lyricist", but it's straight stupidity to say Pac wasn't an MC.

And thus, your opinion becomes VOID.

Originally Posted by SLRS

I understand this topic is made every hour on the hour on some ol Jay-Z's premiering a new video for his single type shh.. But the discussion was brought up today after exams/finals when I made the statement that Pac wasn't a lyricist and that B.I.G. > Pac (which I assumed was common knowledge to anyone that listens to hiphop at least.) and he wasn't in my top 5 all time lyricist list.

My list currently stands at:
Eminem
Nas
Jay-Z
B.I.G.
Lupe

But on the real I need someone here to really tell me what Pac was because he definitely cant make a "Meet The Parents" or a "Nas Rewind" And cats really had the nerve to say that Pac had a "flow"
laugh.gif
I guess Im missing somthing cause I honestly hear the same flow on every Pac track.
laugh.gif

P.S. I dont own any Pac tracks on my comp.
laugh.gif
Ive heard majority of his stuff (ok i'm lying. dude got 76657865 albums and probably more to come) and IMO his best work is Me Against The World. I just dont see anything "lyrical" about Pac.
ohwell.gif
roll.gif
x 100 how did he get on that list?? If you think he anywhere close to any of those rappers than
indifferent.gif

I feel like Biggie made a better use of literary devices whereas Pac has little to no literary devices.

I believe that Pac's songs had straight-forward messages that didn't require any codices to decipher but they were still great songs. Biggie had Pac interms of flow and mic presence/swag.

Overall, I guess it's just up to your personal style.

Hey!

I'm learning more and more with every response what Pac really was.

I ain't hating on dude. Like I mentioned, I am a fan of Pac I still don't consider him an emcee in my books. And whats my definition of an emcee? Kindof like what dude above mentioned. Use of "literary devices" flow, delivery, etc. So ok, Pac was a "different" kind of emcee. I stilldon't see how.
frown.gif

Those saying Pac was little overrated.. that's kind of how I feel.

BTW, anybody who doesn't think Em isn't a top 10 hip-hop/rap artist is a fool
I guess I'm a fool then.

And at this point, the Pac "mystique" has grown to a level where he is above legitimate criticism to the average hip hop fan. This train of thoughtseems to be the popular consensus. The myth has become bigger than the man. He is the rap superhero to most.
He was not an exceptional emcee/rapper in my opinion. Some of his messages were important, Yes. But so were a lot of other emcees (Chuck D, KRS, Mos Def ect).I'm not saying he was bad......not at all. But lets keep this thing in perspective.

^Like I don't understand how you can say he's not an MC..
Everybody doesn't rhyme with punchlines and all that.. that surely doesn't make you an MC..
Though I tend to use extended metaphors and all that in my rhymes, my overall goal is to convey a message through song..
Matter of fact, with all this talk about who's an MC and who's not, is making all these punchlines and sh_ seem necessary..
And that's simply not true.. Pac was not only an MC, but one of the best to do it.. maybe he's not for you..

Dear Lord can you hear me, tell me what to say
to my unborn seed in, case I pass away
Will my child get to feel love
Or are we all just cursed to be street thugs? Cause bein black hurts
And even worse if you speak first
Livin my life as an Outlaw, what could be worse?
Cause maybe if I tried to change
Who I'm kiddin? I'ma thug 'til I die, I'ma rider mayne
Touch bases, eat lunch at plush places
Regular criminal oasis awaits us
If there's a ghetto for true thugs, I'll see you there
And I'm sorry for not bein there
Just know your daddy was a soldier, me against the world
Bless the boys, and all my little girls
To the Lord I'm eternal, restin in peace
Please take care of all my seeds, to my unborn child

^LOL.. that's what I'm tryna fathom.. no offense to anybody in this thread, but SLRS, are you white?

This man has been dead for more than 10 years.........why can't people just let it go??

And why does it matter to YOU what everybody thinks about pac?? Let the man rest in peace

FYI....he told a story with all of his songs......if you actually LISTEN to what he is saying and stop trying to figure out why people think he hasflow....then you would see

Get him...
^Like I don't understand how you can say he's not an MC..

GET HIM...
Everybody doesn't rhyme with punchlines and all that.. that surely doesn't make you an MC..

__ I said GET HIM!!!
Though I tend to use extended metaphors and all that in my rhymes, my overall goal is to convey a message through song..

The bottom line is:
Matter of fact, with all this talk about who's an MC and who's not, is making all these punchlines and sh_ seem necessary..
And that's simply not true.. Pac was not only an MC, but one of the best to do it.. maybe he's not for you..

Well put my brother
pimp.gif

Rilla, Thank you.. LOL but yo, I just remembered I have a song that I need to get you on..
It'll make it more complete.. tell me where I can send it, to see if you f_ wit it and you can write a verse before you come down..

So, you state what you believe the definition of a lyricist is, state the definition of what you believe an MC is, and say Pac isn't either?

JUST A REMINDER
laugh.gif
like you stating fact or something. Here's areminder - your opinion is yours, and that's it.

IMO Big > Pac. Big freestyle game was just ridiculous! You could tell a song from a freestyle.

Anyways wayne is crushing both of them.

Dont take that last line seriously.

Originally Posted by iLLscan

BTW, anybody who doesn't think Em isn't a top 10 hip-hop/rap artist is a fool
I guess I'm a fool then.

And at this point, the Pac "mystique" has grown to a level where he is above legitimate criticism to the average hip hop fan. This train of thought seems to be the popular consensus. The myth has become bigger than the man. He is the rap superhero to most.
He was not an exceptional emcee/rapper in my opinion. Some of his messages were important, Yes. But so were a lot of other emcees (Chuck D, KRS, Mos Def ect). I'm not saying he was bad......not at all. But lets keep this thing in perspective.

Another good point.. And you a fool if Em isnt really in your Top 10.

First of all, lyrically, Big Pun crushes ALL

If he didn't die, I don't think Em would no be way near as respected as he is as a lyricist

Second of all, calling Pac a lyricist is like calling AI a point guard

The point is, Pac TRANSCENDED THE GAME just like AI did for basketball.

It's deeper than rhymes and hooks, it's the ART of the music, and THAT's why people talk about him ten years from when he died.

LUPE? Forget 10 years, people barely talk about him NOW.

And to say Pac ain't lyrical? You musta only heard the songs on radio.....2Pacalypse Now, Me Against the World, Can U Hear Me.

I mean, to say Pac ain't an MC just goes to show how much you know about RAP. Were you even of age in the 90's? That's the only reason why someonewould say something like that.

Originally Posted by jomitm

i never understood this logic.

so just because he didn't write double entendres, deep #%$ metaphors and shh ala big, hov, nas, etc. he's not a lyricist anymore?
if i'm not mistaken a lyricist is someone who writes/wrote lyrics which pac clearly did...and kept on doing til his final days...

yeah his lyrics weren't as profound as others, but he made clear-cut, straight shh that you felt...and that's what made him pac.
you can't undermine a guy for being himself and being able to share his music...

he's a lyricist. point blank. period.

pretty much sums it up right there

HAHA. Damn this thread comes up every week. Pac not a lyricist? LOL. Yeah that is why he sold MILLIONS of records right? That's why he still talked aboutnearly 12 years after his death? That is why nearly every rapper has NOTHING but RESPECT for him? I was just arguing it in the other Pac thread so I ain'ttrying to get into this again. But if you mention Lupe and Pac in the same sentence....YOU LOSE all credibility.

jomitm- pretty much summed it up

Originally Posted by theknowledgeableprofessor

ohwell.gif

He painted pictures with words. No double meanings like Jay-Z, but strong, factual arguments. He had his own unique rhyme-scheme.

Man, does lyrical content count for anything today? "Word to Kanye West," as some of you may say.

um no... in most cases he a had a weak one syllable per line rhyme scheme occasionally it became more complex but rarely.. its no where near as complex assay em,lupe,cassidy ect...

Hmmm...let's take a look at your list here...

Eminem -- Yes.
Nas -- Yes.
Jay-Z -- Yes.
B.I.G. -- Yes.
Lupe -- KILL YOURSELF.

Seriously, I'm a Lupe fan and all. By no means a stan, but I respect his skill, which is clearly evident. He's nice. I'm glad you like him, too.

But your opinion is null and void if he's in your top 5 ALL-TIME list.

End of story.

Back
Top Bottom