KD 11

Yeah I just caved and bought the Lebron XV lows w/solid outside. Maybe will still cop on discount but I really needed a solid jump shoe now. Oh well.

I hear these are a no go for anyone looking to play ball in these. I hear the support and containment is as worst as the Lebron XV. Every lateral move feels like your going to roll your foot.

I read that as well. They are comfortable but after wearing my pair yesterday i have a nasty blister on my big toe from them on the outside. Hopefully it is a heat blister and not from rubbing. The front flyknit is hard as a rock around the outside of the toes and may not suit wider footed friends as well as the 10 and 9. Guess if its from the construction my oreos will be my last pair till the 12 and i will have to go back and grab more 9's and 10's

I hear these are a no go for anyone looking to play ball in these. I hear the support and containment is as worst as the Lebron XV. Every lateral move feels like your going to roll your foot.

I read that as well. They are comfortable but after wearing my pair yesterday i have a nasty blister on my big toe from them on the outside. Hopefully it is a heat blister and not from rubbing. The front flyknit is hard as a rock around the outside of the toes and may not suit wider footed friends as well as the 10 and 9. Guess if its from the construction my oreos will be my last pair till the 12 and i will have to go back and grab more 9's and 10's
This is why Nike needs to do away with these one piece flyknit uppers for ball. Leave that stuff to the running shoes

An outrigger would have helped, Which XV lack. I dissagre with containment issues on the Lebron XV cause the shoe has no loose tounge for your foot to go anywhere. It’s ages rock slip on and not slip off as well.

I have 0 idea what they were thinking making the flyknit as hard as it is around the toe. If he truly wants the shoe to be loose like a slipper why enforce that area, not everyone wears their shoes a whole size larger than they should like he does. I at times do not understand nike, the bron 15 flyknit is pretty damn soft actually around the foot and still contains his foot and the force he puts on them. Why not use that knit and battleknit on the kds. I think a large part of the unstable feeling is the height of the midsole combined with it being straight up and down and as well as not having outriggers. Chunky midsoles are not a trend in basketball, nike may learn from this mistake hopefully but i would lean towards them not

I've been saying this all along since the KD9's debuted.

My main issue is the lack of outrigger for these types of shoes. The game of basketball has changed, people are more athletic, more mobile. This means more forward/backward and lateral movements.

The outsoles of the KD 9/10 and LeBron 15 are strait up and down, no curve nothing. One slight miscalculated landing, first step or movement that tips your ankle laterally will be more prone to a sprain or otherwise. Same goes with the design/height of the full-length Zoom Air and how it's been built for these models.

Throw in full FK and it's a pretty bad combo.

That said, it's amazing how LeBron and KD don't suffer the same fate? Sure Nike would've rigorously tested these concerns with the athletes themselves way before production phases commenced.

Somehow it feels like the concept of a physical outrigger i.e. on sole is integrating into the upper. Logically, this why the FK yarn is reinforced in particular areas. The Why Not Zer0.1 has the outrigger built into the footbed and it's massive! This is due to Russ' type of game - somewhat different to KD/LeBron.

Like I said, Nike R&D would've validated their designs. It'd be interesting to see what types of injuries correlate with these models.

In my post in the NXT 360 thread I mentioned the importance of balance of the elements in a shoe and how these elements compliment each other. It's not a matter of simply tacking on extra straps, or extra Zoom bags to make the shoe work. If you change something another thing needs to pick up the slack. Everything needs to work in harmony, or at least be as close as it can. A prime example is the lack of a solid rubber sole in the NXT 360 - how does a solid rubber sole impact the role of Lunarlon/React? Does it need to be more dense? What about the flexibility and yarn of the FK?

Man.. it'd be so interesting to chat with the Eric Avars, Leo Changs, Tinkers etc.

Anyway rant over lol

Edit: Kyrie 4 concept:
https://ibb.co/hj1ykT
hj1ykT

This is why Nike needs to do away with these one piece flyknit uppers for ball. Leave that stuff to the running shoes

An outrigger would have helped, Which XV lack. I dissagre with containment issues on the Lebron XV cause the shoe has no loose tounge for your foot to go anywhere. It’s ages rock slip on and not slip off as well.

I have 0 idea what they were thinking making the flyknit as hard as it is around the toe. If he truly wants the shoe to be loose like a slipper why enforce that area, not everyone wears their shoes a whole size larger than they should like he does. I at times do not understand nike, the bron 15 flyknit is pretty damn soft actually around the foot and still contains his foot and the force he puts on them. Why not use that knit and battleknit on the kds. I think a large part of the unstable feeling is the height of the midsole combined with it being straight up and down and as well as not having outriggers. Chunky midsoles are not a trend in basketball, nike may learn from this mistake hopefully but i would lean towards them not

Last edited:
That’s terrible if these end up being bad performers due to something as simple as an outrigger.

I've been saying this all along since the KD9's debuted.

My main issue is the lack of outrigger for these types of shoes. The game of basketball has changed, people are more athletic, more mobile. This means more forward/backward and lateral movements.

The outsoles of the KD 9/10 and LeBron 15 are strait up and down, no curve nothing. One slight miscalculated landing, first step or movement that tips your ankle laterally will be more prone to a sprain or otherwise. Same goes with the design/height of the full-length Zoom Air and how it's been built for these models.

Throw in full FK and it's a pretty bad combo.

That said, it's amazing how LeBron and KD don't suffer the same fate? Sure Nike would've rigorously tested these concerns with the athletes themselves way before production phases commenced.

Somehow it feels like the concept of a physical outrigger i.e. on sole is integrating into the upper. Logically, this why the FK yarn is reinforced in particular areas. The Why Not Zer0.1 has the outrigger built into the footbed and it's massive! This is due to Russ' type of game - somewhat different to KD/LeBron.

Like I said, Nike R&D would've validated their designs. It'd be interesting to see what types of injuries correlate with these models.

In my post in the NXT 360 thread I mentioned the importance of balance of the elements in a shoe and how these elements compliment each other. It's not a matter of simply tacking on extra straps, or extra Zoom bags to make the shoe work. If you change something another thing needs to pick up the slack. Everything needs to work in harmony, or at least be as close as it can. A prime example is the lack of a solid rubber sole in the NXT 360 - how does a solid rubber sole impact the role of Lunarlon/React? Does it need to be more dense? What about the flexibility and yarn of the FK?

Man.. it'd be so interesting to chat with the Eric Avars, Leo Changs, Tinkers etc.

Anyway rant over lol

Great points and insights and I agree. These $150/$200+ shoes are constantly changing with every new model cause of Nike developing new tech, and putting new tech with old tech.

It’s like you to have re-learn your footsteps/landing with every model you ball in.

I ball in Kobe’s/Lebrons for the most part. Two different major shoe setups cause I like to go fast so go for Kobe’s for the low to the ground feel and less foot fatigue when I’m playing.

But if Hurting I’m picking up my Lebrons cause they have a much comfortable ride with the over exposed zoom air/max air and better for impact protection.

They are sigs so they gonna tailor to the player not the consumer but man Nike needs to have certain elements or features for consumers as well.

If Nike can develop a interchangeable drop in midsole with different variations of impact protection tech, they will consistently get my money. They’ve done it with Jordan’s but that shoe was way to expensive for the masses.

I would bet nike makes kds personal model softer around the toes. I just picked up a pair of 31 lows and am leaning towards grabbing the blue bron 15 low or the grey/pink/teal ones if it us the actual stiffness of the knit on the 11's

Agree man.

I think switch out shoes, mainly due to traction. The traction in the 360's are mud on an average court, whereas the herringbone/solid rubber on the Kyrie 3 are more suitable.

Understandably, no shoe will have every tech on it, otherwise Nike won't be making money.

It'd be interesting to explore the drop-in midsole more, though I am guessing they don't want to mass produce midsoles that could eat into revenue from other models.

Great point re. sig shoes being made for the athlete. Someone who plays like Russ - won't probably as efficient in a LeBron 15, someone like Kyrie won't benefit in a KD.

I recall for Nike Football (Soccer), I think they were testing ankle flex and how that could influence ankle design. They had a Footballer wear a white sock and perform game-related drills which exposed the ankle to different angles. If i had to guess, at each angle they would spray-paint the white sock a specific colour and by the end of the test, the sock would no longer be white. I'm not too sure how they interpreted the colours and what this meant, but it's an interesting way of testing. Disclaimer: I don't know if this was the exact purpose of the white sock/test. I can't find that picture anymore!

I am sure they would've used heat mapping and muscle expenditure as well.

Sorry to bore anyone, but I find this stuff interesting! The tech behind the shoe.

As an aside I am pretty sure there was 1 or 2 NT members that Nike recruited - Alphaposite was one I think. He had some sick renders.

Great points and insights and I agree. These $150/$200+ shoes are constantly changing with every new model cause of Nike developing new tech, and putting new tech with old tech.

It’s like you to have re-learn your footsteps/landing with every model you ball in.

I ball in Kobe’s/Lebrons for the most part. Two different major shoe setups cause I like to go fast so go for Kobe’s for the low to the ground feel and less foot fatigue when I’m playing.

But if Hurting I’m picking up my Lebrons cause they have a much comfortable ride with the over exposed zoom air/max air and better for impact protection.

They are sigs so they gonna tailor to the player not the consumer but man Nike needs to have certain elements or features for consumers as well.

If Nike can develop a interchangeable drop in midsole with different variations of impact protection tech, they will consistently get my money. They’ve done it with Jordan’s but that shoe was way to expensive for the masses.

Funny thing is nike wonders why their casual basketball and on court sales have slowed so much, I would put that down straight to comfort of the shoes and how they feel casually as well as while playing ball. If you dont feel secure while playing basketball or making basketball style movements you 99% will not purchase that model to play in, and no one I know of wants some heavy tank style basketball shoe that is rigid as all hell to wear casually as it usually does not end up very comfortable to the everyday consumer. Looking at the fastpass opening review of them a size 9 weighs 15.3 ish ounces on the kd 11

So disappointed. Sounds like a step backwards again. Nike should know by now how to make good performing basketball shoes and yet they keep missing the mark with the last few KDs and Lebrons. This just reinforces the belief of many that Nike is more focused on the casual sales instead of the performance of their basketball shoes. Argh....

Back
Top Bottom