Kobe wants HS Basketball to improve...

*forget the messenger, but just hear the message
[h1]
[h1]Kobe Bryant Wants High School Basketball to Improve[/h1]
[h2]
[/h2]
Bean, who was honored by his high school last night, laments how young American ball players are brought up through the system compared to their European counterparts. Yahoo! reports: “On the Los Angeles Lakers’ preseason trip to Barcelona, Kobe Bryant watched the young kids with a basketball and marveled over the differences in the development of too many players in the States. ‘Every single one, it seemed – the 8-year-old, the 9-year-olds – go left and they go right,’ Bryant said. ‘The older ones shoot the jump hook with the left, and they shoot the jump hook with the right. You’ve got bigger kids who can shoot from the outside, who can handle the ball and play. A lot of young players that look like [Pau] Gasol, who are just so skilled. And now, you’ve got kids here in the States, 20 years old, who can’t do those things. Damn, you’ve got max players who can’t do that’ … ‘I really had a great high school coach,’ Bryant said. ‘I really had a great high school. I had the will to learn the game, but he had the knowledge to teach me the game. He would get there early to work with me on the basic things: midrange game, footwork. But these kids now, the coaches are catering to the star players. They don’t want to tell them when they’re messing up. They don’t want to correct things. They end up skating through things in AAU [Amateur Athletic Union], and go to college and still have all these weaknesses in their game. I don’t like it. I don’t like it. I think it’s a system thing we need to address in the United States.’
[/h1]

*forget the messenger, but just hear the message
[h1]
[h1]Kobe Bryant Wants High School Basketball to Improve[/h1]
[h2]
[/h2]
Bean, who was honored by his high school last night, laments how young American ball players are brought up through the system compared to their European counterparts. Yahoo! reports: “On the Los Angeles Lakers’ preseason trip to Barcelona, Kobe Bryant watched the young kids with a basketball and marveled over the differences in the development of too many players in the States. ‘Every single one, it seemed – the 8-year-old, the 9-year-olds – go left and they go right,’ Bryant said. ‘The older ones shoot the jump hook with the left, and they shoot the jump hook with the right. You’ve got bigger kids who can shoot from the outside, who can handle the ball and play. A lot of young players that look like [Pau] Gasol, who are just so skilled. And now, you’ve got kids here in the States, 20 years old, who can’t do those things. Damn, you’ve got max players who can’t do that’ … ‘I really had a great high school coach,’ Bryant said. ‘I really had a great high school. I had the will to learn the game, but he had the knowledge to teach me the game. He would get there early to work with me on the basic things: midrange game, footwork. But these kids now, the coaches are catering to the star players. They don’t want to tell them when they’re messing up. They don’t want to correct things. They end up skating through things in AAU [Amateur Athletic Union], and go to college and still have all these weaknesses in their game. I don’t like it. I don’t like it. I think it’s a system thing we need to address in the United States.’
[/h1]

Part of the reason that college and the NBA game is suffering...kids aren't getting the proper fundamentals in the lower levels.

I don't know how many of you guys still watch HS basketball, but man I've seen some pretty awful things in the past few years and it seems like it's just getting worse and worse.
No left hand, no concept of actual organized basketball, no fundamentals, I mean I can go on and on...

Part of the reason that college and the NBA game is suffering...kids aren't getting the proper fundamentals in the lower levels.

I don't know how many of you guys still watch HS basketball, but man I've seen some pretty awful things in the past few years and it seems like it's just getting worse and worse.
No left hand, no concept of actual organized basketball, no fundamentals, I mean I can go on and on...

We should worry about improving education before we start worrying about HS athletics.

Sports for young kids is out of control though

We should worry about improving education before we start worrying about HS athletics.

Sports for young kids is out of control though

KOBE helping out the future. Nice.
He should also add to the young players that NO MEANS NO.

KOBE helping out the future. Nice.
He should also add to the young players that NO MEANS NO.

Originally Posted by jville819

True, but that's not a topic reserved for discussing in the "sports and training" forum though.

Originally Posted by jville819

True, but that's not a topic reserved for discussing in the "sports and training" forum though.

Dude's definitely talking about LeBron in this one. And I know exactly what he means with high schoolers not getting their fundamentals down. I saw Ty Walker all throughout high school not even have basic big man skills at 7'0 and get straight embarrassed by 6'6 post players. Yet there he was on Rivals and other recruiting sites as a top 10 recruit in the nation. He got to Wake Forest 3 years ago and still hasn't done anything worth noting until this year where he's blocking 4 shots a game, but STILL doesn't have any type of post game to speak of even after Tim Duncan worked with him this past summer. You put a big label on these guys heads and annoint them as something that they CAN be, but they already think they are cause of scouts and these recruiting sites.

Dude's definitely talking about LeBron in this one. And I know exactly what he means with high schoolers not getting their fundamentals down. I saw Ty Walker all throughout high school not even have basic big man skills at 7'0 and get straight embarrassed by 6'6 post players. Yet there he was on Rivals and other recruiting sites as a top 10 recruit in the nation. He got to Wake Forest 3 years ago and still hasn't done anything worth noting until this year where he's blocking 4 shots a game, but STILL doesn't have any type of post game to speak of even after Tim Duncan worked with him this past summer. You put a big label on these guys heads and annoint them as something that they CAN be, but they already think they are cause of scouts and these recruiting sites.

Reading that passage makes you realize how unique Kobe's  path to the NBA was. Being a child of an NBA player, moving overseas and then returning stateside. I'm sure that plays a large part in his thinking to go along with his experience in high school and visit to Spain.

Reading that passage makes you realize how unique Kobe's  path to the NBA was. Being a child of an NBA player, moving overseas and then returning stateside. I'm sure that plays a large part in his thinking to go along with his experience in high school and visit to Spain.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Although I don't disagree with anything you said, that's going to pull the trigger to a 10+ page thread
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Although I don't disagree with anything you said, that's going to pull the trigger to a 10+ page thread
laugh.gif

I agree with this. I played against too many players who could fly and beat my teams athletically for a while. But once we took those lanes away and made them jump shooters, games would turn around quickly. It's just the sad truth.

Back
Top Bottom