Kobe wants HS Basketball to improve...

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

KOBE helping out the future. Nice.
He should also add to the young players that NO MEANS NO.

happy.gif

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Sorry Kobe most of the kids in the hood weren't fortunate like you.
grin.gif

Fortunate because he learned the fundamentals?

He's right ... the coaches now just don't take the time out to develop these players.

I still think Lebron should have a post game ... Wade wasn't good in High School, so yea ...
Fortunate to be able to see and develop many different styles and fundamentals the average AAU kid wont be able to see. Why you think Austin Rivers is so good?

Austin needs to work on his left...asap! although it's prob his only weakness...point is illustrated in reference to your comment.

Originally Posted by Jaw Knee C

Kobe speaks the truth. I coach my son's AAU team (10U) and I just tell my defense to force the offense and offensive player left. We beat teams that are more athletic and bigger because once they go to their weak hand and cutoff their preferred side of the court, they don't know what to do.

I always spend 1 hour every practice on just fundamentals and shooting and dribbling with their weak hand. Then on offense, the offense has to run on the left side because if they can run it on the left side, they can can run it on the right side.

Also, I also see a lot of coaches just runs plays all game long at this young age. The problem is if the play doesn't work, the kids don't know what to do....they'll just stand there like robots at the spot the play is designed for. You gotta teach kids how to play basketball....cutting, v-cuts, back doors, down picks, screening, triple threat, patience, go to the open spot on the court, spacing, etc etc.
QFT!
That's what's up and works damn near everytime. It amazes me how many ball players have no left hand whatsoever
30t6p3b.gif

grin.gif

He's right ... the coaches now just don't take the time out to develop these players.

I still think Lebron should have a post game ... Wade wasn't good in High School, so yea ...
Fortunate to be able to see and develop many different styles and fundamentals the average AAU kid wont be able to see. Why you think Austin Rivers is so good?

Austin needs to work on his left...asap! although it's prob his only weakness...point is illustrated in reference to your comment.

Kobe speaks the truth. I coach my son's AAU team (10U) and I just tell my defense to force the offense and offensive player left. We beat teams that are more athletic and bigger because once they go to their weak hand and cutoff their preferred side of the court, they don't know what to do.

I always spend 1 hour every practice on just fundamentals and shooting and dribbling with their weak hand. Then on offense, the offense has to run on the left side because if they can run it on the left side, they can can run it on the right side.

Also, I also see a lot of coaches just runs plays all game long at this young age. The problem is if the play doesn't work, the kids don't know what to do....they'll just stand there like robots at the spot the play is designed for. You gotta teach kids how to play basketball....cutting, v-cuts, back doors, down picks, screening, triple threat, patience, go to the open spot on the court, spacing, etc etc.
QFT!
That's what's up and works damn near everytime. It amazes me how many ball players have no left hand whatsoever
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by crobers 78

grin.gif

QFT!
30t6p3b.gif

So true.  But honestly some of it isn't the fact that they can't shoot with their left.  I have kids I coach that can shoot with their left just fine but they just don't have the confidence to do it every time down if needed.  Teaching the kids to be confident with their offhand is a bigger hurdle.  But then again, the team I coach, they aren't all incredible athletes.  I have 3 who'll be in a high D2 program and 2 who'll play in D3 more than likely.  So they had to work on their fundamentals because they weren't fortunate enough to be blessed with 35+inch verts.  And the one who is, is just 5'7.

And regarding that forcing to the offhand.  My team did this last year to this super athletic team in the playoffs.  Needless to say we won the game at halftime pretty much.  Got the other team so frustrated that the coach had to play his subs because the starters were screaming at one another.
roll.gif

Originally Posted by crobers 78

grin.gif

QFT!
30t6p3b.gif

So true.  But honestly some of it isn't the fact that they can't shoot with their left.  I have kids I coach that can shoot with their left just fine but they just don't have the confidence to do it every time down if needed.  Teaching the kids to be confident with their offhand is a bigger hurdle.  But then again, the team I coach, they aren't all incredible athletes.  I have 3 who'll be in a high D2 program and 2 who'll play in D3 more than likely.  So they had to work on their fundamentals because they weren't fortunate enough to be blessed with 35+inch verts.  And the one who is, is just 5'7.

And regarding that forcing to the offhand.  My team did this last year to this super athletic team in the playoffs.  Needless to say we won the game at halftime pretty much.  Got the other team so frustrated that the coach had to play his subs because the starters were screaming at one another.
roll.gif

lastly, i forgot his point is further proven by having a basically (in any other draft) a top 20 pick in devin ebanks sitting at the edge of the bench. some one like him should be forcing phil jackson's hand to play him.  im sure he is in practice daily cursing the kid like
grin.gif
30t6p3b.gif

lastly, i forgot his point is further proven by having a basically (in any other draft) a top 20 pick in devin ebanks sitting at the edge of the bench. some one like him should be forcing phil jackson's hand to play him.  im sure he is in practice daily cursing the kid like
grin.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Bingo. There are way, way too many coaches these days who are in it for themselves. It's a damn shame. Too many dudes out there looking to hit the jackpot and piggy back a superstar into a better career situation.
Exactly. They don't care about individual development of players. 

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Bingo. There are way, way too many coaches these days who are in it for themselves. It's a damn shame. Too many dudes out there looking to hit the jackpot and piggy back a superstar into a better career situation.
Exactly. They don't care about individual development of players. 

He couldnt be talking about Lebron. Lebron came into the league with a more complete game then Kobe Bryant both out of HS.

I think you stans forget Kobe was in learning mode his first couple of years.

He couldnt be talking about Lebron. Lebron came into the league with a more complete game then Kobe Bryant both out of HS.

Ehhh....Most of the things Kobe does on the floor isn't "fundamentally sound" to begin with, but to each its own.

But I do agree, HS Basketball is in a bad state. Definately hasto do with the maxpreps, calipreps, socalhoops, and rivals of the world. Kids in this day and age could care less about anything else,but a write up from someone who works on those sites.

Ehhh....Most of the things Kobe does on the floor isn't "fundamentally sound" to begin with, but to each its own.

But I do agree, HS Basketball is in a bad state. Definately hasto do with the maxpreps, calipreps, socalhoops, and rivals of the world. Kids in this day and age could care less about anything else,but a write up from someone who works on those sites.

Originally Posted by c0dyboy2222

he is right. In general high school basketball really went down hill after 2003. Dont get me wrong theirs still alot of talent but its on a serious decline.

I graduated in 2006, and I STRONGLY agree with this

Originally Posted by c0dyboy2222

he is right. In general high school basketball really went down hill after 2003. Dont get me wrong theirs still alot of talent but its on a serious decline.

I graduated in 2006, and I STRONGLY agree with this

Originally Posted by cartune

So because he had more opportunity coming in and passes better he's more complete?

Thats the only thing Lebron does better than Kobe is pass the ball better but really he only makes the pass that leads immediately to an assist.  He'll never do a "Hockey" assist to set a play up.

For duke who said Kobe does a lot of non fundamental things you must be talking about fading away while shooting.  MJ told him in the post you feel the defense with your legs and it's all about positioning for Kobe to be able to shoot those fades. 

Reggie could be off balance floating to the side but as long as he could square up his shooting mechanics he could make the shot.  The same goes for Jordan and Kobe but you got dudes trying to shoot the fades and off balance shots like these guys with terrible positioning, footwork, and body and shooting mechanics.

Originally Posted by cartune

So because he had more opportunity coming in and passes better he's more complete?

Thats the only thing Lebron does better than Kobe is pass the ball better but really he only makes the pass that leads immediately to an assist.  He'll never do a "Hockey" assist to set a play up.

For duke who said Kobe does a lot of non fundamental things you must be talking about fading away while shooting.  MJ told him in the post you feel the defense with your legs and it's all about positioning for Kobe to be able to shoot those fades. 

Reggie could be off balance floating to the side but as long as he could square up his shooting mechanics he could make the shot.  The same goes for Jordan and Kobe but you got dudes trying to shoot the fades and off balance shots like these guys with terrible positioning, footwork, and body and shooting mechanics.

Originally Posted by ehh

I joked that eventually every Top 150 HS prospect would start their own AAU team so they could shoot every single time down the court so no one would steal their shine.     
laugh.gif

AAU is only part of the problem (it's a big part, however). AAU, shoe company and even media hyping these kids up...it really made all too bad for these kids and even some coaches who are trying to steal the thunder from these kids. I mean, do we seriously expect these kids whose names are always popping up in internet and ESPNU and all that media outlet then add all the amenities that comes along when you are in top AAU circuit to listen to their coaches to play defense? 

Although, one thing that I have a problem with Kobe's comment is the difference between our school system and their school system because most of those kids who decides to play sports for their living, they decide that in fairly early age (like early-mid teens) and all they would do is play that particular sports (like they do that with soccer, they do that with just about any sports, basketball, tennis, hockey...you name it) while kids in States still have to figure out how to past their biology test following Monday or finish reading The Great Gatsby. Pressure to succeed (or even to do bare minimum) in academic gets even harder if you are going one of them prep school (compare to those kids in Europe, I mean). You can bring up Pau Gasol all you want (who went to medical school WHILE he was playing pro in Spain 
eek.gif
) but that's really rare even in Europe. 

Originally Posted by ehh

I joked that eventually every Top 150 HS prospect would start their own AAU team so they could shoot every single time down the court so no one would steal their shine.     
laugh.gif

AAU is only part of the problem (it's a big part, however). AAU, shoe company and even media hyping these kids up...it really made all too bad for these kids and even some coaches who are trying to steal the thunder from these kids. I mean, do we seriously expect these kids whose names are always popping up in internet and ESPNU and all that media outlet then add all the amenities that comes along when you are in top AAU circuit to listen to their coaches to play defense? 

Although, one thing that I have a problem with Kobe's comment is the difference between our school system and their school system because most of those kids who decides to play sports for their living, they decide that in fairly early age (like early-mid teens) and all they would do is play that particular sports (like they do that with soccer, they do that with just about any sports, basketball, tennis, hockey...you name it) while kids in States still have to figure out how to past their biology test following Monday or finish reading The Great Gatsby. Pressure to succeed (or even to do bare minimum) in academic gets even harder if you are going one of them prep school (compare to those kids in Europe, I mean). You can bring up Pau Gasol all you want (who went to medical school WHILE he was playing pro in Spain 
eek.gif
) but that's really rare even in Europe. 

Back
Top Bottom