Kobe wants HS Basketball to improve...

Originally Posted by grittyman20

On the HS level you have your traditional coaches, and then you have your AAU coaches.

I don't think AAU coaches are teaching fundamentals, why do they need to? They have a team full of all star players already...if someone can't do what it is that they need done, they'll just go out and find a player who can. It's very simple.

If you have a player on your HS team with any talent, then you probably want to keep them away from the AAU circuit. I remember one kid we had who got into the AAU circuit and came back completely full of himself. Stopped wanting to work hard, became very unreceptive to any criticism and I think the biggest thing was that instead of trying to improve his game over the summer he was busy playing in these traveling AAU leagues. You can try to teach someone all you want but if their not receptive, it doesn't matter.

No way it's all on the coaches in this situation.
QFT

Originally Posted by grittyman20

On the HS level you have your traditional coaches, and then you have your AAU coaches.

I don't think AAU coaches are teaching fundamentals, why do they need to? They have a team full of all star players already...if someone can't do what it is that they need done, they'll just go out and find a player who can. It's very simple.

If you have a player on your HS team with any talent, then you probably want to keep them away from the AAU circuit. I remember one kid we had who got into the AAU circuit and came back completely full of himself. Stopped wanting to work hard, became very unreceptive to any criticism and I think the biggest thing was that instead of trying to improve his game over the summer he was busy playing in these traveling AAU leagues. You can try to teach someone all you want but if their not receptive, it doesn't matter.

No way it's all on the coaches in this situation.
QFT

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by jville819

We should worry about improving education before we start worrying about HS athletics.
It's not impossible to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Why exactly should their be basketball reform? We are way better than the next country (Spain). What they have in fundamentals we have in athleticism.
You do realize that our best players have both athleticism and fundamentals, right?

We're talking about reforming those still developing their skills. 

We should worry about improving education before we start worrying about HS athletics.

Why exactly should their be basketball reform? We are way better than the next country (Spain). What they have in fundamentals we have in athleticism.
You do realize that our best players have both athleticism and fundamentals, right?

AAU and the coaches represent a small part of problem. How about we start looking at the shoe companies role in this mess? How about we start pointing the finger at Nike, Adidas, and co. for funding these programs and backing these shady programs? I'm sure Kobe won't go there.

AAU and the coaches represent a small part of problem. How about we start looking at the shoe companies role in this mess? How about we start pointing the finger at Nike, Adidas, and co. for funding these programs and backing these shady programs? I'm sure Kobe won't go there.

Originally Posted by amel223

Kids these days that play ball like to play the style they are playing. Why should we force them to do something that we probably dont want to see anyways? I like exciting basketball you guys really think the NBA would do so well if players played back to the basket basketball? People want to see flashy dunks, crossovers, and people getting their balls swatted to the front row. Basketball has changed a lot in the last 20 years we have more complete athletes competing in basketball. I remember watching an MJ documentary and dude said he started weightlifting in the early 90s. Kids are focusing on explosiveness and athleticism now fundamentals is playing a smaller role in atheltic training then before.

Kids these days that play ball like to play the style they are playing. Why should we force them to do something that we probably dont want to see anyways? I like exciting basketball you guys really think the NBA would do so well if players played back to the basket basketball? People want to see flashy dunks, crossovers, and people getting their balls swatted to the front row. Basketball has changed a lot in the last 20 years we have more complete athletes competing in basketball. I remember watching an MJ documentary and dude said he started weightlifting in the early 90s. Kids are focusing on explosiveness and athleticism now fundamentals is playing a smaller role in atheltic training then before.

Nobody said we should force anyone to do anything. Simply teaching them the fundamentals and whether or not they build on it then that is their choice. You can have explosive plays yet still have a solid foundation on the fundamentals of basketball. Simply giving them the chance and exposing it to them would have some sort of an impact on the way the game can be played.

Nobody said we should force anyone to do anything. Simply teaching them the fundamentals and whether or not they build on it then that is their choice. You can have explosive plays yet still have a solid foundation on the fundamentals of basketball. Simply giving them the chance and exposing it to them would have some sort of an impact on the way the game can be played.

Originally Posted by Philosoraptor

Nobody said we should force anyone to do anything. Simply teaching them the fundamentals and whether or not they build on it then that is their choice. You can have explosive plays yet still have a solid foundation on the fundamentals of basketball. Simply giving them the chance and exposing it to them would have some sort of an impact to some extent.
How can you expect a kid who is doing strength training to really accomplish the best of both worlds there is really only so much time you can have that kid working. You think Lebron would be that big if he focused most of his times on fundamentals? Right now Athleticism can take you a long way in the sports world.

Nobody said we should force anyone to do anything. Simply teaching them the fundamentals and whether or not they build on it then that is their choice. You can have explosive plays yet still have a solid foundation on the fundamentals of basketball. Simply giving them the chance and exposing it to them would have some sort of an impact to some extent.
How can you expect a kid who is doing strength training to really accomplish the best of both worlds there is really only so much time you can have that kid working. You think Lebron would be that big if he focused most of his times on fundamentals? Right now Athleticism can take you a long way in the sports world.

I'm not even sure you know what you're arguing anymore.
Like...why are you even trying to build an argument that suggests anything Kobe said is wrong...when it's the exact same sentiment EVERYONE has been sharing for a decade plus now? 

There has been a problem with youth development in American Basketball. 

But it's ok because they're lifting weights and are more explosive these days? Are you serious?

Like...why are you even trying to build an argument that suggests anything Kobe said is wrong...when it's the exact same sentiment EVERYONE has been sharing for a decade plus now? 

But it's ok because they're lifting weights and are more explosive these days? Are you serious?

JD617 wrote:
Dude's definitely talking about LeBron in this one.
You dudes listen to too many diss tracks, searching for subliminals and +%@$. Amare's "shot" at Bosh yesterday and now this?

Kobe's speaking on the widespread difference in how the game is taught in the States vs. in Europe. Nothing about this makes it seem like it was directed at any one player.
Lames here are always searching for some drama to create though. Kobe is correct in his assessment.

JD617 wrote:
Dude's definitely talking about LeBron in this one.
You dudes listen to too many diss tracks, searching for subliminals and +%@$. Amare's "shot" at Bosh yesterday and now this?

Kobe's speaking on the widespread difference in how the game is taught in the States vs. in Europe. Nothing about this makes it seem like it was directed at any one player.
Lames here are always searching for some drama to create though. Kobe is correct in his assessment.

Although I completely agree with Kobe,

I'd much rather see an overall change in the minds of young talented players. I'd like to see them respond to the media, money, and attention with more class and maturity.

Although I completely agree with Kobe,

I'd much rather see an overall change in the minds of young talented players. I'd like to see them respond to the media, money, and attention with more class and maturity.

Kids grow up watching too many highlights on sportscenter and don't realize the work players put in to get to where they are. Go to any rec center in America and I guarantee half the people in there will be shooting fade-aways and crazy floaters like they're Kobe.

Kids these days just suck in general. They're cocky, rude and all they do is play COD all day.

Kids grow up watching too many highlights on sportscenter and don't realize the work players put in to get to where they are. Go to any rec center in America and I guarantee half the people in there will be shooting fade-aways and crazy floaters like they're Kobe.

Kids these days just suck in general. They're cocky, rude and all they do is play COD all day.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Basically. The game of basketball has changed hell even the rules have changed. The NBA isnt your fathers league anymore its a bit different. If you dont see that then I cant help you. Something has to be sacrfaiced if we want to keep seeing these highlight players. Dwight Howard fundamentally isnt that good but look how he is dominating the league why should he change his style?

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Basically. The game of basketball has changed hell even the rules have changed. The NBA isnt your fathers league anymore its a bit different. If you dont see that then I cant help you. Something has to be sacrfaiced if we want to keep seeing these highlight players. Dwight Howard fundamentally isnt that good but look how he is dominating the league why should he change his style?

Kobe wasn't lying though... so why hate. Its not like his point is any less valid.

He didn't have to completely !@!% on the AAU though. Thats an entire entity...
grin.gif

Kobe wasn't lying though... so why hate. Its not like his point is any less valid.

He didn't have to completely !@!% on the AAU though. Thats an entire entity...
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom